PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips, Now Really "The Franchise", Signs Long-Term deal

reds44
02-14-2008, 11:34 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Terms of the deal haven't been disclosed yet.

fearofpopvol1
02-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Good...I think it's important to the team. I think Brandon is in a prime position to become the young leader of the young lads.

RedsManRick
02-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm guessing 4 & 30. I sure hope he learns to take a walk and to hit righties...

Caseyfan21
02-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Good news...hopefully it is a favorable deal for both sides. Seemed like Brandon has enjoyed his time in Cincinnati and wanted to stay. I hope he can keep improving in all facets of his game and bring home a Gold Glove this year too.

Also nice to get this out of the way so they don't have to go through the hearing and have his contract hanging over him all year.

MartyFan
02-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Well, it is good to have the leader of the team under contract for a few years.

Reds1
02-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Love it. The Reds have had a kick butt off season.

WMR
02-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Where's the LTC for Dunn.

Topcat
02-15-2008, 12:13 AM
All I know is Krivsky seems top be able to keep players here. That plus find nuggets on the cheap, the only aspect I really can see where he is lacking is ability to take assets in minors that are valued elsewhere and spin them for desired needs of the Reds.

Please note this does not involve Cueto,Bailey,Bruce.

Buckeye33
02-15-2008, 12:15 AM

Give it time. Getting a deal done with Phillips is much easier than getting a new deal done with a slugger who already makes an 8 digit salary.

I could live with a 4 year contract in the 6.5-7.5 million per range.

dougdirt
02-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Love it. The Reds have had a kick butt off season.

Hopefully waiting to see how his knee is for at least some playing time.

MrCinatit
02-15-2008, 02:29 AM
Great to see one of the key middle positions shored up for a few more years.

Edskin
02-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Slowly, but surely, this ownership/GM group is starting to do the right things. Maybe there is hope after all :)

membengal
02-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Good.

Cyclone792
02-15-2008, 06:36 AM

I think it's coming ... at least I'm hoping.

What seems very obvious is Krivsky is trying to give the Reds a 2-4 year window from now through 2011 to make some noise and do some damage. They can control Harang/Arroyo through 2011, and they do control Cordero through 2011. I also think Encarnacion is under arbit control through 2011 too. I'm sure Phillips contract is - at minimum - three years with an option for a fourth year, which would allow the Reds to control him through 2011 too (Phillips' contract may even be longer).

All the young prospects ... Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, and Votto are also under control through at least 2011, some (all?) even longer.

This tells us where the base is and how long it's locked up. The window basically starts now and possibly closes in 2011, with the two money years being 2009 and 2010.

Of course, it still all eventually rolls back to Dunn like you say. They're going to need his bat to make that window reality so they're going to have to figure something out to lock up him through at least 2011. Hopefully negotiations are already underway and the Reds are conveying to Dunn that the next three to four years look pretty good. If so, then I think the chances of a LTC with the Big Donkey are pretty good ...

At least I'm hoping.

OnBaseMachine
02-15-2008, 06:41 AM
I think with Dunn Krivsky is waiting to see if his knee is fully healthy before giving him a LTC. I see no problem with that. I made this prediction yesterday on here - By the end of March the Reds will announce they have signed Dunn long-term.

LoganBuck
02-15-2008, 07:27 AM
My guess is 3 years at 21 million plus 11 million club option for fourth year.

rotnoid
02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
My guess is 3 years at 21 million plus 11 million club option for fourth year.

I could live with that. In 3 years, 11 million might look like an absolute steal.

edabbs44
02-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Very nice move. Financials will be interesting.

redsmetz
02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I think with Dunn Krivsky is waiting to see if his knee is fully healthy before giving him a LTC. I see no problem with that. I made this prediction yesterday on here - By the end of March the Reds will announce they have signed Dunn long-term.

That may well be, but the truth also is that Phillips and Belisle were the more pressing matters. Once we picked up Dunn's option, we bought some time to hammer out a long term deal. Such a deal can always be subject to a physical. I think the Reds were just taking things in the order they were happening. I agree though that it won't surprise me if we have a deal with AD prior to the start of the season.

bucksfan2
02-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Love this. I like how Krivsky has locked up rising players to long term deals before they were to hit arbitratoin. In the past it was status quo to sign your better players to long term deals after they hit their peak.

lollipopcurve
02-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Good move. I like Phillips as a core player.

Chip R
02-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I haven't seen this reported anywhere else. Is this another one of Hal's "scoops"?

dfs
02-15-2008, 09:15 AM
I hope you all are right.
I'm not sold on Phillips the person or Phillips the ballplayer.

When you look at raw OPS+ Felipe Lopez (and even D'Angelo) were almost exactly what Phillips is. Now, Phillips plays better D and folks do seem to like him better than either of those two, but middle infielders who get rewarded with large contracts are much more likely to fall off the earth than they are to turn into Larkin or Morgan.

Again, I hope you all are right.

*BaseClogger*
02-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm not going to judge this deal until I see the terms...

TOBTTReds
02-15-2008, 09:19 AM

Wow, tough crowd. I see him as the most genuine, fun guy on the team. I think most of Cincy does too. He's essentially the face of the team because of his smile.

WMR
02-15-2008, 09:22 AM
I think it's coming ... at least I'm hoping.

