PDA

View Full Version : Sampson OUT at IU

Matt700wlw
02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Breaking news on ESPN (Andy Katz reporting)

...settlement has been reached and he is done at IU

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3258506

Buckeye33
02-22-2008, 07:30 PM
He deserves to be let go. How in the world would you ever do the exact same thing that got you in trouble at another university at your new school? Stupid, plain and simple.

Supposedly the Indiana compliance office gave the OK when they saw the phone records, but still.

Now it will be interesting to see who ends up there as far as a full time coach. I can't see Knight going back there.

BRM
02-22-2008, 07:32 PM
So it all goes away tonight if he takes the buyout. Now I'm curious to see what happens with the guys who skipped practice today. Are they quitting or was today just a grandstanding moment in support of their coach?

Matt700wlw
02-22-2008, 07:33 PM
He deserves to be let go. How in the world would you ever do the exact same thing that got you in trouble at another university at your new school? Stupid, plain and simple.

Arrogant is more like it.

Matt700wlw
02-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Pat Forde's list on who should replace him is already out...

• Tony Bennett, Washington State. He's been a fabulous winner at a place where it's not very easy to win. The Cougars were 11-17 in the final season under Tony's dad, Dick, and the upgrade has been emphatic and immediate. Washington State went 26-8 last season and is now 19-5, having spent the entire season in the Top 25.

There's more to recommend Bennett: He's got Midwestern roots, having grown up playing his college ball in Wisconsin; his sister, Kathi, once coached the Indiana women's basketball team; and his preferred style of play fits the Big Ten. Not only that, his dad is tight with Knight. It would undoubtedly make Indiana fans feel better to have someone who comes with The General's stamp of approval.

And this is the year for Bennett to move. His top two scorers are seniors and he has five seniors on the roster.

• Sean Miller, Xavier. The school has been a proven springboard for coaches to prime-time leagues, from Pete Gillen to Skip Prosser to Thad Matta. Miller is the next in that long line of winners. His Musketeers have won 20 games for the third straight season, and Miller has never had a losing record (overall or in league play) in four years as a head coach.

This season has been Xavier's best since David West and Romain Sato were in uniform. The Musketeers look like a legit Sweet 16 team and a dark horse Final Four candidate. If that happens, Miller's name will be red hot on the job market.

• Brad Brownell, Wright State. Under-the-radar candidate is an Indiana native who grew up admiring Knight and played high school ball with Calbert Cheaney in Evansville. He'd understand IU better than anyone else on this list.

But what really recommends him for the job is his record.

Last season, his first at Wright State, the Raiders compiled their first 20-win season since 1992-93, winning the regular-season and conference tournament titles over the more highly touted Butler Bulldogs. This season, they're on the verge of doing it again, sitting at 18-6 and second to Butler in the Horizon League. In the four years prior to Brownell's arrival, Wright State was 50-61.

Prior to Wright State, Brownell compiled a 61-22 record in Colonial Athletic Association play while at North Carolina-Wilmington, twice winning the CAA Coach of the Year.

• Mark Few, Gonzaga. His credentials are established. He's won big and won consistently in Spokane, and he has recruited incredibly well at a West Coast Conference school.

The question is whether he'd leave Gonzaga for Indiana. Most folks believe Few had a chance to leave two years ago, when the Hoosiers hired Sampson, but backed away. Would he say no a second time? Might be worth it to IU to find out.

• Thad Matta, Ohio State. Would he leave one really good job for another in the same league? Maybe not. But the main reason nobody thought Matta would leave the Buckeyes two years ago was Greg Oden, and he's not around anymore.

Matta is a phenomenal recruiter with a Final Four on his résumé and strong ties in the state of Indiana. He also has a track record of moving around, albeit for jobs that made plenty of sense (Butler to Xavier to Ohio State in short order). Maybe working at a basketball-first school would make sense to a guy toiling in the shadow of king football in Columbus.

(Backup list: Lon Kruger, UNLV; Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt; Scott Drew, Baylor; Keno Davis, Drake; Chris Lowery, Southern Illinois.)

hebroncougar
02-22-2008, 07:43 PM
So a coach cheats, gets caught, for the second time, and gets $750,000 for it?

Matt700wlw
02-22-2008, 07:45 PM
So a coach cheats, gets caught, for the second time, and gets $750,000 for it?

I want his job.

WMR
02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Sampson should be banned from coaching D1 basketball for at least 3 seasons. He must be made an example of for his egregious flouting of the rules time and time again.

Reds4Life
02-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Sampson should be banned from coaching D1 basketball for at least 3 seasons. He must be made an example of for his egregious flouting of the rules time and time again.

I doubt any school is going to touch him with a 10 foot pole. The said part is IU had to pay to get rid of him, it's disgusting he gets to walk out of this with a quarter million.

WMR
02-22-2008, 07:54 PM
I doubt any school is going to touch him with a 10 foot pole. The said part is IU had to pay to get rid of him, it's disgusting he gets to walk out of this with a quarter million.

Yeah it is a damn shame. I think IU should have suspended him w/o pay and waited for the NCAA investigation to take its due course... they clearly just wanted to make it all go away, however. I guess three quarters of a million wasn't too much for them to stomach.

UKFlounder
02-22-2008, 08:01 PM

And the ID who hired him, while knowing of his past violations, deserves some punishment from the school as well. He hired a snake and got bit - big surprise there, huh?

Bip Roberts
02-22-2008, 08:07 PM
:bowrofl:@ IU

BRM
02-22-2008, 08:15 PM

He's already being rumored as a candidate for the South Carolina job. It's all about winning in the NCAA. It won't surprise me at all if he ends up coaching in 1A next season.

WMR
02-22-2008, 08:17 PM
He's already being rumored as a candidate for the South Carolina job. It's all about winning in the NCAA. It won't surprise me at all if he ends up coaching in 1A next season.

