PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce--Get Him Out of CF A.S.A.P

reds44
03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
"It's a couple of days," Baker said. "The one thing that makes yo a little weary is he's had this a couple of times and he's 20 years old. You've got to find a way to stop these minor leg problems before they become major. Its rare you have them this young. It makes you a little apprehensive as far as being a centerfielder, because in his career, that's a lot of running out there. We'll figure something out."

That is from Trent.

I understand if we keep him in CF this year because there is an opening, but if Griffey or Dunn go down we need to get him out of center field. When Griffey and/or Dunn is most likely gone after this year, we need to move him to RF. This guy has too much talent, has too big of a body, and has too much talent to put that kind of pressure on his legs. As soon as we get the chance, he needs to be in a COF spot.

LincolnparkRed
03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I might be a little late on this story but what has his problems been? Maybe the need to find him a yoga coach or something since it seems like it might be a flexibility problem.

pahster
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Right fielders have to run around too.

flyer85
03-03-2008, 12:51 PM
The guy is twenty years old and GABP is a small CF ... playing there for a few years is not going to be an issue unless there is an underlying problem.

Chip R
03-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, hell, if this is such a problem, why not just move him to 1B? :rolleyes:

Falls City Beer
03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
*gulp*

Whither Erik Bedard?

Why is this the first I've heard that Bruce is gimpy?

Minor aches at a young age pretty much always lead to a case of the Griffies later.

MWM
03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
*gulp*

Whither Erik Bedard?

Why is this the first I've heard that Bruce is gimpy?

Minor aches at a young age pretty much always lead to a case of the Griffies later.

Well, if his career comes anywhere near to where Griffey's has been, I think we'll all be thrilled.

Falls City Beer
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Well, if his career comes anywhere near to where Griffey's has been, I think we'll all be thrilled.

Griffey's poor-leg genes didn't become symptomatic until much later in his career.

Bruce is gimpy at age 20? Not good. I guess they have just been hush-hush about it because it's the first I've heard of his fragility. But if it's true, I have no way of understanding why he wasn't dealt for Bedard.

KoryMac5
03-03-2008, 01:44 PM
A slight quad problem for a 20 yr old who is still filling out is not gimpy or being fragile, it is really all about nothing.

Heath
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Um, isn't this his first hurt in the spring?

And, this is his first spring under a huge microscope?

And we're already throwing him under the bus?

Is it me, or is it that bad around here?

Always Red
Bruce is gimpy at age 20? Not good. I guess they have just been hush-hush about it because it's the first I've heard of his fragility. But if it's true, I have no way of understanding why he wasn't dealt for Bedard.

Because maybe he just tweaked it a bit yesterday and this is all way overblown? That's how I see it.

Falls City Beer
A slight quad problem for a 20 yr old who is still filling out is not gimpy or being fragile, it is really all about nothing.

Unless Dusty's lying (which is possible I suppose), this is not an isolated incident.

dougdirt
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
So he has had two leg issues by the age of 21 that have led to him missing 3 regular season games and 1 spring training game and now his legs are going to fall apart in the future?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1377/855554308_c8a16fab9a.jpg

Falls City Beer
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Considering how vehemently Dusty's been panned for destroying pitchers' careers, you'd think folks would be okay with him protecting a hitter who's a touch glassy (and who could have netted the Reds a bonafide ace for the first time since Jose Rijo).

Heath
03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Considering how vehemently Dusty's been panned for destroying pitchers' careers, you'd think folks would be okay with him protecting a hitter who's a touch glassy (and who could have netted the Reds a bonafide ace for the first time since Jose Rijo).

..and considering how trading Bruce for Bedard could have blown up if Bedard gave up dinger after dinger, the glass-half-empty theory doesn't work here.

Falls City Beer
03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
..and considering how trading Bruce for Bedard could have blown up if Bedard gave up dinger after dinger, the glass-half-empty theory doesn't work here.

Trading a Bruce without injury issues is a bad move. I would pan a move like that. But now it seems, he does have injury issues. That softens my stance considerably on the level of risk involved in acquiring a 29 year old ace.

