PDA

View Full Version : Report: J. Kidd Traded to Mavericks

WMR
02-13-2008, 03:06 PM
WFAN reports that Jason Kidd has been traded to the Dallas Mavericks.

The proposed deal has Dallas sending point guard Devin Harris, swingman Jerry Stackhouse, center DeSegana Diop, Devean George and another player (Mo Ager?) to New Jersey for Kidd and guard Darrell Armstrong. We're still awaiting confirmation, but it sounds like Kidd's run in New Jersey is over. If Harris is going to the Nets, Marcus Williams will continue to be nothing more than a backup.

Highlifeman21
02-13-2008, 03:14 PM
First the Lakers.

Then the Suns.

Now the Mavs.

The Eastern Conference will have to pin their title hopes on Detroit or Boston.

WMR
02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure how much I like this trade from the Mavs perspective.

NJReds
02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Not much of a return for Kidd. I'd be surprised if they didn't get a couple of #1 picks as well.

Unassisted
02-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Without looking at the numbers, based on my perception of who contributes on the Mavs roster, my take is that the Mavs are giving up a lot more than they're getting back. If I was a Mavs fan, I wouldn't like this trade.

WMR
02-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Not much of a return for Kidd. I'd be surprised if they didn't get a couple of #1 picks as well.

You don't think so?

Harris, Stack, and Diop are all quality players.

NJReds
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
You don't think so?

Harris is good. I assume the rest are for matching salary and I assume that most if not all are expiring contracts.

NJReds
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
The Mavs still won't win the west without one more post player. Only, I don't know of any that are available.

Buckeye33
02-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Man, the 1st round of the western conference playoffs is going to be a lot of fun to watch. I usually don't worry about the playoffs until the conference semis, but every series in the west 1st round this year is going to be really nice.

If they started right now they would be:

1. Phoenix vs 8. Golden St. - Could have 120-115 games..

2. New Orleans vs 7. Denver - New team on the block vs Melo and AI

3. Dallas vs San Antonio - Best 1st round series

4. Utah vs 5. LA Lakers - The most "boring" team vs overhauled Lakers

WVRed
02-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Stack is going to be cut.

I guess New Jersey gets a little bit younger...

Roy Tucker
02-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I think the Mavs gave up a lot and I'm not sure why. I don't think Kidd is what that team needs.

Cleveland, on the other hand, could have *really* used Kidd. LeBron is just getting wasted surrounded by very average players.

WMR
02-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I think the Mavs gave up a lot and I'm not sure why. I don't think Kidd is what that team needs.

Cleveland, on the other hand, could have *really* used Kidd. LeBron is just getting wasted surrounded by very average players.

Great post. I wish the Cavs would go get Bibby.

MaineRed
02-13-2008, 03:35 PM
There is speculation that NJ will buy out Stackhouse and he will return to Dallas.

Buckeye33
02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
You don't think so?

Harris is the key, he is a young PG who can really defend. He will fit well in the eastern conference.

Stackhouse is simply in the trade to help with salary. He is 33 and his point production has fallen every year for 4 years. His contract is expiring this year.

Diop is nothing more than a big body who can block shots and rebound some. He is just a younger version of Collins, who the Nets traded earlier this month. His contract is also expiring.

Devean George is not good either and his contract is expiring as well.

Unless more details come out with NJ getting a 1st round pick, I think they could have done better. Getting Harris and 3 expiring contracts isn't the worst thing in the world.

Screwball
02-13-2008, 03:36 PM

I know what you mean, and I agree with you and WilyMo they could use a solid PG, but I think "wasted" is too strong a word. I mean, they did just go to the NBA Finals last year, and took the defending champion Pistons to 7 games in the Conference semis the year before that.

NJReds
02-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Here's the deal -- makes more sense now.

Kidd traded to Dallas in latest blockbuster deal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlhCgMcodDAjaelqcrwzOvC8vLYF?slug=aw-kiddtraded021308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
February 13, 2008

Less than 48 hours ago, Jason Kidd was privately telling people he feared he wouldn't get out of New Jersey before the trade deadline next week. Yet just when he was losing hope, the Nets agreed in principle to deliver the All-Star point guard to the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday afternoon, a source close to the negotiations told Yahoo! Sports.

Kidd and Malik Allen will go to Dallas for 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, DeSagana Diop, Devean George, Maurice Ager, $3 million and two future No. 1 draft picks. In a side deal, the Nets sent guard Antoine Wright to Dallas for a future second-round pick.

