PDA

View Full Version : Reds in HD on FSN in 2008?

I(heart)Freel
02-17-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm as geeked up about this season as any I can remember.

But this year, I'm betting I'll be watching A LOT on television. I love going to ballpark, and usually get down there about 20-30 games a year, between my power pak seats, company tickets, friends' tickets and walk-up bleacher buys. Alas, it's a new day for this Reds fan.

I'm expecting my first baby sometime during this spring training. Another Reds fan in the house, at last!

All this means is that, after opening day (which has already been negotiated into the post-birth deal), I will be staying home a lot.

So... I ask those of you in the know from last season: how did you watch the Reds in HD?

I had Time Warner last year and got fed up with all their BS. So I jumped to DirecTV. Did they set up a special channel for Fox Sports Cincinnati in HD? I know Insight Cable in NKy picked up the actual Fox SPorts Cincinnati HD channel. Will DirecTV? God forbid, will TWC?

Just wondering what people did last year and if anyone heard anything about this year?

Thanks.

Caveman Techie
02-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm curious about this too. This is my first year with HD (Time Warner Cinci) and I will be really ticked off if they don't have any Reds games in HD.

Bip Roberts
02-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Time warner doesnt care about HD. You sign up for it get a few channels then you have to spend even more money to get the good ones :(. I would like an update on if Ill ever get to watch a reds game in HD though.

robmadden1
02-17-2008, 01:20 PM
If you get directv you can watch the games that are in HD in HD. In October I said f/u to time warner because when my uncle died lastApril they jacked us around with the disonection of his service they wanted to disconnect road runner and ythe cable when we just wanted the cable disconected. They diconected the cable and road. We had them put road back on. Then thewy did it again and we baisacally cused them out on the phone about iot because they sent a techj out to get the modem when nobody was thier at my uncles place. Because of this crap i cancled my time and went to directv have not had one problem ever since.

HalMorrisRules
02-17-2008, 03:10 PM
For those with DirecTV and the "DirecTV branded" receivers and DVR's that can get all of the HD channels that went active last fall, you will notice a channel 638-1. This is saved for HD broadcasts that FSN-OH carries. It hasnt carried much if any HD content yet but my guess is it will show the Reds in HD when they are broadcast that way by FSN-OH.

justincredible
02-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately I am stuck with TW in my apartment so I have no chance of catching any Reds game in HD. Luckily I only live a few blocks from the stadium this season so I can just get up and go down whenever I want.

durl
02-17-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm with Directv and get Reds games via the secondary RSN. Their new HD channels broadcast with the new MPEG-4 compression look amazing. FSN Ohio and Cincinnati HD channels became available in the fall and I've been looking forward to more Reds HD baseball ever since. I'm still looking for a detailed schedule of games available in HD for this season.

durl
03-07-2008, 08:53 AM
I've been looking around for a Reds TV schedule for this season but I haven't found anything yet. On another board (satellite TV) I read through a thread with links to many other teams' TV schedules including HD games. I'm optimistic that the Reds will have a lot of games in HD. I'm seeing some team schedules where every home game is in HD...including the Astros.

So has anyone seen a TV schedule? Chances are it's right in front of my face and I'm missing it.

muethibp
03-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I've been looking around for a Reds TV schedule for this season but I haven't found anything yet. On another board (satellite TV) I read through a thread with links to many other teams' TV schedules including HD games. I'm optimistic that the Reds will have a lot of games in HD. I'm seeing some team schedules where every home game is in HD...including the Astros.

So has anyone seen a TV schedule? Chances are it's right in front of my face and I'm missing it.

I haven't seen a schedule describing HD coverage. For those of us that have Time Warner, unless and until Time Warner adds a Fox Sports HD channel, it wouldn't matter if the game was filmed in HD, we couldn't pick it up anyway...I think...

nineworldseries
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I haven't seen a schedule describing HD coverage. For those of us that have Time Warner, unless and until Time Warner adds a Fox Sports HD channel, it wouldn't matter if the game was filmed in HD, we couldn't pick it up anyway...I think...

We (in Columbus) have a Fox Sports Ohio HD channel on Time Warner Digital Cable, but nothing really ever seems to be on it. I'm hoping they will be broadcasting Reds games on it, though

fugowitribe
03-07-2008, 11:03 AM
On another thread, someone stated that FSN HD was now available in the Cincinnati and Dayton areas through Time Warner.

steig
03-07-2008, 12:08 PM
According to the other thread Fox Sports HD is coming to dayton at the end of March as channel 768.

mroby85
03-07-2008, 12:36 PM
just in time for opening day :D

dthomas24
03-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I just saw today, 1530 Homer- C. Trent Rosecrans Blog, that there will be over 70 games in HD for the Reds this year.

dthomas24
03-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Here it is, taken directly from his blog today:

We just got FSN Ohio's Reds schedule. It's 145 games including 71 in HD. When I can find a decent way to publish it, I will...

OUReds
03-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Maybe I'm just greedy, but If some are in HD, I wonder why they aren't ALL in HD.

Ahh well, it's a start. Reds in HD is about 1/2 the reason I bought my shiny new television.

Dunn44
03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
71 games in HD is awesome. Seems like not to long ago they didnt even televise 71 games.

durl
03-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Glad I could get the ball rolling for the Reds to release their TV schedule. ;)

For those interested, here's a link:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080307&content_id=2410937&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Maybe I'm just greedy, but If some are in HD, I wonder why they aren't ALL in HD.

It probably comes down to the availability of HD production trucks.

Driver62
03-09-2008, 01:03 PM
According to the other thread Fox Sports HD is coming to dayton at the end of March as channel 768.

Will that be on the HD tier that you have to pay extra for?

OUReds
03-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I can't speak top to Dayton market specificaly, but here in Athens it is part of the free HD channels. I watch HD Cavs games every once in a while.

redsfanfalcon
03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
For those of you that live in Lebanon and receive Cincinnati Bell cable (formerly City of Lebanon) I e-mailed them today and they said they will be broadcasting those HD Reds games in HD on a channel TBA.

I(heart)Freel
03-10-2008, 05:54 PM
The always-reliable John Kiesewetter at the ENQ updated the situation today on his blog.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2008/03/71reds-games-in-hdtv.asp

Sounds like everyone in the Cincinnati area should be happy soon enough. TWC and Insight look like good bets, and DirecTV and Dish folks are already set.

Go crystal-clear Reds!

Newman4
03-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Why isn't Opening Day in HD?

I(heart)Freel
03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
from the article:

"It just kills me that we couldn’t do Opening Day in high-definition. There just wasn't enough satellite HD transponder time for the game," Liverani says.

lenmccart
03-11-2008, 06:24 PM
you do not have to pay any more money to get some HD channels like you used to.

A while ago, you had to buy the "HD Tier 1" to get ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery, etc.. I believe it cost $6.95

But they recently changed it so those channels are included with the regular pricing. They did not tell anyone these changes were made, so if you signed up for that you need to call TWC and tell them to remove the HD Tier. It will save you $7 a month.

You will also lose channels like MOJO and INHD or whatever...but who cares.

Rumors are that FSNHD will be on the regular "free" network.

Adam

durl
03-11-2008, 11:19 PM
One thing to keep in mind regarding HD availability is that the infrastructure to handle HD broadcasts is still limited. Broadcasting HD means all new equipment, from cameras and production trucks to broadcast equipment and delivery systems. It's growing quickly but it takes time (and a LOT of money) to essentially redo a network setup.