Ltlabner
03-03-2008, 02:01 PM

Love how one mention in a blog now has him labled as "gimpy" and "a touch glassy" and "has injury issues".

Maybe he has issues, maybe he doesn't. But come on FCB, you can keep repeating it untill you believe it, but that doesn't make it true. And if this blog post is your "proof" then...well....that's a major leap.

Falls City Beer
03-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Love how one mention in a blog now has him labled as "gimpy" and "a touch glassy".

Maybe he has issues, maybe he doesn't. But come on FCB, you can keep repeating it untill you believe it, but that doesn't make it true.

It came from the manager. I'd say he's a pretty solid authority. If it were Rosenthal, I wouldn't be concerned.

Ltlabner
03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
It came from the manager. I'd say he's a pretty solid authority. If it were Rosenthal, I wouldn't be concerned.

Great...we'll hear this now as if it's the gospel truth for the next few months.

reds44
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
So he has had two leg issues by the age of 21 that have led to him missing 3 regular season games and 1 spring training game and now his legs are going to fall apart in the future?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1377/855554308_c8a16fab9a.jpg
Dusty is the one who said it was something to be concerned about.

Falls City Beer
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Great...we'll hear this now as if it's the gospel truth for the next few months.

So Dusty's lying?

If he clarifies his statement, I'll think differently. But what I'm going on is that Bruce gets injured by running. That, folks, is not good.

Ltlabner
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
If he clarifies his statement, I'll think differently. But what I'm going on is that Bruce gets injured by running. That, folks, is not good.

Cool...so EVERY player who's ever tweeked a hammy by running automatically "gets injured by running"?

Please. Cause for concern and interest without a doubt, but you are completley blowing this out of proportion and morphing it into something without any basis in facts.

Screwball
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:9_UJUwAbompd1M:http://atomicpop.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/army_squirrel.jpg

I feel like this is getting blown out of proportion. As Doug noted, Bruce hasn't shown any tendency to be injury prone. This mild quad strain is of some concern of course, but not enough to lament not trading him for Erik Bedard, IMO.

Falls City Beer
03-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Cool...so EVERY player who's ever tweeked a hammy by running automatically "gets injured by running"?

Please. Cause for concern and interest without a doubt, but you are completley blowing this out of proportion and morphing it into something without any basis in facts.

I'm not a doctor; I'm not making a prognosis. However, I think it's worth mentioning that non-contact injuries tend to recur. Maybe he'll be a JD Drew/Chipper Jones--in which case, I can live with the injuries.

Cooper
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
20 year olds don't know how to take care of their body's. He'll figure some stuff out -learn a little from vets and he'll be fine. At the very least, Dusty sounds like he is looking out for him.

princeton
03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
20 year olds don't know how to take care of their body's. He'll figure some stuff out -learn a little from vets and he'll be fine.

Jr: "Son, stop all that running. You'll hurt yourself out there"

Dunn: "Always play heavy"

kbrake
03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Real games really need to start. It's getting crazy around here.

remdog
03-03-2008, 02:52 PM
If anyone out there knows about 'big bodies' it's C. Trent! :lol:

FCB: We are both a bit (well, you a lot :) ) pessimistic about this team but jumping off a bridge over the #1 prospect in all of baseball having a 'slight' quad strain early in ST is a little overboard, don't ya' think? :)

Rem

edabbs44
03-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Trading a Bruce without injury issues is a bad move. I would pan a move like that. But now it seems, he does have injury issues. That softens my stance considerably on the level of risk involved in acquiring a 29 year old ace.

Bedard isn't the picture of health either.

PuffyPig
03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Jr: "Son, stop all that running. You'll hurt yourself out there"

Dunn: "Always play heavy"

It's not often I laugh out loud from anything on this board.

But the last sentence made me do it.

fearofpopvol1
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Bedard isn't the picture of health either.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Bedard's health is by far a bigger question mark right now. It's really not even debateble at this point.

