PDA

View Full Version : Washington Reds bring in Bret Boone

jmble
02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Amazing...

VIERA, Fla. -- Bret Boone came out of retirement to sign a non-guaranteed, minor league contract with the Washington Nationals on Monday, joining his younger brother, infielder Aaron, and their father, assistant general manager Bob, with the club.

Boone, who turns 39 in April, hasn't played in the majors since 2005, when he spent time with Seattle and Minnesota. He went to spring training with the New York Mets the next year but called it quits before playing an exhibition game.

"There's something still in there," Boone said Monday. "I look at it as I've got nothing to lose."

A three-time All-Star and four-time Gold Glove winner at second base, he is a career .266 hitter with 252 homers and 1,021 RBIs over 14 seasons with five clubs. Only Jeff Kent and Hall of Fame member Ryne Sandberg have hit more major league homers as a second baseman.

During spring training with the Mariners in 2005, Boone addressed an allegation in former slugger Jose Canseco's book, "Juiced," that Boone acknowledged to Canseco in 2001 he used steroids.

"I don't know the person. He doesn't know me. I've never had a conversation with him. As far as I'm concerned, it's absolutely ridiculous," Boone said in 2005.

On Monday, flanked at a table by manager Manny Acta and general manager Jim Bowden during a news conference at the Nationals' spring training stadium, and with his father standing a few feet away, Boone spoke about dealing with other off-field problems.

"I've just changed my way of life a little bit. I've always been a guy that goes out and likes to have a good time -- maybe at times, too good of a time," he said. "And that kind of all catches up to you and you've got to look in the mirror and find out where are you going. Where are you going with your life? Took care of some personal business, and I feel that I can give this 100 percent."

He will begin the spring as part of the Nationals' accelerated development camp for minor leaguers -- the same spot where Dmitri Young came in last year before winding up as Washington's starting first baseman and earning a spot on the All-Star team.

"Whether it leads to coming back to the form he once had and he helps us, whether he comes back to the form and we trade him to someone else, or whether he doesn't make it back, we don't know. We'll find out in time," Bowden said. "But we're going to give him that opportunity."

The Nationals already have two veteran second basemen, Ronnie Belliard and Felipe Lopez, and Boone said he wouldn't be interested in trying another position or spending the year in the minors.

Aaron Boone signed as a free agent with the Nationals in December. The brothers played together with Cincinnati in 1997 and 1998, when Bowden was the Reds' GM and Bob Boone was in the team's front office.

Bret Boone worked with some young players in the Nationals' system late last year and caught the bug to give the comeback a try.

"It's like I'm a rookie all over again," he said, "only I'm not 18 years old."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Bip Roberts
02-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Hope he brought his roids

ChatterRed
02-18-2008, 02:47 PM
...now that he has weathered the 'roids scandal......

NEXT.

Degenerate39
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Can't say I'm surprised to see him back in baseball. I hope he makes the Nats team.

TStuck
02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Dang it....they are soooo close to being able to field an entire team of former Reds or Reds farmhands this spring!
From their 40man and non-roster invitees I came up with the following:
SP Rob Bell
RP Ryan Wagner
RP Ray King
RP Charlie Manning
C Chad Moeller
1B Dmitri Young
2B Bret Boone
SS Felipe Lopez
3B Aaron Boone
RF Austin Kearns
CF Wily Mo Pena
utility IF - William Bergolla

They just need 1 more outfielder! C'mon Jimbo, scour that scrap heap. There has to be some former Red out there you could grab.:rolleyes:

Jerry Narron
02-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Is Pokey Reese next?

bubbachunk
02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Is Pokey Reese next?

LOL

Maybe if they were going to switch to a womens softball league.

CRedsLarkin11
02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Hell, let's bring back the Big Red Machine Bowden. It really is unbelievable

durl
02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
OK...here's my theory. By bringing in old Reds players, Bowden is trying to show that COULD have built a winner in Cincinnati. He figures that if he can use all Cincinnati players, and wins with them, that the Reds were wrong to let him go.

smoke6
02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
They can have Stanton, Mercker, & Castro is they want then too.:D

Trace's Daddy
02-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Could he sign Sean Casey to play first and move Dmitri to LF?

GoReds33
02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Could he sign Sean Casey to play first and move Dmitri to LF?Sean signed with Boston, but Jimbo probably had some conversations with him.

TStuck
02-20-2008, 12:38 AM
You know - he could move Dmitri to LF, put Aaron Boone at 1B, move Lopez to 3B and play Bergolla at SS.
There you go....Your 2008 World Champion Washington Reds, er.. Nationals.:D

MasonBuzz3
02-20-2008, 01:45 AM
what about Dmitri at 3rd? I heard he played infield in high school

ChatterRed
02-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I hear Barry Larkin is contemplating a return to baseball with the Nats. ;)

MaineRed
02-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Didn't see the need for a new thread but check this out:

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/chatter/NATS_1505_02191346.jpg

SMcGavin
02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Dang it....they are soooo close to being able to field an entire team of former Reds or Reds farmhands this spring!
From their 40man and non-roster invitees I came up with the following:
SP Rob Bell
RP Ryan Wagner
RP Ray King
RP Charlie Manning
C Chad Moeller
1B Dmitri Young
2B Bret Boone
SS Felipe Lopez
3B Aaron Boone
RF Austin Kearns
CF Wily Mo Pena
utility IF - William Bergolla

They just need 1 more outfielder! C'mon Jimbo, scour that scrap heap. There has to be some former Red out there you could grab.:rolleyes:

Haha... who would have guessed the position Jimbo was last to fill is the outfield? Surely there is a five-tooler out there waiting to picked up. Reggie Taylor is probably looking for a job...

Revering4Blue
02-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Bret Boone revealed Monday than an alcohol problem contributed to him walking away from the game two years ago.

Boone had gotten to the point where he would drink 12-15 beers after a game. "I don't want to make a big deal about it, but I was at a point where sometimes it was more important to me to go to a hotel bar after a game," he said. "At the end, it takes away your passion and everything inside that makes you tick. I'm not proud of it. I'm proud I took care of the situation before it got to a point where it could have." Boone said he hasn't had a drink in seven months.

Source: Nationals.mlb.com

Bip Roberts
02-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Trade beers for shots of roids and I believe him

Stephenk29
02-26-2008, 02:45 AM
I'm pretty I believe him, was always none as a massive partier. Plus the roids contributed to it. He's one of the most obvious cases of roids as far as I'm concerned. Just look at his build with the Reds and then the Mariners.