PDA

View Full Version : Reds and Kenny Lofton linked according to Rosenthal

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds are interested in Kenny Lofton.
Signing Lofton would seemingly lead to top prospect Jay Bruce beginning the season in the minors, as the Reds could go with a Lofton-Ryan Freel or Lofton-Norris Hopper platoon in center field. Even at 41 years old Lofton is a fine platoon starter, hitting .296 with a .367 on-base percentage last season.

I could see that working out pretty well ... maybe

idriveabucket
02-11-2008, 01:57 AM
This will be Lofton's 10th team in 7 seasons. Wow. =) He's a good player in a platoon. I don't see him as an everyday option these days.

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 02:00 AM
If only he was a right handed hitter id drive to pick him up :(

Carin4Narron
02-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Mercker plus Wilison plus Lofton=no Blanton.

Jefferson24
02-11-2008, 09:06 AM

No Blanton = Good Thing for Reds

Only way we get Blanton is to over pay.

I'm not sure why we need to do anything at this point. I would be comfortable going with what we've got and seeing what happens. Chances are this isn't our year anyway.

Caveman Techie
02-11-2008, 09:15 AM

I don't understand your logic here. How does signing a 40 year old career reliever have anything to do with trading for a 28 year old starter? As I stated in another thread Mercker is a long shot to even make the team. Then to Wilson, if anything signing Wilson strengthens the speculation of trading for Blanton because then we have someone else to platoon with Hatte at First other than Votto.

I personally don't want them to make a trade for Blanton, he just gives up too many hits and I think he would not translate well to Great American.

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
If we sign him then doesnt that mean no Bruce for another year?

Nasty_Boy
02-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm fine with this as long as it means the end of Ryan Freel. I understand getting an insurance policy on Bruce, but hopefully Freel is moved for something/anything before opening day.

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 11:41 AM
If I had my pick Id take Freel over Hopper

CySeymour
02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
If we sign him then doesnt that mean no Bruce for another year?

Not necessarily...what are the odds of Jr. making through a whole season uninjured? Or even Freel? And at 41, you gotta figure even odds on Lofton getting injured at some point.

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I think Lofton is made out of rubber

Hey Meat
02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I just don't see the sense in this. If you are going to give up Bruce for starting pitching, possibly, but that would be a very bad move. Under no circumstances would I give up Bruce in a Blanton trade. This would not surprise me since we already made a bad move in my book by giving up Hamilton for Volquez this off season.

Natty Redlocks
02-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I just don't see the sense in this. If you are going to give up Bruce for starting pitching, possibly, but that would be a very bad move. Under no circumstances would I give up Bruce in a Blanton trade. This would not surprise me since we already made a bad move in my book by giving up Hamilton for Volquez this off season.

Bruce isn't going anywhere, except Louisville. Probably for most of the year, depending on Junior.

Stephenk29
02-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I was waiting for something like this to happen. I could live with it. I wonder how his noodle arm is still in tact though. I would think this would mean the end of the road for either Freel or Hopper. Maybe Hopper (?) since Freel is the super sub with a fat pay check.

redsfanmia
02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Pretty low risk move, he is still an average player and would have some trade value to a contender at the deadline if the Reds are out of it.

redsfan1966
02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I am against this....I want to go with what we have now, with the addition of a middle of the rotation pitcher if possible. We dont need to waste cash on a 41 yr old outfielder....I know Marty B talked up Kenny Lofton on last week's Hot Stove League....wonder if the Krivdog took his advice??

02-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Just make sure it's a one year deal. I could see a repeat of Stanton. 40 year old having good year last year, and it was his last good year.

Lockdwn11
02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I know it sounds crazy but I think this move may be the answer to our lineup ( This YEAR)....I mean if you platoon Lofton and Hopper in CF you come with this in the leadoff spot.

Lofton Vs. RHP:
.313 Avg., .386 OBP, .452 Slg (In 450 PA's)

Hopper Vs. LHP
.351 Avg., .385 OBP, .441 Slg.

With a OPS of 800+ I mean it sucks that Bruce would have to start out in AAA but it would make us a more complete team THIS YEAR.

Handofdeath
02-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I think this move may be the answer to our lineup ( This YEAR)....I mean if you platoon Lofton and Hopper in CF you come with this in the leadoff spot.

Lofton Vs. RHP:
.313 Avg., .386 OBP, .452 Slg (In 450 PA's)

Hopper Vs. LHP
.351 Avg., .385 OBP, .441 Slg.

