PDA

View Full Version : Best Reds game you've attended

jhiller21
02-12-2008, 04:51 AM
After Watching tonight's Red's Rewind on FSN (the Red's 9 run comeback in the 8th and 9th innings, with Dunn's walk-off grand slam from 2006) got me thinking about the best Reds game I've attended.

It has to be Opening Day 2005. The Reds went into the bottom of the ninth down 6-4. Adam Dunn belted his second homer of the day (2 run shot) off of Braden Looper to tie the game, and in the next at-bat, in a 3-2 count, Joe Randa won it with a walk-off blast.

It was unlike anything I've experienced at GAB... Strangers were hugging each other and throwing their 6 dollar beers into the air. It was a great game to attend, especially on Opening Day.

What's your best memory at the park?

Redlegs
02-12-2008, 06:56 AM
I was at that opening day game too. It's right up there. I was at Pete's #4192 game, so I guess it'll have to get the nod.

redsfanfalcon
02-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Opening Day 05 and Dunn's walk off grand salami for me. Those were 2 great finishes.

redhawkfish
02-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Game 2 of the 1990 Wold Series when Joe Oliver doubled down he line to beat Eckersley and the A's.

Game 6 of the 1990 NLCS against the Pirates.

Bip Roberts
02-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Opening day in 05 and a 95 game 3 sweep of the dodgers

redhawk61
02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Oh so many to choose. Maybe a couple of years ago when Larkin was still around he hit a walk off home run, and being he was my favorite player it was pretty sweet. Especially since I got the lucky chance to have seats right on the Reds dugout. Can't remember who we were playing.

reds77
02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
1990 Game 2 of the World Series for the Oliver winning hit.

Stephenk29
02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Watched Wily Mo Pena hit a 530 foot shot and take one away too, that was pretty cool. Saw a LaRue walk off as well.

NorrisHopper30
02-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Vs the Yankees a few years ago when Castro hit it through Giambi's legs to win it.

Boston Red
02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Game 2 of the 1990 Wold Series when Joe Oliver doubled down he line to beat Eckersley and the A's.

Got me thinking of Billy Bates, so I checked his wikipedia entry. I'm sure this is old info for most, but I thought it was interesting. Talk about going out with a bang!

"Bates made his Major League Baseball debut with the Milwaukee Brewers on August 17, 1989, and appeared in his final game on October 18, 1990, when he scored the winning run for the Reds in Game 2 of the World Series. He never made another appearance in the major leagues."

mroby85
02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
the best one i've ever been to was the phillies game last year, when hatteberg homered with 2 outs in the 9th to tie it, and then phillips got a walk off single in the 10th, that javy was almost forced out at the plate on, lol.

NatiRedGals
02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Id have to say opening day 05 and also dunns walk off blast in the 12th 2nd year in a row off wickman

Jschaeff23
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
1990 NLCS Game 6

reds77
02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I was at a game where Deion Sanders plowed an Astros catcher (I think it was Scott Servias at the time). The crowd was chanting "Deion, Deion!" when he scored the run. It was a pretty cool moment.

GoReds33
02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
My two favorite are Wily Mo's bobblehead night, and when David Ross hit the walkoff against the Cardinals. I'll tell you one thing, GABP was electric before both hits. It's almost like we all knew it was coming. Two great games.

OUReds
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Johnny Bench appreciation night.

When he hit his home run...wow

Sean_CaseyRules
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Mine is defiantely Dunn's Walk-off Grandslam! I've never seen any place as rockin as GABP was in the 9th! All 3 decks were doing the wave in unison! It was unbelievable!

redsupport
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
frank pastore giving up a triple to brett butler in the first inning of a summer game in 1983. It was Brobdinagian

Cant Touch This
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
To separate the average regular season game from the landmark events such as 4192, Johnny Bench Day, World Series/playoff games, I submit this game in 1999 at home vs. the Diamonbacks as the most exciting game I attended. From the Enquirer:

The Reds trailed 4-2 entering the ninth, but the crowd of 24,670 went home ecstastic after Aaron Boone drilled a single to left to bring home the winning run.