That's why I'm hopeful the NCAA will step up and ban him from coaching D1 ball for a number of years. I have absolutely zero faith in college universities hell-bent on winning from staying away from him for any length of time.

BRM
02-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I'll be completely shocked if the NCAA bans him in any way. Jay Bilas and Digger Phelps have already predicted Kelvin will be coaching in D1A next season.

WMR
02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
So we get him in the SEC now? Awesome.

BRM
02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I can easily see him coaching in a major conference next year.

NJReds
02-22-2008, 08:27 PM
As a Knicks fan, I hope that IU hires Isiah Thomas.

BRM
02-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm confident IU will screw up the hire, whoever it is. I'm hopeful they will get it right but I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Reds4Life
02-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I'll be completely shocked if the NCAA bans him in any way. Jay Bilas and Digger Phelps have already predicted Kelvin will be coaching in D1A next season.

I agree they won't ban him, but any AD that even interviews him should be fired on the spot.

KronoRed
02-22-2008, 08:49 PM
It might take a few years, but he'll be back..see other two time cheats like Rick Neuheisel

redsfanmia
02-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm confident IU will screw up the hire, whoever it is. I'm hopeful they will get it right but I certainly won't be holding my breath.

As long as Greenspan is in charge of the hire he will mess it up. It wouldnt surprise me if Dave Bliss and Norman Dale were on his short list.

WMR
02-22-2008, 09:00 PM
How can the AD survive this catastrophe?

WVRed
02-22-2008, 09:06 PM
There has been talk that half the team is threatening a boycott of tomorrow's game and did not practice today.

If I were Rick Greenspan, I would call each of the players in for a meeting and tell them that if they do not want to play tomorrow, they can pack their things and leave.

That being said, I look for some transfers. This is going to be ugly.

Hoosier Red
02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
As long as Greenspan is in charge of the hire he will mess it up. It wouldnt surprise me if Dave Bliss and Norman Dale were on his short list.

I'm curious why you're so against Greenspan.
The Hoeppner hire was spot on, the Sampson hire obviously blew up but not many people were complaining last spring.

Anything in particular that makes you think he'll screw this up?

WVRed
02-22-2008, 09:13 PM
The Hoeppner hire was spot on, the Sampson hire obviously blew up but not many people were complaining last spring.

Sampson had a shady track record coming in from Oklahoma. He chose to ignore it and paid the price.

Hoosier Red
02-22-2008, 09:15 PM
There has been talk that half the team is threatening a boycott of tomorrow's game and did not practice today.

If I were Rick Greenspan, I would call each of the players in for a meeting and tell them that if they do not want to play tomorrow, they can pack their things and leave.

That being said, I look for some transfers. This is going to be ugly.

I think everyone is overheating when responding to the kids "threats."
They're obviously upset, and it's easy if you look at it from their standpoint to see why. If my boss(with cause or not) was fired, and I came to a company specifically to work for that boss, I'd have some reservations about continuing to work.

That said, I imagine they'll play.

RedFanAlways1966
02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't agree with the players boycotting, but I feel for these young men. They are in a tough spot... put there by a man named Kelvin Sampson. I don't blame the AD. Sure this makes his choice look bad, but rest assured Kelvin was grilled before being hired and told that he will be canned if guilty again.

The NCAA needs to crack down on repeat offenders and make rules that call for suspensions:
> 1st violation: permanent probation (as long as you coach in the NCAA).
> 2nd violation: 2 year ban.
> 3rd violation: lifetime ban.

They suspend athletes for bad conduct, drug use, talking to agents, etc. Coaches should be held to a higher standard than the athletes. They are the leaders of their teams and examples to the young men/women that play for their university.

Hoosier Red
02-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Sampson had a shady track record coming in from Oklahoma. He chose to ignore it and paid the price.

He believed Sampson had learned from his "mistakes."

Lots of coaches are given second chances. Some prove to be worthwhile, some don't.

I believed then, and still believe now, the phone issue by itself is not that big of a deal. If Sampson would have toed the line, this program would be back to a top 10 program 2 years into the hire. That's pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, Sampson couldn't keep himself from dialing, and when his hand was caught in the cookie jar, he couldn't keep himself from lying to try and cover it up.

Blaming Rick Greenspan for Sampson cheating is like blaming Brian Sabean for Barry Bonds using steroids.

WMR
02-22-2008, 09:25 PM
When you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised if you get up with fleas.

BRM
02-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Greenspan claims that the players were at the walkthrough tonight...as far as he knows. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

Sampson getting a second chance shouldn't be a shock to people. Coaches, especially if they prove they can win, get second chances all the time. My guess is he will get a third chance. Probably as soon as next season.

Hoosier Red
02-22-2008, 09:37 PM
When you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised if you get up with fleas.

WMR, I'm curious, maybe it's just because I underestimated the impact of making too many phone calls on one's character, but you talk about Sampson as if he's the lowest of the low.

Is there something else he did that he deserves such low standing.
It's not that I don't think he should be fired, but this isn't exactly Dave Bliss trying to cover up a murder investigation.

Why do you think he's such a lowlife?

Chip R
02-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Dale is nothing without Chitwood. ;)

As for Sampson, I think it would be difficult for the NCAA to ban him from coaching. He could sue them and claim restraint of trade or something like that. It's a shame he's still getting $750K but it's better than paying him his whole contract or possibly losing a lawsuit. However, if I ran the NCAA, I would let a school know that if they chose to hire Sampson, that I would be paying very, very close attention to their sports program. Not only basketball but football, track, baseball, everything. I would make sure they are aware that they better be 100% clean or else. That may give a school second thoughts about hiring him.

BRM
02-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Hoosier Red, I'm pretty sure the answer you're going to get from most is that the lying seals the deal on his character. It's not just the phone calls. Just a guess.

