PDA

View Full Version : 4th and 5th Starters

Degenerate39
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Assuming that the Rotation is going to look like this:

1- Harang
2- Arroyo
3- Belisle

Who do you want to see as the 4th and 5th starters for the 2008 season?

For me I want to see Homer Bailey in the 4th spot and Johnny Cueto in the 5th spot.

Bip Roberts
02-14-2008, 12:32 PM
If I had my way Id have Bailey and Volquez. Of course im not locked in my opinion though

AmarilloRed
02-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Volquez as 4th, Bailey as 5th.

CRedsLarkin11
02-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I want it to be Volquez and Bailey with Affeldt in the bullpen. It will probably end up being Affeldt and Bailey.

bounty37h
02-14-2008, 01:25 PM
easy, whoever performs the best.

BLEEDS
02-14-2008, 02:05 PM
NO way we can live with Homer and Cueto in the rotation. They shouldn't be allowed to pitch over 160 innings max, so you need other pitchers, not to mention the fact that they are more likely to leave games early.

This is all assuming Dusty Baker doesn't handle young pitchers like he used to, then you might get what you want - with a side helping of blowed up elbows...

Volquez is the only guy capable of anything approaching 180+ innings. I put him 4th.

Bailey I'd give the #5 spot, but I'd shut him down after 160 innings. They maybe bring up another guy.

Although I imagine, as-is, we are going to give the #5 to Affeldt, and keep Bailey and Cueto in the minors to start the year.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

mlbfan30
02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
The question is I want to see, so it's Bailey/Cueto.

I probably would have Volquez as 5th to field a better team and to allow Cueto to start his arb clock a little later.

For anyone the says Affeldt, state your case. There is no logical reason why Affeldt should be starting. None. He is a horrible starter. Maloney would be better, easily.

I'd also like to point out that with Volquez in the rotation, he should be 3rd and Belisle 4th and Bailey 5th. Bailey and Volquez have similar stuff and Belisle splits that up. It realistically has no statistical relevance, but its something to think about.

Bip Roberts
02-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Affeldt hasnt started really started since 03 and when he did he apparently was hindered by blisters which he had some surgery to correct.

jmac
02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Volquez 4th and Bailey 5th.
I am a big fan of Cueto but I figure they will start him in louisville regardless.

CRedsLarkin11
02-14-2008, 06:44 PM
The reason a few of us said we are probably going to see Affeldt in the rotation is because they said that is where they wanted him to be and that is the main reason he signed. It is not because we think he is worthy of it or if he will even be a decent starter. His track record doesn't support it and he's actually been productive coming out of the bullpen. He will definitely get the opportunity this spring and knowing the Reds, will probably be in the rotation to start the season.

SMcGavin
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
With the current roster I'd go Volquez-Cueto (even though ideally I'd give Cueto some time in AAA). What do I think will happen? Volquez-Affeldt. Both of those guys were acquired for a reason, and that reason is to be in the rotation.

Degenerate39
02-14-2008, 08:17 PM
The question is I want to see, so it's Bailey/Cueto.

I probably would have Volquez as 5th to field a better team and to allow Cueto to start his arb clock a little later.

For anyone the says Affeldt, state your case. There is no logical reason why Affeldt should be starting. None. He is a horrible starter. Maloney would be better, easily.

I'd also like to point out that with Volquez in the rotation, he should be 3rd and Belisle 4th and Bailey 5th. Bailey and Volquez have similar stuff and Belisle splits that up. It realistically has no statistical relevance, but its something to think about.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I really want to see Bailey and Cueto in the majors but it most likely won't happen. We'll probably see Bailey and Volquez. I personally don't want to see Affeldt in the rotation. If Wayne can't find anyone better then just let the young guys take their lumps in the majors and get some experience against the major league bats.

AmarilloRed
02-15-2008, 12:38 AM
With the current roster I'd go Volquez-Cueto (even though ideally I'd give Cueto some time in AAA). What do I think will happen? Volquez-Affeldt. Both of those guys were acquired for a reason, and that reason is to be in the rotation.

Affeldt was promised a chance to start. He was signed because the Reds are giving him that chance. He only has 2 pitches, and unless he successfully develops a third, he will be in the bullpen.