PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial 2008 Severe Weather Thread

harangatang
02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Another crazy weather night with a tornado-warned supercell popping up between Columbus and Dayton this severe weather season is undoubtedly underway. No reports of damage or a touchdown but seeing that kind of storm could definitely produce both. I kind of get the feeling that this is going be a bad severe weather season with the La Nina taking place. The last time there was a moderate to strong La Nina in place was 1999 which was a tragic year all around the country including Cincinnati. In April 1999, an F4 tornado tore through Blue Ash and killed 4 people in the early morning hours.

OldRightHander
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
I drove through one nasty thunderstorm in Mississippi the other night, hail and everything. I heard the next morning that a tornado had touched down nearby.

nate
02-17-2008, 10:47 PM
We've had two tornado warnings with sirens just since the first of the year.

OldRightHander
02-17-2008, 11:07 PM
We've had two tornado warnings with sirens just since the first of the year.

I was coming through your neck of the woods during the last one. That was some nasty weather that night.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Had a tornado warning tonight, and it touched down about 5 miles away from me, in Mutual, and headed towards Woodstock, and I know 5 miles isn't really THAT close, but I have family in Mutual.

harangatang
02-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Had a tornado warning tonight, and it touched down about 5 miles away from me, in Mutual, and headed towards Woodstock, and I know 5 miles isn't really THAT close, but I have family in Mutual.I knew Mechanicsburg was familiar for some reason. You're the first source I've heard of any damage but I'm certainly not surprised. I'm sure if that's the case that the National Weather Service will be going out to survey that tomorrow. I hope everything is OK with your family and that was definitely where the storm was the strongest. I actually saved a bunch of RADAR images from the storm (with both Mutual and Mechanicsburg shown which is pretty weird). Another weather nerd and I just got done talking about all of this and we are in a state of shock after that storm. Definitely let me know how things turn out with everything and everyone.

harangatang
02-18-2008, 12:40 AM
We've had two tornado warnings with sirens just since the first of the year.It has been crazy down that way. I felt especially bad for the college kids down at Union University in Jackson, Tennessee where they had an EF-4 tornado tear through their campus.

BoydsOfSummer
02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I used to live in Jackson. My dad went to Union University. I still know a lot of folks there.

OldRightHander
02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
It has been crazy down that way. I felt especially bad for the college kids down at Union University in Jackson, Tennessee where they had an EF-4 tornado tear through their campus.

I drove through Jackson the next morning after it hit. You could see where the tornado crossed I-40. Several semis were flipped clear off the road and there were trees flattened everywhere. I didn't go near the campus, but what I could see from the highway was bad enough. I had originally planned on trying to make it to Memphis the night before but when the weather started getting bad I shut down in Nashville. When I got to Jackson, I was glad I had spent the night where I did.

SunDeck
02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I was coming through your neck of the woods during the last one. That was some nasty weather that night.

Sounds like ORH is a carrier, if you ask me. :D

Cyclone792
02-18-2008, 06:46 PM
All I know is I'm fed up with winter. The average high temperature for this week should be 44 degrees, but instead we're going to get highs in the 20s with sporadic snow showers the next few days. The only "warm" periods we've seen are accompanied by storms and/or high winds.

I hate the month of February with every ounce of my being. Spring cannot get here soon enough.

redhawkfish
02-18-2008, 07:08 PM
I was at Dale Hollow Lake fishing this weekend, Saturday's weather was great, but i got a knock on my motel door at 5:00 AM Sunday morning telling me one of my tie up ropes had broken loose from my bass boat. I went down and the front of my bass boat was bouncing up on the dock, and bent the heck out of my trolling motor. Temps were in the sixties, but wind gusts up to fifty mph. It made for tough fishing!

vaticanplum
02-18-2008, 07:16 PM
All I know is I'm fed up with winter. The average high temperature for this week should be 44 degrees, but instead we're going to get highs in the 20s with sporadic snow showers the next few days. The only "warm" periods we've seen are accompanied by storms and/or high winds.

See, I look at this and think 44 is way too high for this time of year. yesterday was insane. Way too warm.

