PDA

View Full Version : Rotation Battle

AmarilloRed
03-03-2008, 01:24 AM
I thought I would create a thread to keep track on how the various starting pitchers are doing so far. Here goes:

Volquez: 1 game, 16.20 ERA(ouch!), 2 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, 1 walk, 1 strikeout

Bailey: 1 game, 2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1 hit, 2 walks, 1 strikeout

Affeldt: 1 game, 4.50 ERA, 2 IP, 3 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 1 strikeout.

Belisle : 1 game, 0.00 ERA, 2 IP, 3 hits

Cueto: 1 g, 4.50 ERA, 2 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 2 strikeouts

It is still early, and anything could still happen. I will attempt to update it through spring training. I will attempt to create a similar thread for relievers in the next couple of days.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Its really way too early. All 3 of our young guys have had 1 strong inning and 1 bad inning just based on the audio.

ChatterRed
03-03-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm writing off Volquez with his 16.20 era. ;)

UPRedsFan
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Good idea for a thread. You should start one for the pen too. IMO - everyone except Cordero and Weathers should be in that one

What about adding Fogg to the starters or are you assuming he's a lock?

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Affeldt has been a ground ball machine this spring. I think out of the 15 outs hes recorded 10+ have been ground balls.

SMcGavin
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Affeldt has been a ground ball machine this spring. I think out of the 15 outs hes recorded 10+ have been ground balls.

Good to hear. He's had solid ground ball tendencies over his career, that should help him alot in GABP. Here's to hoping it's from the bullpen. :beerme:

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Good to hear. He's had solid ground ball tendencies over his career, that should help him alot in GABP. Here's to hoping it's from the bullpen. :beerme:

If he continues with how hes pitching and starts to trust his change up like he said he did today we could have a solid starter on our hands.

SMcGavin
03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
If he continues with how hes pitching and starts to trust his change up like he said he did today we could have a solid starter on our hands.

Yeah maybe so. I think we really need him in the pen though, especially if Bray is gonna miss time, so I'm hoping the other rotation candidates do really well and Affeldt gets pushed down to the pen.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah maybe so. I think we really need him in the pen though, especially if Bray is gonna miss time, so I'm hoping the other rotation candidates do really well and Affeldt gets pushed down to the pen.

Yea if he continues how hes doing I hope to see someone in that bullpen step up. Either way Affeldt has some promise.

AmarilloRed
03-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Good idea for a thread. You should start one for the pen too. IMO - everyone except Cordero and Weathers should be in that one

What about adding Fogg to the starters or are you assuming he's a lock?

Fogg hadn't started a game yet, so I did not add him. I will add him when he does.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Has Cueto or Volquez started a game yet?

AmarilloRed
03-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Has Cueto or Volquez started a game yet?

Volquez has started 1 game. Cueto hasn't, I may have been premature in adding him this early. Affeldt had a good start today. 3 IP,1 hit, 1 run, 1 earned, 2 walks, and 1 strikeout to lower his ERA to 3.60. Correction, Volquez still has not started a game.

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
All those guys are being pitched like they are starting though. Even though they havent actually started a game doesnt mean much.

BLEEDS
03-03-2008, 07:58 PM
IMO only Affeldt and Harang have had anything even remotely close to being considered a "start".

Other than that, they've been pitching like relief pitchers, 1-2 inning stints. Actually, it's more like pitching for an All-Star game.

When the real games start - where a pitcher goes 3+ innings, then get back to me.

Until then, you can all put down your "Never should have traded Josh Hamilton for Volquez" ammunition.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Unless he has a serious tback, I think Affeldt is a lock for a spot in the rotation.

His change-up was spot on today, and as noted he's a ground-ball machine.

Plus, it appears Dusty wants to "mix in" a lefty in every series, almost as much as he wants to split up lefties in the Batting Order.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GoReds33
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I want to see this rotation:
Harang
Arroyo
Volquez
Belisle
Affeldt

I want to see Bailey and Cueto take Belisle and Affeldt out of the rotation around June or July.

BLEEDS
03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I want to see this rotation:
Harang
Arroyo
Volquez
Belisle
Affeldt

I want to see Bailey and Cueto take Belisle and Affeldt out of the rotation around June or July.

I'll buy that for a Dollar...

Bailey and Cueto in AAA would be most ideal, especially since we are going to really suck this year (with the signing of Corey Patterson), no reason to start their Arb clocks until absolutely necessary.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I fail to see how signing Corey Patterson equates into us really sucking this year.

