PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite "B" or cult films

TRF
02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Two that immediately spring to mind: They Live and Big Trouble in Little China.

I'm also strangely fond of The Golden Child.

edabbs44
02-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Midnight Madness

Ltlabner
02-17-2008, 05:35 PM
The king of all B movies....Roadhouse.

There are none higher.

Although Navy Seals, Escape From New York and Lassiter are pretty good.

Corvette Summer still sucks, however.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Army of Darkness and other horribly awesome Bruce Campbell movies.

MWM
02-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Better Off Dead ---- Give me my two dollars!!!!!!!!!

MrCinatit
02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes kills me. And seeing a young George Clooney ham it up in the sequel is priceless.
Six String Samurai.
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai.
Evil Dead.
Phantom of the Paradise.
Amazon Women On The Moon.

Many others.

WMR
02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
RE-ANIMATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Accept no substitute! :D

SteelSD
02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Anything with Godzilla (excluding the Matthew Broderick film)

Better off Dead

Escape from New York

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Night Watch

Day Watch

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Darkman

WMR
02-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Donnie Darko: Director's Cut

Caveat Emperor
02-17-2008, 06:32 PM
I'll go with Disney's classic "The Black Hole" -- the science was absurdly bad (including, but not limited to, walking through open space as a ship is torn apart), but be damned if it isn't a fun movie to watch.

Honorable mentions to "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" and "Army of Darkness."

redsfanmia
02-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Revenge of the Nerds is one of my all time favorites.

Falls City Beer
02-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Midnight Madness

The best

"Hug Me!"

Unassisted
02-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Real Genius

sonny
02-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Repo Man, Clash of the Titans, Chopping Mall (Oh my, is that one bad!)

guttle11
02-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Clerks
Mallrats

HumnHilghtFreel
02-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Clash of the Titans

Ah, I love this movie for some odd reason. I've seen it dozens of times.

sonny
02-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Ah, I love this movie for some odd reason. I've seen it dozens of times.

The're remaking that badboy. Summer 2010, watch out!

"Take this shield, render it well. For one day, it will guard your life.":thumbup:

MrCinatit
02-17-2008, 07:30 PM

"Take this shield, render it well. For one day, it will guard your life.":thumbup:

...done by the same guy that did League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Yikes.

Too bad, too, because the reason the original was great was for one reason: Ray Harryhausen. That was his last F/X project, and the stop-motion effects still look great, IMHO - though slighly dated.

Oh, and anther great cult classic: F/X.

cincinnati chili
02-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

I'd call this an 'A' or at least A minus movie. Same with Snatch.

Midnight Run, Office Space, Elf, Borat, lots of Mel Brooks movies, lots of the Zucker Abrams movies.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-17-2008, 07:37 PM

I'm not sure how to feel about this! It would be odd seeing it with all the new CG. I love the old claymation type stuff in it.

I love me some mythology though!

Hap
02-17-2008, 07:39 PM
takin it off

showgirls

private school

hardbodies

sonny
02-17-2008, 07:40 PM
...done by the same guy that did League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Yikes.

Too bad, too, because the reason the original was great was for one reason: Ray Harryhausen. That was his last F/X project, and the stop-motion effects still look great, IMHO - though slighly dated.

Yeah, if they kept Medusa and the Krakken looking the same, I'd be very interested in see this one. Of course they'd probably get someone like Ryan Phillipe to play Perseus.:thumbdown

Jack Burton
02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Street Fighter (w/ Sonny Chiba)
Any Bruce Lee flick
Fear of a Black Hat

SteelSD
02-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Donnie Darko: Director's Cut

Crap. I forgot that one. And I own it!

Clerks
Mallrats

I own those two as well. My brain is asleep.

Others I forgot I own that may (read: may) qualify as either "B" or "cult" films:

Saints and Soldiers
Serenity
Glengarry Glen Ross

I'd call this an 'A' or at least A minus movie. Same with Snatch.

Really? I guess I can see that, but I felt that Snatch was far far more refined film than Lock, Stock.

pedro
02-17-2008, 09:15 PM
To movies not previously mentioned I'll add Sexy Beast and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

edit: add Heathers to that.

Ltlabner
02-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Great movie. Watched in about a billion times back at university. F/X II actually wasn't a bad movie either, but the first one is definatley a cult classic.

I'll toss Beastmaster onto the list.

GAC
02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Night Of The Living Dead

Roger Corman films....

Little Shop Of Horrors
The Raven
Tales of Terror
The Pit and The Pendulum

As big a western fan that I am, I was never a fan of the western B movies from the 30s/40s. Too cheesy for me.