The win kept the Reds in first place in the National League Central Division over Houston and lengthened their winning streak to eight games.

Barry Larkin is greeted by Greg Vaughn after scoring the tying run.
| ZOOM |
Greg Vaughn began the comeback with an infield single to begin the ninth, reaching when shortstop Hanley Frias misplayed his grounder. Barry Larkin then doubled to right off Diamondbacks rookie Vicente Padilla, making his major league debut for the NL Western Division leaders.

Eddie Taubensee then hit a blooper to shallow right that should have been a single. But right fielder Tony Womack tried to trap it and misjudged the bounce, and the ball bounded over his head and into deep right field, giving Taubensee a double and allowing both Vaughn and Larkin to score to tie it at 4-4.

Mike Cameron laid down a perfect bunt that advanced pinch-runner Chris Stynes to third, and Boone, who had a double and two walks in his previous at bats, smashed a liner to score Stynes for the game-winner.

I remember my friends and I chanting "Vicente Padilla!" akin to Naked Gun's "Enrico Pallazzo!"

will5979
02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
1. Game 6-1990 NLCS
2. Game 3-1995 NLDS
3. Opening Day-2002
4. Opening Day-1997
5. 2004 regular Season game vs. the Giants, I remember Griffey hitting 2 HRs in the win, and it was the last time I saw Larkin play ball, he hit a HR as well.

Jefferson24
02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
I've only been to 6 games since I live so far away. But the best one was Homer's debut. It really wasn't that great of a game but the pre game atmosphere was incredible and for him to pitch well enough for the win was great. The best part is I bought the tickets in March and just happened to land on the day Homer was to pitch. I only make it to 2 games a year, so that was pretty cool.

gedred69
02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
#3 Dunn's walk off GS.
#2 Bench, after several hrs. of rain delay in the '72 playoffs against the Pirates down a run in the ninth, HR to tie it, the Reds win on a WP.
#1 '76 WS bottom 9th 1 on, Catfish Hunter intentionally walks to get to the Big Dog. I had never, and haven't since seen such intensity in the stare-down between pitcher and batter as when Perez came to the plate. You could feel it, "This one belongs to the REDS". #1 and #2 were two of the best moments I ever shared with my Dad. We were there together at both. He never showed much emotional joy that I saw, ----except those times.

The Snow Chief
02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
When Bailey got out of a bases loaded jam in his first start against the Indians, that was the loudest I remember GABP.

I remember attending a weekend game in Riverfront in late summer 1990. It was one of a four game set against the Giants who were closing the gap on our division lead. We won the game and series. That was the most full I have ever seen Riverfront outside of opening day or a playoff game. The atmosphere was electric.

OUReds
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Ahh I remember that Giant's series. I wasn't there, but I attended the one before that. Those were fun times at Riverfront.

reds1869
02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Dunn's walk off against the Tribe was the best I've seen live. Watching Reds Replay last night brought back great memories of a great time with my dad.

Carin4Narron
02-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Game 5 of the '75 Series, Doggie's 2 homers and Gullet's masterpiece
Mets and Reds game in '88, when Pete bumped that silly boy ump and all hell broke loose.
Game 2 of the '90 Series, ''Billy Bates scores, And This one Belongs to the Reds and the Reds lead this World Series 2 games to nothing!''

_Sir_Charles_
02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Well, I've only been to a handful in Cincy. I grew up near Columbus so going to a game was a pretty rare occurance. I went to about 6 or 7 games at Riverfront back in the 70's. None of them were momentous games for anyone other than myself. There weren't any records broken, no perfect games thrown, no miracle comebacks. But for me, the best reds game I've ever attended would have to be the first one. I can still recall walking up the ramp to get my first glimpse of that beautiful green "grass". At that age I had no clue what astroturf was...it was grass to my untrained eyes. But plastic, fiberglass or actual turf...nothing looked more glorious than that field of green to this kid from Pataskala. I can still recall the annoyed look on JB's face as he signed some annoying kids glove. I've still got the autograph I got from Pete Rose (the only Red who would sign anything for me before the game). I thought that building was the most beautiful place in the world.