Personally, I don't consider his "crimes" on the same level as actually paying recruits or buying them cars but some do and that's their call. Cheating is cheating in their eyes, regardless. I just have a hard time hating the man for making improper phone calls. I think letting him go is the right move but I don't see him as evil for this. Again, just my opinion.

Greenspan rolled the dice and gave him a second chance. He got burned. I just want to move on.

WMR
02-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Hoosier Red, I'm pretty sure the answer you're going to get from most is that the lying seals the deal on his character. It's not just the phone calls. Just a guess.

Personally, I don't consider his "crimes" on the same level as actually paying recruits or buying them cars but some do and that's their call. Cheating is cheating in their eyes, regardless. I just have a hard time hating the man for making improper phone calls. I think letting him go is the right move but I don't see him as evil for this. Again, just my opinion.

Greenspan rolled the dice and gave him a second chance. He got burned. I just want to move on.

Yes. And the megalomania that goes along with flouting the same rules that you were just busted for breaking and THEN lying about it?! It's JMO, but I consider the man a snake in the grass after taking into consideration the totality of his actions.

George Anderson
02-23-2008, 12:10 AM
The "ScumBAG" is packing his BAGS!!! :D

A couple things, Sampson may never coach at the D1 level anytime soon but dont be suprised if a NBA team hires him.

Also an anonymous donor is paying $500,000 of the $750,000 buyout Sampson is receiving.

Hoosier Red
02-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Yes. And the megalomania that goes along with flouting the same rules that you were just busted for breaking and THEN lying about it?! It's JMO, but I consider the man a snake in the grass after taking into consideration the totality of his actions.

No, I understand that now, but I'm curious how Greenspan was to know he was lying about being past these "mistakes."

As I said, some guys get a second chance and make it worthwhile.

Obviously the hire didn't work out, but I'm curious to know why the AD should be faulted for believing the hire could have worked out.

We talk alot about the process involved in decisions, not just the outcomes.
Obviously sometimes you follow the correct process and get a negative result.(I think that's what happened here.)

Or are you suggesting any coach who has had an NCAA infraction shouldn't get another job?

WVRed
02-23-2008, 07:22 AM
I think everyone is overheating when responding to the kids "threats."
They're obviously upset, and it's easy if you look at it from their standpoint to see why. If my boss(with cause or not) was fired, and I came to a company specifically to work for that boss, I'd have some reservations about continuing to work.

That said, I imagine they'll play.

I understand, but ultimately, when these kids signed the LOI's, they committed to play for Indiana, not Kelvin Sampson. Tell them that if they want to transfer after this year, they are free to leave, but until then, suit up under a new coach.

BRM
02-23-2008, 09:44 AM
The entire team was reportedly at the walkthrough last night, according to the ESPN ticker. Maybe Kelvin talked them into continuing on and not quitting.

bucksfan2
02-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I understand, but ultimately, when these kids signed the LOI's, they committed to play for Indiana, not Kelvin Sampson. Tell them that if they want to transfer after this year, they are free to leave, but until then, suit up under a new coach.

If I were the AD and the kids skipped the game I would remove their scholarship immediatly. There is something to be said about people standing up for a cause when something unjust happens. I find it somewhat ironic that DJ White is willing to stand up for Sampson when Sampson, by not following the rules, may have put DJ White in jepordy of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars. If White tears it up in the tournament he could increase his draft stock drastically, Sampson actions have put White at a serious disadvantage due to a coaching change as well as possible tournament ban.

DTCromer
02-23-2008, 11:20 AM
It might take a few years, but he'll be back..see other two time cheats like Rick Neuheisel

I'm utterly amazed at the overreaction of this situation. Are you seriously comparing Neuheisel to Sampson? Really? Do you realize how ignorant that is? Look at what Neuheisal did compared to Sampson.

Sampson, as Jay Bilas said, was just 1 of 114 other programs who were cited for illegal phone calls. Unfortunately, Sampson was arrogant about the phone call use and was already on probation.

Why did they wait until now? Why didn't they wait until the end of the season? Indiana University handled this as bad as University of Cincinnati. IU knew about this in October and did nothing until now?

Please, I'm not saying Sampson shouldn't be fired because he was already on probation and knew the rules. He SHOULD'VE been fired. But to compare him to Rick Neuheisal is absurd.

redsfanmia
02-23-2008, 01:50 PM

The Bill Lynch hire, the Kelvin Sampson hire, the way he handled the Sampson situation, the way he threw Adam Herbert under the bus for the the Sampson hire and his shear arrogance in not taking any advice from anyone (allegedly). Thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

George Anderson
02-23-2008, 04:49 PM
The Bill Lynch hire, the Kelvin Sampson hire, the way he handled the Sampson situation, the way he threw Adam Herbert under the bus for the the Sampson hire and his shear arrogance in not taking any advice from anyone (allegedly). Thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

Greenspan did not have a choice but to hire Sampson. Herbert refused Greenspans first pick and demanded he pick Sampson. Keep in mind also at least Greenspan is talking to the media, Herbert refuses to talk to the media so if Herbert was thrown under the bus by Greenspan I would think he would be more than willing to talk to the media and set the record straight.

gilpdawg
02-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Not a fan of the Bill Lynch hire? I thought he did a great job this year all things considered after what happened with Hep.

gilpdawg
02-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Greenspan did not have a choice but to hire Sampson. Herbert refused Greenspans first pick and demanded he pick Sampson. Keep in mind also at least Greenspan is talking to the media, Herbert refuses to talk to the media so if Herbert was thrown under the bus by Greenspan I would think he would be more than willing to talk to the media and set the record straight.
Who was Greenspan's first pick?

redsfanmia
02-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Who was Greenspan's first pick?

