PDA

View Full Version : Fays blog post on Weathers

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
David Weathers is a good teammate and he wants to win, so he wasan't about to complain when the Reds signed Francisco Cordero. But he admits it stung a bit.

“I was a little disappointed when everything happened and the way it did,” Weather said. “You have your best season and you get demoted. As they say, you take on the chin and keep fighting. That’s the way my whole career has been.”

Weathers understands why Cordero was added. Weathers was good last year -- converting 33 of 39 saves -- but the Reds bullpen overall was awful. The Reds finished last in National League in relief pitching with a 5.13 ERA.

“We needed a guy like Francisco,” Weathers said. “We had to have that because it makes our team that much better. But I would have hoped to be in that slot. That’s human nature.”

Weathers has always been afterthought with the Reds. That was the case when he signed his current contract.

In 2006, he was closer until the Reds traded for Eddie Guardado and after Guardado got hurt. Still, the Reds didn’t jump at the chance to bring Weathers back.
They signed Mike Stanton first. Weathers wanted to come back but the Reds weren’t willing to pay what they paid Stanton.

Weathers left to a $10 million, three-year deal from San Francisco on the table to sign with the Reds for two years and $5 million -- $500,000 less than Stanton’s deal.

“It took so long to get a deal done,” Weathers said. “If compared me to what every other guy was doing, I was doing my job as well better as anyone – with the saves, the holds and all that.

“You’re only human. You do feel underappreciated – or taken for granted,” Weathers said. “I felt that way. You sit around and see everyone else get rewarded.”

Ok David time to act like a big boy and stop the cry baby stuff.

Natty Redlocks
02-28-2008, 02:10 PM

He's just being honest. As long as he does his job, who cares? By all accounts he's a great teammate, but he's also human.

CRedsLarkin11
02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Weathers is a very good setup man but not a very good closer. We now have a top 10 closer and one of the better setup men in the game. I like the one quote about it being human nature to want to be the closer. If I had just read that, hey, no big deal but he stretched this out a little too long. It doesn't matter either way how he feels about it but nonetheless these are unnecessary comments from a vet who knows our bullpen needed help.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
He's just being honest. As long as he does his job, who cares? By all accounts he's a great teammate, but he's also human.

It just sounds a bit like he wants a pity party thrown for him

I(heart)Freel
02-28-2008, 02:28 PM
It's important to note how this all works, the media.

Fay probably approached him and asked around the idea of how it felt when the Reds signed Cordero.

Weathers answers honestly and then everyone thinks he is a cry baby etc.

Given the scenario, is he supposed to lie and say it's all great, I didn't want the closer job anymore, etc. Would you actually respect him more?

This happens all the time with Junior too. Media asks. He answers. And people get bent out of shape.

We would have heard about this A LOT sooner if he was a cry-baby and wanted it heard. Since we haven't, my guess is that he was asked and answered honestly.

I respect him for that. Doesn't mean I don't like him in the 7th or 8th much more than as a closer. But I do respect him.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Weathers has always been afterthought with the Reds. That was the case when he signed his current contract.

In 2006, he was closer until the Reds traded for Eddie Guardado and after Guardado got hurt. Still, the Reds didn’t jump at the chance to bring Weathers back.
They signed Mike Stanton first. Weathers wanted to come back but the Reds weren’t willing to pay what they paid Stanton.

Weathers left to a $10 million, three-year deal from San Francisco on the table to sign with the Reds for two years and $5 million -- $500,000 less than Stanton’s deal.

“It took so long to get a deal done,” Weathers said. “If compared me to what every other guy was doing, I was doing my job as well better as anyone – with the saves, the holds and all that.

“You’re only human. You do feel underappreciated – or taken for granted,” Weathers said. “I felt that way. You sit around and see everyone else get rewarded.”

Is what I found cry babyish

I(heart)Freel
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Is what I found cry babyish

The only thing you can attribute to him are the quotes.

And again I ask, how was he supposed to answer the question: how did it make you feel?

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
The only thing you can attribute to him are the quotes.

And again I ask, how was he supposed to answer the question: how did it make you feel?
He can say he didnt like it but there is no reason to go off on the tangent acting like he is being mistreated here.

durl
02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
It honestly didn't sound like a "cry-baby" to me. The guy's got valid points. He had a good save percentage but makes less money than a guy who had a terrible year.

As far as the closer role goes, he did say that the Reds needed Cordero. That alone lets me know that he understands and agrees with the move. But how many of us would not be affected if we had a good year at our work but the company hires someone else to do our job and moves us to another department? I can certainly understand the urge to feel disappointed.

namichael
02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I can completely understand why it would sting a little bit. And as it's been said he was just being honest. Truth be known, why not be honest? It's not like he is gonna get a bonus for being smiles and sunshine when he is asked a question. For that, I say go David. I'm sure he understands why the Reds went with Cordero still doesn't mean he has to like it..