I really feel like this winter has been very mild, I feel like we barely got any cold weather at all until January. I haven't even gone through all my winter coats yet. I do wish the sun would put in a cameo every now and again though.

*BaseClogger*
02-19-2008, 04:00 PM

I hate the month of February with every ounce of my being. Spring cannot get here soon enough.

Welcome to Michigan's weather November through March... I've already had six snow days this year. The best is when we get ice storms in April! :thumbup:

Tommyjohn25
02-19-2008, 04:24 PM

Just do what I just did 2 days ago. Move to North Carolina.

*BaseClogger*
02-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Just do what I just did 2 days ago. Move to North Carolina.

or go south for college ;)

Cyclone792
02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
See, I look at this and think 44 is way too high for this time of year. yesterday was insane. Way too warm.

I really feel like this winter has been very mild, I feel like we barely got any cold weather at all until January. I haven't even gone through all my winter coats yet. I do wish the sun would put in a cameo every now and again though.

No offense, VP, but I hope you don't get to wear all your winter coats. We better be getting plenty of days in the 50s with some sunshine by the time the first week of March rolls around. I don't mind a little bit of winter, but once the holidays are over with I'm pretty much ready for the cold weather to end. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the time when the really cold weather starts kicking in.

I'm too much of a summer outdoors person that the winter days just start becoming a drag. Baseball, softball, golf, kayaking, cornhole, grill outs, chilling at the pool, etc ... that's my style.

KronoRed
02-19-2008, 05:18 PM

I'm with VP 100%, I want highs in the teens :thumbup:

Razor Shines
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm with VP 100%, I want highs in the teens :thumbup:

As someone who works outside most of the time I have to quote Jackie Moon and say:
"Suck one!"
http://www.vidstar.myvideostore.com/images/news/semi_pro_jackie.jpg

But seriously I don't know how the weather's been in Ohio/Kentucky, but here in Indy we've had plenty of days in the teens or lower. Today being one.

BuckeyeRed27
02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
It's not supposed to crack 65 here this week and it was cloudy all day. I don't know if I can deal with this anymore.

OldRightHander
02-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I've been running a lot of freight in the south recently, going across I-20 quite a bit between Alabama and Texas. I was wearing shorts about all last week then I got out of Huntsville and ran up to Chicago. I then went from Chicago to Detroit and then back home, where I'm still sitting. I go through a lot of different weather zones and my body just stays completely confused, not to mention the colds I get when going from 80 to 15 in the course of one long run.

Ltlabner
02-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I really feel like this winter has been very mild, I feel like we barely got any cold weather at all until January.

That's kinda how it works in Cincy. November and December progessively colder and January and February being total freeze outs. Nothing real shocking about that. January and February have usually been the coldest months and most miserable weather.

By the way the high in Indy today was around 24F or something. Real "mild" stuff there.

vaticanplum
02-19-2008, 09:24 PM
No offense, VP, but I hope you don't get to wear all your winter coats. We better be getting plenty of days in the 50s with some sunshine by the time the first week of March rolls around. I don't mind a little bit of winter, but once the holidays are over with I'm pretty much ready for the cold weather to end. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the time when the really cold weather starts kicking in.

I'm too much of a summer outdoors person that the winter days just start becoming a drag. Baseball, softball, golf, kayaking, cornhole, grill outs, chilling at the pool, etc ... that's my style.

Sounds to me like some cranky little springbug isn't lucky enough to own a vintage purple swing coat with red satin lining.

Zen says: when you cannot change the weather, buy coats.

Razor Shines
02-19-2008, 10:06 PM
That's kinda how it works in Cincy. November and December progessively colder and January and February being total freeze outs. Nothing real shocking about that. January and February have usually been the coldest months and most miserable weather.

By the way the high in Indy today was around 24F or something. Real "mild" stuff there.