I loved such older B classic movies/series, such as the Bowery Boys and Ma and Pa Kettle.

But I really enjoy the 1950's science fiction and monster B movies....

The Incredible Shrinking Man (one of my favorites)
I Was A Teenage Werewolf (w/ Michael Langdon)
Creature From The Black Lagoon
Gorgo
The Amazing Colossal Man
Earth vs The Flying Saucers

But one of the best was The Day The Earth Stood Still

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/earth-stood-still-klaatu.jpg

I also enjoyed Jason And The Argonauts and the Sinbad series of movies.

vaticanplum
02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Withnail and I is my favorite movie ever (besides Almost Famous, decidedly not a cult movie). I think it has a pretty big cult surrounding it, especially in Great Britain. Harold and Maude is another one I love that I think is considered "cult".

sonny
02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
One of the most memorable ones I've seen, although not a favorite is Doom Generation. A couple of scenes in that still haunt me to this day.

Patrick Bateman
02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
The Warriors

Revering4Blue
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
The Deadly Mantis

Giant Behemoth

War of the Gargantuas

Frankenstein Conquers the World (Frankenstein vs. Baragon)

X from Outer Space

edabbs44
02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
The best

"Hug Me!"

Fagabeefe?

BoydsOfSummer
Breakfast club

This Is Spinal Tap

pedro
Best in Show

edabbs44
Didn't think a lot of these would be considered "B" movies, but I am a huge fan of Lock, Stock and Mallrats as well.

Forgot about Super Troopers also. Love that movie.

GAC
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
The Warriors

That is simply an excellent B movie. And I loved the soundtrack, especially "In The City".

GAC
02-17-2008, 09:45 PM
This Is Spinal Tap

How about these guys? :lol:

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/col_k56459_a.jpg

GAC
02-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Best in Show

My wife, brother, and sister-in-law, rented and watched that movie when it first came out. It was so off-the-wall and stupid that it was funny. It has to be seen a second time.

Fred Willard is such an under-appreciated comedic actor IMHO. His commentator, with his off the topic comments, was right on.

And the couple played by Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara was simply hilarious.

MWM
02-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Best in Show

I didn't put that one because it's one of my favorite movies overall. Christopher Guest is brilliant.

KittyDuran
02-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Where do I start? :)
What I have on tape...

The Ritz
Murder by Death
Local Hero
Bachelor in Paradise
The Amazing Colossal Man
Barbarella
The Deadly Mantis
Flash Gordon
The Last Starfighter
Clash of the Titans
Tarantula
Ulysses
Snow White and the 3 Stooges
At Sword's Point
Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe
Carry on Cleo
The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T
Fathom
Allegro Non Troppo
Attack of the 50 ft Woman
Thief of Baghdad
Heavy Metal

and
most of Mel Brooks movies (if not all)
beach movies w/Frankie and Annette
road pictures with Crosby and Hope

and
many more...

redsmetz
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Plan 9 From Outer Space.

vaticanplum
02-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Splash.

Nowhere in his career did Tom Hanks ever hold any appeal for me, except for in this movie, in which I love him deeply.

edabbs44
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Armed and Dangerous was another classic.

GAC
02-17-2008, 10:13 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/4847/sreev021.jpg

http://www.britfilms.tv/images/news/dracula%20christopher%20lee.jpg

http://www.hammerfilms.com/vaults/images/films/horror/dracula_films/bride_of_dracula/bod_cushing_pr.jpg

And the master of B horror movies.....

http://lacajanegra.blogia.com/upload/Phibes.jpg

harangatang
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Jackass and Jackass 2

Falls City Beer
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
The Killer Shrews--the eponymous villains are played by dogs wearing cone-shaped masks and fake tails. It's so great; language completely fails to encompass how awesome it is.

Find it, everyone; find it and buy it. You will crap the couch laughing.

http://www.cosmichex.com/images/stills/killer_shrews.jpg

TRF
02-17-2008, 10:54 PM
A boy and his dog. Some stiff acting, but as the movie wears on, the dog loosens up a bit. Sadly, Don Johnson does not.

cincinnati chili
02-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Note to self. Go buy "Killer Shrews." That sounds right up my alley.

I didn't think Christopher Guest movies (Spinal Tap, Best in Show) counted as B movies. They're all too good.

If they count as B movies, then "Waiting For Guffman" belongs in this thread.

Razor Shines
02-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Forgot about Super Troopers also. Love that movie.

Super Troopers is great. Also Broken Lizard's Club Dread is stupidly funny. "I think you mean Pina Coladaburg."