RedsBaron
03-03-2008, 03:59 PM

I would regard Harang to be as much of an "ace' as Bedard. Mine you, I wish the Reds had Bedard, but I wouldn't say he is more of a bonafide ace than Harang. In 2006 Harang went 16-11 with an adjusted ERA of 124, 234 innings pitched and 216 Ks. Bedard's comparable numbers in 2006 were 15-11, 121, 196, 171. In 2007 Harang went 16-6 ith an adjusted ERA of 125, 231 innings pitched and 218 Ks. Bedard had numbers of 13-5, 146, 182 and 221.

REDREAD
03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Well, in 2-3 years, when he's traded, the justification can be that he's fragile ;)

REDREAD
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm not a doctor; I'm not making a prognosis. However, I think it's worth mentioning that non-contact injuries tend to recur. Maybe he'll be a JD Drew/Chipper Jones--in which case, I can live with the injuries.

Heck, I'm worried until he starts playing again.

Gonzo's "bruise" turned into a fracture.
Kearn's "blister" needed surgery.

Bruce might need his leg amputated in a couple of weeks. :lol:

Unassisted
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Jay says he's "ready for the big leagues" now. If that's true, he'll need to play in CF.

http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=7958011&nav=menu32_4

20-year-old minor league prospect says he's ready for big leagues

Associated Press - March 3, 2008 2:55 PM ET

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - Jay Bruce hit .325 in a stint with Class A Sarasota last season, then .333 with AA Chattanooga and .305 with AAA Louisville.

The 20-year-old says now he's ready for the majors. Bruce says the proof are the hits he has scored in all five Reds spring games that he's been in.

He even batted leadoff yesterday, but had to leave the game after the second inning with a mild strain of the left quadriceps.

Manager Dusty Baker says he's concerned, because Bruce has had the problem more than once.

If the young player is to stay with Cincinnati this season, it would have to be as starting center fielder and leadoff batter, roles that may be more ideally suited to Ryan Freel or Norris Hopper.

Ltlabner
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
If the young player is to stay with Cincinnati this season, it would have to be as starting center fielder and leadoff batter, roles that may be more ideally suited to Ryan Freel or Norris Hopper.

Urgh....is it written in stone that CF is the leadoff guy ?

Heath
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Urgh....is it written in stone that CF is the leadoff guy ?

Ask Eric Wedge.

Sea Ray
03-03-2008, 04:30 PM

I agree. I can't believe all this panic. He felt a little tightness in his leg. Any athlete has gone through such an event. It's Spring Training and they're being very cautious. No big deal

SunDeck
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Quad injuries are pretty common when a person isn't in shape. It concerns me that he has this because it means he's probably a little soft. He needs to take it easy for a while and the team needs to get him on a strength and stretch routine. Someone said here that twenty year olds don't know how to take care of themselves. I would agree to an extent, except that I think they just don't know how important it is to focus on keeping the body in shape for the long season of major league baseball. It is not just a game of skill and technique, but also of managing a long and grueling season.

It's likely this won't be an issue at all in about a month, but I sure would prefer it if the guy came into camp in top shape rather than having to play into shape.

Highlifeman21
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Ask Eric Wedge.

I wish we had his CF.

Boy would that solve plenty of problems around these parts.

Kc61
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
I still say Bruce is slated to be Griffey's replacement in right field. I don't see him as a major league center fielder, just like I didn't see Hamilton in that position. Bruce might suffice in center, but he won't be a plus guy there defensively; he might be in right.

I also think he has very little chance of starting with the Reds out of spring training. If he's in less than top shape, or slightly injured, it's even less likely.

Playing the outfield for 162 major league games is a grind. A player should be ready to handle that in terms of his skills, his physical condition, his maturity. My guess is that Dickerson has a better chance of sticking out of spring training than does Bruce.

Bruce will be a stupendous player IMO. I saw a replay of that double yesterday; he just flat can hit. But it takes more to be a day-in day-out major league starting player and my guess is that Bruce's time won't start until mid-season, unless Griffey gets hurt sooner than that.

*BaseClogger*
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I also think he has very little chance of starting with the Reds out of spring training. If he's in less than top shape, or slightly injured, it's even less likely.

