PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

TeamSelig
02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I am pretty competitive every year in fantasy, especially baseball. This year we did a live draft, but I had to leave after my first two picks. Ended up with a pretty lame team. My friend thinks it is HORRIBLE, but I think I just need a little luck. Any advice or strategies I should go for?

Here is my team:

Catcher
- G. Soto: Hadn't heard of him, but played well in 50 ABs last season. Is he set to start for the Cubs over Blanco? Is he a big time prospect? I usually keep up on the prospects, but haven't heard of him.

1st Base
- Big Papi: Awesome.

Second Base
- H. Kendrick: Played OK last season, he is going to start this season, right? Potentially a good 2B fantasy player IMO

Shortstop
- H. Ramirez: Took him with my first round pick.

Third Base
- R. Zimmerman: Struggled early on last year, but ended up with a decent year. Hopefully he turns it on this season.

OF
- M. Ordonez: Pretty good hitter, need him to repeat last year.
- G. Sheffield: Hoping for a healthy season.
- J. Hermida: Nothing special.

Utility
- J. Thome: Good slugger.
- S. Victorino: Good for some SBs

Bench:
- Y. Escobar: Is this guy supposed to start this year? Played decent last season.
- O. Hudson: Not too bad for a 2B
- R. Sexson: Bad last season, hoping for another career year.
- S. Drew: What happened to him last year? Yuck.
- J. Bruce: Let's hope he makes the team and starts. Would help my team out alot.

Pitching

SP F. Carmona: Hopefully he pitches like he did last year.
SP C. Zambrano: I hate him, but a good pitcher.
SP F. Liriano: He is scheduled to begin the season on time isn't he? Could be an X factor for my team.
RP R. Soriano: I think he is supposed to close out the games in Atlanta, so he will be a good fantasy pitcher IMO
RP J. Chamberlain: Not sure how valuable he will be as a set up reliever.
P C. Marmol: Lets hope for a Wood downfall. Played great last season, but again another se up man.
P T. Hudson: Solid.
Bench: O. Hernandez: Any chance at being good this year?

I have a ton of "ifs" and even my high valued players will have to have career years for me to succeed.

What can I do?

Stephenk29
02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Soto is a huge Cubs prospect. I'm pretty sure the starting job is his. My cub friends think he's a stud and will have a solid year. Victorino should be in your OF before Hermida I think. I don't see any reason Marmol should be on your team. Set up men are about worthless in fantasy. You have some health "if" with Thome, Sheffield, and Lariano. If everyone stays healthy and puts up there expected top numbers you should compete. That's true for about any team though.

*BaseClogger*
02-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Escobar will be the Braves starting shortstop on opening day.

Offense looks like it has quite a bit of potential although your outfield seems a little weak.

Is there an innings pitched cap? If not, drop one of either Escobar, Hudson, or Drew (my vote Drew) and pick up another pitcher. Your short with your pitching.

I think I read Liriano will be back in May, but there haven't been too many definitive reports.

Chamberlain should start at some point unless Mariano Rivera gets hurt.

How many teams are in the league?

TeamSelig
02-19-2008, 03:50 AM
- dropped Drew for Jake Westbrook
- dropped Marmol for Wandy Rodriguez
- picked up Troy Glaus (Richie Sexson)

*BaseClogger*
02-19-2008, 10:32 AM
- dropped Drew for Jake Westbrook
- dropped Marmol for Wandy Rodriguez
- picked up Troy Glaus (Richie Sexson)

great moves. I like me some Wandy Rodriguez...

TeamSelig
02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Just traded Troy Glaus + Carlos Zambrano for JD Drew + John Lackey

Praying for a JD Drew come back.

Stephenk29
02-20-2008, 04:34 PM
well your getting the best player in the deal (Lackey). I put Glaus above Drew, but you also just got him via FA so its not like you really gave up much.

TeamSelig
02-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Same here, but I do have Zimmerman. Glaus is also coming back from a pretty serious surgery. Drew also had a bad last year and I'm hoping for a nice comeback. If Glaus ends up healthy and Drew plays like last year - I still get the improvement from Lackey to Zambrano.

NorrisHopper30
02-20-2008, 10:44 PM
That's not a bad team, IMO. I think Kendrick is going to have a huge year.

TeamSelig
02-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Really?

I've been really trying to focus on trading Hudson + Kendrick and going with Escobar from Atlanta.

He really didn't put up alot of stats last season (not full season however)... close to an 800 OPS (even though walks count for nothing in this league) but strikes out alot, doesn't steal bases, or hit HRs...

I might try to keep him for Escobar insurance, but if he has a bad year - I am blaming you. ;)

TeamSelig
02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Was offered:

- AJ Burnett
- Jose Guillen
- Brad Hawpe

for

- Magglio Ordonez
- Francisco Liriano

Should I counter from Burnett to Chris Young or no deal?

Anyone heard anything else on Liriano? Full season of Young would be a little more enticing, but I'm afraid Liriano will turn it on like he did in his last season. If he is out til late May and will need a month to get back to normal, should I do it? Hawpe isn't far from Ordonez and Guillen would give me more depth.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey TS, I hope Jay Bruce starts the season for the Reds. That would be a huge help for your troubled outfield. Some additional info on Geovanny Soto- last year he was the PCL MVP. The kid hit something like .353 to .363 (can't remember which). Cubs fans, as Stephenk29 said, are indeed hyped big time over Soto.