23 and windy tomorrow. I'll take some mild, please.

harangatang
02-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I drove through Jackson the next morning after it hit. You could see where the tornado crossed I-40. Several semis were flipped clear off the road and there were trees flattened everywhere. I didn't go near the campus, but what I could see from the highway was bad enough. I had originally planned on trying to make it to Memphis the night before but when the weather started getting bad I shut down in Nashville. When I got to Jackson, I was glad I had spent the night where I did.The crazy thing is that was the 3rd tornado that has hit Jackson in the last 10 years. Ironically, the last time we had a strong La Nina, Jackson also got hit hard by an F4 tornado in 1999. It is their severe weather season down there but it's horrible that there were so many intense tornadoes. I would hate to be a semi driver in bad weather because it doesn't take alot for the wind to get underneath of it and flip it. A couple buddies of mine were chasing what ended up being a severe weather wind event (not tornadoes) and saw a flipped semi. I'm sure it's a scary thing and that's definitely something I wouldn't want to be a part of.

SunDeck
02-21-2008, 12:51 PM
We're slated for snow and ice tonight and tomorrow.

For the record, I officially hate this woman now.
http://www.iupui.edu/~geni/2006bee/AngelaBuchman.jpg

She's the meteorologist for an Indy TV station. Her purpose in life as far as I can tell is to scare people about weather. Three weeks ago we were supposed to get something like the Blizzard of '78 according to her and her senseless lackeys. We ended up with a dusting of snow.

My kids woke up at 5am ready to sled. Needless to say there was crying.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I knew Mechanicsburg was familiar for some reason. You're the first source I've heard of any damage but I'm certainly not surprised. I'm sure if that's the case that the National Weather Service will be going out to survey that tomorrow. I hope everything is OK with your family and that was definitely where the storm was the strongest. I actually saved a bunch of RADAR images from the storm (with both Mutual and Mechanicsburg shown which is pretty weird). Another weather nerd and I just got done talking about all of this and we are in a state of shock after that storm. Definitely let me know how things turn out with everything and everyone.

Everyone ended up being ok. Thank God. But it give a lot of my friends a scare :thumbdown: One of my really good friends, that's a girl, was bawling about it, even after about 15 mins after the cell had left. We aren't used to bad weather like that around here I guess.

westofyou
02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
My kids woke up at 5am ready to sled. Needless to say there was crying.

That was right before you broke them the news about there being no place to actually sled in Indiana right?

harangatang
02-21-2008, 06:31 PM
We're slated for snow and ice tonight and tomorrow.

For the record, I officially hate this woman now.
http://www.iupui.edu/~geni/2006bee/AngelaBuchman.jpg

She's the meteorologist for an Indy TV station. Her purpose in life as far as I can tell is to scare people about weather. Three weeks ago we were supposed to get something like the Blizzard of '78 according to her and her senseless lackeys. We ended up with a dusting of snow.

My kids woke up at 5am ready to sled. Needless to say there was crying.Oh Angela Buchman from Channel 8...A buddy of mine is interning down there right now. He was actually saying the day after that storm the meteorologists down there were getting flooded with angry emails. The problem is we live in a day where everyone wants to be right ahead of everyone else. I can tell you winter weather is the absolute worst to predict. I do know that Steve Bray who also works Channel 8 expressed his concern about that storm saying you can always have changes that can affect storm totals dramatically. In addition the weather models that meteorologists use have been in some instances flat out wrong with handling winter weather this winter. I thought the funniest part of that whole ordeal was Channel 6 having a special newscast at 4 am for the snow and it turns out there was nothing. I don't know how that newscast went as I wasn't up, but I'm sure it wasn't good.

This goes for mainly severe weather season, but it can apply to winter as well. If you issue too many warnings people get hacked off because you're a sensationalist who loves to scare the crap out of people. On the other hand, if you don't issue enough warnings and someone gets hurt or killed then those same people think you should be fired. I just hope that people understand that meteorology is not perfect and meteorologists only do the best they can. But as science and technology improve there could be a day coming where forecasts improve even more. Prior to 1950 it was thought that tornadoes couldn't even be forecasted, period. Today we have RADARs that can detect the potential for most tornadoes (and the worst ones) and that has saved many lives. It's not perfect but it sure beats the snot of 60 years ago. Also we have complex weather models that are ran by supercomputers in Washington DC. That had greatly improved forecasts of all types of weather and alot of times meteorologists know when the environments are correct for severe weather, winter weather, etc. Again nothing is perfect but things have gotten ALOT better.