What seems very obvious is Krivsky is trying to give the Reds a 2-4 year window from now through 2011 to make some noise and do some damage. They can control Harang/Arroyo through 2011, and they do control Cordero through 2011. I also think Encarnacion is under arbit control through 2011 too. I'm sure Phillips contract is - at minimum - three years with an option for a fourth year, which would allow the Reds to control him through 2011 too (Phillips' contract may even be longer).

All the young prospects ... Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, and Votto are also under control through at least 2011, some (all?) even longer.

This tells us where the base is and how long it's locked up. The window basically starts now and possibly closes in 2011, with the two money years being 2009 and 2010.

Of course, it still all eventually rolls back to Dunn like you say. They're going to need his bat to make that window reality so they're going to have to figure something out to lock up him through at least 2011. Hopefully negotiations are already underway and the Reds are conveying to Dunn that the next three to four years look pretty good. If so, then I think the chances of a LTC with the Big Donkey are pretty good ...

At least I'm hoping.

I'm right there with ya, buddy.

Everything you lay out here seems very logical to me... not to mention that, hopefully, 4 years from now, the Reds will be on a much higher 'revenue stream path' to justify cherrypicking the remaining talent to possibly keep around even if they have become costly.

But for this whole plan to work, I see Dunn as an absolute necessity.

Cyclone792
02-15-2008, 09:23 AM
I haven't seen this reported anywhere else. Is this another one of Hal's "scoops"?

Fay's on a plane right now heading to Sarasota and likely won't have any updates until this afternoon. I wouldn't know why some of the other writers/media personnel haven't chimed in with anything though.

Joseph
02-15-2008, 09:39 AM
If true, thats wonderful news. Cost certainty always is big for star caliber players.

GAC
02-15-2008, 09:58 AM

I think that will come at some point this season. Jr's money comes off the books after '08, with a 4 mil buyout.

Cedric
02-15-2008, 10:12 AM

When you look at raw OPS+ Felipe Lopez (and even D'Angelo) were almost exactly what Phillips is. Now, Phillips plays better D and folks do seem to like him better than either of those two, but middle infielders who get rewarded with large contracts are much more likely to fall off the earth than they are to turn into Larkin or Morgan.

Again, I hope you all are right.

D'Angelo/Lopez couldn't cover 1/4th the ground of Phillips and both had some of the worst attitudes possibly in baseball. I'll take my chances on a young man that wants to be here and has by all accounts a great work ethic.

RedsManRick
02-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Question for everybody: If Phillips hits .280/.330/.450, trading 80 of those HR for 2B, do you still consider him a star?

I like the guy and considering his defense and thrilled to have him, I just don't like this trend of signing guys to long term deals right after a career best year. I think we saw the upper end of what Phillips can do and while I think he merits a deal, I'm wary of expectations.

Cedric
02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Question for everybody: If Phillips hits .280/.330/.450, trading 80 of those HR for 2B, do you still consider him a star?

I like the guy and considering his defense and thrilled to have him, I just don't like this trend of signing guys to long term deals right after a career best year. I think we saw the upper end of what Phillips can do and while I think he merits a deal, I'm wary of expectations.

Really not much of a risk with the length given. He's not going to go anywhere soon and he actually has had two years with similar numbers.

Johnny Footstool
02-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Phillips is at the point where he could start developing old-player skills and learning to lay off low-and-away sliders. I don't think he's reached his ceiling yet. Jimmy Rollins is probably a good comparison for him.

I'm also a huge fan of signing players through their arb years.

WMR
02-15-2008, 10:23 AM

David Ross says :wave:

And "Thanks" to Krivsky.

vaticanplum
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Good news.

And the elephant that is Adam Dunn hovers more massively by the second.

pahster
02-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Really not much of a risk with the length given. He's not going to go anywhere soon and he actually has had two years with similar numbers.

You're not talking about 2006 and 2007 are you?

AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS/OPS+
2006 - .276/.324/.427/.751/88
2007 - .288/.331/.485/.816/105

He took a rather significant jump in 2007 driven mostly by a bump in power. Here's to hoping he can keep it up.

PuffyPig
02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
David Ross says :wave:

And "Thanks" to Krivsky.

Hard to compare the contracts. Ross gets 2 years of about $5M total or so (don't remember). He would have gotten that in arbitration anyway.

RedsManRick
02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Phillips is at the point where he could start developing old-player skills and learning to lay off low-and-away sliders. I don't think he's reached his ceiling yet. Jimmy Rollins is probably a good comparison for him.

I agree, he is at the point where he could start developing his skills. The whole idea of arbitration is that we don't have to bet $30M+ on whether or not he does. Maybe I'm overly risk averse, but I want to see signs that those skills are ready to develop before I pay them.

The risk of not signing him is that he does continue to improve, and that and costs you more money over the long haul than locking him up early would have.

The risk of signing him is that he doesn't develop further, or he regresses, and you're on the hook for a level of production you never get.

Teams rarely get themselves in trouble for paying fair value for production. They get in trouble for paying too much for poor production. For a guy with one above average season and a few real holes in his game (big platoon split, low OBP), I'm quite hesitant to project out the next 3, 4, or more years and commit financially to his ongoing improvement, when he can control him without the fiscal guarantee. We really give up a lot of flexibility for the sake of cost certainty and a shot at a bargain.

