PDA

View Full Version : AGon is has a little bit more than a bone bruise

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Just saw this on Lances blog

SS Alex Gonzalez has been diagnosed with a compression fracture of his left knee. He will be evaluated again in 3 weeks.

Carin4Narron
02-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Just saw this on Lances blog injuries always are worse than first reported with the Reds. Doc Hollywood is a joke! He rather be on tv or radio than trying to get his doctor stuff right.

AmarilloRed
02-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Juan Castro, starting shortstop.:laugh:

Z-Fly
02-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I'll never understand how a player comes intro camp hurt. They should of saw this at the end of last season.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Juan Castro, starting shortstop.:laugh:

I really doubt that happens

02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
We will now get a better idea if Keppinger can be an everyday SS. Let the debate begin...(or continue.)

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I guess this means Castro makes the team. Starts? That's never gonna happen.

02-29-2008, 02:51 PM
This also helps Jerry Gil's chances of making the OD roster. He is listed as an outfielder, but he can play short as well. Supposed to be outstanding defensively in CF. Baker seems to have a man crush on him. He would provide a lot of speed off the bench.

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
This also helps Jerry Gil's chances of making the OD roster. He is listed as an outfielder, but he can play short as well. Supposed to be outstanding defensively in CF. Baker seems to have a man crush on him. He would provide a lot of speed off the bench.He played well yesterday. Also, he has a CANNON. They said he was messing around in the bullpen one day in Arizona, and he hit in the high 90s.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Jerry Gil has all the talent in the world. The only problem is his worst skill is actually the most important of them all.

02-29-2008, 03:12 PM
;)I would love to see a hitting contest between Castro and Gil. More laughs than Will Farrell movie.

Let's see, if the Reds keep Castro, Gil, and Bako as a third catcher, they would have an awesome bench! ;)

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 03:14 PM
;)I would love to see a hitting contest between Castro and Gil. More laughs than Will Farrell movie.

Let's see, if the Reds keep Castro, Gil, and Bako as a third catcher, they would have an awesome bench! ;)

Gil would dominate just because his only hit would be a double or a triple

02-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Gil would dominate just because his only hit would be a double or a triple

I don't know, remember Marty always says that Castro has some surprising power.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't know, remember Marty always says that Castro has some surprising power.

Im going with Gil just because hes 24

GoReds33
02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
In 06' Gil had 27 homers in 493 at bats. That's a bit more than suprising power.

captainmorgan07
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
more at bats for keppinger at short this spring and maybe a few for castro throw in. I want to see gil get more ab's this spring to see what he can do.

02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
If Gonzo is out for awhile, and Kepp is the starting SS, then the Reds really need a RH 1B to platoon with Votto, and come off the bench. Could be Andy Phillips or possibly Adam Rosales.

kentjett
02-29-2008, 08:15 PM
What is Votto's average against left handers. Keppinger will make the offense beteer but the defense will be a little worse, not much of a loss in my mind. I say we give Votto the everyday job.

Bip Roberts
02-29-2008, 08:26 PM
What is Votto's average against left handers. Keppinger will make the offense beteer but the defense will be a little worse, not much of a loss in my mind. I say we give Votto the everyday job.

Votto is like .270/.350 something against lefties in the minors

mlbfan30
02-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Rosales is a great choice and a very underrated hitter. He came up as a SS, so he should be able to play that, 3B, and 2B even if it isn't great defense. Casto can't make this team, he would just be horrible offensively. Also Castro's defense is just average now because of his limited range. 1 M is not a lot in baseball money and keeping his because of that is a horrible idea.

AmarilloRed
03-01-2008, 01:07 AM
From Fay:

SS Alex Gonzalez's MRI revealed a compression fracture of his left knee. He will be evaluated again in three weeks.

He's crutches and will be unable to do anything baseball-related until he's re-evaluated.

The injury is suffered from landing wrong. It is not related to last year's injury. It's a different spot.

Dusty Baker on who replaces him: "(Jeff) Keppinger is one of the guys. He played well there last year. (Paul) Janish, (Adam) Rosales, (Juan) Castro. We're going to look at a lot of guys."

Keppinger would seem to be the leading candidate to start at shortstop until Gonzalez is re-evaluated in 3 weeks. Janish and Rosales also seem destined to get some playing time. I was kidding about Castro starting at SS, but it seems Baker will be looking at him as well.

jmac
03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I would like to see Votto get several ab's vs lefties this ST.
I dont really care for a straight platoon but maybe a day off vs the real tough lefties. Not neccessarily because of him but rather to give us another righty in lineup.

In a side question: not being around cincinnati area, are there any places where you can get reds shirts with Bruce or Votto ' s names on them yet ?

SMcGavin
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
If Gonzo is out for awhile, and Kepp is the starting SS, then the Reds really need a RH 1B to platoon with Votto, and come off the bench. Could be Andy Phillips or possibly Adam Rosales.

Yeah will be interesting to see what we do with this. I think Keppinger is a pretty sure bet to get the lion's share of the time at SS now (although Dusty will probably throw Castro out there just enough to cause a few RedsZone riots).

The interesting question is what now of Votto? I'd like to see him out there just about every day, whether it be a RHP or a LHP. With Keppinger as a backup who kills lefties, the Reds had a justification to make him a platoon guy for now. Without Keppinger there I don't think that justification is there. Andy Phillips is average at best even against lefties, and Rosales has completed only a half season at AA.

gedred69
03-01-2008, 12:20 PM
injuries always are worse than first reported with the Reds. Doc Hollywood is a joke! He rather be on tv or radio than trying to get his doctor stuff right.

I kinda' tend to agree. Remember how Bray's finger last year was just a bone chip or something? Turned out later it was broken, and appropriate treatment was way too delayed. He ended up missing half the season. Tell me the bullpen wouldn't have held several more leads last year if only Bray had been healthy early in the year.

ChatterRed
03-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Makes finding Keppinger all that much more important.

donnelly_31
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
No way Juan Castro should even be considered for the opening day roster. He has no business being in the majors and him getting spring training time is only getting in the way of developing the younger players.