I have heard it was Kevin Stallings.

redsfanmia
02-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Not a fan of the Bill Lynch hire? I thought he did a great job this year all things considered after what happened with Hep.

I agree and Lynch is a nice guy but the momentum that was built last year will soon grind to a halt and IU will soon return to the basement of the Big Ten.

Playadlc
02-23-2008, 07:15 PM
I agree and Lynch is a nice guy but the momentum that was built last year will soon grind to a halt and IU will soon return to the basement of the Big Ten.

You don't know this for sure. How stupid would Indiana have looked if they fired Lynch after he took IU to their first bowl game in 14 years?

Indiana only had one move here and they made the right one.

redsfanmia
02-23-2008, 07:55 PM
You don't know this for sure. How stupid would Indiana have looked if they fired Lynch after he took IU to their first bowl game in 14 years?

Indiana only had one move here and they made the right one.

True, but we will see in a few years. I hope I am wrong and Lynch is a good choice, he by all accounts is a nice guy and he is my friends uncle my marriage so I wish him all the best.

Revering4Blue
02-23-2008, 09:16 PM
According to multiple sources close to the program, Greenspan wasn't the key figure in the hiring of Sampson in March 2006. He said on Friday night that he "takes responsibility for what happens in the athletic department," but former school president Adam Hebert was the one who basically made that call — along with a pair of trustees.

Greenspan's wish list two years ago included Gonzaga's Mark Few, Vanderbilt's Kevin Stallings and former West Virginia and current Michigan coach John Beilein. Few wasn't interested and Beilein's buyout at West Virginia was too hefty.

http://http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7831220

WMR
02-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Hold on, you're telling me that Michigan could afford Beilein's buy-out while Indiana couldn't?

guttle11
02-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Hold on, you're telling me that Michigan could afford Beilein's buy-out while Indiana couldn't?

Indiana could afford it. The president knew he could get a better coach, and he did. His flaw was ignoring the cheating aspect to win games. That's not Indiana basketball.

WMR
02-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Of course they could, I was pointing out the stupidity of that argument in the article.

guttle11
02-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Of course they could, I was pointing out the stupidity of that argument in the article.

I think it was a polite way of saying he didn't think that much of Beilein. Which explains why he was his third choice. That's still probably way too high.

Revering4Blue
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM

Michigan hired Beilein one year after Indiana hired Sampson. So the buy-out was not as substantial. NC State couldn't afford the buyout in 2006, either. That's why Sidney Lowe was hired.

Hoosier Red
02-24-2008, 12:06 AM
True, but we will see in a few years. I hope I am wrong and Lynch is a good choice, he by all accounts is a nice guy and he is my friends uncle my marriage so I wish him all the best.

One thing to keep in mind is that the football situation at IU is such an uphill climb, even if Bill Lynch was the "right" choice, IU may not end up winning.

You'll find few people who didn't think Terry Hoeppner was the correct hire, but for all the excitement he brought to the program, he was 9-14 in two years.

My main complaint has been the incompetence shown in handling the Sampson situation.
I didn't have a problem with the hire, but they should have had a better way of checking up on Sampson, Senderhoff and Meyer.

DTCromer
02-24-2008, 12:09 PM

I agree. Worst. Hire. Ever

Never, ever, ever make an emotional hire.

See University of Miami (Fl.) (Coker) and soon to be WVU in football.

Lynch was awful at BSU. Brady Hoke has finally cleaned up his mess for now.

Playadlc
02-24-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree. Worst. Hire. Ever

Never, ever, ever make an emotional hire.

See University of Miami (Fl.) (Coker) and soon to be WVU in football.

Lynch was awful at BSU. Brady Hoke has finally cleaned up his mess for now.

Lynch had a far worse situation than Hoke has now. Lynch was coaching at BSU with one arm tied behind his back. Some of the restrictions Lynch had at BSU were absurd. He had restrictions on how many out-of-state players he could recruit; extreme restrictions on salary dollars and recruiting dollars, and was generally given three or four losses a year to the Floridas, Clemsons and Auburns for big paydays, not to mention he was coaching at arguably the worst stadium in the country.

Judging Lynch while he was at Ball State really isn't fair, given the circumstances. And again, you don't fire the guy that took you to your first bowl game in 14 years.

dabvu2498
02-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I have heard it was Kevin Stallings.

I saw that the IU players are already campaigning to hire Stallings by writing "KS" on their sneakers Saturday. ;)

BRM
02-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I saw that the IU players are already campaigning to hire Stallings by writing "KS" on their sneakers Saturday. ;)

I just hope the guys wait to see who the next coach will be before making to decision on whether to transfer. I think one or two players are leaving regardless though. Just my opinion.

BRM
02-25-2008, 10:06 AM
From Gene Wojciechowski at ESPN:

But the NCAA will insist on penalties, not the usual Hoosiers basketball angst. Removing Sampson from the sidelines was an appropriate start, but only a start. The truth is, he was a goner -- it was only a matter of when he would leave and how much it would cost IU to make him leave.

Indiana shouldn't stop there. It should self-impose a postseason ban on this year's team. At the very least, no NCAA Tournament appearance and the money that comes with each game played during March Madness. That should get the attention of the NCAA Committee on Infractions, eh?

Of course, IU could take its chances. It could dispute the charges. It could argue that it cut away the Sampson cancer before it metastasized. It could appeal whatever penalties the NCAA eventually levies.

Or Indiana could do the pre-emptive thing. The smart thing. The right thing. It could admit it never should have hired Sampson, take its punishment and start being IU again.

WVRed
02-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I just hope the guys wait to see who the next coach will be before making to decision on whether to transfer. I think one or two players are leaving regardless though. Just my opinion.

How about Devin Ebanks? Do you think Sampson leaving would put him back on the open market?

Chip R
02-25-2008, 10:34 AM

I saw in the press conference that Greenspan said that a few of the new recruits have escape clauses in their LOIs if the coaching situation changed - which it has.