BLEEDS
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I fail to see how signing Corey Patterson equates into us really sucking this year.

Because he will be the starting CF-er come opening day.

Mark My Words.

It also means that Jay F. Bruce will not be making the trip north, and will start in AAA, probably until September, unless Griffey hits the extended DL before then.

You thought people hated Dusty's lineups before, wait until he fills one out with Patterson's name on it. :runawaycr

Unless a trade is forthcoming, we are not adding quality, only quantity. Fodder, Fodder, and more Fodder.

Oh Brudder!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Because he will be the starting CF-er come opening day.

Mark My Words.

It also means that Jay F. Bruce will not be making the trip north, and will start in AAA, probably until September, unless Griffey hits the extended DL before then.

You thought people hated Dusty's lineups before, wait until he fills one out with Patterson's name on it. :runawaycr

Unless a trade is forthcoming, we are not adding quality, only quantity. Fodder, Fodder, and more Fodder.

Oh Brudder!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Oh I didnt notice but I could have sworn we signed these guys to minor league deals

BLEEDS
03-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Oh I didnt notice but I could have sworn we signed these guys to minor league deals

Uh-Huh. I never did place you as somone with any :censored: :censored: Have you been following the :censored: Reds much? Did you see who we :censored: signed for a manager?

If Corey Patterson isn't on the opening day 25 man roster for the Reds - barring catastrophic injury to said Corey Patterson - I will place a quote of your choice under my name for the entire season - if YOU agree to allow me the same to you if he is. Agreed?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Im not denying that guys in camp cant make the roster. For all anyone knows Chris Dickerson is going to be on the major league roster :dunno:

BLEEDS
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Im not denying that guys in camp cant make the roster. For all anyone knows Chris Dickerson is going to be on the major league roster :dunno:

Backpedal much?

That is the result of this signing. Jay Bruce in AAA. Corey Patterson on the Reds, playing Center Field, and leading off WAY WAY WAY too many times for a team that is ALLEGEDLY contending.

That is my contention. That is why we will suck. This decision has been made. Everything else is just window dressing.

Corey Patterson will have to break his leg not to be the opening day CF-er against Brandon Webb. Freel/Hopper will start against Left Handers.

SUCK!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Backpedal much?

That is the result of this signing. Jay Bruce in AAA. Corey Patterson on the Reds, playing Center Field, and leading off WAY WAY WAY too many times for a team that is ALLEGEDLY contending.

That is my contention. That is why we will suck. This decision has been made. Everything else is just window dressing.

Corey Patterson will have to break his leg not to be the opening day CF-er against Brandon Webb. Freel/Hopper will start against Left Handers.

SUCK!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ok I dont know how I back peddled but call it what you will because I know arguing with you just ends up in you picking parts you dont agree with and then some how saying it proves your points.

ChatterRed
03-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Starter or bullpen?

I just want the 5 best starters in the rotation. If Affeldt is one of them, then so be it.

I also hope Roenicke proves himself and makes the starting roster in the bullpen.

NDReds9
03-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Best 5 in terms of talent?
Harang
Arroyo
Cueto
Bailey
Volquez

What will the rotation be?
Harang
Arroyo
Belisle
Fogg
Affeldt

RSNtransplant
03-04-2008, 12:09 PM
HAl McCoy was on xm baseball beat this am, said rotation will be:
Harang
Arroyo
Fogg
Belisle
Affeldt

Also said Bailey was a head case, stubborn and wouldn't listen to anyone, which is why he'll start in AAA. Unless he gets his act together in which case he could make the team.

Also, said Reds lack pitching and defense to contend. Will compete for 3rd, but should be able to finish 500 or above.

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Fogg as our 3 :bowrofl: shoot me now

AmarilloRed
03-04-2008, 12:16 PM
HAl McCoy was on xm baseball beat this am, said rotation will be:
Harang
Arroyo
Fogg
Belisle
Affeldt

Also said Bailey was a head case, stubborn and wouldn't listen to anyone, which is why he'll start in AAA. Unless he gets his act together in which case he could make the team.

Also, said Reds lack pitching and defense to contend. Will compete for 3rd, but should be able to finish 500 or above.

Belisle, Bailey , and Affeldt are the only ones to start so far(in limited action,true). Fogg hasn't started yet, and may end up in the bullpen. That could all change down the line, but for now I would imagine those three to bring up the back end of the rotation.

RSNtransplant
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Fogg as our 3 :bowrofl: shoot me now

Could have been Affedlt, Belisle, Fogg, but those were his 5 guys, with Belisle mentioned 4th.