I've since grown up and moved to Houston. I've been to Minute Maid park about a dozen times in the past 3 or 4 years with my daughter. It's a nice park, but I only go when the Astros are playing the Reds. She's turning into a pretty decent Reds fan I'm proud to say. If I can convert my other 2 daughters over to the path of righteousness I'll consider my job complete. :O) Hopefully I'll get to go back one day and sit in GABP and watch my team play one on a sunny afternoon with my girls. But it won't be the same. Nothing will ever come close to that first glorious afternoon down by the riverside.

And for those of you who are curious...yes, we won that game. I've been lucky enough to have been on the winning side of every game I saw at Riverfront. Maybe I should've gone to more of them...it might still be standing.

mound_patrol
02-12-2008, 05:43 PM
When Dunn hit his 537 foot shot off of Jose Lima and Bailey's debut are my most memorable games.

Dunner44
02-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Wily Mo Bobblehead night and Homer's debut rank high up there. I also remember Javy hitting a walk off homer against the Mets in '06.

I also have fond memories from a game in '04 when the Reds kept playing in pouring rain and Griffey and Casey hit back to back homers. Danny Graves got the save that night... when was the last time that happened? The game was a lot of fun, but we missed Casey and Griffey's homers because we were on the stairs from the bleachers down to the third base side seats. Stupid ushers made us evacuate the bleachers because of lightning right as the homers were hit...

redsfan1966
02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
I was at the 1990 NLCS game 6 so that is definitely the most memorable....but one other that stands out is a game in 90 when Norm Charlton bowled over Mike Soscsia (I know I misspelled it) on a Sunday nite game at home plate...Homer's debut last season does rank up there...

namichael
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I've been to 12 games at GABP over the past 3 years and 2 at Riverfront when I was a kid. I've never seen them win in person. I'm starting to believe that I am cursed. :thumbdown

But don't worry if they have a shot at contending this year, I'm not going within a hundred miles of Cincinnati.

I was at the game when Hatteberg hit his 100th home run. Regretfully, I was at the concession stand getting my wife a piece of pizza.

redsfan1966
02-12-2008, 08:18 PM
namichael, please do not attend any games I do...which are primarily opening day and any business day specials...thank you...

namichael
02-12-2008, 08:34 PM
namichael, please do not attend any games I do...which are primarily opening day and any business day specials...thank you...

As a favor to you, I'll stay home on those days.

mlbfan30
02-12-2008, 08:52 PM
The best game I've been to was the most boring game.

It was 1-0 going into the bottom of the 9th against the Phillies in 2007. There were 2 outs and Hattaberg was at bat. The count was 3-1, then he hits a HR to tie the game. The crowd was amazing, the best I've witnessed. That moment was really great. The next inning Valentine hits a single with the bases loaded to win the game, but that wasn't as good.

Stephenk29
02-12-2008, 09:19 PM
The best game I've been to was the most boring game.

It was 1-0 going into the bottom of the 9th against the Phillies in 2007. There were 2 outs and Hattaberg was at bat. The count was 3-1, then he hits a HR to tie the game. The crowd was amazing, the best I've witnessed. That moment was really great. The next inning Valentine hits a single with the bases loaded to win the game, but that wasn't as good.

If I remember right I was at that one too. I go to a lot so its hard to remember what was in person or on FSN.

HeatherC1212
02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I think my favorite game was one against the D'Backs in 2006. It was the weekend of the Taste of Cincinnati (Memorial Day weekend I think?) and it was hotter than all get out that day. My friend and I were roasting in our seats that were right in the sun and the Reds were losing for just about the entire game. Bronson pitched and he wasn't too bad overall but other than a lead off HR by Freel, they couldn't get anything going against AZ. Then, they started slowly chipping away at the score and in the bottom of the ninth, it was 4-3 with AZ still leading when Austin Kearns came up to bat. He ended up working a walk from then AZ closer Valverde and after that Javy just crushed one into the AZ bullpen to get the walk off win. After sitting in the hot sun for like 3+ hours, having the Reds win the game in such a dramatic fashion definitely lifted my friend and I's spirits! :)

redsupport
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
the debut of Greg Tubbs

goreds2
02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
1975: My first Reds game against the Expos.