Super Troopers 2, a prequel is in the making.

nate
02-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Repo Man (Harry Dean Stanton)
Suburbia (from the same period as Repo Man, kind of a punk film)
Sexy Beast (I know a bloke, who knows a bloke...)
Primer

George Anderson
02-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Midnight Madness

:thumbup:

I loved that flick!!! I remember it being on HBO like every day one summer back in the mid 80's.

I think that was Micheal J. Fox's movie debut also!!

Patrick Bateman
02-18-2008, 12:16 AM
2 more:

"The Ice Cream Man" starring Clint Howard. Howard plays a deranged cannabalistic Ice Cream Man. Poorly acted, awful storyline, and completely laughable. It's hilariously horrible. I really don't understand how anyone thought it was actually a good idea.

and

"The Wrong Guy" starring Dave Foley. Canadian movie, which is mainly why nobody has ever heard about it. But it's easily the funniest movie I've ever seen. I don't say that lightly as I have seen a lot of comedies, but it's constantly funny throughout. But nobody I know has ever seen it.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-18-2008, 12:22 AM
I honestly can't believe no one has said The Big Lebowski yet!!! Its an AWESOME cult classic!!! (if i just can't read and missed it then I'm sorry)

And another one I thought would be mentioned already is Startship Troopers!! This is definately in my Top 3 Favorite Movies Of All-Time!!!!!!!!

SandyD
02-18-2008, 12:55 AM
The Green Slime
Teenage Strangler

BCubb2003
02-18-2008, 01:46 AM
I am a huge fan of Lock, Stock and Mallrats

I'd like to see that one.

ThatPitchIsDunn
02-18-2008, 02:06 AM
The Killer Shrews--the eponymous villains are played by dogs wearing cone-shaped masks and fake tails. It's so great; language completely fails to encompass how awesome it is.

Find it, everyone; find it and buy it. You will crap the couch laughing.

http://www.cosmichex.com/images/stills/killer_shrews.jpg

A more modern yet equally hilarious "horror" film is Jack Frost. Not the sappy kids movie of the same name with Michael Keaton, Jack Frost is about an experimental DNA strain of a serial killer which mixes with snow to create a killer snowman. It's become one of our Christmas tradition movies. The lines, the concept, the whole thing is just incredible for all the wrong reasons.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-18-2008, 02:11 AM
A more modern yet equally hilarious "horror" film is Jack Frost. Not the sappy kids movie of the same name with Michael Keaton, Jack Frost is about an experimental DNA strain of a serial killer which mixes with snow to create a killer snowman. It's become one of our Christmas tradition movies. The lines, the concept, the whole thing is just incredible for all the wrong reasons.

:lol: I saw this a few years back. Easily one of the most hilariously awful movies I've seen.

Patrick Bateman
02-18-2008, 03:08 AM
I definitely want to see the Killer Shrews now.

TeamCasey
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
The Warriors

Good one!

Oh Warriorrrrrsssss ........ come out to plaaaaaayyyyyyyy. *chill*

Roy Tucker
02-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I was a big fan of the Edgar Allen Poe movies that Roger Corman did with Vincent Price.

House of Usher
Pit and the Pendulum
The Premature Burial
Tales of Terror
The Raven
The Terror
The Haunted Palace
The Masque of the Red Death
The Tomb of Ligeia.

Saw them when there were still Sat. afternoon matinees that were guaranteed to give you nightmares that night.

TeamCasey
02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

The Blob (I was a horror movie nut as a kid. I watched them all. The Blob freaked me out and I wouldn't go near the heat registers in our house).

TeamCasey
02-18-2008, 10:32 AM
The Brood

redsmetz
02-18-2008, 10:45 AM
My wife, brother, and sister-in-law, rented and watched that movie when it first came out. It was so off-the-wall and stupid that it was funny. It has to be seen a second time.

Fred Willard is such an under-appreciated comedic actor IMHO. His commentator, with his off the topic comments, was right on.

And the couple played by Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara was simply hilarious.

I think this whole series of films (what're they up to now, about five?) is as close to ensemble theater on film as we get. I doubt they should be considered B Movies, as others noted, but they all are just very funny. We took our kids to see Best of Show when they were little and had to leave given all the sexual inuendo, but when our daughter was in college, she watched and just roared.

Falls City Beer
02-18-2008, 12:29 PM
The Brood

Ach!

That movie reeaally freaked me out. How can you stand to watch it more than once?

Dom Heffner
02-18-2008, 12:31 PM
The Cutting Edge is a guilty pleasure.

I actually consider Con-Air and Dirty Dancing to be "B" movies that are good when viewed through that angle.

SteelSD
02-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Crud. I forgot another one...

Starship Troopers

Scrap Irony
02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Amazing Grace and Chuck, starring Gregory Peck as President (natch) and Alex English as Amazing.