Playing the outfield for 162 major league games is a grind. A player should be ready to handle that in terms of his skills, his physical condition, his maturity. My guess is that Dickerson has a better chance of sticking out of spring training than does Bruce.

Not to call you out specifically, but what makes playing in the major leagues day in and day out more demanding than playing in the minors everyday? Seems to me the big leaguers get pampered and have more off days...

Sea Ray
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Fans will panic over all sorts of things. I can recall last year in April and May all the buzz around these parts was that Aaron Harang was hiding a shoulder problem. It's always something.

I heard on WLW after the game yesterday "what do you think of Jay Bruce's injury?" I was thinking how bad was he hurt? Was is a broken bone? A knee injury? A pulled muscle where he reports "a pop"? No. He felt some tightness in his quad. I don't even call this an injury. It's a sore muscle.

dougdirt
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Not to call you out specifically, but what makes playing in the major leagues day in and day out more demanding than playing in the minors everyday? Seems to me the big leaguers get pampered and have more off days...

When it starts to catch up to them is in September when minor leaguers are done with the season. Before then, I am with you. Major Leaguers get to travel by plane (only AAA teams travel by plane), have better equipment and trainers among other things.

*BaseClogger*
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
When it starts to catch up to them is in September when minor leaguers are done with the season. Before then, I am with you. Major Leaguers get to travel by plane (only AAA teams travel by plane), have better equipment and trainers among other things.

Bruce, and top minor leaguers like him, will be "grinding it out" with the Reds in September...

Vada Pinson Fan
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't see it as something to get all worked up or overly concerned about. We're still getting to know Dusty so I temper what I read concerning him for now. Ultimately, I think Jay Bruce would be better situated for a COF spot. I thought so when I watched him play for the Dragons. JB is very much a Larry Walker type player to me but b/c of Bruce's youth he can play CF for now w/o too much worry (hopefully). It'll be interesting to hear or read if Dr.K is allowed to say anything about Bruce and his current condition.

OnBaseMachine
03-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Um, isn't this his first hurt in the spring?

And, this is his first spring under a huge microscope?

And we're already throwing him under the bus?

Is it me, or is it that bad around here?

It's not just you. Guy is taken out as a precaution and now he's an injury prone as Griffey. It's simply amazing sometimes...

Falls City Beer
03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Bruce has been hurt more than once--apparently on non-contact injuries. It's entirely possible it's nothing. But it's entirely possible that it's not nothing.

OnBaseMachine
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Funny that people mention Erik Bedard. The guy has made 30+ starts in a season only once in four seasons.

Unassisted
03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Perhaps the title of this thread falls under the "careful what you wish for" category, now that the signing of Corey Patterson has been announced. ;)

cincrazy
03-03-2008, 08:31 PM

Dusty tends to blow things out of proportion. Witness, "Kent Mercker is throwing the ball better than ever." If his legs were that much of a problem, they sure as heck haven't stopped him from wrecking the minor leagues and becoming the minor league player of the year

reds44
03-03-2008, 08:34 PM
It's not just you. Guy is taken out as a precaution and now he's an injury prone as Griffey. It's simply amazing sometimes...
I don't thin anybody is saying he is injury prone. I think, at least was Dusty was saying, is that it's disconcerning he's had these nagging injuries at a young age. They could lead to something down the line.

Kc61
03-03-2008, 08:34 PM

Minor leagues are a grind as well. But the expectations of the player are different. He can be young, growing, immature, unfinished, whatever. It is a learning experience.

At the major league level there's a 162 game grind with very high expectations and far more scrutiny from the press, the fans, your teammates.

For a player like Bruce, who will play every day, I think the Reds will hold him back until they think he is ready to handle 162 major league games. Calling him up and letting him watch from the bench is not a realistic option.

So I'm guessing he starts at Louisville.

membengal
03-03-2008, 08:40 PM
So...Dusty lays the groundwork to make sure that Hopper/Freel are the opening day CFs by worrying needlessly over the youngster who is having a fine spring and some folks start to wonder just how "injury-prone" the youngster is?

Aronchis
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
So...Dusty lays the groundwork to make sure that Hopper/Freel are the opening day CFs by worrying needlessly over the youngster who is having a fine spring and some folks start to wonder just how "injury-prone" the youngster is?

