PDA

View Full Version : Wilson no longer in camp

Bip Roberts
02-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Outfielder/frist base Craig Wilson is no longer in camp. He was here yesterday for his physical, so that tells you something. The Reds haven't announced anything, but they likely will soon.

Wilson was expected to compete for a backup role as a right-handed bat off the bench.

Probably a failed physical

bubbachunk
02-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I am happy to see this I would rather have keppinger get the pt

Snowmanlikeme
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Im happy with this. If this opens up more time for Kepp--im pleased.

HalMorrisRules
02-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Paul Wilson was in camp??? Oh, its Craig! Come to think of it, I am shocked that Paul isnt trying another comeback.

TheBigLebowski
02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Probably not a bad thing. This may be the end of his career.

CySeymour
02-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Paul Wilson was in camp???

Darn it...that what I was gonna post! :)

GoReds33
02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I would have liked to see what he could do part time in GABP, but still I would rather give the ABs to Keppinger. Who knows, maybe Kepp will get some power this year. We can only hope.

jmac
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I dont know why everyone thinks he would automatically take Kepp's ab's.
VS a lefty if one of them starts at First in platoon situation, we would still need a rh bat as a pinch hitter.
Now if Kepp starts, I guess we are left with Castro .

Jerry Narron
02-21-2008, 05:04 PM
I am happy to see this I would rather have keppinger get the pt

This will probably open up a space for Juan Castro.

bubbachunk
02-21-2008, 05:49 PM
This will probably open up a space for Juan Castro.

Again would still rather see him because he can play D in late innings and his bat while not amazing is underrated.

GoReds33
02-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Again would still rather see him because he can play D in late innings and his bat while not amazing is underrated.His bat is terrible. Absolutly terrible. He got lucky and hit a homer or two when we needed em last year. He's historically a bad hitter.

On his defense, he's started losing his range. He doesn't have the arm he usto. I don't see him being better than Alex Gonzalez, and I don't see him being much better than Edwin. I know that people bash Edwin, but he makes some great plays. He also has a very strong arm, and good range. He's sneaky fast.

bubbachunk
02-21-2008, 07:04 PM
His bat is terrible. Absolutly terrible. He got lucky and hit a homer or two when we needed em last year. He's historically a bad hitter.

On his defense, he's started losing his range. He doesn't have the arm he usto. I don't see him being better than Alex Gonzalez, and I don't see him being much better than Edwin. I know that people bash Edwin, but he makes some great plays. He also has a very strong arm, and good range. He's sneaky fast.

He is not going to play that much neither would have Wilson and I would consider sub 200 avg as terrible I am pretty sure Castro can manage to make it above that

jmac
02-21-2008, 07:50 PM
He is not going to play that much neither would have Wilson and I would consider sub 200 avg as terrible I am pretty sure Castro can manage to make it above that

Here is the point.
Say the reds are facing tough lefty and start Kepp at first as additional rh bat.
Late in game, we need RH bat with some pop off bench as pinch hitter and it looks like it is Juan Castro grabbing a bat.
The reds need another RH bat off bench besides Kepp.
He may "not play that much": maybe not as a starter but the role of a right handed bat off bench plays an important part of team makeup as well.
Whether it is Wilson or not, the reds need someone in that role.

SMcGavin
02-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Again would still rather see him because he can play D in late innings and his bat while not amazing is underrated.

Juan Castro had a .447 OPS last season. I believe I've seen some data around here that is he historically bad, i.e. one of the worst hitters in ML history to receive the amount of career at bats that he's gotten.

So my question is how low does Castro's bat have to be rated for him to be "underrated"? I think that might be impossible to do, to perceive Castro's bat as worse than it actually is.

captainmorgan07
02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
not great loss here. Craigs shoulder was beat up all last season and i just don't think it's all the way healed. I'd much rather have keppinger get the atbats than Wilson anyway.

FreelFanatic
02-22-2008, 04:39 PM
From Senor Fay: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

--Outfielder/first baseman Craig Wilson was released. Wilson didn't take the field after his physical. He spent most of last year on the DL with shoulder problems.

ďThatís a big turning point in you life and your career," Baker said. "Iím hoping it works out. I could see it in his eyes."

KySteveH
02-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Paul Wilson was in camp??? Oh, its Craig! Come to think of it, I am shocked that Paul isnt trying another comeback.
I thought we had signed Dan as another reserve catcher.