BRM
02-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Concerning Ebanks, this NY Daily News article is from 17 Feb.

Kelvin Sampson may or may not be Indiana's coach when the Hoosiers face Purdue on Tuesday. Now, Queens product Devin Ebanks, Sampson's top incoming recruit for next season, may want out of his commitment to the Hoosiers.

"I don't know yet," Ebanks told the Daily News Saturday. "Me and my mother haven't made any decisions yet. We're going to wait and see what happens."

The 6-8 Ebanks, one of the top high school players in the country, verbally committed to the Hoosiers last summer and signed his letter of intent in early November.

And more from the article...

If Sampson survives, Ebanks says he's a lock to stay as well. But it is becoming increasingly likely that Sampson will be fired. If Sampson goes, Ebanks will probably want to leave, too.

If Ebanks decides to leave Indiana, he would need to ask to school to release him from his letter of intent. He said he and his mother haven't explored that yet, because Sampson is still the Hoosiers' coach.

"We haven't tried at all," he said. "We're staying committed. I still hope he stays."

BRM
02-25-2008, 11:14 AM
The 2 recruits with "opt-out" clauses in their LOI's are Ebanks and Holloway. From the Indy Star...

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University basketball signees Devin Ebanks and Terrell Holloway have provisions in their letters of intent that could release them from their commitment because of coach Kelvin Sampson's resignation Friday.

IU athletic director Rick Greenspan did not identify them but said "one or two recruits" had letters with escape clauses related to NCAA Tournament bans or a change of coaches.

"That's a commitment obviously we'd honor," Greenspan said.

"The next challenge for this coaching staff will be to reach out to those young men and provide them some sense of comfort and normalcy in an environment that's very different than when they committed."

Ebanks, a 6-8 forward from New York, is rated among the top 10 players in the country, according to recruiting services.

Holloway, a 6-footer from Cincinnati Harmony Community School, is ranked among the top 20 point guards in the nation and top 150 players.

Ebanks' mother, Yvonne Jackson, told Sports Illustrated last week, when the university said it would determine Sampson's fate within a week, that she and her son were uncertain if they would maintain their commitment.

"Right now, we still have yet to make a decision," Jackson said. "Obviously, this is more serious than ever before, but we'll have to talk with the coaches and wait to see if Devin will reopen his recruitment."

Ebanks and Holloway could not be reached Friday night.

WMR
02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
We've got a scholly at Kentucky for him.

BRM
02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
We've got a scholly at Kentucky for him.

You can have DeAndre Thomas when he transfers...

WMR
02-25-2008, 03:25 PM
You can have DeAndre Thomas when he transfers...

The more I see of him the less I like him.

BRM
02-25-2008, 03:30 PM

I hear lots if IU fans saying the same thing.

BRM
02-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Here's more on next year's recruits from the Bloomington Herald-Times blog.

One of the most devastating implications to the end of the Kelvin Sampson era in Bloomington may still yet to be seen.

At this point, itís hard to tell. Thereís four members of Indianaís 2008 class who are now left with a decision of whether or not to come and play for a coach they didnít originally sign with. Devin Ebanks, Terrell Holloway, Matt Roth and Tom Pritchard all planned on coming to Indiana to play for Kelvin Sampson.

Now Sampsonís out, and Dan Dakich is in (for now at least). Athletic Director Rick Greenspan announced Friday that Indiana intends on honoring the clause in two of the letters of intent that allows those players to be released if Sampson was no longer the coach. Associate Athletic Director Grace Calhoun confirmed after the press conference that indeed Ebanks and Holloway are those two. Ebanks, a 5-star prospect according to Rivals.com, is the signature recruit of the class.

Calls to both Ebanks, his prep coach Jere Quinn and Holloway were unreturned Sunday evening, but all have talked with media outlets over the past few days about the tumultuous situation at Indiana.

Ebanksí mother, Yvonne Jackson, spoke with SI.comís Kevin Armstrong last week (before Sampsonís fate was determined) and said that they had yet to make a decision on the issue. Another story by the NY Daily News reads along the same line: Ebanks and his mother, while acknowledging the fact that they committed to a school not a coach, will now begin to consider their options. He is expected to re-open his commitment to Indiana, Rutgers and Miami (FL).

Meanwhile, Holloway spoke with John Felts of Inside Indiana and offered several of the same sentiments as his friend Ebanks. ďIím in a wait and see mindset right now,Ē said Holloway, who is currently playing with former IU recruit Bud Mackey at Harmony Community in Cincinnati. ďI havenít talked to Coach Dakich yet, but Iím sure I will. Coach (Jeff) Meyer called me and we talked about everything. Iím still signed with the Hoosiers, but I want to see how everything plays out before I make my final decision.Ē

I spoke with Matt Roth on Wednesday of last week, and he told me that he stood behind Kelvin Sampson and his commitment with Indiana. Not knowing what Sampsonís fate would be, the Washington, Ill. native said that if Sampson was no longer the coach at Indiana, heíd have to sit down with his parents and high school coach Kevin Brown and discuss his options. At the end of last summer, Roth chose Indiana over Bradley and St. Louis. Roth, like Pritchard, would have to be released out of his letter of intent by Indiana before signing with another school.

Repeated calls to Pritchard last week were not returned.

And thereís also 2009 commit Derek Elston, a rising talent from Tipton, IN who was named in the NCAA report after accepting a backpack from IU assistant Jeff Meyer this past summer. All of this leaves these 17-18-year old kids in an extremely difficult decision. Sure, a lot of people will argue that kids commit with a school and not a coach. That may be true to some degree. But these kids wanted to play for Sampson and thereís no arguing that. Ebanks, who was recruited by former IU assistant Rob Senderoff and still signed with Indiana despite Senderoffís resignation last October, told Armstrong he felt he related to Sampson because of the troubles both of them have been involved with. Ebanks, among other things, was kicked out of Bishop Louglin High in Brooklyn his junior year for a growing list of transgressions.