WMR
02-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I know what you mean, and I agree with you and WilyMo they could use a solid PG, but I think "wasted" is too strong a word. I mean, they did just go to the NBA Finals last year, and took the defending champion Pistons to 7 games in the Conference semis the year before that.

But they are stagnant...

they need a PG so bad if they're going to have any shot this year.

Forcing LeBron to be the primary ball-handler wastes his immense talents...

also: The Cavs MUST keep LeBron happy and show a commitment to surrounding him with talent.

WMR
02-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I like the deal a lot better after hearing the exact particulars.

Roy Tucker
02-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I think that any success that Cavs have had is a testament to how great LeBron is and how weak the NBA East is. His supporting cast is very average at best.

WVRed
02-13-2008, 03:50 PM
This is the difference between the NBA and NFL Drafts.

In the NBA, nothing is really a given past the lottery. Second round you are not even guaranteed a contract. The Nets are getting two second round picks that will likely be at the later part of the first round.

WMR
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
The report says they're first round picks, WV.

texasdave
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Man, the 1st round of the western conference playoffs is going to be a lot of fun to watch. I usually don't worry about the playoffs until the conference semis, but every series in the west 1st round this year is going to be really nice.

If they started right now they would be:

1. Phoenix vs 8. Golden St. - Could have 120-115 games..

2. New Orleans vs 7. Denver - New team on the block vs Melo and AI

3. Dallas vs San Antonio - Best 1st round series

4. Utah vs 5. LA Lakers - The most "boring" team vs overhauled Lakers

The Rockets make the playoffs with, IMO, the Nuggets dropping out.

Screwball
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
But they are stagnant...

they need a PG so bad if they're going to have any shot this year.

Which is why I said I agreed with you...

Forcing LeBron to be the primary ball-handler wastes his immense talents...

also: The Cavs MUST keep LeBron happy and show a commitment to surrounding him with talent.

Again, I feel "waste" is just the wrong word. It may not be ideal to not have that game-changing PG, but using arguably the best player in the NBA to handle the ball primarily isn't completely wasting his talents IMO, especially when that player's team goes deep into the playoffs and even the NBA Finals.

I would say wasting a player's talents would be like having a Top 5 Quarterback and never really coming close to winning a playoff game in three years. :thumbdown

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I think that any success that Cavs have had is a testament to how great LeBron is and how weak the NBA East is. His supporting cast is very average at best.

I can see that, and really don't disagree too much. But I don't think you're giving guys like Larry Hughes and Zydrunas Ilgauskus (sp?) enough credit. I feel as though they're both above average, albeit not by a great margin.

KoryMac5
02-13-2008, 06:55 PM
It's a good deal for the Mavs over the short term, as they basically gave up a talented young player for a superstar that is getting older. Kidd will change the attitude of the Mavs immediately and make players like Howard and Dirk that much better. Players like Kidd don't grow on trees, if you have the opportunity to grab one to win now you have to do it, especially in the west.

WMR
02-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Holy crap, ESPN is reporting that Devean bleepin' George has blocked the J. Kidd deal by exercising his no-trade clause!!!!!!

NorrisHopper30
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Devean George, what a piece.

WMR
02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
How in the hell did Devean George get a contract with a no-trade clause?!?!?!?!

NorrisHopper30
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM

I think it's because he's been in the league for 10 years.

Razor Shines
02-13-2008, 11:12 PM

I bet he's very popular in the locker room now.

NorrisHopper30
02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I bet he's very popular in the locker room now.

And in Dallas, he'll get booed whenever he gets on the floor.

Razor Shines
02-13-2008, 11:16 PM
And in Dallas, he'll get booed whenever he gets on the floor.

Yeah. No matter how much it would have sucked in NJ, it's going to be much worse in Dallas. I don't blame him for not wanting to go to NJ, but this was a really bad idea on his part. I wonder if his agent was for or against him exercising his no-trade clause.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-13-2008, 11:21 PM

He doesn't. It's a rare Bird Rule exception. Whenever a team gives a player consecutive 1 year deals he's granted the right of refusal in a trade by the league.

So technically they didn't knowingly include a no trade clause, but they did.

Also, he went 0-11 and 0-2 from FT in the game tonight. He's easily the least popular man in Dallas tonight.

KronoRed
02-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Why even include him in the deal? his numbers don't strike me as someone you let scuttle a big time deal

HumnHilghtFreel
02-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Why even include him in the deal? his numbers don't strike me as someone you let scuttle a big time deal

Expiring contract.