However, it really comes down to the dollars. If you get a fairly substantial discount and the years aren't too many, then I think it's still a good risk to take. I'm hoping for something like:

'08: $4.5M
'09: $6.5M
'10: $9.0M
'11: $11.0M - Team Option

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

RedsManRick
02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Just thinking that Robbie Cano might not be a bad contract comp. He just signed a 4 year deal this offseason, as a super-two guy.

08:$3M
09:$6M
10:$9M
11:$10M
12:$14M club option ($2M buyout)
13:$15M club option ($2M buyout)

Phillips is at 3 full years of service time, but I'm pretty sure that super-two guys and 3rd year guys are treated exactly the same in terms of comps. Robbie Cano is 25, where as Phillips is 27. With the buyout in 2012 included, Cano got 4/30. I think a Phillips contract would be quite similar.

Chip R
02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
The Enquirer finally has it.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080215/SPT04/302150042/

flyer85
02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
The Enquirer finally has it.

... and the best photo they have is a swing and a miss from Phillips. Who is in charge of this kind of stuff. Do they have the Lifestyle editor picking out the photos or is that the only one they have?

15fan
02-15-2008, 01:15 PM

I used to be in that camp.

Now that I've been in charge of supervising people for a while, though, I'm switching around to the other side of the argument.

Incentives come in many different sizes and shapes. Take away the incentives to perform, and you often see things like content, happy with the status quo, good enough, and a little too comfortable creeping into the equation.

Once the carrots are gone from the end of the stick, the only other options the jockey has are to yell more and/or use the whip more.

WMR
02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
... and the best photo they have is a swing and a miss from Phillips. Who is in charge of this kind of stuff. Do they have the Lifestyle editor picking out the photos or is that the only one they have?

Good catch. Moronic.

M2
02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I used to be in that camp.

Now that I've been in charge of supervising people for a while, though, I'm switching around to the other side of the argument.

Incentives come in many different sizes and shapes. Take away the incentives to perform, and you often see things like content, happy with the status quo, good enough, and a little too comfortable creeping into the equation.

Once the carrots are gone from the end of the stick, the only other options the jockey has are to yell more and/or use the whip more.

Fair points, but a smaller market team, in order to keep key players in their prime, has to be able to identify which players deserve carrots and which ones need sticks.

For instance, no one should ever give Kyle Lohse a long-term deal. His pulse wouldn't even register if he isn't pitching for next year's contract.

Yet Phillips, Harang, Arroyo and Dunn all strike me as highly-motivated players. They push themselves. I don't worry about any of those guys losing their edge because they've no longer got the next contract to motivate them. Though, in baseball, even with a LTC there's usually another contract over the horizon (even for Jr.). Keep playing well and you can go from being set for life to having your great grandchildren set for life.

Phillips in particular strikes me as a guy who wants the responsibility of team leadership and who'll treat a LTC like a gauntlet rather than a reward.

RedLegSuperStar
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Wheres those opposed to this deal at?

I love how everyone loves this deal.. because when it was brought up before their were those who were miffed at the idea of signing Phillips long term as he still had arbitration years left.

Frankly it was nuts not to lock this kid up. He is the happiest player the Reds have and he plays with every emotion. By the numbers he is going to be an All-Star if he continues doing the things he is doing and he is going to win Gold Gloves. He is truly a joy to watch and he is at all the Reds functions whether it be RedsFest or the Caravan or whatever. He is a great player on and off the field and I'm proud of the organization locking him up long term.

Highlifeman21
02-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm guessing 4 & 30. I sure hope he learns to take a walk and to hit righties...

I wouldn't hold your breath.

I know I'm not holding mine.

He might eventually hit righties better through scouting and things like that, but not even Homer Bailey could walk Brandon Phillips.

Go earn that coin BP. Earn that coin.

Highlifeman21
02-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, it is good to have the leader of the team under contract for a few years.

They signed Dunn to a LTC?

Highlifeman21
02-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Good news.

And the elephant that is Adam Dunn hovers more massively by the second.

Great. Another reason for people to hate Adam Dunn.

You just called him fat.

Good job VP, good job.

Mainspark
02-15-2008, 02:35 PM
CINCINNATI (AP) — Second baseman Brandon Phillips has agreed to a $27 million, four-year deal, settling the Cincinnati Reds’ final arbitration case.
The 26-year-old infielder had a breakout season last year, when he joined Alfonso Soriano as the only second basemen in major league history to hit 30 homers and steal 30 bases.
Agents Sam and Seth Levinson negotiated the deal for Phillips, who wants to stay with the team that gave him a second chance by getting him from Cleveland in a trade. Phillips had asked for $4.2 million in arbitration, and the Reds had offered $2.7 million.
The new contract includes a club option for a fifth season. If Phillips is traded, it becomes a mutual option that would bring the total value of the contract to $43.25 million.

