PDA

View Full Version : House hunting in Cincinnati...

justincredible
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
My girlfriend (soon to be fiance) and I are in the beginning stages of looking for a house. We have mostly looked at houses in the Oakley and Pleasant Ridge areas. We are also looking in the Hyde Park area if we can find something that we can afford.

My question is are there any other areas/suburbs of Cincinnati we should check out? We want to stay on the east side and don't really want to go any farther north than, say, Kenwood. We want to try and stay a quick drive down 71 from downtown since I work downtown and she works over in Covington.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

rotnoid
03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Not sure what kind of neighborhood you're looking for, but I'm living in the Mt. Carmel, Eastgate area right now. Quick trip up 471 and I'm downtown. Usually takes me 15-25 minutes to get from my house to downtown. We've been there for about 5 years. I can't complain much, but my wife is starting to long for the fresh air of the country, so we might head east. I'll probably try to work out some sort of work from home deal if that happens.

SunDeck
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
My girlfriend (soon to be fiance) and I are in the beginning stages of looking for a house. We have mostly looked at houses in the Oakley and Pleasant Ridge areas. We are also looking in the Hyde Park area if we can find something that we can afford.

My question is are there any other areas/suburbs of Cincinnati we should check out? We want to stay on the east side and don't really want to go any farther north than, say, Kenwood. We want to try and stay a quick drive down 71 from downtown since I work downtown and she works over in Covington.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

No kids involved I presume? Then I would consider "East" Hyde Park and even some parts of Madisonville.

You mentioned Hyde Park- have you looked at Mt. Lookout or Columbia Tusculum?

North Avondale? Great homes and some really nice pockets. A friend just bought a place in the Red Bud Hills addition. There are a lot of wonderful homes scattered among all the freaking mansions.

Clifton? If I didn't have kids I'd probably pick Clifton. Gaslight is nice, but it's hard to find a place to buy that is affordable and not cut up into apartments. But the area behind Keller's IGA, the whole hill on the west side of Clifton Ave. has some great houses, all the way, across MLK including Riddle, Marshall, Probasco, etc. And Fairview is a quaint little pocket of Clifton, too.

As far as Oakley goes, that's a great place. Consider Norwood, too. I know- Norwood just sounds bad, but it's got a lot of similarity to Oakley. And I'll bet it's a lot cheaper than Oakley (which used to always be listed as "Hyde Park Near" before it became tony in its own right).

justincredible
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
No kids, correct. We plan on waiting another 4 years or so before we start having any. The one thing that is kind of hindering our search is that she is very picky on the area. We found a really nice house in Madisonville but when we drove through she thought the area seemed kind of sketchy.

SunDeck
03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
No kids, correct. We plan on waiting another 4 years or so before we start having any. The one thing that is kind of hindering our search is that she is very picky on the area. We found a really nice house in Madisonville but when we drove through she thought the area seemed kind of sketchy.

I think you have to have a high tolerance for urban problems if you choose to live in Madisonville. Unfortunately, the neighborhood shows little signs of any renewal.

And if you plan on having kids in four years, then think hard about where you are when they hit the schools. We absolutely were not going to stay within the city limits with school age kids.

westofyou
03-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Move closer to Mariemont from there and check Madison Place.

justincredible
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I think you have to have a high tolerance for urban problems if you choose to live in Madisonville. Unfortunately, the neighborhood shows little signs of any renewal.

And if you plan on having kids in four years, then think hard about where you are when they hit the schools. We absolutely were not going to stay within the city limits with school age kids.

We were planning on moving within 5-7 years anyway, so it would be well before our kids would be of school age. Then we would either head up to the Mason/West Chester area or possibly head south towards the Carolina's. :)

MWM
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Madeira is a great area.

SunDeck
03-04-2008, 12:53 PM

That's probably the area I was thinking of- thanks WOY.
Forgot about Mariemont. Are Terrace Park and Milford too far out? I like Milford.

justincredible
03-04-2008, 12:53 PM

We have actually started finding some houses to look at in Madison Place. We have heard the area is nice.

westofyou
03-04-2008, 12:58 PM
That's probably the area I was thinking of- thanks WOY.
Forgot about Mariemont. Are Terrace Park and Milford too far out? I like Milford.

