PDA

View Full Version : Tombstone vs. Wyatt Earp

namichael
02-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Wyatt Earp to me comes off as more of a biopic, while Tombstone is flat out more entertaining.

My vote goes to Tombstone and Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday.

:beerme:

TeamCasey
02-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Tombstone - I agree.

bucksfan2
02-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Not even close. Tombstone was a great movie.

camisadelgolf
02-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I thought this was going to be a frozen pizza thread.

namichael
02-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I thought this was going to be a frozen pizza thread.

HAHA

GAC
02-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I watched Costner's Wyatt Earp yesterday, for the umpteenth time, on the Hallmark channel. Good movie, but Tombstone is better because it was more "entertaining" and the characters more colorful.

As I watched the movie I was on my laptop researching many of the characters, towns, and historical situations surrounding these movies. Both included some aspect of historical accuracy, but Costner's played greater detail to it then Tombstone. Maybe that's why it did, at times, kinda drag. I thought the same of the newly released Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.

Kilmer and Quaid both did a solid job as Doc, though I give the nod to Val. When I first saw Wyatt Earp I didn't recognize Quaid as Holiday. As much as I enjoy Tombstone, I still have a hard time with Kurt Russell as Earp. I think Costner's Earp was probably more closer to the original character. But that doesn't make for a good, money-making, Hollywood movie. ;)

Highlifeman21
02-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Not even close. Tombstone was a great movie.

No Kevin Costner vs. Kevin Costner.

Val Kilmer vs. No Val Kilmer.

This is an easy equation.

Tombstone > Wyatt Earp (and it's not even close)

Redlegs82
02-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Must be repeated, NOT EVEN CLOSE.
Tombstone.
"I'm your huckleberry."

GAC
02-26-2008, 09:32 AM
What made Tombstone so great though? And I agree by the way.

More colorful characters speaking highly rememberable, and memorable, lines.

People quote lines from Tombstone. Don't know the same can be said of Wyatt Earp.

Highlifeman21
02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
What made Tombstone so great though? And I agree by the way.

More colorful characters speaking highly rememberable, and memorable, lines.

People quote lines from Tombstone. Don't know the same can be said of Wyatt Earp.

Wyatt Earp is an hour longer than Tombstone. And it's certainly not a good hour.

IMO, Tombstone has a more no name cast, but gives better performances.

Kurt Russell
Val Kilmer
Sam Elliott
Bill Paxton
Powers Boothe
Charlton Heston
Michael Biehn
Billy Zane
Billy Bob Thornton
Frank Stallone

Wyatt Earp has a better cast, but I think making it quasi-biographical (as an earlier posted duly noted) just made it boringly dull.

Kevin Costner
Dennis Quaid
Gene Hackman
Mark Harmon
Catherine O'Hara
Bill Pullman
Tom Sizemore
Jim Caviezel
Tea Leone

I'm not sure why Wyatt Earp thought it would be successful 1 year removed from a very successful Tombstone.

RedsBaron
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
I love westerns, and I've liked a number of films made by both Kevin Costner and Dennis Quaid, but everytime I've tried to watch "Wyatt Earp" I have been bored out of my mind.
In contrast, "Tombstone" rivals "Casablanca" for a wealth of memorable lines. I have watched "Tombstone" countless times and will gladly watch it countless more times.
I disagree with GAC on one point: I love Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp.
I think the entire cast of "Tombstone" was terrific. Val Kilmer has never been better than he was as Doc Holliday, Sam Elliott was born to play western heroes, and Powers Booth was great as Curly Bill.
Hey, "Tombstone" even had Wyatt Earp in the cast, as an actor by that name, a distant relative of the original Wyatt Earp, played Billy Claiborne.

bucksfan2
02-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Costner may have played a better Earp but I like the casting job that Tombstone had. I think Kilmer nailed the Doc Holliday character. I also think its funny to see him as Doc then to see him in Top Gun. It almost looks like he is two completly different people. I liked both movies but I feel that Tombstone was more cinematic and appealed to more people while Wyatt Earp was more factual but did not appeal to the masses like Tombstone did.

Jack Burton
02-26-2008, 02:48 PM
The performances by Russell and Kilmer would be hard to top. "Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"

Ltlabner
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
There was exactly one line in Wyatt Earp that I found funny/entertaining. It was uttered by Quaid and involved kissing (that is all I can share during the family hours). It was more historically accurate but I don't go to the movie theater to learn, I go to be entertained. Major motion pictures are about the worst "learning" vechiles out there. If you want to learn history read a book, take a class, watch the history channel or PBS, visit historical sites or preferably all of the above. Wyatt Earp failed in it's entriety to be entertaining, the main goal of any motion picture.

Tombstone was faaaaar more entertaining and interesting. Somewhat fast and loose with the historical facts, but enough to have a venear of truth. The Doc character was totally engaging and had nice depth.

I couldn't nominate Tombstone for the "deepest" movie of the year, but it was very well done, had great acting, had an interesting story, enough action to be interesting and some scatterings of deeper emptional termoils. Tombstone in a landslide.

GAC
02-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I love westerns, and I've liked a number of films made by both Kevin Costner and Dennis Quaid, but everytime I've tried to watch "Wyatt Earp" I have been bored out of my mind.

No denying it definitely drags. And I think it's largely due to Costner's emphasis on detail and over production. I've never been a big fan of "Dances With Wolves". And dare we even mention Waterworld?

In contrast, "Tombstone" rivals "Casablanca" for a wealth of memorable lines. I have watched "Tombstone" countless times and will gladly watch it countless more times.

Me too. I have the DVD, yet it's running on one of the cable movie channels and I still watch it. There is some some of "hold" or addiction involved.

I disagree with GAC on one point: I love Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp.

I enjoyed his Earp character. Just have a hard time getting the image of "The Computer Wore tennis Shoes" out of my mind. :lol:

But Tombstone is one of my all-time best.

I just got the DVD of another of my favorites. It's an older one, but a dandy. Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan in "The Westerner".

TRF
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Love Tombstone, I actually haven't seen Wyatt Earp. But for Westerns made in the last 20 years, I have to say 3:10 to Yuma has them all beat. Even beats Unforgiven.