PDA

View Full Version : Semi Pro - Will Ferrell plays HORSE with Bill Walton

Razor Shines
02-27-2008, 11:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3267201

With Semi Pro coming out on Friday I figured I'd post this. It's pretty funny, Will Ferrell actually has a nice looking jumper.

George Foster
02-28-2008, 12:42 AM
dude, Will can shoot!...he's pretty good. I was impressed:eek:

TeamCasey
02-28-2008, 06:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYz6VKwJuZU

TeamCasey
02-28-2008, 06:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vk8RI5yW8k&feature=related

Ravenlord
02-28-2008, 07:04 AM
that was cool. i can't believe Walton actually made a shot like that in an actual game. i can't wait for this movie...

Highlifeman21
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Adam Dunn should grow a fro this year in honor of this movie.

RichRed
02-28-2008, 10:16 AM
i can't wait for this movie...

The wife and I saw a sneak preview Monday night. It's pretty awful. And I'm a big Will Ferrell fan.

Unassisted
02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
The wife and I saw a sneak preview Monday night. It's pretty awful. And I'm a big Will Ferrell fan.That's interesting. The review in my local paper said this film would only be of interest to Will Ferrell fans. Uh oh! Will's own mother may not even like this one. :eek:

westofyou
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I saw the Dead at the Berkeley Greek Theater in 1984, backstage was a basketball hoop... during the break I watched Bill Walton play HORSE with Bob Weir.

SunDeck
02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I saw the Dead at the Berkeley Greek Theater in 1984, backstage was a basketball hoop... during the break I watched Bill Walton play HORSE with Bob Weir.

Did he shoot as badly on acid as he did in this clip?
Man, poor old Bill looks like he can barely stay standing on those knees.

*BaseClogger*
02-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Adam Dunn should grow a fro this year in honor of this movie.

Or Will Ferrell needs to play an Adam Dunn-like character in his next movie...

Dom Heffner
02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I wonder at what point Will Ferrell runs out of sports to revolve his movie around.

Unassisted
02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
I wonder at what point Will Ferrell runs out of sports to revolve his movie around.Be careful what you wish for. There is one sport that almost everyone on this board likes that hasn't been blessed with a Will Ferrell movie yet. My only fear is that Adam Sandler will beat him to it. ;)

TC81190
02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Be careful what you wish for. There is one sport that almost everyone on this board likes that hasn't been blessed with a Will Ferrell movie yet. My only fear is that Adam Sandler will beat him to it. ;)

What's wrong with Ferrell? :confused:

IslandRed
02-28-2008, 03:28 PM
OK... roll call of everyone who saw an ABA game in person.

(Raises hand)

My dad worked for a firm that had Kentucky Colonels season tickets, so I got to see a handful of games as a kid. Even saw Julius Erving play as a Virginia Squire.

RichRed
02-28-2008, 03:41 PM

(Raises hand)

My dad worked for a firm that had Kentucky Colonels season tickets, so I got to see a handful of games as a kid. Even saw Julius Erving play as a Virginia Squire.

Wish I could say I had. My dad saw a few Squires games here in Norfolk. What it must have been like to see Erving & Gervin on the same team. And as good as Dr. J was when he got to the NBA, he was, by all accounts, just beyond phenomenal in his early ABA days.

Too bad there's hardly any video around from those games.

Unassisted
02-28-2008, 03:55 PM
What's wrong with Ferrell? :confused:1. With 3 sports films in a row, he's becoming a 1-trick pony.

2. He is said to have acquired an ego larger than a 1972 Cadillac.

3. He shares Adam Sandler's nasty habit of laughing at his own material.

I prefer my film stars to be humble and versatile.

*BaseClogger*
02-28-2008, 04:34 PM
1. With 3 sports films in a row, he's becoming a 1-trick pony.

so you didn't like Stranger Than Fiction or Bewitched :eek:

Roy Tucker
02-28-2008, 04:40 PM

(Raises hand)

:wave:

Went over to see the Indiana Pacers play, circa 1972. George McGinnis, Roger Brown, Mel Daniels, Darnell Hillman (world's greatest 'fro)...

I want to say they played the Utah Stars because I vaguely remember Zelmo Beaty playing. But that was also close to the era I was going down to see the Royals play so I'm not exactly sure.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 04:46 PM
http://www.filmdrunk.com/post.phtml?pk=1225

looks 1000000 times better than semi pro

Unassisted
02-28-2008, 05:57 PM
so you didn't like Stranger Than Fiction or Bewitched :eek:Mostly, I avoided both of those films based on the lousy reviews they received. Bewitched is a special case for me, because I view the series as a classic cultural touchstone and I didn't want to see it redone badly. Stranger than Fiction just looked like a weak concept.