You made a great trade getting Lackey for your SP's. Continue to work the waiver wire and hopefully you can mine another gem or two from there. Getting TG and flipping him was sweet for the return you received!

It was a shame you couldn't have had the time to load up your draft queue before leaving.

All-in-all I think your friend's assessment of your team being horrible isn't true. Sure, you'll need some luck, but who doesn't in a fantasy draft? Good Luck the rest of the way Team Selig!

Best Wishes,
Vada Pinson Fan

Vada Pinson Fan
02-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Was offered:

- AJ Burnett
- Jose Guillen
- Brad Hawpe

for

- Magglio Ordonez
- Francisco Liriano

Anyone heard anything else on Liriano? Full season of Young would be a little more enticing, but I'm afraid Liriano will turn it on like he did in his last season. If he is out til late May and will need a month to get back to normal, should I do it? Hawpe isn't far from Ordonez and Guillen would give me more depth.

Don't do it. No deal all the way including your counter.

Buckeye33
02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Was offered:

- AJ Burnett
- Jose Guillen
- Brad Hawpe

for

- Magglio Ordonez
- Francisco Liriano

Even if you got Young instead of Burnett, you'd wouldn't be getting anything special. Young has just as good a chance to be injured as Liriano does, and I can't see Young duplicating his numbers from last year. Guillen is garbage, nothing more than waiver wire pick up material. Hawpe is good, but you have to platoon him when he plays against lefties.

Ordonez will most likely regress a little this year, but he is in the middle of a sick lineup and will easily knock in 110-120.

No way should you make this deal.

TeamSelig
02-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will really be needing another OF bat, and at this point it is probably a good idea to not count on Jay Bruce for anything.

TeamSelig
02-25-2008, 03:45 PM
I was offered Soria, Garko, and Youkilis for Big Papi.

Thought about countering for a Soria, Shields, Youkilis for Papi & Orlando Hernandez, what do you guys think?

Johnny Footstool
02-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Thought about countering for a Soria, Shields, Youkilis for Papi & Orlando Hernandez, what do you guys think?

NO.

Buckeye33
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Do you want to trade Ortiz? Both those offers are horrible. Soria plays for a bad KC team that won't win a lot, thus making saves hard for him to get. Garko is an average 1st basemen, and Youkilis will hit 20 HR max, and knock in 80.

While Ortiz went 35-117 last year with 111 walks. So you would be trading away 1 stud to get 2 guys who will only get about 60 more RBIs and maybe 5-10 more HRs and a closer on a bad team.

Even adding Shields doesn't make it better. Shields is a #3 pitcher at best on a fantasy team. He had a good year last year, but still only won 12 games and had an ERA near 4.

If I were to trade Ortiz, I'd expect something like Carlos Pena, Haren, and Billy Wagner if I were to trade 3 for 1.

Stephenk29
02-25-2008, 06:03 PM
The general idea is that if your not getting the best player in the deal I wouldn't even consider it.

TeamSelig
02-26-2008, 07:16 AM
lol okay

But Pena, Haren, and Wagner is a lot to ask for.

Buckeye33
02-26-2008, 12:31 PM
lol okay

But Pena, Haren, and Wagner is a lot to ask for.

If you think he is your best trading chip, you need to start out asking for a lot.

Pena, Haren, Wagner might be a slighty high asking price but not by much IMO.

Pena is not a sure thing, Haren is a solid #2, and Wagner is a good closer who is like 35+ years old.

Not far off to me.

TeamSelig
02-26-2008, 02:02 PM
What do you guys think of Joba Chamberlain? Is he supposed to start? I'm not sure I can afford keeping him around as a set up reliever.

Stephenk29
02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Starting the year in the pen I believe. I think they're going to ease him into the rotation.

GoReds33
02-26-2008, 09:18 PM
You're right Stephenk29, they have said he will start out in the bullpen. I expect if he shows that he has the same dominance, he'll be in the rotation in no time. I would hold onto him.

TeamSelig
02-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I was offered Dustin Pedroia for Jay Bruce.

Probably the wrong forum to ask if I should do this or not.

Stephenk29
02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
If its not a keeper league I would consider it. I would wait to see if Bruce makes the club and how his situation pans out though.

mlbfan30
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
On pure potential and future value, I'd take Bruce. Pedroia will help this year more and should be solid in the future. It depends on # of keepers also. But if you think you can win this year, go for it.

TeamSelig
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Do you do this? I'm not so sure. I think I will need more, but I'm not sure how much more or if I should just settle.

EDIT - he offered another so I am going to add to it

I was offered:

Michael Young
Dontrelle Willis
Aaron Hill

for

Yunel Escobar
Francisco Liriano
Orlando Hudson

1) Willis has had a bad spring, not very good last year either
2) Liriano may begin the season in the minors
3) Escobar should be good
4) Young is proven

I trade a question pitcher for a question pitcher, and a question hitter for a proven hitter. However, Liriano has Best-Pitcher-in-MLB potential where as Willis hasn't done much as of late.

Scoring again:

Head to head
R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SF, SB, K, E, AVG, CYC, SLAM, OFA, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, HR, BB, K, ERA, NH, PG, BSV