RedLegSuperStar
02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
CINCINNATI (AP) — Second baseman Brandon Phillips has agreed to a $27 million, four-year deal, settling the Cincinnati Reds’ final arbitration case.
The 26-year-old infielder had a breakout season last year, when he joined Alfonso Soriano as the only second basemen in major league history to hit 30 homers and steal 30 bases.
Agents Sam and Seth Levinson negotiated the deal for Phillips, who wants to stay with the team that gave him a second chance by getting him from Cleveland in a trade. Phillips had asked for $4.2 million in arbitration, and the Reds had offered $2.7 million.
The new contract includes a club option for a fifth season. If Phillips is traded, it becomes a mutual option that would bring the total value of the contract to $43.25 million.

4 years 27 million is a STEAL!

Chip R
02-15-2008, 02:41 PM

So he'd be paid $16.25M that 5th year?

Benihana
02-15-2008, 02:51 PM
That's a great deal!

It is becoming more and more clear that the window for this team to win a championship will be 2009-2011.

Buckeye33
02-15-2008, 02:52 PM
So he'd be paid $16.25M that 5th year?

That sounds about right. I'm guessing he is simply covering himself in case he continues to have 30-30 seasons. If he is still considered a gold glover and has a couple more 30-30 seasons he can get a huge payday at the end of the contract. If he isn't worth 16 mill in 2012, the Reds are only on the hook for 27 mill.

KronoRed
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Congrats Brandon, welcome to the 'you're paid big bucks so you best never fail' club..say hello to JR and Dunn ;)

pahster
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Good deal for both sides.

RedsManRick
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
From mlbtraderumors.com -- an interest comment.

The question is, what is the projected amount of savings the Reds are getting here? Chase Utley signed his extension in January of '07. For his fourth through seventh years in the bigs he'll get $38MM, plus a $2MM signing bonus. Robinson Cano will make $39MM for the same slice of his career if his 2012 option is exercised. Viewed that way, the Phillips deal seems solid.

Matt700wlw
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Good job, Reds.

lollipopcurve
02-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Good for BP. Seems to me he's gone the extra yard for the organization time after time after time. Glad that's been recognized.

fearofpopvol1
02-15-2008, 03:10 PM
That's a pretty excellent contract. Hard to be upset when it's under $30 mil for 4 years. If there is one thing Wayne is great at, it is definitely contracts.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Brandon Phillips is what's right about the Reds. I'm glad to have a man on this team that has said publicly many times that he wants to stay in Cincinnati as a Red for his entire career. BP has backed that talk up today!!!

Reds Fanatic
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
4 years $27 M is a great deal. Glad this to see Phillips is signed long term.

Here are some more details on the contract:

WMR
02-15-2008, 03:25 PM
That seems like a hell of a lot for the fifth year...

membengal
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Sounds like that 5th year only shows up if Phillips is traded?

redsmetz
02-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds like that 5th year only shows up if Phillips is traded?

No, we hold an option regardless. If he's traded, the option becomes mutual meaning both Phillips and his new club must exercise the option. It's another way of saying he wants to stay with the club because it slightly diminishes his trade value since the new club would risk him not exercising the option and going to Free Agency.

traderumor
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I understand the consternation over Phillips free-swinging ways, and I understand why that can cause problems with slumps and the like, but his free-swinging ways is what makes him successful at the plate. Not every player has to fit in a tidy little hitting approach box. A lineup full of them can be a problem, but a free-swinger can be a complement in an overall patient lineup.

PuffyPig
02-15-2008, 03:34 PM
No, we hold an option regardless. If he's traded, the option becomes mutual meaning both Phillips and his new club must exercise the option. It's another way of saying he wants to stay with the club because it slightly diminishes his trade value since the new club would risk him not exercising the option and going to Free Agency.

Actually, mutual options can work many ways. Sometimes they mean that either can exercise it. Until we see it, we won't know for sure.

Buckeye33
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Actually, mutual options can work many ways. Sometimes they mean that either can exercise it. Until we see it, we won't know for sure.

That's how I seem to remember most mutual options working. Right now, the Reds have the club option to pay him 16 million in 2012. If he's traded the option then becomes mutual and either Brandon or the new club could kick the option year in.

It protects Phillips from getting traded in 2011 and the new club having the option not to have to pay him anything in 2012 and get draft picks for him. If he's traded, he then can kick the option in himself and be promised 16 million in 2012. That is what I would guess is in the contract.

WMR
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Explained like that, it makes him MUCH less tradeable, seems to me.

Johnny Footstool
02-15-2008, 03:52 PM
What a great deal. To me, it says a lot about Phillips as a person -- he doesn't have to fuel his ego by being the highest-paid player around.

I understand the consternation over Phillips free-swinging ways, and I understand why that can cause problems with slumps and the like, but his free-swinging ways is what makes him successful at the plate. Not every player has to fit in a tidy little hitting approach box. A lineup full of them can be a problem, but a free-swinger can be a complement in an overall patient lineup.

A lineup needs both early-count and late-count hitters -- guys who jump on the first good pitch they see, and guys who wear the opposing pitcher down.

I think Phillips can grow out of his free-swinging ways and become a good, aggressive, early-count hitter with a decent BB/K ratio.

Reds Fanatic
02-15-2008, 03:57 PM
According to the article on the Reds web site the club option for the 5th year would be $12 million. Apparently if traded the deal would go up another $4.25 million to get to that 43.25 figure.

WMR
02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
According to the article on the Reds web site the club option for the 5th year would be $12 million. Apparently if traded the deal would go up another $4.25 million to get to that 43.25 figure.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for the edification, RF.