I agree. This whole article is a hoot. They don't want Bruce to get entrenched at CF. It is clear they want a defensiveman at CF. Which is why Dickerson is getting patted alot on the back and baseclogger Patterson was signed.

The Reds love stabbing thyself alot.

remdog
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
I've never thought of Bruce as 'injury prone'. Where did this thought come from?

Can someone document all of these 'injuries' that he's had since he's signed a professional contract?

Rem

RedsBaron
03-04-2008, 07:10 AM
I hope the Reds regular starting lineup in April has Bruce in centerfield and Votto at first base....but that's not what I expect at this point unfortunately.

BRM
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Per Fay.

Bruce clears things up with Dusty

Jay Bruce visited with Dusty Baker to clear things up today. Bruce wanted his manager to know he hasn't had leg "problems."

"As far as professional baseball, I missed three or four games at the end of the year with a hamstring," he said. "I played 133 games last year. In Dayton (in 2006), I missed one game."

He missed the game in Dayton with a quad problem, but it was a bruise that was the result of breaking a bat over his knee leg.

"That was stupid thing to do," Bruce said. "We were messing around. I haven't had any problems with my legs"

Bruce was able to jog today for the first time since mildly straining his left quad Sunday.

"It's much better," he said. "I can do everything but a full-out sprint."

Bruce was not concerned about the how the addition of Corey Patterson will affect him.

"He's been in the big leagues for eight years," Bruce said. "So he's a good player. But we've had competition in camp all along. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing."

princeton
03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
he'll fit in here. people used to break bats across Pete Rose's legs, too.

remdog
03-04-2008, 12:59 PM
That pretty much answers the question that I've been asking. And, the answer IMO, is that Bruce is not injury prone and anyone tagging him as that at this point (including Dusty) isn't really paying attention.

This idea of tagging someone as 'injury prone' over some minor soreness early in ST is how some players get stuck with a bad rep.

Rem

membengal
03-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I wish Dusty would consider that, but I truly think he is just finding a way to shuttle Bruce to AAA for now Patterson/Freel or Patterson/Hopper in CF. Only way we see Bruce is when Jr. gets hurt. If Bruce has a bang up spring, they will need some excuse to send him to Louisville, so perhaps a trumped up and fictitious concern over leg injuries and him needing time to work into the season will be what they will use.

Cyclone792
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Per Fay.

Good call on Bruce's part.

Problem is, I'd like to know why Dusty's already running his mouth to the media about phantom leg injuries without even apparently discussing the issue with Bruce himself. It's rather obvious that if Baker had discussed this with Bruce before running his mouth to the media then it'd have been a non-issue that none of us would have even heard about.

dabvu2498
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
He missed the game in Dayton with a quad problem, but it was a bruise that was the result of breaking a bat over his knee leg.

Over his what???

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Over his what???

His knee leg. Can't you read?! :p:

Reds Nd2
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
His knee leg. Can't you read?! :p:

Sounds like Jay Bruce may have worse problems than a tight quad.

KoryMac5
03-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Breaking bats over his leg, sounds like Bruce is a bit of a head case with a bad temper. :p:

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Since Bruce has to be somewhere between Rambo and Rocky (without any of the crying) on the baseball field in order to make up for missing out on a Bedard contention window, my stern recommendation is for him not to play at breaking bats over his leg. In fact, any other nonsense like that sees him riding the pine for the next 10 games.

Still, I despise injuries brought on by running.

ramp101
03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
That is from Trent.

I understand if we keep him in CF this year because there is an opening, but if Griffey or Dunn go down we need to get him out of center field. When Griffey and/or Dunn is most likely gone after this year, we need to move him to RF. This guy has too much talent, has too big of a body, and has too much talent to put that kind of pressure on his legs. As soon as we get the chance, he needs to be in a COF spot.

hehe... he has alot of talent

Sea Ray
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Anybody else see the last line in today's (Enquirer) article by Shannon Russell on Dickerson? The last line is from Baker talking about Chris Dickerson, "His ceiling may be higher than anybody here."

