PDA

View Full Version : Who are your favorite stand up comedians?

Strikes Out Looking
02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Thought it would be interesting to see who tickles everyones funnybone. I'd say my current favorite, and has been for a few years, is Lewis Black. I got to see him here in D.C. when they taped Red, White and Screwed last year.

Razor Shines
02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Seinfeld obviously, but take him out.

Brian Regan, Daniel Tosh, Nick Swardson and Jim Gaffigan are near the top for me right now.

Lewis Black and George Carlin bore me to tears. Just my opinion though, a lot of people I know love them.

GoReds33
02-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm on the Dane Train. Dane Cook can be extremly funny. I didn't like his newest album though. It makes me think he may be running out of material.

Ron White is another one that I like. I don't know why though. I just always seem to laugh my head off when he's on tv.

Dom Heffner
02-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Mitch Hedberg and it isn't even close.

Early Eddie Murphy is awesome and Eddie Izzard can get me going as well.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm a Dave Attell fan.

Ltlabner
02-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Shelly Berman
Bob Newhart
Older Bill Cosby material
Steven Wright
Dennis Miller, especially The Off White Album
Some George Carlin stuff
Some Robin Williams stuff
Kathleen Madigan
Greg Fitsimmons (sp?)

Of that list, Newhart reigns supreme.

guttle11
02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Mike Birbiglia
Demetri Martin
Patton Oswalt

vaticanplum
02-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Brian Regan, Daniel Tosh, Nick Swardson and Jim Gaffigan are near the top for me right now.

I'm not big on stand-up comedy, but something about Jim Gaffigan's delivery makes me cry. Here he is talking about bacon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVKJpkq-wNo

I like Eddie Izzard too.

OldRightHander
02-19-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't pay attention to names much, but some that I hear on XM make me laugh and others I just don't get. My favorite would still have to be Cosby. Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned.

justincredible
02-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Mitch Hedberg and it isn't even close.

+1

Razor Shines
02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Shelly Berman
Bob Newhart
Older Bill Cosby material
Steven Wright
Dennis Miller, especially The Off White Album
Some George Carlin stuff
Some Robin Williams stuff
Kathleen Madigan
Greg Fitsimmons (sp?)

Of that list, Newhart reigns supreme.

Newhart, Wright and Miller would also be on my list.

sonny
02-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Mike Birbiglia, Bill Cosby

Buckeye33
02-19-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm a Jeff Dunham fan. He is easily the best ventriloquist out there and his characters are all one of a kind. He is so good at going back and forth and makes me crack up every time I see him.

Also enjoy Dave Attel.

dougdirt
02-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Jim Gaffifan
Eddie Murphy
Nick Swardson (also one of the better character actors around)

Hollcat
02-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Tim Wilson is my favorite. There has been some of his material that wasn't very good but his best stuff is my favorite of anyone. Also while I don't really like Jim Norton's stand up material he is absolutly awesome on Opey and Anthony where he is just part of the show and not there to do his material like you hear a lot of comedians do when they are on radio shows.

wheels
02-20-2008, 12:48 AM
In no particular order....

Lenny Bruce

Richard Prior

Jim Norton

Louis C.K.

Patrice O'neill

Bill Burr

Patton Oswalt

Greg Geraldo

David Cross

Sara Silverman

acredsfan
02-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Demetri Martin, Jeff Dunham, Brian Regan, Daniel Tosh, Jeremy Hotz, Nick Swardson... I know I am forgetting some.

Jeremy Hotz may get on some people's nerves, but he cracks me up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqRcPinZvOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePazKStdNPw&feature=related

KronoRed
02-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Brian and Dennis Regan, Jim Gaffigan

redsfanmia
02-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Nick Griffin is my current fave.
Sam Kinison is one of my all-time favorites.
Tim Wilson is funny in interviews but not a huge fan of his stand up.

bucksfan2
02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Jeff Dunham is the funniest guy I have seen in a long time. Im not a huge fan of standup but Dunham can bring me to tears.

RichRed
02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Brian Regan

Mitch Hedberg

Jim Gaffigan

Dave Chappelle

Daniel Tosh

I've seen Regan and Chappelle perform in person and they did not disappoint.

EDIT: Forgot to add Dave Attell to my list.

Tom Servo
02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Demetri Martin.

minus5
02-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Without a doubt, Don Rickles is my favorite. I do enjoy Jim Gaffigan though. But Rickles has been my favorite since I was a kid and I saw him a few years ago at The Taft in Cincinnati and was laughing till I cried the whole evening. Gotta love Mr. Warmth.:thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
02-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't understand the appeal of Demetri Martin. I just don't enjoy his no-edge approach.