Bip Roberts
03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Im kinda on the Affeldt bandwagon

BLEEDS
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Belisle, Bailey , and Affeldt are the only ones to start so far(in limited action,true). Fogg hasn't started yet, and may end up in the bullpen. That could all change down the line, but for now I would imagine those three to bring up the back end of the rotation.

Nobody has really STARTED a game, you are REALLY trying to read too much into the first week of ST games. Pitchers are going 1-2 innings, doesn't matter if it's the 1st innning, the 3rd, or the 5th.

Fogg will get his shot at "STARTING" a real game.

Harang has pitched extended innnings, and did so on the day lined up to get him ready for the Opening Day game START.

IMO, Affeldt is in the lineup, and it's going to be between Volquez and Fogg for the remaining starting job. I think it's Volquez's to lose, for PR more than anything - "WE TRADED JOSH HAMILTON FOR A BULLPEN ARM!!"

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Newman4
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Update:
ERA IP H R ER HR HBP BB K
Affledt 3.60 5.0 4 2 2 0 0 2 2
Fogg 1.80 5.0 3 1 1 1 0 2 4
Bailey 0.00 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 2 1
Cueto 4.50 2.0 4 1 1 0 0 0 2
Volquez16.20 1.2 2 3 3 0 1 1 1

jmac
03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
So how is everyone feeling about Belisle so far?
I still have my doubts but I hope the fella takes that step.
I heard someone say they expect him to take a Harang-like step.Myself, I doubt that but I do think he should have a sub 5 ERA.

Affeldt is looking good though I still say we need him more in the pen as of right now.

Fogg looks good but he is the kind of guy, that I think you know what got regardless of ST. Decent but not real good.

Bailey/Cueto/Volquez too early to tell.

mound_patrol
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I think some of us are jumping on or off certain pitcher's bandwagons way too soon. Let's wait a little longer before we annoint the starting five.

gedred69
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I think some of us are jumping on or off certain pitcher's bandwagons way too soon. Let's wait a little longer before we annoint the starting five.

Ahhhh! sanity returns. I will be there, 14th through the 20th, catching at least 3 games, (gotta' allow beach time to ogle young babes on Spring Break), and hope to see some of the ?'s pitch meaningfully.

jmac
03-04-2008, 11:15 PM
My opinion of Belisle has nothing to do with his outing today but merely an opinion I have had thru the winter.
However while it is early, some of these guys are getting their chances right now.
For example, Maloney probably hurt his chances big time saturday.
Not because exactly of his outing but rather his falling behind nearly every hitter. I believe he could be a decent pitcher but he had an outside shot at the rotation as others do and one bad outing though ST, could be all Dusty needs.
Coutlangous is another that hurt his chances with two bad outings to start with.Plus Dusty brought him in twice with purpose of getting lefty which he didnt do.
Teams won-loss records in ST mean nothing but there is obvious pitching competition this season.
While a Cueto rough outing doesnt mean he wont help the reds this season, it could mean not at beginning though.

Old NDN
03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Best 5 in terms of talent?
Harang
Arroyo
Cueto
Bailey
Volquez

What will the rotation be?
Harang
Arroyo
Belisle
Fogg
Affeldt

IMO, the rotation and the entire opening day roster will NOT be made up of the best players but by those that are out of options and large contracts. I would love to see Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and Roenike push some of the others out. But, I don't see it happening.

AmarilloRed
03-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Another update:

Affeldt 0-1, 3.60 ERA, 2 GS, 5 IP, 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO

Bailey 0-0, 3.60 ERA, 2 GS, 5 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs, 2 ER, 3 bb, 3 so

Belisle 1-0 6.75 ERA, 4 IP, 6 hits, 3 runs, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO.

None of these can truly be considered real starts, but it gives us an idea of how they are doing in spring training.

Mutaman
03-05-2008, 10:25 PM
C. Trent:

"Dusty postgame:

The umpires told me both those guys (Bailey and Volquez) were throwing good. He told me Volquez was showing a live arm. That makes the changeup better.

That's who I ask. I remember years ago I was a coach and an umpire told me Terry Mulholland is going to be a heck of a pitcher. A lot of times I'll be out there having a long conversation and now you know what we're talking about. They see the movement and how batters are fooled.

He had strike 1, he kept the ball down. He had a good mound presence. He's looking better every time he goes out there, that's what you want.

Homer was very good today on pitch conservation. He was getting strike one, keeping it down and keeping the leadoff man off the plate. "