The most integral component to this dilemma wonít be in the mix most likely until late March, because thatís when itís probable Indiana will bring itís new head coach. Barring a phenomenal tournament run, it probably wonít be Dakich. Thereís a ton of names floating around out there, and itís really hard to pinpoint where Greenspan will go in his search.

But itís a certainty what the new head coachís first mission will be: re-recruit not only Indianaís current players, but also the 2008 signees. Ebanks will the top priority. Much like Kelvin Sampson two years ago, when he flew to D.J. Whiteís home in Alabama and met his family in an attempt to convince him to stay at Indiana, IUís new head man will have a hefty job in front of him.

If anything else, the next two to three months should be very interesting. I guess, at this point, we shouldnít expect anything less from this program.

Razor Shines
02-25-2008, 05:51 PM

With him there's always more to see.

WMR
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
With him there's always more to see.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Thank god my television is widescreen! :lol:

WMR
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Does it look to you guys like he has picked up weight as the season has progressed?

Razor Shines
02-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Does it look to you guys like he has picked up weight as the season has progressed?

It certainly does look that way, I wouldn't have thought that was possible during the season though.

Revering4Blue
02-25-2008, 06:00 PM

Jared from Subway...Paging Jared...

WMR
02-25-2008, 06:05 PM
It certainly does look that way, I wouldn't have thought that was possible during the season though.

EXACTLY.

I noticed it, but then thought to myself: "How in the hell could he be GAINING weight with how much he is surely running every day????"

Maybe he's a closet cookie binger??

dabvu2498
02-28-2008, 08:00 AM
A guy on 1530 with Cutler this morning (sorry... never caught his name) had a very interesting idea for the next head coach at IU: Mike Brey.

IU fans, please discuss.

bucksfan2
02-28-2008, 08:43 AM
A guy on 1530 with Cutler this morning (sorry... never caught his name) had a very interesting idea for the next head coach at IU: Mike Brey.

IU fans, please discuss.

I don't see that happening. I don't think a whole lot of coaches see Indiana as that much of a better coaching job than ND. Look at all the money ND has coming into the athletic department. With all that money you have the chance to build better facilities and attract better players. The days of college recruits choosing traditional powers is starting to come to an end. Your top college recruits seem to be me first. They want the best facilities, they want the most exposure, and they want to go pro. In the big east every one of their conference games is on one of the espn family of networks.

BRM
02-28-2008, 12:21 PM

IU fans, please discuss.

I don't see him leaving ND anytime soon.

dabvu2498
02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't see him leaving ND anytime soon.

Just out of curiousity, how would you feel if he was IU's choice?

BRM
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Just out of curiousity, how would you feel if he was IU's choice?

I'd be fine with it. There are others I'd rank ahead of him though. Like Sean Miller.

Revering4Blue
02-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Bennett should be the pick to coach Indiana

There are three groups of people addicted to compiling lists of candidates whenever a big-time college basketball coaching job opens:
1. Newspaper beat writers who frequently throw every conceivable name into stories about a school's search so they're covered no matter which coach eventually is hired.
2. Radio sports talk hosts who need to debate as many candidates as possible in order to fill air time.

3. Search committees, which must justify all the time they spend in meetings.

In most circumstances, any list that stretches beyond one name is a waste of time and resources -- presuming the university spends money on a search firm -- and a failure of intelligence. Indiana's plum job has been open less than a week, and already at least a dozen names have been mentioned in connection with it. But IU needs only to make one call: to Washington State coach Tony Bennett, who is ideally suited to restore the Hoosiers' greatness.

It's not important -- or fair, really -- to list all the reasons why particular coaches who've been suggested are not right for the job. Most are excellent coaches or their names would not be raised. I will say, though, that too frequently candidates are proposed simply because they attended that particular school -- which ranks just above eye color on the list of reasons why a candidate ought to be considered. Of the past 20 NCAA champions, only three were coached by alumni. Texas' Rick Barnes went to Lenoir-Rhyne. Georgetown's John Thompson went to Princeton. UCLA's Ben Howland went to UC Santa Barbara and Weber State. Think any of those programs made bad hires?

Bennett went to UW-Green Bay, where he was a terrific player whose skill led him to a short NBA career. Experience with the league is not a prerequisite to success as a major-college coach, but given the desire of most high-level prospects to play professionally, it does not hurt that Bennett can sell that he knows what it takes to get there.

He has a winning personality that will be equally effective charming Hoosiers fans, the state's large media contingent and, crucially, Indiana high school and AAU coaches. More importantly, he has proved himself as a scout, recruiter, program builder and strategist.

While an assistant coach to Bo Ryan at Wisconsin, Bennett spotted lightly recruited Alando Tucker and convinced him to join the Badgers. Five years later, Tucker was a first-team All-American and Big Ten player of the year. Bennett also was involved in helping to bring NBA star Devin Harris to the Badgers.

Given the chance to work with his father at Washington State, Bennett took a significant risk with his rapidly rising coaching career. WSU had been a hopeless program, but the Bennetts found gems, such as guards Derrick Low and Kyle Weaver, willing to take a chance on the rebuilding effort. By the time his father was ready to retire, the Cougars were in position for a two-year run in the top 25.

Tony Bennett's current team is mentally and physically tough, executes doggedly on offense and plays a brutally effective brand of defense. His players consistently display a high level of effort.

Bennett grew up in Wisconsin, not Indiana, but he knows the Midwest well enough -- and sells it well enough -- to have spotted Weaver in Beloit, Wis., and Tucker in Lockport, Ill. Indiana should be able to recruit elite players with the right coach, which means Bennett would not need to rely as frequently on his nose for undiscovered talent. But effective recruiting is not just about signing guys who are at the top of the Internet charts. It's about knowing which of those players are overrated and how any one of them will fit into a program, which Bennett has demonstrated.