Screwball
02-21-2008, 06:48 PM
What we're in store for over the next several hours...

http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_ind_closeradar_small_usen.jpg

Tomorrow morning could be a nightmare...

redsfan1966
02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I have have been laughing out loud over the past few days listening to Willie Cunningham rail against the "weather terrorists"....I was rolling when he gave reports to the extent of "Jim from Wilmington has emailed that farmers are killing their livestock so people can cut out their entrails and use the carcasses for warmth during the storm".....

Matt700wlw
02-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Winter sucks...I'm ready for some warmer conditions.

At this point, I'll take consistant 40s and 50s

Allegro
02-21-2008, 07:29 PM
I have have been laughing out loud over the past few days listening to Willie Cunningham rail against the "weather terrorists"....I was rolling when he gave reports to the extent of "Jim from Wilmington has emailed that farmers are killing their livestock so people can cut out their entrails and use the carcasses for warmth during the storm".....

Absolutely hilarious. Another guy called in to report that he was walking across the frozen Ohio River and watching floating restaurants sink under the punishing ice. All the while, "Carmina Burana" (music from the Omen movies) was playing in the background.

Ltlabner
02-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Yea...all of this global warming is really wearing me out.

Just drove from Bloomington, IN to Cincy. Normally a 3 hour drive that ended up being 4.5. Fun stuff. Actually it wasn't all that bad until I got to Batesville, Indiana. From there in it got progressively worse. Once I got to Ronald Reagan and I75 it came to a standstill and the rest of the trip to the land of Milf was done at about 10mph.

dsmith421
02-21-2008, 08:35 PM

Heh. Oh, you're serious, aren't you.

Some idiot decided to avoid the gridlock on Columbia Parkway today by cutting through Eden Park. In a rear-wheel drive sports car. It took me nearly an hour to get from my building in Mt. Adams to Victory Parkway and I ended up turning around so I could at least see the XU game even if I couldn't attend.

HeatherC1212
02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Winter sucks...I'm ready for some warmer conditions.

At this point, I'll take consistant 40s and 50s

ITA. I've about had it with snow and ice. I'm so ready for spring. :thumbdown

SunDeck
02-21-2008, 09:26 PM
That was right before you broke them the news about there being no place to actually sled in Indiana right?

This is the upland region- glaciers didn't quite make it this far south. Plenty of hills here, unlike up north.

harangatang
02-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Just drove from Bloomington, IN to Cincy. Normally a 3 hour drive that ended up being 4.5. Fun stuff. Actually it wasn't all that bad until I got to Batesville, Indiana. From there in it got progressively worse. Once I got to Ronald Reagan and I75 it came to a standstill and the rest of the trip to the land of Milf was done at about 10mph.You're lucky, that drive across IN 46 can be a bear when there's bad weather. The drive between Nashville and Bloomington is especially hilly.

vaticanplum
02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Global warming doesn't just mean "warmer temperatures". It is, in fact, directly related to and largely responsible for an increase in precipitation.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/early-warning-signs-of-global-warming-downpours-heavy-snowfalls-and-flooding.html

Ltlabner
02-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Global warming doesn't just mean "warmer temperatures". It is, in fact, directly related to and largely responsible for an increase in precipitation.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/early-warning-signs-of-global-warming-downpours-heavy-snowfalls-and-flooding.html

Oh I know.

And weight gain, migrane headaches, bad chineese food and liver spots.

It's amazing what that Global Warming can do.

GoGoWhiteSox
02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Winter blows...give me a nice, hot, June day with some baseball on, and I'll be happy!

I'll be even happier when I don't have to get up 15 minutes earlier to warm up my car.

Matt700wlw
02-22-2008, 04:20 PM

The drought over the summer would disagree.

Ltlabner
02-22-2008, 04:29 PM
The drought over the summer would disagree.

No see, that was that sneaky Global Warming too.

This is all Peanut Gallery fare anyway. But after surviving the new ice age in the 70's, ozone in the 80's and Radon in the 90's I'm not so worried about this latest panic dejour.

Matt700wlw
02-22-2008, 06:10 PM
No see, that was that sneaky Global Warming too.