My current favorites are Patton Oswalt, Dave Attell, David Cross, Nick Swardson, and Sara Silverman.

HotCorner
02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm a Jeff Dunham fan. He is easily the best ventriloquist out there and his characters are all one of a kind. He is so good at going back and forth and makes me crack up every time I see him.

I agree. I saw him at Newport on Levee four years ago and it was a blast. I hope he comes back again. I would love to see his new 'Achmed the Dead Terrorist' act live.

Degenerate39
02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Dave Chappelle
Jerry Seinfeld

dougdirt
02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Sara Silverman.
Really? Maybe its just her voice or something, but I would like her career much better if she just didn't talk.... well minus the Matt Damon skit that she did on Jimmy Kimmell's show, but other than that, I stand by my statement.

Oxilon
02-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm glad there are some Demetri Martin and Jim Gaffigan references in this thread. Easily two of the funniest comedians out there right now. Martin's standup on comedy central is downright entertaining.

Chip R
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
I like Eddie Izzard too.

You should watch "The Riches" when it comes back on next month.

SunDeck
02-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Pryor- the greatest stand up comedian I ever saw. The reason I think he was the greatest was the fact that he was constantly dealing with a social topic; he may have done as much to change the image of race in the US as many other social activists did.

Sam Kinison died way too early. I have never laughed harder than during his routine.

I haven't really followed stand up for a long time, obviously.

*BaseClogger*
02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
#1 Jim Gaffigan

I love jokes about food...

The Hot Pockets thing is hilarious :p:

MrCinatit
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Jerry Seinfeld has always made me laugh.
I love watching Robin Williams when he goes with absolutely no script.
Richard Pryor was remarkable.
Gary Shandling had me in tears quite a few times.
I always made a point to not miss a Steven Wright performance.
I have only seen a couple of Jim Gaffigan performances - in fact, I don't know the name enough, but when I saw the bacon bit, I remembered some of his other acts I have seen. Great stuff.

I am sure there are quite a few others, but I do not know their names enough.

redsfan1966
02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Ron White.....Jim Norton.....Gilbert Gottfried

Redsfaithful
02-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Bill Hicks and Mitch Hedberg.

Also like Sam Kinison, and recently Dave Chappelle, but nobody comes close to Hicks and Hedberg.

"Let me ask you something, how do you feel about frilly toothpicks?"

"I'm for them!"

"Well then, this club is formed."

jmjeffers
02-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I would have to say my favorite comedians are:

1. Rodney Carrington
2. Cowboy Bill Martin
3. Gary Owen
4. Michael Winslow (motor mouth jones from Police Academy)
5. Lewis Black

kbrake
02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Louis C.K.
Mike Birbiglia

GAC
02-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Pryor- the greatest stand up comedian I ever saw. The reason I think he was the greatest was the fact that he was constantly dealing with a social topic; he may have done as much to change the image of race in the US as many other social activists did.

My brothers and I memorized his "Live In Concert" (1979). Simply phenomenal!

I grew up listening to a "clean cut" George Carlin in the mid-60s when he was doing Hippy Dippy Weatherman and Indian Drill Sargent. Later on - Class Clown and Toledo Window Box were classics.

Love Bill Cosby too. Wonderfulness and I Started Out As A Child were among his early bests.

Then of course there was Cheech and Chong before they went into movies.

When I was in the military I liked listening to Hudson and Landry. Losing Their Heads was a good one.

Obscene Phone Bust..... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=676MEmAPAWA&feature=related

BoydsOfSummer
02-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Love Dave Attel and Greg Girardo. My buddy has an Attel cd that we listen to regularly. It's side-splitting. I thought his latest HBO special was a little flat though. The two Chappelle HBO shows were outstanding. I like Dane Cook, but he is suffering from overexposure now methinks.

Rojo
02-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Bill Hicks and Mitch Hedberg.

I heard a lot about Hicks before I saw one of his tapes and I was bit disappointed. I wanted to like him, just didn't.

I didn't want to like Gaffigan, otoh, and did.

TC81190
02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Gaffigan could say just about anything with his delivery and it'd be funny.

Dane Cook is funny when he's "on."

pahster
02-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Bob Saget, Jim Gaffigan, Bill Cosby, Dave Chapelle, Eddie Murphy, Dane Cook (when he's on), Jeff Dunham, and Costaki Economopoulos.