1990: It was a rainout against the Padres but us fans got word the Dodgers lost which clinched the division for the Reds. It was cool seeing Paul O'Neil slide head first on the wet tarp in celebrating. :)

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
J. Bench night--thought I'd crap my pants when he hit that home run...went to the game where the Reds got 14 in the bottom of the 1st versus the Astros...went to the Phillies game where Hatt hit the home run in the bottom of the 9th...nothing spectacular about this but also remember going to a doubleheader vs the Astros in the late 70's with my brother--was a hot summer day-we were there for probably 5-7 hours and I had such a bad sunburn all over my body it hurt to move for days.

SMcGavin
02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't know about the best, but I saw Chris Reitsma throw 8 innings of shutout ball a few years ago. That was pretty cool. Also saw Wily Mo launch two homers off the batter's eye in a win over the Cubs. Two players who I thought had real potential but never really figured it out.

redsfanmia
02-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I think my favorite game was one against the D'Backs in 2006. It was the weekend of the Taste of Cincinnati (Memorial Day weekend I think?) and it was hotter than all get out that day. My friend and I were roasting in our seats that were right in the sun and the Reds were losing for just about the entire game. Bronson pitched and he wasn't too bad overall but other than a lead off HR by Freel, they couldn't get anything going against AZ. Then, they started slowly chipping away at the score and in the bottom of the ninth, it was 4-3 with AZ still leading when Austin Kearns came up to bat. He ended up working a walk from then AZ closer Valverde and after that Javy just crushed one into the AZ bullpen to get the walk off win. After sitting in the hot sun for like 3+ hours, having the Reds win the game in such a dramatic fashion definitely lifted my friend and I's spirits! :)

I was at that game but my wife and mother-in-law (mainly wife) was complaining about how hot it was so finally I relented and we left in the 8th. Last game either of them will go to with me.

reds77
02-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Other games I saw live:

1. I was at the 4,192 game, but was in the third grade and have no memory of it. I didn't really start liking baseball until the 5th grade.

2. I was at the Pinella base throwing game.

3. I was at the game where Lenny Dykstra crashed into the non-padded wall and busted up his collar bone. I remember hearing his injury from the green seats.

4. I was at the first ever GABP opening day, nothing really special about it.

5. I was at the Riverfront/Cinergy Field softball game where Pete got to play. It was sweet hearing everyone chant "Pete! Pete!" Even though the guy isn't a model person, I still love the guy as a ball player.

6. I was at McGwire's first appearance in Cinergy Field after he broke Maris' record. The ovation he got was neat, pretty disappointing now to know what we know about steroid, etc.

7. I was at a game where Larkin hit 3 HRs, I believe Jim DeShaies (spelling) was pitching.

8. I was a big Andy Van Slyke fan growing up so I always went to a lot of Reds/Pirates games at Riverfront with my dad. Many good memories even though I was rooting for an enemy player.

Fun thread reading the games others have been to

IowaRed
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
June 14th 2002 Chris Sabo Bobblehead Night

My 2nd trip to Cincinnati to watch my beloved Reds in my 38 years of life. My wife, her sister, and my 1 year old daughter endured a rain delay and a fairly uneventful game until Aaron Boone homered to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth and then homered leading off the 11th to win it.

June 15th 2002 Fuji Film Day

The next afternoon we went on the field hoping to meet our favorite Sean Casey. We arrived late and when we finally got in through the OF gate Casey had alread gotten to the end. We were able to get his attention and he graciously walked back over, shook hands, chatted, and held our daughter who was wearing a Casey t-shirt for several pictures. It was a great thrill for my wife and I. There was another rain delay in the game and then Adam Dunn hit a 3-Run homer in the 7th to win it for the Reds.

A memorable couple of days

corbinky
02-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Watched Sean Casey hit a walk off I think it was against the Pirates in the last few games of Riverfront, we sat through about a 2 hour rain delay first

adampad
02-14-2008, 04:21 PM
I usually like to go during promotions so a lot of my favorite games are during them.