When Ohio State was looking for a coach a little less than four years ago, it conducted a ridiculously theatrical search involving very capable coaches such as then-Penn coach Fran Dunphy and Vanderbilt's Kevin Stallings. But there never was any question Thad Matta was the ideal person for the job. The only mystery was whether OSU administrators would recognize this. The production they staged certainly gave the talk hosts and beat writers something to occupy them, but it was a needless distraction.

Ultimately, it was no harm, no foul. The Buckeyes hired the right guy. Indiana can tap-dance all it wants until its team ends the 2007-08 season (and WSU finishes up, as well). When all that is done, though, if Bennett is not wearing his open collars on the IU sideline next year then the Hoosiers will have committed another costly turnover.

http://http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=361196

BRM
02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I'd like Tony Bennett very much.

Here's a decent read on the search.

COMMENTARY: Who will coach IU next year? Breaking down the candidates

By Matt Dollinger, Indiana Daily Student

(UWIRE) BLOOMINGTON, Ind.óWith apologies to Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan and President Michael McRobbie, the real leader of IU is its menís basketball coach. To this day, you canít wear Hoosier paraphernalia outside Indiana without someone bringing up Bobby Knight, and he hasnít coached at IU in eight years.

IU wonít name a new full-time head coach until the summer, but that doesnít mean we canít start speculating who will lead Hoosier basketball into the future. Here are the names of five top candidates to fill Kelvin Sampsonís shoes.

Dan Dakich, IU - "The Replacement"

Greenspan said Friday night that Dakich wouldnít be auditioning for IUís permanent head coaching position, but it sure would seem so. Program turmoil aside, Dakich has the most talented Hoosier roster in years at his disposal, and if he can keep some of IUís 2008 recruits from bolting, it will be his most impressive defensive performance since he locked down Michael Jordan in the Ď84 tournament.

Remember: The last guy Greenspan named interim coach (Bill Lynch) experienced mild success and was rewarded at the end of the season with a multi-year contract and control of the program. Donít be surprised if history repeats itself.

Tony Bennett, Washington State - "The Up-and-Comer"

A lot of interesting parallels make Bennett a serious candidate for the IU position. His sister, Kathi, previously coached the Hoosier womenís basketball team before resigning in 2005. Heís originally from the Midwest and currently coaches at the same university Sampson once led.

But his worthiness goes beyond networking. In his first year as Washington Stateís head coach, the Cougars tied the school record with 26 wins and went to the NCAA tournament for just the fifth time in school history. This season, Washington State has been a mainstay of the Top 25 and is poised for another tourney run. The 38-year-old "playerís coach" can recruit, too. As an assistant at Wisconsin, Bennett helped the Badgers land Devin Harris, Alando Tucker and Brian Butch.

Donít be surprised if Bennett leaves his heart in Washington State if Greenspan comes calling.

Bruce Pearl, Tennessee - "The Big Shot"

Why would the head coach of the No. 1 team in the nation leave the program he built for a university with crimson all over its hands from a recruiting scandal? Because IU is still a place of worship when it comes to basketball, and "Pearl at IU" would be along the same lines as "Pitino at Kentucky." Pearl called IU a "dream job" in an ESPN interview, and he most likely wouldnít mind leaving a school where he is the third most popular coach (Pat Summitt and Phillip Fullmer beat him out). If the Hoosiers can continue to have anonymous donors pad their pockets, then maybe Pearl will consider making Bloomington his next oyster.

Sean Miller, Xavier - "The Dark Horse"

No one had heard of Thad Matta or Skip Prosser before they left Xavier for cushier coaching positions, but consider this: Miller has carried Xavier into the top 10 this season and is coming off two straight 20-win seasons. He previously was an assistant on Wisconsinís sidelines and would most likely be able to recruit well in the Midwest after spending the past few years in the region. And donít think Greenspan isnít familiar with Millerís work: The then-No. 8 Hoosiers fell to then unranked Xavier team 80-65 on Nov. 24. Hey, if you canít beat Ďem, hire Ďem.

Steve Alford, New Mexico - "The Favorite Son"

The sentimental favorite, Alford led the Hoosiers to a championship as a player, but he isnít likely to be leading IU to a title as "Coach" any time soon. After eight mediocre seasons at Iowa, Alford is now the head basketball coach at New Mexico. His ties to Bob Knight make him a favorite of fans who prefer to sit down at Assembly Hall, but how is he perceived in the athletics department? There is no doubt Alford could recruit in Indiana, but could he bring a sixth banner to Bloomington? Unlikely.

Other names to consider are Brad Brownell of Wright State, Thad Matta of Ohio State, Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois, Kevin Stallings of Vanderbilt and Tom Crean of Marquette.

Names to ignore are Bob Knight, Scott Skiles, Randy Wittman, Isiah Thomas, Matt Painter and Dane Fife.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=uwire-commentarywhowillcoachiune&prov=uwire&type=lgns)

dabvu2498
02-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Getting Pearl or Bennett would be a serious coup.

I'd rather have Pearl if I were an IU fan. That style of play is funnnnnn.

BRM
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM

I'd rather have Pearl if I were an IU fan. That style of play is funnnnnn.

I agree. Pearl is pretty darn entertaining himself. His antics on the sidelines are fun to watch. :)

Boston Red
02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Hopefully Miller is getting comfortable on Victory Parkway.

dabvu2498
02-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I agree. Pearl is pretty darn entertaining himself. His antics on the sidelines are fun to watch. :)

If he wore black and gold, I'd love him... as it is, I have to hate him.