This is all Peanut Gallery fare anyway. But after surviving the new ice age in the 70's, ozone in the 80's and Radon in the 90's I'm not so worried about this latest panic dejour.

Me neither.

westofyou
02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Me neither.

Why should you?

Weather is a big bucket, you'll have kicked yours by then.

Matt700wlw
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Good point.

harangatang
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
So Indiana north of I-70 is poised for another snow storm in which the models are all over the place. The National Weather Service at Indianapolis finally issued a Winter Storm Watch for their counties north of I-70 about an hour ago. This system has been typical of pretty much every storm this winter in that the models are over place. The Canadian weather model started the trend of bringing this system farther south and then the rest of the models have now trended that way. It's just funny because if one of the models is right some parts of Indiana could see 8+ inches of snow with winds gusting to 30-40 miles per hour at times. If that's right I could see other end of the spectrum where people are angry because there wasn't enough warning. It's a Catch-22 if there ever was one.

SeeinRed
02-25-2008, 01:14 PM
As long as it stays north of here. That really isn't as mean as it sounded. I'm just tired of seeing all this white stuff. If I had my way, it would be sunny and 75 all over.

Cyclone792
03-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I hate blizzards, especially on weekends.

That is all. Please carry on.

Matt700wlw
03-08-2008, 02:52 PM
It may never stop snowing as long as we all shall live. It may snow forever.

Matt700wlw
03-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I think it stopped snowing.....I think this thing is over....now the cleanup begins.

KronoRed
03-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Awesome night of snow, I could build a snowman army :D

Matt700wlw
03-08-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/snow_simpsons.jpg

Spring~Fields
03-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Cabin fever, drifts up to, whatever, grrr, enough to stop us from driving or walking. Feel like a kid that has been grounded.

MrCinatit
03-08-2008, 04:43 PM
White Death, 1908 - this one's so bad, it knocked us back 100 years!

Seriously, I walked to work today and spent most of my time working in the outside garden department. I've seen worse - but I do have to wonder about the intelligence of parents who take their babies shopping at Home Depot during a Level 3 snow emergency so they can look at towel bars (no, seriously, it happened).

Dom Heffner
03-08-2008, 04:46 PM
One of my best friends in Ohio called me yesterday to tell me how hard the snow was coming down and without thinking I said, "It's 81 degrees here- I had to take off my suit jacket it was so hot."

There was a silence and then a very sincere "F@&* you."

Ltlabner
03-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I vaguely remember 1977 and 1978. This was the first "legitmate" snowfall I can remember sinec then.

December 2004 was close, but this was actually a real snow storm. I actually had to pay attention driving the breakfast at 6:00am this morning.

HeatherC1212
03-08-2008, 05:17 PM
This snow storm is very annoying to me because it's March and the weather is supposed to be warmer at this time of year. Although I am thankful that I don't have to drive in it this weekend. We have about a foot outside my house and a good eight or nine inches are all over my car. I hope we don't get a massive freeze tonight or the roads will be really slippery in the morning. :eek:

Matt700wlw
03-08-2008, 05:18 PM
This snow storm is very annoying to me because it's March and the weather is supposed to be warmer at this time of year. Although I am thankful that I don't have to drive in it this weekend. We have about a foot outside my house and a good eight or nine inches are all over my car. I hope we don't get a massive freeze tonight or the roads will be really slippery in the morning. :eek:

Seeing as it's supposed to be around 10 degrees tonight...there is a high probability of some freezing :)

Dom Heffner
03-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I vaguely remember 1977 and 1978. This was the first "legitmate" snowfall I can remember sinec then.

I remember one day after the big blizzard going outside and seeing a sheet of ice over all the snow. it was like our yard was a giant mirror. To get to the snow I had to push through the layer of ice.

Matt700wlw
03-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Who drove across the Ohio River in 1977? Anyone?

redsfan1966
03-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Actually, if we are to have a blizzard, I am glad it occured on a weekend. Just the signs of age, I guess.....from what I remember in 1978, this one doesnt seem as bad or dangerous...I spent a pleasant afternoon listening to the Brennaman boys bring me some spring training baseball...

Spring~Fields
03-08-2008, 09:16 PM
"It's 81 degrees here- I had to take off my suit jacket it was so hot."