1a. Wily Mo Bobblehead night was awesome. I remember Milton giving up a grand slam to I think E. Perez too.

1b. Freel's amazing night against the Cards on Half Price night. I had planned on going on the bobblehead game the day before (or was it after) it, where Ross hit the walk off but had changed my mind after they announced the half price tickets. That catch Freel made was the single best play I've ever seen. Never seen a crowd cheer someone like before either.

3. Larkin gunned down tying run at the plate to end the game in one of the first interleague games with the Indians. I think the score was 2-1 or 1-0 in that game.

4. Castro's winning hit against the Yankees. I think Larue missed a walkoff by about a foot.

5. Reds beat down the Braves in ATL. Reds scored like 9 in the first 2 innings. All the Brave fans were super nice, and I caught a batting practice HR ball off the bat of a Red.

TC81190
02-14-2008, 08:23 PM
1. Bailey's debut. I've never seen GABP so alive; thinking about it now just gives me goosebumps. It was surreal, really, how everyone was pulling for Homer.

2. Wily Mo Bobblehead night. That walk off was sweet.

BoldOD
02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Sweep.

buffett0326
02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Adam Dunn walk off grand slam -vs- Cleveland. The whole stadium went crazy afterwords.

redsupport
02-14-2008, 10:27 PM
the day corky miller went 1 for the entire year

fugowitribe
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
The best baseball I've ever seen played was a 2-1 win over the Diamondbacks on ESPN. When Dimitri Young hit a two-run bomb about two rows behind me. I think Randy Johnson had like 17 strikeouts that night. Although it was a defensive struggle, it was a game played the way it was intended to be played.....Now the most entertaining game I have ever been to has to be Homer's opening night vs. Cleveland last year. GABP was electric, only being 19, I have never seen the reds in the playoffs in person, but those leaving the park that night said it was the closest thing to a playoff atmosphere since the Reds made it last.

Weasle 25
02-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I was there with my dad and uncle when Dunn hit the walk off grandslam. That whole night I was kinda down cuz of the 5 run first inning, but when Castro walked onto the on deck circle to pitch hit Dad was like well this night is shot.:) I told him because (sorry) but I root for Castro and i told Dad you watch hes the man and bam a 3 run shot to left. When Dunn came up with the bases loaded, You could feel the crowd in your chest, roaring and when he hit that ball it happened so fast that when it went over the crowd got even louder and louder, One day I hope soon, When we win the world series I'll be able to here that roaring crowd again.

GoGoWhiteSox
02-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Dunn's walk-off grand slam against Cleveland would have to be the one for me. That night was unreal.

goreds2
02-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Dunn's walk-off grand slam against Cleveland would have to be the one for me. That night was unreal.

700WLW plays that Marty call alot with the season getting near.

Farney
02-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I was at the game a couple seasons ago against the Phillies where a brawl broke out. Carlos Silva threw at Adam Dunn, and he charged the mound. That game had it all: A fight, a Griffey home run, a blowout Reds win, and most surprisingly a complete game shutout by none other than Jimmy Haynes.

OSUredsFAN
02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
My two favorite are Wily Mo's bobblehead night, and when David Ross hit the walkoff against the Cardinals. I'll tell you one thing, GABP was electric before both hits. It's almost like we all knew it was coming. Two great games.

That Cardinals game was the most electricity I've witnessed at GABP.

The best baseball I've ever seen played was a 2-1 win over the Diamondbacks on ESPN. When Dimitri Young hit a two-run bomb about two rows behind me. I think Randy Johnson had like 17 strikeouts that night. Although it was a defensive struggle, it was a game played the way it was intended to be played.....Now the most entertaining game I have ever been to has to be Homer's opening night vs. Cleveland last year. GABP was electric, only being 19, I have never seen the reds in the playoffs in person, but those leaving the park that night said it was the closest thing to a playoff atmosphere since the Reds made it last.

I was at that game too, what a game. I was sitting in the 1st row of red seats and the Dimitri HR came within a foot of me as I reached over the railing, if only I had longer arms.