Great flick, though it's a bit dated now.

Degenerate39
02-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Crud. I forgot another one...

Starship Troopers

Everyone I know hated that movie but I never had a problem with it. I enjoyed it for the most part but maybe it was just because of Denise Richards.

savafan
02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Near Dark

Degenerate39
02-18-2008, 03:10 PM
My favorite B Movie is The Replacements. I can quote that movie all day and not get tired of it. Great movie.

Chip R
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Napoleon Dynamite
Reservoir Dogs

WMR
02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Less Than Zero

The Rules of Attraction

American Psycho

MrCinatit
02-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Good one!

Oh Warriorrrrrsssss ........ come out to plaaaaaayyyyyyyy. *chill*

I was at a bar a few years ago with some good friends. I grabbed their empty bottles, put them on my fingertips and replayed the scene.
One guy fell to the ground laughing. A couple of others had no idea what I was doing.

Would Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle be considered a cult classic? The scenes with Neil Patrick Harris alone are worth the price of admission.
The original Mad Max, however, would be a B movie.
Then, there is Silent Running with Bruce Dern. Most depressing film ever.
The BBC made a nuclear-war film a few years ago called Threads. Made The Day After Tomorrow look like a picnic.

Stewie
02-18-2008, 06:17 PM
I'll second the mention of Road House that was made way up thread, and also say Teen Wolf.

marcshoe
02-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Gallipoli
(both early Peter Weir)
Burnt Offerings
(campy early seventies horror with Oliver Reed, Karen Black, Bette Davis, Burgess Meredith)

WMR
02-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Do you own any Criterion Collection movies, tixe? I have Picnic at Hanging Rock on Criterion. Trippy flick.

WMR
02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Sweet website: http://www.criterion.com

MrCinatit
02-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Anyone have a couple of bucks they want to loan me? (http://www.criterion.com/asp/janusbox.asp)

WMR
02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Anyone have a couple of bucks they want to loan me? (http://www.criterion.com/asp/janusbox.asp)

Waa waa wee waa!!

KittyDuran
02-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Demon Seed

vaticanplum
02-18-2008, 08:53 PM

That sounds truly amazing. I have to find this.

I dated a guy who had truly weird taste in movies, and he would get so excited to show me these weird things that I just did not get. But there was one that I absolutely loved. It was a Japanese movie, maybe from the 60s or 70s, and it was a musical about a family. It was in all these very day-glo colors, and all the characters looked like they were drugged, and there was a love story involved...and bizarrely, I think it was also a horror movie. It seems strange to me that THAT'S the aspect of this film I'd forget, and I may be mixing it up with another one, but on the other hand the way this movie is in my memory it would make perfect sense for it to be a horror movie. Sing, then kill. Kill, then sing. Something like that.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about? I think it may have been called "The Happy (family name)" or "The Singing (family name)"...man. This is going to drive me crazy.

Another great one is the Karen Carpenter story told with Barbie dolls. I think it may be called Superstar. It is genuinely heartbreaking, and at the same time completely and utterly weird.

GAC
02-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned......

http://www.esplatter.com/reviewsttoz/willard2.jpg

WMR
02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Open Water

marcshoe
02-18-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks. I don't own much of anything right now, and this looks like a good site to help remedy that. I see they also have The Last Wave, another early Weir movie that I've never seen but is often mentioned with Picnic at Hanging Rock.

HeatherC1212
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Dirty Dancing
Heathers
The Cutting Edge
Centerstage

Anyone else see this older 'horror' movie called The Fog? I swear it was the funniest horror movie I've ever seen and it also had one of my favorite movie quotes ever in it: "The fog is heading down main street!" LMAO :lol:

LoganBuck
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
-Office Space was a cult classic until everyone decided it was funny and began watching it.
-Idiocracy is a current favorite of mine. Brawndo (http://www.Brawndo.com) the thirst mutilator
-Any and all zombie movies, including but not limited to Zombie spoof movies like Shaun of the Dead
-Any movie that features a ridiculously overgrown animal that eats people and causes general mayhem.
-Robin Hood:Men in Tights
-Armageddon, I mean seriously what about this movie is far fetched?

ThatPitchIsDunn
02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
That sounds truly amazing. I have to find this.

I dated a guy who had truly weird taste in movies, and he would get so excited to show me these weird things that I just did not get. But there was one that I absolutely loved. It was a Japanese movie, maybe from the 60s or 70s, and it was a musical about a family. It was in all these very day-glo colors, and all the characters looked like they were drugged, and there was a love story involved...and bizarrely, I think it was also a horror movie. It seems strange to me that THAT'S the aspect of this film I'd forget, and I may be mixing it up with another one, but on the other hand the way this movie is in my memory it would make perfect sense for it to be a horror movie. Sing, then kill. Kill, then sing. Something like that.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about? I think it may have been called "The Happy (family name)" or "The Singing (family name)"...man. This is going to drive me crazy.

