Carin4Narron
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I am telling you the bit with Goodyear was a ploy to stay in Sarasota

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080213/NEWS/802130430

gedred69
02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I am telling you the bit with Goodyear was a ploy to stay in Sarasota

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080213/NEWS/802130430

I suggested Goodyear was being used to entice Fla. to do something to keep the Reds there. Sarasota would be the most likely, but before the economic crunch hit, there were other Fla. towns that were wanting an MLB facility as well. If their property tax roll-back passes, surely Sarasota or whoever, will be able to come up with funding to keep the Reds in Fla.

Carin4Narron
02-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Something came to mind while re-reading the story. Why was Allen watching the Sarasota Council meeting on the internet if the Reds felt good about the deal with Goodyear?

durl
02-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Whether it's considered a ploy or not, it's just a good business move to have options available. I'm guessing the Reds would like to stay in Florida but something needed to change. If Sarasota didn't come through, a good facility in Arizona would be available. Either way, the Reds get the facilities they would like.

Cicero
02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
I hope that is the case. It is only a 5 hour drive for me to take in Reds spring training games and it is a great excuse to spend a few days on the gulf coast.

Carin4Narron
02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
It might be a good business move to have options available. But the way the Reds management handles things,in my opinion, is extremely classless.

gedred69
02-13-2008, 08:25 PM
It might be a good business move to have options available. But the way the Reds management handles things,in my opinion, is extremely classless.

Again, I tend to agree. sad thing is, the Reds had other Fla. cities wanting them a couple years ago that could be about ready by now, but the Reds thought the Sarasota thing was a done deal. I had some fat snob from Sarasota sitting next to me in an airport bar in Atl. back in September letting me know she would vote against it, because she would rather see the libraries maintain the current operating hours than see tax money go for a stadium. To which I said, yeah those libraries do so much for the local economy. We never said another word to each other.

Reds belong in Fla.

durl
02-14-2008, 09:52 AM

How have the Reds been classless in this matter? I'm not up on all the details.

Carin4Narron
02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Here is a very interesting quote from the Sarasota paper today,

Now, as the city's sports facilities manager, Pat Calhoon, has taken to saying: Sarasota is back in the baseball business. And not just for the Reds. Calhoon said he called The Baltimore Orioles on Wednesday to let the team know Sarasota can actually gain consensus on a stadium deal. Baltimore trains in Ft. Lauderdale, but the team is reportedly looking to move if a stadium deal does not come through.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080214/NEWS/802140678

The Orioles have a tentative agreement to move to Vero Beach after this year. But it's nice to know that Sarasota isn't taking the Reds crap laying down!

bounty37h
02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
What crap do you keep speaking of??? Do you have anything, or still peeved you got fired ;)?

Carin4Narron
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
What crap do you keep speaking of??? Do you have anything, or still peeved you got fired ;)?

Aren't you listening, the Reds chose to make this public. It's my opinion that the Reds are using Goodyear as a ploy to stay in Sarasota. I have provided facts which I stated my opinion on. Both the Dodgers and Indians are moving to Arizona next year, they queitly are making the transition. Both teams needed new stadiums. In my opinion, with a few fixes Ed Smith Stadium is perfectly fine for the Reds.

I have heard people from the Reds organization say; the point of spring training is to get your team ready for the season. I don’t see how a 10 thousand seat spring training stadium gets you prepared for the season.

bounty37h
02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I am listening, I just dont hear what your saying. How is it crap business to say since Sarasota said they werent paying to do what we need here, we are going somewhere that will? I dont want em to leave at all, but it seems llike smart business to me, you make it out like they are playing dirty backstabbing games, I dont hear that, so no, I dont see your facts of "crap" you claim.

Stingray
02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE I don’t see how a 10 thousand seat spring training stadium gets you prepared for the season.[/QUOTE]

None of the plans agreed to by the Reds and Sarasota involved large increases in seating capacity beyond the current capacity of Ed Smith stadium.