Ravenlord
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Stranger than Fiction just looked like a weak concept.

Stranger Than Fiction is one of the best dramas i've ever seen. it's kinda brutal; especially when you're going into it thinking comedy.

redsfan1966
02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
I really enjoyed Stranger than Fiction....though I will agree Will (I am a fan) is becoming a one trick with all of the sports movies...

marcshoe
02-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Stranger than Fiction was mostly a good movie, but the ending was a cop-out, which is ironic, considering. Or maybe expected.

I was disappointed that Will Ferrell went back to his usual. I thought maybe that movie was a sign that he was maturing. He's made enough stupid movies for a lifetime.

TC81190
02-28-2008, 11:57 PM
1. With 3 sports films in a row, he's becoming a 1-trick pony.

3 sports films in a row? By my count there's been Talladega Nights and now this, and I'd hardly say those were in a row. And while I don't necessarily get where you say he's gotten a huge ego, that's not really something that concerns me. Entertain me on screen, what you do off of it is not my business, IMO.

Razor Shines
02-29-2008, 12:32 AM
3 sports films in a row? By my count there's been Talladega Nights and now this, and I'd hardly say those were in a row. And while I don't necessarily get where you say he's gotten a huge ego, that's not really something that concerns me. Entertain me on screen, what you do off of it is not my business, IMO.

Probably counting Blades of Glory, but you're right ice skating is not a sport. I know someone said he's done enough stupid movies for a lifetime but I personally still like his stupid movies. He's got another one coming out called Step Brothers with John C. Riley, I'll go see that opening night as well.

And I agree with you about the ego thing, I couldn't care less, I just want him to make me laugh.

Razor Shines
02-29-2008, 03:13 AM
that was cool. i can't believe Walton actually made a shot like that in an actual game. i can't wait for this movie...

Not to nit pick but it was actually Larry Legend that made that shot in a game.

Ravenlord
02-29-2008, 04:01 AM

which overall, tells you how much i care about basketball; still an amazing shot though.

Unassisted
02-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Probably counting Blades of Glory, but you're right ice skating is not a sport.
Even if you don't count Blades of Glory (which is the film I was counting), you have to count Kicking and Screaming.

As for the ego thing, I've seen far too many times that it's a sign of trouble to come. The ego's going to eventually lead him to say something or do something which will disappoint his fans. I'd rather not invest the effort in following the work of someone who's ultimately going to (metaphorically) commit professional suicide with his offscreen actions.

*BaseClogger*
02-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Stranger than Fiction was mostly a good movie, but the ending was a cop-out, which is ironic, considering. Or maybe expected.

I was disappointed that Will Ferrell went back to his usual. I thought maybe that movie was a sign that he was maturing. He's made enough stupid movies for a lifetime.

Unlike Adam Sandler, I would like to see Ferrell stick to his roots and make the best movies he can, even if they are stupid... they are quite funny!

Roy Tucker
02-29-2008, 12:44 PM

I used to practice that shot for hours. Behind the bankboard shots are great for HORSE.

Can't imagine doing it in a game.

redsfanmia
02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
:wave:

Went over to see the Indiana Pacers play, circa 1972. George McGinnis, Roger Brown, Mel Daniels, Darnell Hillman (world's greatest 'fro)...

I want to say they played the Utah Stars because I vaguely remember Zelmo Beaty playing. But that was also close to the era I was going down to see the Royals play so I'm not exactly sure.

Roger Brown was fantastic. Roy if your a fan of the ABA I recommend Loose Balls by Terry Pluto, its an absolute must for any fan of the ABA.

SunDeck
02-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I saw a Royals game at the Gardens.
This guy could play a little.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/nate-archibald-at-1.jpg

RichRed
02-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Roger Brown was fantastic. Roy if your a fan of the ABA I recommend Loose Balls by Terry Pluto, its an absolute must for any fan of the ABA.

I second that recommendation. Great book.

Chip R
02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I second that recommendation. Great book.

Third it. Excellent book.

*BaseClogger*
03-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Just got back--great movie. Had low expectations going into it, unlike Talladega Nights where I had incredibly high expectations. I would say it was the second funniest film of Ferrell's collection behind Anchorman. Something like Superbad meets Kicking and Screaming. The bear scenes are straight up awesome. Bottom line--more hilarity from Will Ferrell...

Hollcat
03-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Third it. Excellent book.

Make it a fourth. One of my favorites. There are some things that happened in that league that are beyond belief.