PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Rotation Clues

hippie07
03-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I hate to make too much outta spring training - so please take this post w/ a grain of salt, but I notice that Dusty's starting rotation seems to be:

Harang
Arroyo
Affeldt
Belisle
Bailey

Even further evidence is that Dusty has been quoted several times saying something along the lines of "its nice to split up the rotation w/ a LH to give a team a different look during a series".... I think this might be Dusty's rotation by default... I'm surprised that it's Bailey instead of Fogg, to be honest ... but I can't say I'm upset about it. I'm not saying that everyone unconditionally has these spots .. but I think it might be Dusty's rotation of 1st impression.

Initial comments: Where's this leave Volquez? Fogg? Cueto? The LH side of the bullpen stinks w/o Affeldt.

redsmetz
03-02-2008, 09:59 PM
I think you're reading too much in to the first round of games. I think it's too early to discern a particular pattern. Give it another two weeks and we'll start to see the shape of it.

hippie07
03-02-2008, 11:11 PM
well -its actually the 2nd round of games into which I'm reading (Trent has the upcoming games posted). Plus Dusty's comments about breaking up the righties w/a lefty... I'm thinking there's something to be said for the Harang, Arroyo, Affeldt, Belisle, Bailey thing...

PuffyPig
03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I hate to make too much outta spring training - so please take this post w/ a grain of salt....

I think that was good advice.

red-in-la
03-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Did something happen to Fogg? I will surprised if he doesn't make the rotation.

icehole3
03-03-2008, 05:53 AM
I think all the young studs are headed for the bullpen or AAA.

hippie07
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Did something happen to Fogg? I will surprised if he doesn't make the rotation.

I thought the same thing ... but WK said Fogg's an option while Dusty says "I pick the best arms" ... If Bailey makes the rotation ahead of Fogg - I guess he could be a long relief man in the pen and step into the rotation if someone falters.

If Affeldt does well, I have no problem w/ him being the 3rd starter --- considering Dusty's comments I have every inclination to think that if Affeldt pitches well enough to make the rotation, then he'll be our 3rd starter...

When a manager runs out the exact same SP rotation 2
rotations in a row ... and then he stretches those same guys out to 3 innings instead of 2 (like we saw w/ Affeldt today) .. I gotta think he's "trying out his rotation" ...

I'm just saying that I bet Dusty's inclination is the following: Harang/Arroyo/Affeldt/Belisle/Bailey... and as long as each of those guys earn their spot ... I have no problem w/ it.

I mean I'm talking "Spring Training Rotation Clues" here ... not "Dusty's Bakers Starting Rotation - Like it or Lump it".

If Dusty seriously "takes the best arms north" - I gotta think Bailey, Cueto, Volquez are in the group. If you throw in the obligatory addition of Fogg - the BP would be the following considering the ST rotation sticks:

Cordero
Weathers
Burton
Cueto
Volquez
Bray?/Roenicke
Coutlangus
Fogg