Bip Roberts
02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Is anyone else getting really really tired about hearing this flip flopping staying not staying stuff

durl
02-14-2008, 05:30 PM
It's just part of doing business. Now I can't say I know all the ins-and-outs of this negotiation but here's what I've read:

- Ed Smith Stadium isn't in great shape and the playing field doesn't drain well. Also, it does not comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act.
- Florida is taxing everything they can to it's limit already and people are tired of increases.
- The Reds want a better facility. Not necessarily a lot bigger, just better than what is currently available.
- The Reds wanted to stay so much they offered a THIRTY-year commitment, double what the state wanted.
- The situation was made public because the vote on the tax referendum was, obviously, public in nature. Also, any hunt for a new Spring Training home has to begin NOW and work quickly in order to be ready for next season. That kind of action draws attention.

All in all, I don't see how the Reds are doing anything sneaky or underhanded. The Reds pay almost $500,000 annually in stadium upkeep, and they're offering to pay 25% of the total cost of renovations. In this day and age when teams want to pay NOTHING out of pocket and get naming rights fees and even a share of sales from events unrelated to the team, I find the Reds' approach refreshing.

bounty37h
02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Durl, thanks for taking the time to make these points, I dont see anything dirty or crappy on the Reds part on this either

gedred69
02-14-2008, 09:38 PM
The Reds didn't do any thing wrong in this, unless you count them thinking this was a done deal. The renovations wanted to the stadium heavily involve the AWD Act. Originally, luxury booths were part of the plan, but the scaled down $41M plan scrapped much of that. (That was more local Fat Cat interest than the Reds). The main things the Reds wanted improved, were the [B]TRAINING[B] Facilities/Fields, (that didn't drain so well), and the Clubhouse and Training Rooms. Anybody been there? The clubhouse is small and antiquated, acceptable maybe for a Div IV NCAA team maybe. The Reds want good Training Facilities, wisely so. Not only do they get the MLB team ready there, but they work incessantly with the up and comers teaching, and honing for the Day those guys are ready. Disastrous to have a potential future star blow out a Knee on a sloppy field while trying to show he's got the right stuff to the big brass who are watching every move..

OesterPoster
02-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Wow, I can't believe anyone actually thinks the Reds are at fault here. That's funny stuff.

Caveman Techie
02-15-2008, 10:15 AM
I don't see how the Reds have been the classless one's here. They stated a need, the city has not to this point fullfilled that need, so the Reds are pursuing other options. If they are using Goodyear as a ploy to get what they want out of Sarasota, then that is what is called smart.

In business I often times will get a quote from multiple vendors and then play them against each other to see if I can get an even better deal.

Carin4Narron
02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Ok, one more try. The Reds lease is over with Sarasota this year. But they have a 3 year, a year by year option to stay in Sarasota. When the vote was voted down in November, the Reds could have used their yearly options to stay in Sarasota and worked on a deal to stay in the city long term. If the Reds and Sarasota couldn't agree on a deal in 2 years with 1 option year left, then the Reds could look for other cities to train in. What was the Reds hurry to do it now with having 3 option years left in Sarasota? They could had worked with the city during years.

Caveman Techie
02-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Ok, one more try. The Reds lease is over with Sarasota this year. But they have a 3 year, a year by year option to stay in Sarasota. When the vote was voted down in November, the Reds could have used their yearly options to stay in Sarasota and worked on a deal to stay in the city long term. If the Reds and Sarasota couldn't agree on a deal in 2 years with 1 option year left, then the Reds could look for other cities to train in. What was the Reds hurry to do it now with having 3 option years left in Sarasota? They could had worked with the city during years.

The operative word is "option". Just because they have an option doesn't mean they have to excercise it. The Reds started working on finding a new ST home as soon as the old one said "we're not going to meet your demands", thats called planning ahead. They are not putting off things and just hoping they work out.

I think your reading in to this thing a little too much.

Carin4Narron
02-20-2008, 02:51 PM
On Sarasota/Arizona situation: “We’re pleased that Sarasota is making the effort to keep us.”

I am sure they are! But then why be pleased when you think the deal with Goodyear is so good?

Bip Roberts
02-20-2008, 03:02 PM
What else is he going to say? "nah we hate those idiots that jerked us around so hard"

durl
02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
On Sarasota/Arizona situation: “We’re pleased that Sarasota is making the effort to keep us.”

I am sure they are! But then why be pleased when you think the deal with Goodyear is so good?

The Reds have stated explicitly that they want to stay in Sarasota. They're happy because they may get their wish.

The Arizona option is very good for the Reds in regards to facilities; the Sarasota option is good because of history and proximity to Cincinnati. The Reds have not hidden their preference...it's always been to stay in Sarasota.