With a OPS of 800+ I mean it sucks that Bruce would have to start out in AAA but it would make us a more complete team THIS YEAR.

Forget the SLG and OPS numbers, that's not their job. Getting on base is their job. I've got to think if they do the deal, Hopper and/or Freel are going to be traded. They could do much worse than Lofton at leadoff. His season's OBP since 2002 is

2002-.350
2003-.352
2004-.346
2005-.392
2006-.367

The Reds have absolutely needed a leadoff guy for years. Lofton would give you one, albeit for just one season.

Lockdwn11
02-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Forget the SLG and OPS numbers, that's not their job. Getting on base is their job. I've got to think if they do the deal, Hopper and/or Freel are going to be traded. They could do much worse than Lofton at leadoff. His season's OBP since 2002 is

2002-.350
2003-.352
2004-.346
2005-.392
2006-.367

The Reds have absolutely needed a leadoff guy for years. Lofton would give you one, albeit for just one season.

Hand, I put thier OBP in there not to mention you combine OBP+Slg to get OPS so I'm not sure what your getting at there? I don't think they would trade Hopper because IMO it only makes us a better team if you use a platoon of Lofton/Hopper in CF.

jmac
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I personally don't want them to make a trade for Blanton, he just gives up too many hits and I think he would not translate well to Great American.

While Blanton has appeared very hittable, his walks are microscopic which evens things out with guys that give up fewer hits but walk more.

02-11-2008, 07:49 PM
While Blanton has appeared very hittable, his walks are microscopic which evens things out with guys that give up fewer hits but walk more.

Not in GABP. Arroyo's numbers were very similar from 06 to 07, except for hits allowed. He had almost exactly the same # of walks, actually less homers in 07 than 06, but gave up 10 more hits in 30 less innings. That is the main reason his ERA went up by almost a run.

Anyway, Blanton's career WHIP is almost the same as Arroyo's but his road WHIP is a whopping 1.43, which is worse than Arroyo's WHIP last year.

CRedsLarkin11
02-11-2008, 07:51 PM
You had to see this coming as it's been well documented that Baker prefers veterans. Now, of course, if Bruce tears the cover off the ball this spring, there won't be any choice but to let him play now. Honestly, though, I don't see this as a bad thing. It would give the Reds more competition and a better looking leadoff platoon with Hopper as well as some decent defense in centerfield. Like some have already said, with Griffey's injury issues(I'm crossing my fingers too) it is more than likely that Bruce will see the majors at some point this season anyway. If he really is ready, Bruce should be starting everyday in center. If not, then this will work for now.

Natty Redlocks
02-11-2008, 08:07 PM
You had to see this coming as it's been well documented that Baker prefers veterans. Now, of course, if Bruce tears the cover off the ball this spring, there won't be any choice but to let him play now. Honestly, though, I don't see this as a bad thing. It would give the Reds more competition and a better looking leadoff platoon with Hopper as well as some decent defense in centerfield. Like some have already said, with Griffey's injury issues(I'm crossing my fingers too) it is more than likely that Bruce will see the majors at some point this season anyway. If he really is ready, Bruce should be starting everyday in center. If not, then this will work for now.
I don't think it matters if "Bruce is ready". Dusty decides when Bruce is ready. Reds fans are in for a rude awakening if they expect logical decisions from their new manager.

donnelly_31
02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Meat.....how can you think giving up Hamilton for the Rangers minor league pitcher of the year is a bad deal. Pitching wins and outfielders are a dime a dozen just look at how many run producing outfielders the reds have gone through in the last 10 years. As for Kenny Lofton the first word that comes to mind is WHY?!! Hopper Freel and Bruce are fine in center.

George Foster
02-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I think the only reason you sigh Lofton, is you know ahead of time, you are going to trade Freel, or Hopper. You don't need 4 guys out there compeating for Center Field. You need 3. At the end of Spring training, you would have your starter, your back-up and the 3rd guy could relieve Dunn or Griffey.

I'd say if they sign Lofton....by, by Freel.

mlbfan30
02-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I've always liked Lofton as a player and still think he's a decent Leadoff hitter.

But the Reds don't have use for him. He should not be facing LHP, so if we would need a RH bat to platoon, probably Freel or Hopper. But then what's the point of Going out of your way to sign a player, while Bruce would be more productive.