MaineRed
02-13-2008, 11:48 PM
It is the money Krono. If they don't trade him it has to be someone else with a comparable salary. There is nobody else on their roster within a million of what George makes while also having an expiring contract.

They can probably still get this done but it will take some creativity. They can't just take George out and anyone else they want to include, the Nets aren't going to want. For instance, they don't want Eddie Jones for two million dollars, NEXT year. They want expiring deals or young guys.

WMR
02-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Wonder if they could add in more cash to the 3 million.

Buckeye33
02-13-2008, 11:58 PM

I heard on ESPN that 3 million is the most you are permitted to include in a trade in the NBA.

Revering4Blue
02-14-2008, 01:41 AM

Actually, should George continue to oppose the trade, it looks like the Mavs are going to have to include---you're going to love this--Keith Van Horn in the deal to make the #s work. It seems as though KVH never officially filed retirement papers with the NBA, not that we should expect KVH to suit up for the Nets, according to ESPN's Ric Bucher.

The irony of this entire mess is that George, while not demanding a trade, requested one if he didn't receive more playing time, and if the Mavs had even the slightest interest in re-signing him, there's a better chance of Oliver Miller and Shawn Kemp declining a free smorgasbord than DG in a Mavs uniform next year. Plus, he'll get more minutes in New Jersey, essential if you are in the last year of a contract,and the Nets will still make the Playoffs--they are in the East, you know.

TeamSelig
02-14-2008, 12:08 PM
lol kind of funny though

I look for the trade to still go through.

There are also some rumors resurfacing from a few weeks ago of a JO for Carter. From what I've read, if JO can return from his knee injury then the trade has a 70% chance of going through.

But I'm not sure who would play SG for them then?

Harris
M. Williams? Nachbar?
Jefferson
JO
Diop/Williams

Still a decent team IMO.

Screwball
02-14-2008, 01:58 PM
The irony of this entire mess is that George, while not demanding a trade, requested one if he didn't receive more playing time, and if the Mavs had even the slightest interest in re-signing him, there's a better chance of Oliver Miller and Shawn Kemp declining a free smorgasbord than DG in a Mavs uniform next year. Plus, he'll get more minutes in New Jersey, essential if you are in the last year of a contract,and the Nets will still make the Playoffs--they are in the East, you know.

Wow. Just wow.

So did he veto the trade just to stick it to the Mavs, or what?

Revering4Blue
02-14-2008, 02:28 PM
So did he veto the trade just to stick it to the Mavs, or what?

No, he vetoed the trade due to "Larry Bird Rule." In other words, the Mavs can resign him at any price, even if they exceed the salary cap. But they certainly won't resign him now.

TeamSelig
02-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Nets are now talking to Memphis about a Mike Miller for Magloire + Nachbar trade.

Harris
Miller
Jefferson
JO
Williams/Krstic

That makes a little more sense.

GoReds33
02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I see Kidd going to Cleveland now. Without Harris being in the deal, I don't see how it gets done.

Buckeye33
02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
I see Kidd going to Cleveland now. Without Harris being in the deal, I don't see how it gets done.

Cleveland does not have enough expiring contracts or anyone close to Devin Harris level to offer the Nets. Daniel Gibson would be nice, but his overall game doesn't come close to Harris.

The Nets want to clear all of and more salary off next seasons cap so they can make plays for multiple players on the free agent market.

The deal with Dallas will get done I think. If George continues to be a nag in the deal, I think Cuban relents and allows Van Horn to be resigned and sent to NJ. It would add even more to the Mavericks luxury tax but why would Cuban care at this point?

Chip R
02-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Looks like there are some shenanigans going on with this deal. It seems that Stackhouse would go back to Dallas in a month.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-stackhousesnag021508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

GoReds33
02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Cleveland does not have enough expiring contracts or anyone close to Devin Harris level to offer the Nets. Daniel Gibson would be nice, but his overall game doesn't come close to Harris.

The Nets want to clear all of and more salary off next seasons cap so they can make plays for multiple players on the free agent market.

The deal with Dallas will get done I think. If George continues to be a nag in the deal, I think Cuban relents and allows Van Horn to be resigned and sent to NJ. It would add even more to the Mavericks luxury tax but why would Cuban care at this point?Sorry. I'm not that big of an NBA fan. I just based it on the thinking that Kidd is the type of player that can get them deep into the playoffs.

I agree with you on Gibson. I expected him to have a good year this year. He really hasn't lived up to the expectations.

By the way, does anybody know of any players that will be free agents that the Nets might want?