Razor Shines
02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Bob Saget, Jim Gaffigan, Bill Cosby, Dave Chapelle, Eddie Murphy, Dane Cook (when he's on), Jeff Dunham, and Costaki Economopoulos.

Bob Saget's show makes me laugh a lot, but I can't figure out if it's because he's funny or if it's just that the Full House guy is saying a bunch of dirty things. Who cares which one it is, I guess.

I saw Costaki at Crackers in Indianapolis 6 years ago, it was the first comedy show I'd ever been to. He was pretty good, I still have his CD somewhere.

IowaRed
02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Brian Regan is the funniest and cleanest out there

others-
Jimmy Pardo: has done a hilarious CD of only audience ad-lib but really does have an act and a great podcast
Geechy Guy: has more joke-jokes than anybody and most are funny and very clever (can also name any rollercoaster in the country)
Greg Hahn: I laughed harder in the first 15 minutes of his act than any I've ever seen

Razor Shines
02-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Brian Regan is the funniest and cleanest out there

others-
Jimmy Pardo: has done a hilarious CD of only audience ad-lib but really does have an act and a great podcast
Geechy Guy: has more joke-jokes than anybody and most are funny and very clever (can also name any rollercoaster in the country)
Greg Hahn: I laughed harder in the first 15 minutes of his act than any I've ever seen

Jimmy Pardo's bit about cutting his own hair and then getting it fixed always makes me laugh no matter how many times I hear it.

acredsfan
02-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Do Flight of the Conchords count? I guess they are a comedy music duo. I noticed an avatar of them. They did a "documentary" on their trip to Austin for the big music festival that was hilarious.

jmcclain19
02-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Jim Gaffigan - Hilarious Delivery. Very pale.

Stephen Lynch - burns my brain with how wrong his comedy is, but I'm still bursting at the seams laughing from it.

Glad to see Jeff Dunham get a couple of mentions, he just kills me.

My wife loved Mitch Hedberg, but it just didn't work for me.

I used to Love Robin Williams until I read how much of his act is stolen from others. Check out this article about how Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia and others have made a living doing the same thing - http://www.radarmagazine.com/from-the-magazine/2007/02/take_the_funny_and_run_1.php

And of course - I probably watch Chris Rock's HBO specials every time I see it on. Still funny every time.

Ravenlord
02-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Mitch Hedberg

Bill Cosby

Bob Newhart

Dennis Leary

Jimmy Pardo

Jim Gaffigan

Arj Barker

Laura Kightlinger

Alonzo Bowden

Mike Armstrong

Hewood Banks

Tim Wilson

Tom Wilson

Tim Bedore

Mike Birbiglia

Lord Carrett

The Swordsmen

Pat Dailey

Scott Dunn

Nick Griffin

Sean Morey

Kevin Pollak (marsupeals scare me)

Tammy Pescatelli

Emo Phillips

Henry Phillips

Auggie Smith

Daniel Tosh

Bob Zany

Sam Kinneson

Chris Rock

...i'm sure i missed a few...

redsfanmia
02-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Mitch Hedberg

Bill Cosby

Bob Newhart

Dennis Leary

Jimmy Pardo

Jim Gaffigan

Arj Barker

Laura Kightlinger

Alonzo Bowden

Mike Armstrong

Hewood Banks

Tim Wilson

Tom Wilson

Tim Bedore

Mike Birbiglia

Lord Carrett

The Swordsmen

Pat Dailey

Scott Dunn

Nick Griffin

Sean Morey

Kevin Pollak (marsupeals scare me)

Tammy Pescatelli

Emo Phillips

Henry Phillips

Auggie Smith

Daniel Tosh

Bob Zany

Sam Kinneson

Chris Rock

...i'm sure i missed a few...

You must listen to Bob and Tom.

GoReds33
02-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Did anybody watch the thing on jokes on the History Channel? I got bored with it after the first hour, but they had some really funny jokes, and a good list of comedians on it. The next time it's on, I advise you take a look.

reds2221
02-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Jerry Seinfield, (some) Patton Oswald, STEPHEN WRIGHT, and Demitri Martin

Mark T
02-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Two of the funniest acts I have ever seen in person, that left me sore from laughing, were Paula Poundstone and the Smothers Brothers.

TeamSelig
02-24-2008, 05:10 PM
How can you have 30 favorites? There really aren't that many great stand up comedians.