It still makes him much less tradeable, but on the flipside, it makes it much more likely that he's a Red for at least five years if he continues to play like we all hope and expect he will.

Reds Fanatic
02-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for the edification, RF.

It still makes him much less tradeable, but on the flipside, it makes it much more likely that he's a Red for at least five years if he continues to play like we all hope and expect he will.
The whole thing is a little confusing after reading it again here it what it says in this article:

According to Major League sources, Phillips is guaranteed $27 million plus an additional $12 million if the club option is picked up for the fifth year. That option becomes a mutual option if Phillips is traded, and salary escalators in the option year could increase the total value of the package to $43.25 million.

OnBaseMachine
02-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Great deal for the Reds. 4 years at 27 million is a very solid move. I like Brandon Phillips a lot, I'm glad that he will be around for a while.

Next up: Adam Dunn.

red-in-la
02-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Now that he is a multi-millionairre.....I sure hope he still plays all-out.

traderumor
02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
What a great deal. To me, it says a lot about Phillips as a person -- he doesn't have to fuel his ego by being the highest-paid player around.

A lineup needs both early-count and late-count hitters -- guys who jump on the first good pitch they see, and guys who wear the opposing pitcher down.

I think Phillips can grow out of his free-swinging ways and become a good, aggressive, early-count hitter with a decent BB/K ratio.I think that's what he already is and honestly don't expect him to waver much in his BA driven OBP.

reds44
02-15-2008, 04:38 PM
I think that's what he already is and honestly don't expect him to waver much in his BA driven OBP.
Then why not stick him the leadoff spot like the Cubs do with Soriano and let him look first pitch fastball?

Patrick Bateman
02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Then why not stick him the leadoff spot like the Cubs do with Soriano and let him look first pitch fastball?

Because his batting skills are mostly power dependent, rather than OBP based. His skill set fits better driving guys like Dunn in. Fits well in the 4-5 spots.

Johnny Footstool
02-15-2008, 04:47 PM
I think that's what he already is and honestly don't expect him to waver much in his BA driven OBP.

I think his BA and OPB will go up if he learns to stop chasing those low-and-away sliders.

WMR
02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd like to see Dunn 3rd, BP clean-up, and Griffey 5th

PuffyPig
02-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I think his BA and OPB will go up if he learns to stop chasing those low-and-away sliders.

I think every hitter in the world will improve if they stop swinging at bad pitches.

Johnny Footstool
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I think every hitter in the world will improve if they stop swinging at bad pitches.

Absolutely, but I haven't noticed any hitter getting fooled by one particular pitch as much as Phillips. The low-and-away slider seems to be Brandon's kryptonite.

OnBaseMachine
02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I'd like to see Dunn 3rd, BP clean-up, and Griffey 5th

I really wouldn't mind something along the lines of:

Jay Bruce
Edwin Encarnacion
Adam Dunn
Brandon Phillips
Ken Griffey Jr.
Joey Votto
David Ross
Alex Gonzalez

or

Joey Votto
Edwin Encarnacion
Adam Dunn
Brandon Phillips
Ken Griffey Jr.
Jay Bruce
David Ross
Alex Gonzalez

Flip flop Griffey/Phillips and I would be OK with that too.

BuckeyeRedleg
02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I must say, Wayne's on a roll.

Count me as one that is happy to be a Reds fan today.

fearofpopvol1
02-15-2008, 06:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3247805

CINCINNATI -- Second baseman Brandon Phillips agreed to a $27 million, four-year deal on Friday, settling the Cincinnati Reds' final arbitration case and satisfying a player who doesn't want to leave.

Agents Sam and Seth Levinson negotiated the deal for Phillips, who wanted to stay with the team that gave him a second chance by getting him from Cleveland in a trade. Phillips had asked for $4.2 million in arbitration, and the Reds had offered $2.7 million.

The new contract includes a club option for a fifth season. If Phillips is traded, it becomes a mutual option, and the total value of the contract increases to $43.25 million over five years.

"To tell you the truth, I wanted to get a contract that would let me be with the Cincinnati Reds for a long time," Phillips said in a conference call. "This is the one team I want to play for.

"Barry Larkin played for this team. He's one person I've looked up to. Another reason is that the Reds gave me a second chance. They opened up the door to me. The city welcomed me with open arms. I just want to make sure I give back to them from what they gave to me."

Phillips made $407,500 last season, when he finally met the high expectations set for him early in his career.

The Indians considered him one of their top prospects, but he struggled when promoted to the majors and fell out of favor with the organization. By opening day 2006, the Indians were out of options and patience with Phillips, who traded him to the Reds for a player to be named.

The move shocked Phillips, who realized he was getting a second and perhaps final chance in Cincinnati. He hit .276 with 17 homers and 75 RBIs that season, taking over as the starting second baseman along the way.

Last year, he emerged as one of the team's up-and-coming stars. He joined outfielder Eric Davis and Larkin as the only Reds players to have 30 homers and steals in a season. He also broke Joe Morgan's team record for homers by a second baseman.

He had a 22-game hitting streak early in the season, the best of his career. Phillips also led NL second basemen in fielding percentage, committing only eight errors.