Also a game that I went to here in Chicago verse the cubs when the Reds hit I think 6 home runs to beat the home team. I wasn't one of the greatest, but I had a great feeling afterwards. :beerme:

flash
02-20-2008, 09:13 AM
It was a long time ago, but Johnny Bench's last game as a Red against the Giants. He got a single and drove in two runs. I had just got engaged and went to the game with my fiance and parents. We had blue seats right behind home plate from my Dad's company. It was also the first major league game she had ever seen. She is from Panama and it was her first time in the States. She was really excited about seeing Concepcion.

REDSEER
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
I was at Harang's 10-inning gem last year vs. the Brewers. Funny thing is that Capuano was just as good for a while

redsupport
02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
The first professional hit by Rafael Santo Domingo

Nasty_Boy
02-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Opening Day '05

Opening Day '02

In June 2004 the Reds were in first place and getting read to go on a West Coast road trip. Jr. was chasing 500 and the were playing the Expos on a Sunday afternoon. Jr had homered twice off of Livan Hernandez and things were going well before the bullpen blew it. But in the 9th Jason LaRue worked a 2 out walk and Jacob Cruz hit a game tying HR, before Sean Casey drove in D'Angelo Jiminez to win the game. Of course Jr went into a slump and the Reds lost 8-9 straight during the road trip.

goreds2
02-21-2008, 11:26 PM
In June 2004 the Reds were in first place and getting read to go on a West Coast road trip. Jr. was chasing 500 and the were playing the Expos on a Sunday afternoon. Jr had homered twice off of Livan Hernandez and things were going well before the bullpen blew it. But in the 9th Jason LaRue worked a 2 out walk and Jacob Cruz hit a game tying HR, before Sean Casey drove in D'Angelo Jiminez to win the game.

I was not at that game but I remember listening on the radio with another great Marty Call at the end. :)

BLEEDS
02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
the Best Reds game I ever attended was actually in Wrigley vs. the Cubs. 1992. Kevin Mitchell, who was shot up with cortisone most of that year hit two HomeRuns into the bleachers - in almost exactly the same spots. It was my first game at Wrigley and it was memorable.

The best game I attended in Cincy? Tough to say, I grew up watching them in the 70s, but didn't attend any playoff games. I lived in Cincy in the late 90's, so nothing memorable there. I'd have to say it was when I came back to Cincy to catch a game in September, and got to see KGJ round third and completely destroy his ankle/hammy/whatever, but I guess that doesn't count as "Best".

PEACE

-BLEEDS

LexingtonLegend
02-23-2008, 11:01 AM
I figured this was a good thread to post my first post on this board :).... my most lasting memory so far as a reds fan will be my first ever game, which was back in old Riverfront. I was at the game during which they announced the Reds had clinched a playoff spot for that year. They were playing the San Diego Padres, and the score was 1-0, the only run being scored was a Jack Clark homerun. We were locked in a rain delay so the game was kind of boring at the time. That announcement came over the jumbotron and loud speakers and the stadium may have actually lifted off the ground with electricity. Fans raided the toilet paper in the bathrooms and it was streaming onto the field in celebration. I think they tried to restart the game after the rain delay and after the clean up, but it was never finished to my knowledge. My first game was never a complete game, but it was definitely something I'll never forget.

A close second would be the come from behind victory against the yankees in GABP several years ago, and the game last year where Hamilton gunned a Cleveland Indian out at home to save the game, and we won in the bottom of that same inning. We went over to Italianfest after that and ate a piece of lasagna with Jeff Piecoro, life was good.:beerme:

OSUredsFAN
02-23-2008, 11:38 AM
One other one that I want to add is from 1994 i believe it was in August a little before the strike happened. I remember Kevin Mitchell made a nice sliding catch in LF in the top of an inning, then led off the bottom part of the inning with a HR to win the game. It was awesome!!!!

Va Red Fan
02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
1989 - regualr season game. Zane Smith v. Tom Browning. Went 9 innings tied at 1 and Sabo won it in the 10th. Total time, less than 2 1/2 hours. Fun baseball.

stifrontman
02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
August 1995, Reggie Sanders hit three homers.