Another great one is the Karen Carpenter story told with Barbie dolls. I think it may be called Superstar. It is genuinely heartbreaking, and at the same time completely and utterly weird.

Rather frighteningly, I was at work reading this post aloud and one of my coworkers KNEW of this movie. He said it was called the Singing Killer, and evidently in this movie, the main character is a former criminal who now is a lounge singer or something? I don't know; I'm getting this info secondhand.

Not sure if this is the same flick vp, but evidently it was a favorite of my coworker's frat brothers in college. This truly boggles the mind.

MrCinatit
02-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Rather frighteningly, I was at work reading this post aloud and one of my coworkers KNEW of this movie. He said it was called the Singing Killer, and evidently in this movie, the main character is a former criminal who now is a lounge singer or something? I don't know; I'm getting this info secondhand.

Not sure if this is the same flick vp, but evidently it was a favorite of my coworker's frat brothers in college. This truly boggles the mind.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066587/ (The translation is The Singing Killer).
A very obscure movie not available on anything - but I know copies of about any movie can be found anywhere. A blog about it.
(http://shawbros.typepad.com/shaw/2007/03/the_singing_kil.html)

MrCinatit
02-19-2008, 03:26 AM

IMDB seems to agree with you. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066587/) (The translation is The Singing Killer).
A very obscure movie not available on anything - but I know copies of about any movie can be found anywhere. A blog about it.
(http://shawbros.typepad.com/shaw/2007/03/the_singing_kil.html)

chicoruiz
02-19-2008, 09:41 AM
My guilty pleasure has to be "The Last Dragon" with Vanity (woo woo!) and Julius J. Carry as "Sho'Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem".

WebScorpion
02-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Almost all my favorites have been named, but I'll list them to give them a second (or third) vote:

Big Trouble in Little China
Real Genius
Army of Darkness
F/X
Repo Man
Midnight Run
Office Space
The Last Starfighter
The Big Lebowski

and a couple to add:

Pump Up The Volume
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/popcorn.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

TRF
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I've never understood why Midnight Run is considered either B or a cult film.

great flick.

WMR
02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Memento.

flyer85
02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Mystery Men
Gumball Rally(especially Raul Julia)

Caveat Emperor
02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Mystery Men

Mystery Men is a total gem. Completely stupid fun, and some fantastic lines:

"I shovel. I shovel very well."

"We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she just ordered the lobster."

"I'm just saying that when you split the checks, the steak eaters pick the pocket of the salad man."

"We are number one. All others are number two, or lower."

flyer85
02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Mystery Men is a total gem. Completely stupid funand Geoffrey Rush as Casanova Frankenstein was one for the ages.

RichRed
02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Short Circuit

Pinocchio in Outer Space

Fish That Saved Pittsburgh

Johnny Footstool
02-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Seconding "Roadhouse" (the perfect 80's movie -- mullets, breasts, karate, monster trucks, and The Swayze) ,"Starship Troopers" (a wonderful mix of satire and bug guts), "Near Dark" (James Cameron's warm-up for "Aliens", with better vampire mythology than Anne Rice), and "The Last Dragon" (when you got that glow...).

No mention of "Weird Science"? Anthony Michael Hall was an absolute genius back then. One of the most quotable movies ever.

vaticanplum
02-19-2008, 04:13 PM

My god, from the picture MrCinatit posted, I really think that's it. I don't know whether to bow down to your co-worker or be terrified.

The movie really is something else though.

Wow.

vaticanplum
02-19-2008, 04:35 PM
It should go without saying that that singing killer movie is at is best when the viewer has partaken in a few beverages. Not that it's different in that regard from many of these movies, I would assume.

minus5
02-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I like I'm Gonna Get You Sucker, Reanimator, Return of the Living Dead, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Trilogy Of Terror, Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, The Midnight Hour (it's a terrible ripoff of the Thriller video but I like it...Shari Belafonte :luvu:), of course, Army Of Darness.....Is The Princess Bride a cult movie? I like that one a lot foo.

Roy Tucker
02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Any movie with Rodan, Godzilla, King Ghidorah, or Mothra. I really like cheesy Japanese sci-fi films.

Or about 80 bazillion 50's and 60's sci-fi films like...