Even Phillips was surprised by how well he did, especially with home runs. He, Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. all hit 30.

"Griffey told me, 'Don't limit yourself because you don't know how good you are,' " Phillips said. "Honestly, I didn't know I was capable of doing things like that.

"I know I can play this game. I never doubted myself. My goal was to be 20-20. I didn't think I would exceed my goal by that much. I knew I could hit 30 homers, I knew I was capable, but I didn't think I was going to do it last year."

Phillips plans to join the team for spring training in Sarasota, Fla., over the weekend. Reds pitchers and catchers open camp with their first workout on Sunday afternoon.

Don't you just like hearing stuff like that? I can't recall any Red in recent memory being that outspoken about playing in Cincinnati.

gm
02-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Absolutely, but I haven't noticed any hitter getting fooled by one particular pitch as much as Phillips. The low-and-away slider seems to be Brandon's kryptonite.

Sammy Sosa says :wave:

westofyou
02-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Sammy Sosa says :wave:

Sliders made hitting a little tougher. I could hit the slider -- no question about hitting it -- but I couldn’t hit it in the air, and they got the big shift against me. And if I don’t hit an absolute thirty-ought-six bullet through there, some guy’s in the middle of it.

Teddy Ballgame

vaticanplum
02-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I must say, Wayne's on a roll.

Count me as one that is happy to be a Reds fan today.

Phillips's is one of Krivsky's greatest accomplishments all around. This team has so far to go, but it's so nice to be proud of your organization every once in a while instead of burying your face in your beer every time the subject of baseball comes up at the bar. Although -- I can't let this go -- if they let Dunn walk, I will rebury in greater shame than ever.

RedsManRick
02-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Because it's a bad idea for the Cubs too. Soriano batting leadoff and Fukudome batting 5th probably costs the Cubs 10-15 runs over the course of the season, if not more. That power will be more productive with guys on base ahead of it, the low OBP makes them poor table setters for the power coming up behind them, and that speed is more useful at the bottom of the order than the top, where the guys coming up struggle moving guys over and in on their own.

jojo
02-15-2008, 07:22 PM

You'd think but in reality it just makes them walk more with RISP.... :cool:

jojo
02-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Sliders made hitting a little tougher. I could hit the slider -- no question about hitting it -- but I couldn’t hit it in the air, and they got the big shift against me. And if I don’t hit an absolute thirty-ought-six bullet through there, some guy’s in the middle of it.

Teddy Ballgame

Teddy needs to tell Brandon to keep his eye on the dot.

OnBaseMachine
02-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Reds sign Phillips to four-year deal
Contract worth reported $27 million ends threat of arbitration
By Jim Molony / MLB.com

The Reds agreed to terms on Friday with second baseman Brandon Phillips on a four-year contract with a club option for 2012 worth at least $27 million.

The agreement means the two sides avoid arbitration.

The Reds did not announce terms, but according to Major League sources, Phillips is guaranteed $27 million plus an additional $12 million if the club option is picked up for the fifth year. That option becomes a mutual option if Phillips is traded, and salary escalators in the option year could increase the total value of the package to $43.25 million.

"This is the one team I wanted to play for," Phillips said. "I didn't want to go to arbitration. When [Reds general manager] Wayne [Krivsky] started talking to my agent about a long-term deal, I was very happy about that. The Reds gave me a second chance. They opened up the door for me -- the city welcomed me with open arms. I'm going to give back to the community. I'm going to do many things within the city. I'm going to be really into the community -- I want people to know who I am."

Phillips, 26, had been seeking a one-year deal worth $4.2 million, while the Reds were offering $2.7 million for the 2008 season. Phillips, acquired by the Reds from the Indians on April 7, 2006, for pitcher Jeff Stevens, was paid $408,000 last season.

Phillips accepted the new deal even though he may have commanded more by signing a shorter-term deal, having a good season and testing the free-agent market down the road.

"My agent told me you're losing some money by [accepting the deal], but I wasn't really worried about that," Phillips said. "I just wanted the Reds to sign me to a long-term deal. I've said that since Day 1. I just wanted it to be a fair deal, fair to me and fair to my family. [I don't care] about me losing money and stuff -- the Reds [are] my home now."

Phillips said the new contract won't add any pressure to live up to the obligation.

"I'm just going to continue to be myself," he said. "I'm still hungry. I'm not that type of person -- my momma didn't raise me like that. I'm still going to go out and play the game the way I know how and try to do better than I did last year. I love the pressure."

Phillips batted .288 with 30 home runs and 94 RBIs in 2007, and he stole 32 bases and scored 107 runs, finishing ninth in the National League in both categories, while posting a .990 fielding percentage and a career-best .816 OPS. He became only the second second baseman in Major League history to produce at least 30 homers and 30 steals in the same season.

It was a performance that surprised even Phillips.

"I didn't think I was capable of hitting 30 home runs or putting up the numbers I did," Phillips said. "My goal was to be 20-20. I didn't know I could exceed my goal by that much. I went from 10 to 30 [homers]. It just surprised me. I knew I was capable of doing that, but I didn't think it was going to happen last year.

"That just showed me things that I didn't think I can do. [Ken] Griffey [Jr.] told me, 'Don't limit yourself to anything, because you don't know how good you are.' I'm just going out there to have fun and go out and do the things I can do."