There was a silence and then a very sincere "F@&* you."

Always one in every crowd, "81 degrees" indeed, may your regedit without you or your registries awareness. :mooner:

Anybody have a big snow blower or an angry wife :rant: that can remove this snow so I can get out of here. :all_cohol

oneupper
03-09-2008, 07:36 AM
I feel for you guys. Living in Latin America most of my life and now Florida...snow is not something I've had to deal with.

FWIW it's down in the 50s here right now.

Keep the spirts up, spring is just around the corner!

redsmetz
03-09-2008, 08:34 AM
So this blizzard turned out to be almost surreal for my wife and me. We had planned on driving our younger daughter back up to school in northern Indiana on Friday around noon, but with the report of snow coming, we decided to leave Thursday night. We drove part way, north of Indy ahead of the storm.

Friday morning we left with reports of snowing coming in to the southern Indianapolis area and drove in sunshine up to Valparaiso. Sunshine everywhere until Friday night when some light flurries came in off Lake Michigan.

Meanwhile, we're checking the web and reading about pandimonium in the streets, blizzads, seeing pictures of a sideways Metro bus on Boudinot Avenue, etc. etc. etc.

Saturday morning, with our daughter now in a van enroute to a service trip in New Orleans, we take our time leaving Valpo, enjoy breakfast a coffee shop and then I go over to the public library to check on road conditions, the continuing decline of civilization in our beloved hometown, and so on.

We see from the Indiana highway patrol that I-74 from the St. Paul exit to the Ohio state line are snow covered. We figure once we hit Indy we'll see signs of the snow and decided to book a room in Shelbyville right before the "snow covered" highways. We start our drive south in beautiful sunshine, an occasional light flurry and keep wondering where we'll see "the blizzard". Checked in with my dad, then my oldest daughter and yes, it was still snowing, coming down hard.

By about three we reach sunshiny Shelbyville, maybe two inches of snow on the ground but clear roads. We cancel our reservation and decide to go on. It seemed absurd not to. We reach the aforementioned "St. Paul exit" and we see a tiny bit of slush in the middle of the road and then gradually, the left lane becomes not cleared, but the right lane is fine.

Long story, not short, we made it in, only one incident of really being concerned - a spot on I-74 where off to the right is one of those DEEP valleys and both lanes turn mostly not cleared. Guard rail to the right except for about a fifty foot gap. I was going a little too fast when we hit the batch, thank goodness by ABS system was not on the fritz like it is sometimes in my Caravan and I got the car slowed and under control. But I remember seeing that guardrail gap and thinking "What the H***? Why would they leave that gap for me to plummet to my doom?".

Finished coming in between 30 and 55 MPH, but my wife and I were beginning to wonder whether the city had been hit by mass hypnosis and made to believe there was a blizzard. Now our car sits out on the street (sorry, no garage or driveway) looking positively naked. We'd missed the blizzard of '08 completely. Like I said, it was almost surreal.

wheels
03-09-2008, 12:04 PM
20 plus inches in Columbus.

What really stinks is that I was infected with the most vicious flu virus from tuesday until yesterday.

I haven't left the house except for Dog purposes since tuesday night. I am a high energy fellow, and I am going crazy. I think the roads will be clear enough for me to hit the gym today.

If I can get my car out.

On the bright side, my house is cleaner than it's ever been, and I've washed every article of clothing I own.

GoReds33
03-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I've got 9.5 inches, and I live on the east side of Cincinnati. It's not too bad though. I guess the last thing I needed was another reason to stay inside.

wheels
03-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I'd love it if we only had 9.5 inches.

KronoRed
03-09-2008, 02:35 PM
I'd love 20...

Hope you feel better wheels.

wheels
03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I'd love 20...

Hope you feel better wheels.

I got better just in time to do absolutely nothing.

I did get to the gym today, which makes me feel like less of a louse.