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3239/crawlingeye.jpg

or

http://www.thekingofhollywood.com/poster50/attack-of-the-50ft-woman.jpg

MrCinatit
02-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I like I'm Gonna Get You Sucker

"I could hear you screaming down the street."
"Screaming...I wasn't screaming. I was whistling."
"You mean you was whistling 'Hey Willie, get this (blank) off of me?"

Classic movie.

Rojo
02-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Withnail and I is my favorite movie ever (besides Almost Famous, decidedly not a cult movie). I think it has a pretty big cult surrounding it, especially in Great Britain. Harold and Maude is another one I love that I think is considered "cult".

Withnail and I is probably my favoritest movie, period.

As for guilty pleasures:

Trilogy of Terror,
Race with the Devil,
Invasion of the B-Girls
Swamp Thing
2000 Maniacs

And my all time favorite odd duck, Otto Preminger's Skidoo.

Donnie Darko, Two Smoking Barrells, Clerks and El Mariachi are on my overrated lists.

MrCinatit
02-19-2008, 06:25 PM
The Descent. It came out the same time as The Cave, but The Descent had a lot better acting and a couple of disturbing twists along the way.

Jack Burton
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
The Killer
Hard Boiled
A Better Tomorrow
Romeo is Bleeding
The Professional
The King of Comedy

savafan
02-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I think Highlander would be considered a cult film. I love that series of movies!

cincinnati chili
02-24-2008, 01:09 PM
The King of Comedy

I'd consider this an 'A' movie, belonging in a time capsule so that future generations might understand our fascination with celebrity.

GAC
02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/allposters/30/1800091730p.jpg

AmarilloRed
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Deep Rising. I am still waiting for a sequel to that film, given the cliffhanger at the end.

gm
02-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Here's my trip down memory lane, late 60's up 'til mid-80's. (Some of these may not have been considered "B" movies, back in the day...)

"Harold and Maude" was the first film that I heard referred to as a "cult" movie. Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon were magnificent. And the Cat Stevens soundtrack was classic.

Does anyone still remember "Billy Jack"? (theme song: "One Tin Soldier")

"Little Ross and Big Halsey" (motorcycle flick, another was "Electra-glide N' Blue")

A few French comedies "Tall blonde man with one red shoe" "Pardon mon affair" (the sequel was "We will all meet in paradise")

"Animal House" (gotta give my big sister's movie a shout out)

(unfortunately...) Peter Seller's last flick was "The Fiendish plot of Fu Man Chu"

"Kentucky Fried Movie" (Catholic high school girls in trouble, A fist full of yen, etc)

"Young Frankenstein" (anybody see "Old Dracula" with David Nevin?)

"Joe vs. the Volcano" (first time around for Hanks and Ryan)

"Airplane" ("I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley")

"10 minutes to midnight" (Charles Bronson) Saw this slasher flick while in Israel back in '83

"Tora tora tora" (WWII classic, battle for Midway)

Monte Python's "Search for the Holy Grail" (enough said)

Kitty, I remember "Murder by Death" (star-studded cast, Nancy Walker "killed good weekend!")

Wallace and Grommit "A grand day out" "Wrong trousers" (before VR replaced clay)

"It's a mad mad mad mad world" (Disney? high-speed cross-county treasure chase)

"Hot Rock" (Redford diamond caper, Murphy's law)

"Take the money and run" (early Woody Allen, more Murphy's law)

"Fun with Dick and Jane" (the original, with Segal and Fonda)

"War Games" (Broderick and Sheedy)

"Ladyhawke" (Broderick, Pfeiffer and Hauer...if you haven't seen it, rent it)

"Blade Runner" (Ford and Hauer)

"The Witness" (Ford, McGillis, Glover and Gudunov)

Can't really call "The Shawshank Redemption" a "B" movie, but perhaps a cult classic? (or has Turner spoiled it by replaying it so often? I'll put "Brother, where art thou?" in the same category)

Rojo
02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
"Little Ross and Big Halsey" (motorcycle flick, another was "Electra-glide N' Blue")

I thought I was the only person to see Electra Glide in Blue. It had problems but it stuck with me for some reason.

minus5
02-25-2008, 03:50 PM
I thought I was the only person to see Electra Glide in Blue. It had problems but it stuck with me for some reason.

That one, Bless The Beasts & The Children and Birdman Of Alcatraz seemed to be late show movie staples for a long time (along with a bunch of others of course).

Rojo
02-25-2008, 06:00 PM
That one, Bless The Beasts & The Children and Birdman Of Alcatraz seemed to be late show movie staples for a long time (along with a bunch of others of course).

Silent Running was another one that used to get a lot of late night play.

gm
02-26-2008, 01:34 AM
How could I forget "Arthur"? Dudley Moore one-liner fest.