While establishing single-season franchise records for a second baseman in total bases (315) and home runs (30), in 2007 Phillips also led all NL second sackers in fielding percentage (eight errors, .990), total chances (782), putouts (341) and assists (433).

Among all Major League second basemen, Phillips ranked in the top three in almost every major offensive category. He led the Reds in games (158), runs, hits (187), total bases, triples (six), stolen bases and multi-hit games (56).

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080215&content_id=2374258&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Raisor
02-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Nice signing I guess.

I still wouldn't hit him 3rd or 4th.

sonny
02-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Pressure's off big guy, now get back in the cage and learn to hit righties!

Reds Fanatic
02-15-2008, 08:57 PM
This is from John Fay:

When you promise a guy a fortune -- as the Reds have with Brandon Phillips -- it helps if he says this:

“I wanted a contract that would keep with the Reds for a long time,” he said. “This is the one team I want to play for. I don’t want to be with nobody else.

"The Reds gave me a second chance,” he said. “They opened up the door for me. The fans welcomed me with open arms. I want to make sure I give back to them. I want to do community service. I want to give back to the community. I’m going to do many things in the city. I’m going to go to certain places and try to find me a field. I want people to know who I am. I want to bring more people to the stadium. I want to be how Barry Larkin was."

Phillips was willing to take less money to stay.

"My agent told me that. I wasn't really worried about that. I just wanted to Reds to sign me to a long-term deal. I said that from Day 1. I wanted to be with the Reds. I'm not going to say money wasn't a thing. But I just wanted it to be fair, fair to me, fair to my family."

KronoRed
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Nice signing I guess.

I still wouldn't hit him 3rd or 4th.

5th, he's the right handed power

PuffyPig
02-15-2008, 10:34 PM
5th, he's the right handed power

I think the main reason he has hit 4th is to separate the lefties.

If Griffey was replaced by a RH hitter, I think you would see Phillips hitting 5th, with Dunn 4th.

camisadelgolf
02-16-2008, 01:51 AM
I think the main reason he has hit 4th is to separate the lefties.

If Griffey was replaced by a RH hitter, I think you would see Phillips hitting 5th, with Dunn 4th.

I know you were just being hypothetical, but for the sake of discussion, I'd put Phillips third and Griffey fifth. Griffey just doesn't get around the bases fast enough.

traderumor
02-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Teddy needs to tell Brandon to keep his eye on the dot.
Because that's all there is to it :rolleyes:

Raisor
02-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Because that's all there is to it :rolleyes:

Hey, if BP can get his OBP up to the 360 range without taking more walks, more power to him.

Right now he's an out machine, especially against RHP.

traderumor
02-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey, if BP can get his OBP up to the 360 range without taking more walks, more power to him.

Right now he's an out machine, especially against RHP.Right, I just think jojo is being a bit simplistic on how to accomplish that, similar to the early suggestion someone made for him to quit swinging at bad pitches. Sorta like if I tell my clients if they'd quit spending money, they'd have more of it. While true at some level, I doubt if I'd get paid for that advice.

GAC
02-16-2008, 07:56 AM

Adam Dunns too. The guy couldn't lay off of it if his life depended on it.

jojo
02-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Right, I just think jojo is being a bit simplistic on how to accomplish that, similar to the early suggestion someone made for him to quit swinging at bad pitches. Sorta like if I tell my clients if they'd quit spending money, they'd have more of it. While true at some level, I doubt if I'd get paid for that advice.

I think jojo was commenting on how simple Teddy made it look by making reference to how to identify the pitch based upon it's rotation.

Not only is that funny, good stuff, its not the same thing as telling Phillips to quit swinging at bad pitches.

BTW, assuming clients are trying to build wealth, if at some point their financial planner doesn't advise them to quit spending so much money, he's not doing his job and shouldn't get paid.

TOBTTReds
02-16-2008, 09:28 AM

You guys have short memories. Sammy Sosa and Alfonso Soriano have never hit a ball that breaks, and they swing at everything that was once in the zone. Soriano is 10x's worse than BP when it comes to laying off the slider.

Also Wily Mo comes to mind.

traderumor
02-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I think jojo was commenting on how simple Teddy made it look by making reference to how to identify the pitch based upon it's rotation.

Not only is that funny, good stuff, its not the same thing as telling Phillips to quit swinging at bad pitches.

BTW, assuming clients are trying to build wealth, if at some point their financial planner doesn't advise them to quit spending so much money, he's not doing his job and shouldn't get paid.
Aside from the use of first person in reference to yourself, if it were as simple as all that, either you'd be the hitting coach instead of typing advice for free or you'd be playing.

As for my analogy, I hope your financial planner is providing a little more than "don't spend." That is the point of the analogy--simplistic advice. Likewise, if you're Brandon's hitting coach and your advice is "keep your eye on the ball, son" as it boiled down to what you were saying, he is likely going to give you one of these :rolleyes:

In both cases, the person has every right to say, with finger in full picking position, "gee, I never thought of that."

WMR
02-16-2008, 09:33 AM
My little league coach was always telling me that... are you saying he was providing poor advice?? ;)

redsrule2500
02-16-2008, 09:44 AM
What if he gets lazy with guaranteed millions??????????