BRM
02-28-2008, 12:55 PM

I'll be absolutely thrilled if Indiana can land Bennett, Miller, or Pearl. I'll probably throw a kegger at the ranch if it happens. I'd even invite WilyMo. ;)

dabvu2498
02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I'll be absolutely thrilled if Indiana can land Bennett, Miller, or Pearl. I'll probably throw a kegger at the ranch if it happens. I'd even invite WilyMo. ;)

How long would the mourning period be if they hired Isaiah?

BRM
02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
How long would the mourning period be if they hired Isaiah?

I'll fly to Bloomington and throw rocks at Greenspan's car if he hires Isaiah Thomas.

Razor Shines
02-28-2008, 11:48 PM

I agree on Pearl, but I'm curious as to why you think it'd be tough to lure Bennett away from Wash. St. ?

rdiersin
02-29-2008, 05:52 AM

Pearl is nice, but, myself, I'm just happy enough with Matt Painter. ;)

Pearl is an interesting one in that he knows Indiana basketball. He was coach at the University of Southern Indiana for awhile. And as I have learned living in Evansville, (where USI is located) it very much leans toward IU. Makes it difficult being a Purdue fan of course.

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I agree on Pearl, but I'm curious as to why you think it'd be tough to lure Bennett away from Wash. St. ?

Well... to be honest, I think it's going to be tough for them to get anyone of an even moderately high profile. Possible sanctions? Transfers from current team? Loss of 08 recruits? A year and a half behind on recruiting for 09?

I don't think people are going to be falling all over themselves to take that gig like they would have in the past.

Not that IU can't be great again, but I see a UC-like rebuilding process in Bloomington. Maybe worse.

BRM
02-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Well... to be honest, I think it's going to be tough for them to get anyone of an even moderately high profile. Possible sanctions? Transfers from current team? Loss of 08 recruits? A year and a half behind on recruiting for 09?

I don't think people are going to be falling all over themselves to take that gig like they would have in the past.

Not that IU can't be great again, but I see a UC-like rebuilding process in Bloomington. Maybe worse.

This is my concern as well. If Dakich can convince the 08 recruits to stick with their commitments, that will help quite a bit. He has work to do when it comes to keeping guys like Bassett and Crawford around as well. The biggest road block is likely to be the threat of sanctions though.

Hoosier Red
02-29-2008, 01:13 PM

There's almost no situation where a coach wouldn't have to convince players to stay. The sanctions are one thing and it would be nice if IU can get the NCAA to speed up the process so it can be finished in April as opposed to June. (There was an article which mentioned IU can ask, but the NCAA does not have to expedite the process. Still it would be nice to see if it can happen.)

Boston Red
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I think the NCAA taking its sweet time to bring down the ax is essentially an informal part of the punishment. The longer they drag it out, the more the school is punished. I cannot see the NCAA doing them any favors in that regard.

BRM
03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
This is from Bob Kravitz's column this morning. I think he's dreaming if he thinks Izzo would leave MSU for IU.

(And while we're talking about the IU coaching situation, let me again mention Michigan State coach Tom Izzo. He is perfect for the job. If the IU administration doesn't at least make the phone call, it will be the height of negligence and stupidity.)

BRM
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
From yesterday's Courier Journal.

There are plenty of questions surrounding the Indiana University men's basketball program, including who will be the coach next season.

But perhaps most important since Kelvin Sampson resigned nine days ago: What will happen to the four Indiana signees?

Devin Ebanks, Terrell Holloway, Matt Roth and Tom Pritchard signed with the Hoosiers in November, but now their status is up in the air. The players would have to get a release from IU to go elsewhere.

The 6-foot-8 Ebanks is one of the top 20 players in the Class of 2008 and was visited by IU interim coach Dan Dakich this week during a game for his St. Thomas More Prep School in Oakdale, Conn.

"Right now Devin is still continuing with his decision to go to Indiana," St. Thomas More coach Jere Quinn told HoosierNation.com. "We're going to finish the season, and then we're going to sit around with his family and assess the situation."

The other recruits have also said they will wait before making further decisions.

Razor Shines
03-03-2008, 12:59 PM
If IU can keep just two of those four I think it would be a huge victory for the program.

BRM
03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
If IU can keep just two of those four I think it would be a huge victory for the program.

I agree. Keeping Bassett and Crawford would be nice but I expect at least one of those two to leave.

redsfanmia
03-03-2008, 02:26 PM
This is from Bob Kravitz's column this morning. I think he's dreaming if he thinks Izzo would leave MSU for IU.

Kravitz has no clue, he was mentioning Izzo on his hack radio show was well.

BRM
03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
More on the Hoosier's search for a new coach. From today's Indy Star.

Former Indiana University quarterback and trustee Harry Gonso will lead a 10-person team charged with conducting a nationwide search for a new men's basketball coach.

Assistant Dan Dakich has been the interim coach of the Hoosier basketball team after Kelvin Sampson resigned last month in the wake of allegations of major NCAA rules violations.

Other members of the search committee include athletic director Rick Greenspan, IU vice president Bill Stephan, former IU soccer coach Jerry Yeagley, former IU basketball player Wayne Radford and five others.

Highlifeman21
03-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Is Steve Alford still coaching Iowa?

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Is Steve Alford still coaching Iowa?

New Mexico

BRM
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I seriously doubt Alford is a candidate anyway.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I seriously doubt Alford is a candidate anyway.

Ditto. 5 I'd go after (that are somewhat, maybe, realistic):

Pearl (UcheaT)
Bennett (Wazzu)
Stallings (Vandy)
Miller (Xavier)
Jim Christian (Kent)

BRM
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Ditto. 5 I'd go after (that are somewhat, maybe, realistic):

Pearl (UcheaT)
Bennett (Wazzu)
Stallings (Vandy)
Miller (Xavier)
Jim Christian (Kent)

Pearl, Bennett, and Miller are the names I hear/read the most.