PDA

View Full Version : Davey Lopes battling cancer

Unassisted
03-04-2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_8447227

Phils coach Lopes battling cancer

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Philadelphia first base coach Davey Lopes has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, and Phillies officials said he was expected to make a full recovery.

The former Milwaukee Brewers manager will have surgery this month and is expected to miss six weeks after that.
Lopes' cancer was found after he went through a routine examination with the rest of the coaching staff on Feb.12, two days before pitchers and catchers reported to camp.

"Of course what Davey has is very serious, but the doctor feels like everything is going to be fine," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said after the Phillies beat Pittsburgh 3-1 Monday. "The medical department feels like ... everything is going to work out for him — he's just going to miss some time."

The 62-year-old Lopes is entering his second season with the Phillies coaching staff. Lopes was manager of the Brewers from 2000-02. A former four-time All-Star, he played 21/2 seasons with the A's in the early 1980s after 10 years with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Joseph
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
I'll be pulling for Davey. I liked him when I was a kid for some reason.

cumberlandreds
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I really hate to hear that. I always liked him even though he played for the Dodgers. The reason I'm sure is, that I have a home run ball of his that he hit 7/1/1973. He hit it off Fred Norman in game one of that doubleheader. We were setting the first row of the green seats in LF. The ball deflected off my oldest brother's hands, into my brother-in-law's lap. Since I was the punk little kid of the family they let me have the baseball. My best wishes for Lopes and hope he's back to coaching soon.

Chip R
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Never did like Lopes but I hope he does make a full recovery.

Team Clark
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I like Davey. Always liked his style. I have had the great fortune to sit with him and talk a little baseball. Wish I could have taped that conversation. I learned more about baserunning in 10 minutes than I could ever possibly rememeber.

KronoRed
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Agreed

Always Red
03-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I really hated (nope, not too strong of a word) all of those old Dodgers of the 70's- Lopes, Garvey, Cey, Russell, BAKER, Reggie Smith, and especially LaSorda. I liked Walter Alston- classy guy, as I recall. But only because they were so good, and were usually neck and neck with the BRM for the NL West title. They were a nearly great bunch who were overshadowed by the Reds.

I'll be rooting for Davey Lopes this time.

Unassisted
04-20-2008, 11:32 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20080420_Phillies_Notes__Recovering_Lopes_pays_a_v isit_to_team.html

Phillies Notes: Recovering Lopes pays a visit to team

Davey Lopes showed up at Citizens Bank Park yesterday, a little more than a month after undergoing successful surgery for prostate cancer.

Lopes said he hopes to rejoin the team as its first-base coach possibly before the end of the month.

"It was a shock at first, obviously," he said before yesterday's 4-2 loss to the New York Mets. "Anytime you hear something like that - I don't care who you are - you realize how short a time you have on earth. You take a lot of things for granted. I was lucky in that they caught it early."

Lopes had robotic surgery to remove the cancer, which was caught during the team's annual physicals this spring in Clearwater, Fla.

"I was scared," he said. "Shocked. Disbelief. But you know that it's there. In February the previous year, I was fine. Thankfully, we do those tests every year."

Now that he feels better, Lopes said he is eager to return to the field. He has missed the action.

"It's something I've done since 1968, so when you have something taken away from you, even if it is for a short period of time, you do miss it," he said. "I spent an extra four weeks in Florida [recovering from the surgery]. Nice place, but I was ready to get out of there. I've been antsy."

VR
04-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Someone I work with was recently diagnosed. He was really shook up in the beginning, but as he learned more, it put his mind at ease.
This 'robotic' surgery is really amazing...and greatly improves success rates, as well as limits possibility of nerves being damaged in the one area you can't afford to have nerve damage!

Red in Chicago
04-20-2008, 11:53 AM

My thoughts exactly. Not only did I hate him, but of course, the entire Dodger team. I had a special hatred for the Dodger infield of Garvery, Lopes, Russell and Cey. Ugh. Then of course, there was that annoying outfielder named Dusty, oh don't even get me started ;)

That said, I do wish him a full recovery.

nate
04-20-2008, 01:09 PM
My Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had this same procedure in February. It was successful and he is currently cancer-free. However, the problem is that the prostate is one of two "sphincter" muscles that us men-folk have. It's also the one we use to "go" and, perhaps more importantly, "stop going." So, there are some undignified moments while one learns to compensate for this lack of control; my Dad says he's just now regaining a modicum of control.

Tony Cloninger
04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
The numbers he put up in his last few years with Chicago and HOU and a little with OAK would make the ....stats guy go...wow, wish we had some of that on this team. He was a good leadoff hitter.

I did not realize he had power until 1979 when he hit 28...I just remember him using Paul Moskau like a pinata a few times.

Matt700wlw
04-20-2008, 01:51 PM
All the best to Davey Lopes and his family