"I never drink" said Mr. Johnson. "Drinking affects the decision-making."

"You may be right" Bach replied, "I can't decide..."

wally post
02-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Hi Guys -

Buckaroo Bonzai Across The Eighth Dimension

Volunteers

Major Payne

pedro
02-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Hi Guys -

I quoted that movie in my senior year book.

"no matter where you go. there you are."

That's how big a geek I am.

Jack Burton
02-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Miller's Crossing
Blood Simple
Hangin' with the Homeboys
Fist of the North Star (animated)
8 Seconds
To Live and Die in L.A.

marcshoe
02-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I'll go local here for one...Matewan.

RFS62
02-26-2008, 11:50 PM
I'll go local here for one...Matewan.

I went to high school there.

RFS62
02-26-2008, 11:51 PM
How could I forget "Arthur"? Dudley Moore one-liner fest.

"I never drink" said Mr. Johnson. "Drinking affects the decision-making."

"You may be right" Bach replied, "I can't decide..."

Yeah, that movie was incredible for great quotes.

"Forget about the moose!!!"

cincinnati chili
02-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Major Payne

Finally, a true true B movie. I never thought child abuse could be so funny.

WMR
02-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Finally, a true true B movie. I never thought child abuse could be so funny.

Major Payne's rendition of "The Little Engine That Could" is one of the funniest cinematic moments ever. :laugh:

Johnny Footstool
02-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Volunteers

I wanted to like Buckaroo Banzai, but I just couldn't. Way, way too slow for me.

Volunteers had some brilliant gags, though. I really liked early-period Tom Hanks, back before he became an "AC-TOR!"

RFS62
02-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Strange Brew

minus5
02-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Strange Brew

I'd kiss ya if I didn't have puke breath

The Baumer
02-29-2008, 10:56 PM
John Carpenter's They Live! starring Roddy Piper, aleins, some great one liners, and the most amazing fight scene in film history.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 11:28 PM
John Carpenter's They Live! starring Roddy Piper, aleins, some great one liners, and the most amazing fight scene in film history.

Which was reenacted on South Park between Timmy and Jimmy.

savafan
03-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I just watched a low budget direct to DVD horror film called "Whisper" starring Josh Holloway from Lost, and I was impressed at just how good of a movie it was. I don't know if anyone anywhere will ever watch this movie, but as far as horror films go, this was better than any I've seen at the theater in a long time. I'm not sorry I added it to my collection.

Rojo
03-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Another favorite of mine - Day of the Triffids.

pedro
03-01-2008, 05:51 PM
"Night of the Lemurs"

Not really one of my favs, but it's so stupid I had to mention it.

GAC
03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Food Of The Gods with Marjoe Gortner.

Hadn't seen it in years, but watched it again the other day. Why I have no idea. :lol:

redsmetz
03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I ought to put a shameless plug in for a movie my youngest brother co-wrote - filmed here in Cincinnati. It went directly to DVD following a couple of film festival entries - definitely B movie material - http://www.threebarbecues.com/main.html

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:yExVBMuCGhZN3M:http://filmthreat.com/shop/images/3bbqlg.gif

Ltlabner
03-03-2008, 08:05 AM
People.....

ROADHOUSE.

The discussion ends there. You are embrassing yourselves.

Johnny Footstool
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
People.....

ROADHOUSE.

The discussion ends there. You are embrassing yourselves.

Did you know that Jeff Healey, blind guitarist and musical star of Roadhouse, passed away yesterday due to cancer?

Ltlabner
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Did you know that Jeff Healey, blind guitarist and musical star of Roadhouse, passed away yesterday due to cancer?

I did not know that.

Wow...bummer.

Chip R
03-03-2008, 04:43 PM

I saw that too. :(

RichRed
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM

Only 41 and evidently fought cancer his entire life (literally since the age of 1). That's a tough hand to be dealt, yet by all accounts, he handled it all remarkably well.

Revering4Blue
03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Cornball, campy and fun.

savafan
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Cornball, campy and fun.

You need to check out the movie A*P*E*. This film was so bad that afterward, the lead actress changed her name to Joanna Kerns and took the lead female role in a TV show called Growing Pains. The zipper on the ape costume is clearly visible throughout the movie, as are the ape's tennis shoes. Also, the ape changes size randomly. Did I mention there is a long period of about 10-15 minutes that is nothing but children playing with puppets? Oh yeah, and there's a samurai. Possibly the worst movie ever, but it's fun to watch.