WMR
02-16-2008, 09:51 AM
What happens if he has another couple seasons like last season and makes double in arbitration compared to what we now have him under contract for? :rolleyes:

PuffyPig
02-16-2008, 10:35 AM

So, you never sign anyone to a multi-year contract?

westofyou
02-16-2008, 10:40 AM
So, you never sign anyone to a multi-year contract?
Howsam like that would be.

jojo
02-16-2008, 01:01 PM
As for my analogy, I hope your financial planner is providing a little more than "don't spend." That is the point of the analogy--simplistic advice. Likewise, if you're Brandon's hitting coach and your advice is "keep your eye on the ball, son" as it boiled down to what you were saying, he is likely going to give you one of these :rolleyes:

Except that my comment wasn't implying, "keep your eye on the ball son". If learning to lay off of sliders that are purposefully thrown out of the zone doesn't begin with first recognizing a slider is being thrown (and the ball's rotation is an important clue), then where does it begin?

Likewise, if my financial planner doesn't begin the conversation with what's coming in and what's being spent, I don't care about his other advice.

Aside from the use of first person in reference to yourself, if it were as simple as all that, either you'd be the hitting coach instead of typing advice for free or you'd be playing.

Well by that standard, your opinion on the subject is unqualified. Since by logical extension that statement was an attack on all ORG members, it was a silly ad hominen that probably should've been reserved for the PM function.

Once again, if learning to lay off a slider doesn't begin with pitch recognition, where does it?

Red Heeler
02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
TR and Jojo, let's get back on track, please. Thanks.

camisadelgolf
02-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Brandon Phillips is a freak. What I mean is that it's ridiculous how fan-friendly he is relative to other MLB players. On top of that, he has repeatedly said that he wants to stay in Cincinnati.

Personally, I am expecting a regression at any moment, but I hope he continues to prove me wrong (as he most certainly did in 2007). As long as he produces at a level between his 2006 and 2007 numbers (or better), you won't hear me complain about him at his price.

CrackerJack
02-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Why would you think he'd do that? Would you say the same about Dunn? Kearns when he was here? Arroyo? Harang? Why Phillips?

Because he wears his hat cocked? Is he too "uppity" like Larkin for this city?

I hear the silly hustle tag attributed to guys like Stynes, Freel and Rose, but never a guy like Phillips. Why?

Sorry just a pet peeve of mine in this city.

*BaseClogger*
02-16-2008, 03:33 PM
So any idea of how much money they are saving? It better be quite a bit since they are only buying out one year of FA, and it better help them go get a pitcher like Derek Lowe (if they need him ;))...

camisadelgolf
02-16-2008, 03:43 PM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/cincinnati-reds_24.html

Brandon Phillips 2b
4 years/$27M (2008-11), plus 2012 club option

* re-signed 2/15/08 (avoided arbitration, $4.2M-$2.7M)
* $0.75M signing bonus
* 08:$2.75M, 09:$4.75M, 10:$6.75M, 11:$11M, 12:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
* escalators based on awards may bring total package to $43.25M
* if traded, 2012 club option becomes mutual option

traderumor
02-16-2008, 05:14 PM
TR and Jojo, let's get back on track, please. Thanks.Jojo, there is nothing in my post that needs to be put in a pm. There is nothing ultimately personal or ad hominem, and you seem to be a bit thin-skinned for someone who is regularly correcting folks.

Mr. mod, now we are off topic, before we were discussing BP's hitting approach by analogy, which was on topic.

pedro
02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
So any idea of how much money they are saving? It better be quite a bit since they are only buying out one year of FA, and it better help them go get a pitcher like Derek Lowe (if they need him ;))...

As with Arroyo and Harang, I think this is somewhat of a "bellweather" signing that is not so much about saving money as it is about projecting commitment not only as an organization but also as a workplace which I think sometimes gets lost by folks in the analysis.

fearofpopvol1
02-16-2008, 05:20 PM
As with Arroyo and Harang, I think this is somewhat of a "bellweather" signing that is not so much about saving money as it is about projecting commitment not only as an organization but also as a workplace which I think sometimes gets lost by folks in the analysis.

That's a great point and I agree with you.

jojo
02-16-2008, 05:39 PM

Concerning the money, my personal feeling is that this is a bit of an overpay because I think last season's power spike won't be the norm for him (I think he's going to be pretty much an average bat). That said, I think you're right on regarding the commitment. The Reds were brilliant to not take Phillips to arbitration. They very well might have lost anyway after having to verbalize to Phillips all the reasons they think he isn't worth it. The LTC couldn't send a more opposite and positive message.

The Reds have decided he's their guy at second. That item is checked off of their to do list for the next several seasons.

Johnny Footstool
02-17-2008, 02:07 AM
You guys have short memories. Sammy Sosa and Alfonso Soriano have never hit a ball that breaks, and they swing at everything that was once in the zone. Soriano is 10x's worse than BP when it comes to laying off the slider.

Also Wily Mo comes to mind.

Wily Mo has trouble with anything that bends.

Soriano and Sosa, I've never watched them closely. But Phillips, any of the hundred or so ABs I've seen, a low-and-away slider seems to elicit a swing-from-the-heels miss or easy ground-out. I'd love to see him fix that.