I think Weathers did a good job given the circumstances last year. I think the one thing that he had going against him was he had trouble closing it down 1 2 3 without getting a couple guys on base and making us sweat.

Nick

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 06:21 PM
It honestly didn't sound like a "cry-baby" to me. The guy's got valid points. He had a good save percentage but makes less money than a guy who had a terrible year.

As far as the closer role goes, he did say that the Reds needed Cordero. That alone lets me know that he understands and agrees with the move. But how many of us would not be affected if we had a good year at our work but the company hires someone else to do our job and moves us to another department? I can certainly understand the urge to feel disappointed.

He wasnt forced into the deal. I dont care to hear about someone whining about being mistreated when he signed a contract to be here and passed up other deals to do it. If you wanted more money you should have took the higher paying contract. Thats what is very childish of me.

I(heart)Freel
02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
He wasnt forced into the deal. I dont care to hear about someone whining about being mistreated when he signed a contract to be here and passed up other deals to do it. If you wanted more money you should have took the higher paying contract. Thats what is very childish of me.

And I will again refer you to his quotes. John Fay put the salary situation in there. Weathers' quotes - the only things you can be sure he said, provided Fay is an ethical reporter - never says anything about his salary amount.

What Weathers does say is that he thought he did a good job among his peers and that it took too long in his mind to get a contract worked out.

Hardly crybaby material. Please don't make something out of nothing.

Bip Roberts
02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
And I will again refer you to his quotes. John Fay put the salary situation in there. Weathers' quotes - the only things you can be sure he said, provided Fay is an ethical reporter - never says anything about his salary amount.

What Weathers does say is that he thought he did a good job among his peers and that it took too long in his mind to get a contract worked out.

Hardly crybaby material. Please don't make something out of nothing.

Im not trying to make something out of nothing. I think he means well and will pitch fine but the comments about how he was treated and the money hes seen to be under appreciated and taken for granted really rubs me the wrong way

redsfanmia
02-28-2008, 07:41 PM

How is that cry baby stuff? The guy had 33 saves last season and had an overall good season and got replaced. He has the right to be upset a bit IMO.

AdamDunn
02-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I think statistically, he's better in the ninth inning than the eight (I have no data on that. But just from observation) which is why I sort of scratched my head when they got Cordero instead of a setup man.

mound_patrol
02-29-2008, 10:06 AM
As others have stated, this shouldn't be called being a "cry baby". The man was asked some questions and he responded. It's not like he went out of his way to make himself heard. I feel like he handled everything pretty well. I don't think I would have bitten my tongue as well as he did. Also just because he's employed by the Reds doesn't mean he has to put on a happy face and act like everything is perfect. Hopefully now he's gotten this out of his system and can move forward.

Krawhitham
02-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Weathers is a very good setup man but not a very good closer.

And yet he had less blown saves that the 46 million dollar man

Signing Cordero was nothing more that a PR move to make the casual fan think the Reds were getting better

Closing was not the issue last season, the Reds would have been just fine using Burton in the 8th and Weathers in the 9th this season. Then next year move Burton into the closers role. This is a great PR move, most fans that but tickets do not scrutinize every stat like many here, they truly believe the Reds are greatly improved because of Cordero

durl
02-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Honestly, I think Cordero was a good signing regardless of Weather's performance last year. Weathers will be of greater value as a setup man and that was the Reds biggest need in 2007. Like I said earlier, I can understand the move stinging a bit ("Thanks, David. You did a GREAT job but we're going to go with someone else.") but I believe he still sees the big picture, judging from his comments.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 01:39 PM
And yet he had less blown saves that the 46 million dollar man

Signing Cordero was nothing more that a PR move to make the casual fan think the Reds were getting better

Closing was not the issue last season, the Reds would have been just fine using Burton in the 8th and Weathers in the 9th this season. Then next year move Burton into the closers role. This is a great PR move, most fans that but tickets do not scrutinize every stat like many here, they truly believe the Reds are greatly improved because of Cordero

there is so much wrong with this post.

Cordero blew 1 more save last year with a ton more chances. He ultimately saved at a better percentage.

Cordero was signed because he made the team better in their weakest spot. It was a PR move but it wasnt just based off being a PR move.

Closing wasnt the problem last year you are correct. The problem was getting from the starter to the closer. There wasnt really any options for set up men as they were signing big deals to begin with so they chose to get the best free agent pitcher out there. That allowed them to move Weathers, Burton, down innings and helping out a lot more. By signing Cordero they improved every part of that bullpen just because they werent forced to keep Weathers as the closer.