Revering4Blue
03-04-2008, 12:58 AM
You need to check out the movie A*P*E*. This film was so bad that afterward, the lead actress changed her name to Joanna Kerns and took the lead female role in a TV show called Growing Pains. The zipper on the ape costume is clearly visible throughout the movie, as are the ape's tennis shoes. Also, the ape changes size randomly. Did I mention there is a long period of about 10-15 minutes that is nothing but children playing with puppets? Oh yeah, and there's a samurai. Possibly the worst movie ever, but it's fun to watch.

Yeah, I've heard of that one, but I've yet to see it. It seems similar to Mighty Peking Man--Goliathon to American viewers. There's also a parody called Queen Kong.
http://www.giantmonstermovies.com/movies/giant-ape-m.html

I can't resist a Giant Monster Movie. Rubber-suited/ stop motion monsters, miniature sets and poor dubbing are all comfort food to me. The first Gamera series was whacked-out, as well.
http://www.giantmonstermovies.com/movies/gamera-m.html

edabbs44
03-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Food Of The Gods with Marjoe Gortner.

Hadn't seen it in years, but watched it again the other day. Why I have no idea. :lol:

This is on Encore right now.

The giant chickens kill me.

http://www.rochesterfantasyfans.org/reality-posters/the_food_of_the_gods.jpg

gm
03-09-2008, 12:21 AM
The Gods Must be Crazy

Revering4Blue
03-09-2008, 12:47 AM
The Gods Must be Crazy

Excellent choice. While genuinely entertaining, it's a good satire of the commercialization aspect of everyday life.

Here's another campy favorite of mine:

Hercules against the Moon Men. (No, I'm not making this up. This movie actually exists).

MrCinatit
03-09-2008, 04:16 AM
The Gods Must be Crazy

I've not seen that movie in ages. I love that movie.

Brazil. Terry Gilliam at his best (well, after 12 Monkeys).

CrackerJack
03-09-2008, 04:18 AM
These probably qualify for my all-time B movie list. I'm not a horror movie fan at all, just like that era of campy slasher flicks. Not sure all of these qualify as "B-movies" though, as some of them were run on cable often in the early 80's.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514EQFENQ1L._SS500_.jpg

"The Oracle"

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/images/n-s/oracle3.jpg

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/images/n-s/oracle.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DF1SGSCJL._SS500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ZGK34JRFL._SS500_.gif

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X%2Bdu5PL0L._SS500_.jpg

03-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Does The Old Dark House from the early 1930's qualify? I've never seen the one from the 1960's. I watch the old one every October late in the month. Lillian Bond was absolutely beautiful.

http://drx.typepad.com/psychotherapyblog/images/2007/08/18/lillian_bond_2.jpg

http://www.boomerangshop.com/dvdcover/imageweb18/TheOldDarkHouseCollector281_f.jpg

GAC
03-09-2008, 06:33 AM
I've not seen that movie in ages. I love that movie.

That was a good one.

And then there was Rae Dawn Chong in Quest For Fire

http://www.totalfilm.com/__data/assets/thumbnail/621658/varieties/3.jpg

TRF
03-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Battle Beyond the Stars.

John Boy Walton, Robert Vaughn, George Peppard and a giant moose head space ship.

It's filled with win.

BCubb2003
03-20-2008, 12:47 AM
"Artworks," starring Virginia Madsen as a police chief's daughter who steals paintings in Cincinnati. The Enquirer headline about the Reds needing pitching was the most realistic thing in the movie.

pedro
03-20-2008, 12:48 AM
rock and roll high school

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060907/13135__high_school_rock_l.jpg

WMR
03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
I Spit On Your Grave

moewan
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
found this in the archives i can't belive nobody mentioned the classic student bodies or cannonball run

Johnny Footstool
07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
rock and roll high school

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060907/13135__high_school_rock_l.jpg

Ahhh...P.J. Soles in her prime.

improbus
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM
My personal favorite is "Robot Jox"

Here's the tagline:
The ultimate killing machine. Part Man. Part Metal.

Good times.

Oxilon
07-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Has Blue Velvet been mentioned yet? Easily the best cult film of all time.

Will M
07-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Ahhh...P.J. Soles in her prime.

:thumbup:

My favorite B movies include:
Army of Darkness.
Any flick with Mothra.
All John Carpenter movies.
Bad Italian 1980s & 1990s horror flicks.
Mystics in Bali. A must see for fans of really weird movies.
Any and all movies with Paul Naschy ( Spanish horror ).

And of course... Mad Max 2 'The Road Warrior'

Will M
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
found this in the archives i can't belive nobody mentioned the classic student bodies or cannonball run

Student bodies just got a DVD release. Very fun horror spoof.

Will M
07-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Another favorite of mine - Day of the Triffids.

The movie from the 1960s or the TV mini series from the 1980s?
I like them both but the TV series is better.