Right Dusty...

blumj
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Good call on Bruce's part.

Problem is, I'd like to know why Dusty's already running his mouth to the media about phantom leg injuries without even apparently discussing the issue with Bruce himself. It's rather obvious that if Baker had discussed this with Bruce before running his mouth to the media then it'd have been a non-issue that none of us would have even heard about.
I'd imagine that Dusty didn't want it to be a non-issue that nobody heard about. Unless he just says anything that pops into his head without thinking.

BRM
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
From Baker, per C. Trent:

On Jay Bruce, who went to Baker saying he's ready: I was hoping he would. I like that. He wants to play, that's why we're here.

princeton
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Baker talking about Chris Dickerson, "His ceiling may be higher than anybody here."

is that Dusty talking about Chris Dickerson?

or is it Sparky talking about Chris Pittaro?

membengal
03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Point to Princeton for the phenomenal Sparky/Pittaro reference. My grandfather lived in Detroit his whole life before passing, and as a result I spent many summers following the Tigers as my "AL team" when I was a kid. Listening to Ernie Harwell on summer nights on Lake Michigan is among my best memories.

At any rate, I was up there one spring, and will never forget the Pittaro love from Sparky. I have never seen anything like it, not since, and not before. Pittaro, based on how Sparky talked about him, should have his own wing in the Hall of Fame at this point.

Spitball
03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Point to Princeton for the phenomenal Sparky/Pittaro reference. My grandfather lived in Detroit his whole life before passing, and as a result I spent many summers following the Tigers as my "AL team" when I was a kid. Listening to Ernie Harwell on summer nights on Lake Michigan is among my best memories.

At any rate, I was up there one spring, and will never forget the Pittaro love from Sparky. I have never seen anything like it, not since, and not before. Pittaro, based on how Sparky talked about him, should have his own wing in the Hall of Fame at this point.

Sparky also raved about Torey Lovullo, "There's nothing he can't do..." Except, maybe play baseball.

On the Bruce to a corner discussion, I think it would be a good idea. Freddy Lynn and Eric Davis were two of the most exciting young players I ever witnessed. Both were great offensive players, but it was their play in the field that impressed me most. Unfortunely, both were labeled injury prone. IMO, centerfield took too much out of both of them. If Bruce is the next great Red offensive threat, I'd rather he play right.

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2008, 08:21 PM
People really jumped the gun on Dusty's comment (as did Dusty). Glad to see Bruce set him straight.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
People really jumped the gun on Dusty's comment (as did Dusty). Glad to see Bruce set him straight.

I'd say Trent's as much to blame for not doing his homework. Still, while it may be premature to call him injury-prone, it's not incorrect to say that he's had some minor league injuries, plural.

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Its also the fault of some posters on here who took Baker's word as fact without doing any research themselves on the subject.

FCB you are right, Bruce has had a few 'injuries'. He had a slight shoulder issue toward the end of 2006 in Dayton after diving for a ball in early August (but played through it despite hitting like crap). Then last year he missed the last 3 games of the season with the hamstring injury.

I think its tough to find any player who hasn't had something like that happen to them.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I think its tough to find any player who hasn't had something like that happen to them.

Dunn.

VR
03-04-2008, 09:53 PM
is that Dusty talking about Chris Dickerson?

or is it Sparky talking about Chris Pittaro?

that was scary. I really felt bad for the kid.

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Dunn.

Dunn didn't play the last 6 games of the 2007 season because of a knee injury. Thats twice as many as Bruce missed because of his leg injury last year. Then we can't forget about 2003 where he missed the last month and a half of the season.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Dunn didn't play the last 6 games of the 2007 season because of a knee injury. Thats twice as many as Bruce missed because of his leg injury last year.

Dude, I'm talking about as a 20-21 year old kid. I don't expect every player to be healthy all the time, but I do expect a 21 year old not to ever get non-contact injuries. That's just not good.

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Dude, I'm talking about as a 20-21 year old kid. I don't expect every player to be healthy all the time, but I do expect a 21 year old not to ever get non-contact injuries. That's just not good.