Daniel Tosh
Stephen Lynch
Mitch Hedberg
Brian Regan

jmcclain19
03-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Speaking of awful comedians

Check out this video of Dan Whitney - the comedian everyone now knows as Larry the Cable Guy - when he was trying to get his career going and didn't bother to use his phony accent or mock redneck-isms. He sucked back then as well but in a different, more pathetic way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VROn7ZvVoW8

If it's possible, I hate him even more now than I did before

TeamSelig
03-08-2008, 11:03 PM
So annoying.... COMPLETELY different from the cable guy though. Kinda creepy.

Jharb74
03-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Jim Norton, Mitch Hedberg, Louis CK, and Dave Attell (the funniest CD ever "Skanks for the memories").

I will say I'm glad there isn't a lot of talk on here about Dane Cook. That guy sells out huge arenas, and is not funny at all. There are some clips on YouTube that show him stealing other comedians material almost word for word. (I'm behind a firewall now, or I'd post a link!)

Dom Heffner
03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm going to interrupt with a Mitchism:

This is what my friend said to me; he said, "You know what I like? Mashed potatoes." It's like,"Dude, you have to give me time to guess. If you're gonna quiz me, you have to insert a pause."

OSUredsFAN
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
my top 5 not including Seinfeld (no order):

Bob Zany

Ron White

Demitri Martin

Gaffigan

Bob Sagat

Jharb74
03-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Speaking of awful comedians

Check out this video of Dan Whitney - the comedian everyone now knows as Larry the Cable Guy - when he was trying to get his career going and didn't bother to use his phony accent or mock redneck-isms. He sucked back then as well but in a different, more pathetic way.

If it's possible, I hate him even more now than I did before

If you ever listen to Ron & Fez on XM 202, (they are a comedy talk show), they talk about "Dan," from time to time. In the early 90's they were on the radio in Florida, where he's from. So they would have him on every once in awhile, and they have said that he was awful then, and he's grown into this farce of a character. And that the "ham and eggers," of America eat him up.

rotnoid
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I love me some Heywood Banks. Saw him at the Levee last year and got a cramp from laughing so hard. Beyond that Denis Leary, early Eddie Murphy (like Raw and Delirious), Brian Regan, and of course Jim Gaffigan. Bippity, boppity bacon!

savafan
03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm on the Dane Train. Dane Cook can be extremly funny. I didn't like his newest album though. It makes me think he may be running out of material.

He never had any of his own material.

I actually work with some of the best stand up comedians I know.

I also like Gaffigan and Regan. Was always a Gallagher fan as well.

TeamSelig
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Cook really isn't funny at all IMO. He seems like a really cool guy though, and has tons of charisma.

savafan
03-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Cook really isn't funny at all IMO. He seems like a really cool guy though, and has tons of charisma.

Yes, charisma is his real gift. He has amazing stage presence, and he's loud...which some people are entertained by, but if you want jokes you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Razor Shines
03-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Last month I signed up for the Zune Pass, because I have a Zune and I thought I'd give it a shot. Basically (for those who don't know) you pay 15 dollars a month and download what ever you want, but if you ever cancel the Zune Pass you lose everything you've downloaded. You do get to pick ten songs a month that you can keep permanently. I'm sure it's a rip off, but I'm giving it a shot.

Anyway, I've been downloading comedy CDs like crazy over the last three weeks and I've found some that I like and some that really suck.

I've listened to a couple of Patton Oswalt's shows and he can be really funny at times and very unfunny at other times. But his thing about KFC and their "Famous Bowls" is absolutely hilarious. "A failure pile in a sadness bowl."

The Sklar brothers are very funny, I'd love to go see them live.

Chris Titus is funnier than I thought he would be.

Man, do I wish Jimmy Pardo would come out with a new CD, I've listened to Pompous Clown probably 10 times. His Podcast is pretty good, but I want a new stand up CD.

I downloaded a several others that weren't really worth mentioning one way or the other, but one that really sucked was Kyle Cease. Oh my goodness he was boring.

I've pretty much gone through the comedian's I was interested in listed throughout this thread, any body got any new ones worth listening to?

cincyinco
03-25-2009, 06:05 AM
I don't know if he's listed in this thead or not, but

Louis C.K.

That is all.

Razor Shines
03-25-2009, 07:09 AM
I don't know if he's listed in this thead or not, but

Louis C.K.

That is all.

Yeah, I've listened to him. I don't know about him though it seems like he stole a bunch of jokes from Dane Cook. :D

Johnny Footstool
03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
The Onion's AV Club recently asked Patton Oswalt to review the Famous Bowl.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/av-club-taste-test-special-the-bowl-at-the-howling,2130/

The man is indeed a genius.