I could see the Reds getting Lofton, if they plan to trade him. Lofton can gain enough trade value to get something in return. This might net a decent prospect, and would hold back Bruce for 1/2 the season. I don't think Bruce needs time in AAA, but if the Reds maximize his arbitration clock, they can get him for an extra year. Is 3 months in 2008 worth more than a full season in 2014? Possibly, if the Reds are serious about winning. If the Reds want to win this season then Bruce should be starting.

AmarilloRed
02-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I just don't see a need for him this year. We have Freel, Hopper, and Bruce to share time in center field, and we won't need to get a center fielder until 2009 at best.

mroby85
02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
lofton is an experienced player that would be a nice fit for us this season in my opinion!

he has a high obp, and definitely has playoff experience.

this team doesn't have a true leadoff hitter that is proven, and i think kenny lofton gives us that.

flash
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
The reason you get Lofton may be is to bring Bruce up not to play center, but to play left. Leave Lofton and Hopper in Center and see what Dunn can get on the trading block. With both Bruce and Votto in the line-up the Reds really have an excess of left hand power.

AmarilloRed
02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
The reason you get Lofton may be is to bring Bruce up not to play center, but to play left. Leave Lofton and Hopper in Center and see what Dunn can get on the trading block. With both Bruce and Votto in the line-up the Reds really have an excess of left hand power.

I seriously doubt that will happen, as both the owner and Dunn have said they are interested in a LTC. It would be best to keep Votto at first base, especially as I have heard his defense is worse than Dunn's in LF.

redsfanmia
02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
I seriously doubt that will happen, as both the owner and Dunn have said they are interested in a LTC. It would be best to keep Votto at first base, especially as I have heard his defense is worse than Dunn's in LF.

I watched Votto play left in 3 games and he is better than Dunn out there.

RSNtransplant
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM

I love this idea, or insert other CF name for Lofton.

Nasty_Boy
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I watched Votto play left in 3 games and he is better than Dunn out there.

Three games... sounds like a nice sample size.

Nasty_Boy
02-12-2008, 05:02 PM

Dunn cannot be traded until the middle of June. Playing Bruce in LF would be a complete waste of his arm and range. And I wouldn't call 2 guys with 100 ML ABs an excess of lefthanded power. Let's not forget that Dunn has hit 40 or more HRs the past 4 seasons... if Votto or Bruce reach that number this season I will be more than shocked.

Handofdeath
02-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Hand, I put thier OBP in there not to mention you combine OBP+Slg to get OPS so I'm not sure what your getting at there? I don't think they would trade Hopper because IMO it only makes us a better team if you use a platoon of Lofton/Hopper in CF.

Thank you for your reply. I am, despite being educated in the Oklahoma public school system until I was 12, aware of how OPS is calculated. My points were one, it would seem unnecessary to carry, Lofton, Freel, and Hopper on the same team. Either one can play any of the OF positions. Two, either of the three players that were in the lineup would most certainly be batting leadoff. Lastly, as leadoff hitters I worry mainly about their OBP. You don't need high SLG from your leadoff guy, although it most certainly is nice. The idea is for them to get on base, which would usually mean 1B. They can then steal 2B or the #2 guy can move them over. The result is your best hitter coming to the plate with one out or less with at least one player in scoring position. The middle of the order hitters are the ones whose SLG numbers I care about most. I would point out that the numbers you quoted for Lofton and Hopper are just from last season. I added the previous seasons for Lofton to show how reliable he is at getting on base. Although the idea of a Hopper/Lofton platoon makes perfect sense to me.

Lockdwn11
02-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Thank you for your reply. I am, despite being educated in the Oklahoma public school system until I was 12, aware of how OPS is calculated. My points were one, it would seem unnecessary to carry, Lofton, Freel, and Hopper on the same team. Either one can play any of the OF positions. Two, either of the three players that were in the lineup would most certainly be batting leadoff. Lastly, as leadoff hitters I worry mainly about their OBP. You don't need high SLG from your leadoff guy, although it most certainly is nice. The idea is for them to get on base, which would usually mean 1B. They can then steal 2B or the #2 guy can move them over. The result is your best hitter coming to the plate with one out or less with at least one player in scoring position. The middle of the order hitters are the ones whose SLG numbers I care about most. I would point out that the numbers you quoted for Lofton and Hopper are just from last season. I added the previous seasons for Lofton to show how reliable he is at getting on base. Although the idea of a Hopper/Lofton platoon makes perfect sense to me.

Hand, that is all I was trying to say about the platoon's OPS I put thier OBP in the first set of stats and then I said with a OPS of 800 +. The OPS of Lofton/Hopper would be just the iceing on the cake so sorry for the mis-understanding.