PDA

View Full Version : Hatteberg Trade Speculation

Newman4
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
from mlbtraderumors:

Votto May Crowd Hatteberg Out
If John Halpin is right, Scott Hatteberg of the Reds ought to be looking forward to a lot of bench time this coming season.

Writing about fantasy baseball on foxsports.com, Halpin is wild on Joey Votto. The Cincy first baseman ranks second in Halpin's list of rookies to watch in 2008. If Votto comes through, would Hatteberg be trade bait at mid-season? Hatteberg will earn $1.85MM this year after Cincinnati picked up his option. It's a bargain for a professional hitter who controls the strike zone.

The Yankees may need a first baseman once Joe Girardi gets tired of seeing Jason Giambi play matador at the corner. The A's may be attracted by his pricetag if Daric Barton doesn't provide enough offense. The Royals and Giants also are possibilities, in my estimation.

Votto joins teammates Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce in the list of eleven first-year players. Boston's Clay Buchholz heads the list.

By Big Mike Glab

Also on mlbtraderumors:

Now the Mets might be another potential destination for Scott Hatteberg if Joey Votto shoves him out of Cincinnati.

Royals Fan
03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
If i was Wayne, Royals called about Hatteberg. My choice would be Jimmy Gobble.

gedred69
03-02-2008, 06:57 PM

That would be good. Do you really think the Royals would give him up for an "oldish" 1st baseman? What else might they want? Granted, as Marty and Jeff said today, the Reds have 2 professional hitters, one being Hatteberg. (I would say 3-4 but, they singled out Hatteberg and Keppinger, for their patience at the plate).

SMcGavin
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Granted, as Marty and Jeff said today, the Reds have 2 professional hitters, one being Hatteberg. (I would say 3-4 but, they singled out Hatteberg and Keppinger, for their patience at the plate).

I'd imagine Marty would be devastated at the loss of Hatteberg. Just curious, what are the traits you look for in a "professional hitter". Lots of pitches seen per at bat? Walks? Something else? (not trying to knock you at all, just curious since I see the term thrown around now and then)

ChatterRed
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM

Wow. That gave me a Saturday Night Live flashback with Weekend Update and Dennis Miller.

On a Thanksgiving Show, Miller was doing Weekend Update. Every once in awhile, a photo would pop up. The first photo was obviously a turkey, to which Miller said "Gobble, gobble, gobble!" He then went on with his Weekend Update. Then a picture of Bryant Gumbel came up to which he said "Gumbel, Gumbel, Gumbel". Continued on with his news and then another picture came up of George Goebbel, to which he obviously said "Goebbel, Goebbel, Goebbel!". The news continued and then the punchline came up.......a picture of Pete Rose, to which Miller said.......

......."Gamble, gamble, gamble!"

I have to admit it was funny at the time. This was all back when the investigation was going on or just completed. Funny stuff.

LouisvilleCARDS
03-03-2008, 11:06 PM
I would trade him for maybe some decent young bullpen guys to see what sticks if teams need him. I think every trade should be bullpen guys until we get some stability in here and find out who can play.