KySteveH
02-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Wily Mo Bobblehead night
Please tell me you didn't just refer to a game by it's free giveaway. :rolleyes:

OD 2005 was the best for me, like a bunch have said already.

XU Lou
02-23-2008, 07:21 PM
1. Game 5 of 1972 Playoffs with Bench's tying homer and McRae scoring on a wild pitch
2. Game 2 of 1990 Series - Oliver's GW hit
3. Reds vs Mets when Ray Knight and Eric Davis fought at 3rd base. Bench clearing brawl. I was in first row of the blue on the 3rd base foul line. Couldn't have been better seats.

George Foster
02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Game 1, 1990 World Series.

When Eric Davis hit that homerun in the 1st inning, it was the loudest moment at any sporting event I've ever attended.

Being at that game, is the reason I've put up with a lot of bad baseball over the years. I want to experience that moment again before I die. I want to take my son so we can share a World Series game together.:)

redsupport
02-23-2008, 11:41 PM
reds vs. mets in 1964
marty keough got an extra base hit

goreds2
02-24-2008, 12:02 PM
1. Game 5 of 1972 Playoffs with Bench's tying homer and McRae scoring on a wild pitch
2. Game 2 of 1990 Series - Oliver's GW hit
3. Reds vs Mets when Ray Knight and Eric Davis fought at 3rd base. Bench clearing brawl. I was in first row of the blue on the 3rd base foul line. Couldn't have been better seats.

Not to get technical but it was George Foster who scored the game winning run in the 72 playoffs. McRae was in the background of the picture of Foster scoring. :)

http://books.google.com/books?id=1VwOLIVOWvwC&pg=PA575&lpg=PA575&dq=foster+winning+run+72+playoff&source=web&ots=qi__zhcplw&sig=GqjzjTNH54amOJYXQfTQSz05WQc#PPA575,M1

That had to have been cool seeing Ray Knight in the fight with Eric Davis. Of all the games I have attended, I have never seen a fight. :(

XU Lou
02-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Not to get technical but it was George Foster who scored the game winning run in the 72 playoffs. McRae was in the background of the picture of Foster scoring. :)

http://books.google.com/books?id=1VwOLIVOWvwC&pg=PA575&lpg=PA575&dq=foster+winning+run+72+playoff&source=web&ots=qi__zhcplw&sig=GqjzjTNH54amOJYXQfTQSz05WQc#PPA575,M1

That had to have been cool seeing Ray Knight in the fight with Eric Davis. Of all the games I have attended, I have never seen a fight. :(

You are right, my error. I believe McRae was batting when the wild pitch was thrown.

While I don't really want to see a fight when I go to the game, on or off the field, if I had to see one that was it.

oldredbird
02-25-2008, 08:50 PM
The last game ever at Crosley Field. Still have the print they gave out and the ticket stub.

redsupport
02-25-2008, 11:47 PM
who won?

oldredbird
02-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Reds beat the Giants

improbus
02-27-2008, 07:03 AM
2001: Reds vs. Indians (July, it was really hot)

The Reds won in 13 innings, scoring on Johnny Rocker, who was booed relentlessly coming into the game. It was fabulous.

The most surreal moment I encountered was when I went to a Giants-Reds game in '04 (or '03?). The Reds were starting a rookie making his ML Debut (Josh Hall?). Anyway, on his first AB, Bonds strolls up to the plate and the crowd goes silent. We all know what is coming. He promptly deposits the ball into the Visitors Bullpen down the right field line and then we are able to move on with the game. It was almost like Bonds stuff didn't fit into the game. We all knew that it was coming, and once it came, we were able to start playing baseball. Just surreal. I have never been to a game and KNOWN what was going to happen at anytime. I have hoped, prayed for, and expected, but never known what was going to happen.

standerson
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Last year versus San Diego.

Our sons first ball game. I've been to games at Crosley, Riverfront, GAP, Wrigley, etc.

Taking him was by far the best game ever.

redsupport
02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
gene locklear's debut etched an indelible memory