PDA

View Full Version : Cops Dump Quadraplegic From Wheelchair

Dom Heffner
02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Believe it or not, the man who was thrown out of his wheelchair in this story was my Critical Thinking teacher at the University of South Florida.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23143979/

HeatherC1212
02-13-2008, 11:27 PM
I saw this gentleman on the Today Show this morning and I cannot believe he was treated so badly by that policewoman. I hope that cop is reprimanded for what she did because unless a person has done something horrible personally to someone, I don't think anyone deserves to be treated that poorly especially when it appears that they're doing everything in their power to be compliant. :(

klw
02-14-2008, 07:38 PM
She should be fired and charged with assault. Absolutely no excuse or defense for this.

GAC
02-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Sterner, 32, said when he was taken into a booking room and told to stand up, Jones grew agitated when he told her that he could not.

"She was irked that I wasn't complying to what she was telling me to do," he told The Tampa Tribune in Tuesday's edition. "It didn't register with her that she was asking me to do something I can't do."

Watching that video just irks the crap out of me.

It didn't register with her that a person in a wheelchair couldn't stand up? She wheeled him in there - why didn't she have him walk in then if she didn't believe him? So she dumps the guy out of it? What was she thinking? Oh, that's right - she wasn't.

I want to say "treat her with the same callousness she showed this individual." She needs to lose her job.

Spring~Fields
02-15-2008, 01:53 AM
That's unbelievable.

There has to be a termination, criminal charges and a civil suit brought against that individual for dumping the paralyzed man, we (society) can't let that one go.

Dom Heffner
02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
You know- and I'm not afraid to admit this- this made me cry watching it. Not only is Brian a terrific guy, but when you know that he was paralyzed when he was just 18 or 19, in a wrestling accident at a party, and that he still talks with the guy who accidentally did this to him, you get a whole new respect for the guy.

I spent 4 years at USF, and Brian was one of the few teachers I had that did not have his PhD, and he had a bigger impact on me than anybody else.

Part of that was his physical condition, no doubt, but his mind was great, too. And to see some idiot police officer throw him on the ground like that- I mean, that's a special kind of mean.

And then to hear the deputy's friends complain in the media that she's getting threatening phone calls- What a coward.

CrackerJack
02-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I surely hope she gets canned or jail time for assault.

I thought the Skateboard supercop video was bad enough, but this takes the cake.

Ltlabner
02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Yikes.

Normally I'd say let's see the rest of the video and give the cops the benefit of the doubt (unlike many, I respect the cops and what they do).

However, I'm very hard pressed to come up with any scenario whereby any other unseen video would make this make sense, or justify it. At the very least she should be canned, and further action should be taken. Very sad to see people acting this unprofessionally and tarnishing the reps of the hard working men and women who serve honorably.

RedsFan75
02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
My brother-in-law is a cop, one of my good friends is a cop, and I very well understand what they go through at times.....

BUT....

he's in the booking room!!!!!!!!!!!!! That action is in-excusable!