We are talking about 3 games last year. 3. And now what, 2 or 3 games in spring training where if it were the regular season he likely would have played today? Sounds like you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
We are talking about 3 games last year. 3. And now what, 2 or 3 games in spring training where if it were the regular season he likely would have played today? Sounds like you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I assure you that the Reds front office isn't being as cavalier about it as you are.

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh, and for the record, Adam Dunn missed nearly 50 games as a 19 year old and over 15 as a 20 year old. Couldn't tell you what for, but he wasn't exactly the model of consistency as a young gun himself.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh, and for the record, Adam Dunn missed nearly 50 games as a 19 year old and over 15 as a 20 year old. Couldn't tell you what for, but he wasn't exactly the model of consistency as a young gun himself.

Thumb stuff. As a result of game action.

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I assure you that the Reds front office isn't being as cavalier about it as you are.

I imagine the Reds are nowhere near to freakout mode that you are. They are probably around the 'hey Jay, give yourself a few more minutes of stretching over the next few weeks' mode.

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Thumb stuff. As a result of game action.

Both years?

What kind of thumb stuff, how did it happen in game?

Highlifeman21
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM

But he's exactly been the model of consistency since being called up.

Hopefully any leg issues Bruce has now disappear by the time he's officially up for good.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I imagine the Reds are nowhere near to freakout mode that you are. They are probably around the 'hey Jay, give yourself a few more minutes of stretching over the next few weeks' mode.

I'm not freaking out; believe me. I no longer have have pain sensors when it comes to this team.

But the Reds have put a huge percentage of the future of this ballclub on Bruce's shoulders as a result of not trading him for a sure thing. Krivsky is likely popping heart meds and Peptos with alacrity.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Both years?

What kind of thumb stuff, how did it happen in game?

All it says is a "fractured thumb." I'm assuming you don't get those by running out a base hit.

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 10:15 PM
All it says is a "fractured thumb." I'm assuming you don't get those by running out a base hit.

A fractured thumb kept him out decent chunks of two different seasons? Must have been one heck of a break.

Falls City Beer
03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
A fractured thumb kept him out decent chunks of two different seasons? Must have been one heck of a break.

I only know about the age 20 season. As I believe he was still doing the football thing during most of the age 19 season.

dougdirt
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I only know about the age 20 season. As I believe he was still doing the football thing during most of the age 19 season.

Thats likely it, he probably got a late start to the season.

Jpup
03-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Didn't Dunn play with a broken hand for a while in '06?

wheels
03-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Didn't Dunn play with a broken hand for a while in '06?

No.

He broke his thumb during a game, stayed in, homered to win it.

What a gutless, lazy, malingerer.

RANDY IN INDY
03-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Keep perpetuating it and it will never go away. Why does this have to come up, every time Dunn is mentioned? I don't get it.

KronoRed
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
It's mocking those who said it about Dunn every day for 5 years but in seriousness.

They deserve to be mocked.

wheels
03-05-2008, 03:08 PM
It's mocking those who said it about Dunn every day for 5 years but in seriousness.

Yup.

Raisor
03-05-2008, 04:11 PM

Wait, there's mocking going on, and I'm missing it?

Now I'm going to have to go back and read the rest of this thread. Thanks a lot Krono.

BRM
03-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Wait, there's mocking going on, and I'm missing it?

Now I'm going to have to go back and read the rest of this thread. Thanks a lot Krono.

Don't worry Raisor. You're still the King Mocker around these parts.

Raisor
03-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Don't worry Raisor. You're still the King Mocker around these parts.

I remember, like four years ago, where I'd get into long statistical discussions, and actually use my brain and stuff. I discovered it's much easier to mock and snark.

You know, like Puffy.

RANDY IN INDY
03-06-2008, 07:58 AM

It's getting to be every bit as tired an act.

M2
03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Sparky also raved about Torey Lovullo, "There's nothing he can't do..." Except, maybe play baseball.

Lovullo's turned out to be a fine manager and Pittaro's a lead scout with the A's. Maybe Sparky secretly had an eye for post playing days talent.

If so, hire Milt Cuyler, stat.