GAC
03-09-2008, 07:03 PM

I had the pleasure of being in St. Thomas of the Virgin Islands when the '77 blizzard hit. I was sitting on the white sands sippin' on a pina colada and decided to call home, not knowing they were going through a blizzard. I guess I shoulda been there (glad I wasn't). ;)

After all the bad forecasts and misses this year I wasn't sure whether to trust this forecast. Working 3rd shift, I got home Friday morning to rather calm weather. Once I checked the radar and got a more accurate forecast I told the wife that we'd better get to the grocery now and prepare. Every other mother's son was there too. By the time we got back home it was really coming down.

I called the school and asked them if they were going to let the kids out early. They said they were having a 1 PM dismissal. By that time the snow had been coming down up here pretty hard for almost 3 hours. One of my kids rides the bus, and the other drives, so I was concerned. I think the schools should have closed earlier.

My wife, who works 2nd shift, still had to go into work on Friday. Why I have no idea. They then turned around and sent them home 2 hours later. Another dumb move by people in authority.

It's now Sunday afternoon, the blizzard is over and the sun is shining. My driveway was completely drifted/blown over all the way up to my waist. My buddy came over with his truck and plowed me out so I can get to work tonight.

It will take till May for the snow piles to melt. ;)

Look at it as a last gasp folks. Spring is just around the corner.

sonny
03-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I took my son out to the biggest smow drift in our yard (about 2 feet or so) and just plooped him right down in it. It went right up to his armpits. I never saw a sweeter balance of awe, excitement and terror in a two year old boy. :)

HumnHilghtFreel
03-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I made this earlier since I was bored of being stuck in the house.

SunDeck
03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Who drove across the Ohio River in 1977? Anyone?

You couldn't drive across it because it was all chunky. We went down and thought about trying to walk across, but it looked way too dangerous. The stuff was groaning and cracking all over, like it was alive.

OldRightHander
03-09-2008, 11:56 PM
68 degrees today in Augusta. I went to a park, grilled out, and then took a nice walk, all in short sleeves.

:mooner:

KronoRed
03-10-2008, 12:45 AM
I made this earlier since I was bored of being stuck in the house.

You rock Sir :thumbup:

BoydsOfSummer
03-10-2008, 03:05 AM
My girlfriend is in Arizona. Her timing was perfect.

She's not going to a single ST game while she's there. Can you imagine? She's weird.

reds44
03-10-2008, 03:14 AM
It was 35 degrees here in Sycamore and I broke out the shorts.

I can't wait for spring to actually get here.

15fan
03-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Yesterday afternoon, my parents were digging out from over a foot of snow in Columbus.

Meanwhile, my neighbors & I were shooting hoops in my driveway in short sleeve shirts. Several of them were kind enough to comment on how quickly my lawn is greening up this year. Cut it for the first time on 3/1, and it's about due for another mowing.

Why again do people chose to live where it snows?

OldRightHander
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Yesterday afternoon, my parents were digging out from over a foot of snow in Columbus.

Meanwhile, my neighbors & I were shooting hoops in my driveway in short sleeve shirts. Several of them were kind enough to comment on how quickly my lawn is greening up this year. Cut it for the first time on 3/1, and it's about due for another mowing.

I'm sitting over in Augusta, not too far from you. I've been enjoying the weather the last couple days, but I'm kind of wanting to get home for a day or two, even if there is all the snow.

Sean_CaseyRules
03-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm kinda upset with the Blizzard.... the ONLY thing it did was get out early at 12:30 on friday... what a load of crap.... I was hoping for at least a 2-hr-delay for today, since the people in charge of OGT week are STUPID at my school, and even though every other school in the area does it, doesn't let folks who had previously passed all 5 parts come in late...

Matt700wlw
03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Feels nice outside now!!

BoydsOfSummer
03-10-2008, 05:04 PM

So we don't have to cut grass on March 1st?:p:

wheels
03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
I'll bet we're gonna see some significant flooding in the next few days.

The window wells around my basement windows were full of snow, so I had to dig it all out before it melted so that my basement wouldn't be flooded. I've never had to do that before.

Cyclone792
03-18-2008, 06:01 PM
So we could get up to five inches of rain between today and tomorrow here in Cincinnati. And to top it off, it still refuses to warm up as we'll be back down in the mid 40s during the weekend.

Either the temps will finally resort to being seasonable in the 1-2 weeks, or it's quite possible that Opening Day could stink.