I know many a folk who bought their first home in MP... of course all of them went to Mariemont and the thought of ever leaving the area was too daunting to face.

SunDeck
03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
of course all of them went to Mariemont and the thought of ever leaving the area was too daunting to face.

I thought that was Fairfax.

westofyou
03-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I thought that was Fairfax.

I plenty who did the first plunge there as well.

GoReds33
03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I do like Milford. It's a little ways from the city. Probably 30 minutes or so. It's a great place to raise a kid. They have a good school district. It's like a little city, in the middle of the country.

Dom Heffner
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Not sure what kind of neighborhood you're looking for, but I'm living in the Mt. Carmel, Eastgate area right now. Quick trip up 471 and I'm downtown. Usually takes me 15-25 minutes to get from my house to downtown. We've been there for about 5 years. I can't complain much, but my wife is starting to long for the fresh air of the country, so we might head east. I'll probably try to work out some sort of work from home deal if that happens.

My old stomping grounds. I can remember when Eastgate Mall was a field.

As far as the move east goes- I would steer clear of Williamsburg (though- or because- I spent some brief high school time there.

Mt. Orab or further east is true country. I used to hop on 32 and ride my motorcycle out past there- maybe to Sardinha (?).

Beautiful and green during the Summer. Those were the days.

justincredible
03-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Anyone know the story on Walnut Hills?

westofyou
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Anyone know the story on Walnut Hills?
Chili went to WHHS I believe... so did Miller Huggins

SunDeck
03-05-2008, 01:12 PM
East Walnut Hills has some okay pockets. My dad and I used to own a building near Purcell. At the time we saw some other renovations happening there and it seemed like a good investment. The improvement is coming, but slowly and in fits and starts. For what that's worth, I personally think the De Sales corner area is about the coolest couple blocks in the city. If some sanity could ever get a two hold at Peebles corner, Walnut Hills could have a lot of potential. But we didn't see it in the ten years we owned our building.

IIRC, the city is working on that area with some tax incentives, so it is on someone's radar.

Anyway, as for Walnut Hills, I think the parts that merge into Hyde Park or along the riverview (E. Macmillan) are holding their value nicely.

rotnoid
03-05-2008, 01:35 PM
My old stomping grounds. I can remember when Eastgate Mall was a field.

As far as the move east goes- I would steer clear of Williamsburg (though- or because- I spent some brief high school time there.

Mt. Orab or further east is true country. I used to hop on 32 and ride my motorcycle out past there- maybe to Sardinha (?).

Beautiful and green during the Summer. Those were the days.

Mt Orab's changed a lot in the last decade. It's the new Eastgate these days. I can remember when the exit ramp there was nothing but field, now there are countless restaurants, shops, even a Kroger. If we get that far east, I'll definitely work from home, not a fan of an hour plus commute to the city every day.

westofyou
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Mt Orab's changed a lot in the last decade. It's the new Eastgate these days. I can remember when the exit ramp there was nothing but field, now there are countless restaurants, shops, even a Kroger. If we get that far east, I'll definitely work from home, not a fan of an hour plus commute to the city every day.

However.. it's pretty close to Withamsville and I know a place there you can get a fried baloney sandwich and chips for about $4

vaticanplum
03-05-2008, 01:42 PM
East Walnut Hills has some okay pockets. My dad and I used to own a building near Purcell. At the time we saw some other renovations happening there and it seemed like a good investment. The improvement is coming, but slowly and in fits and starts. For what that's worth, I personally think the De Sales corner area is about the coolest couple blocks in the city. If some sanity could ever get a two hold at Peebles corner, Walnut Hills could have a lot of potential. But we didn't see it in the ten years we owned our building.

IIRC, the city is working on that area with some tax incentives, so it is on someone's radar.

Anyway, as for Walnut Hills, I think the parts that merge into Hyde Park or along the riverview (E. Macmillan) are holding their value nicely.

My family is originally from Walnut Hills. It is building up slowly. Handfuls of condos and small cafes and clothing shops and so on. Probably not a bad place to invest right now; I would think the potential of increasing value is pretty good.

I live in Mt. Washington and I like it a lot. Great location with quick access to most everything (by car, that is -- I can walk to the grocery and the library but the walking-distance options are limited -- no Hyde Park Square, certainly). a good mix of people and architecture as well. Definitely a tradeoff of the cool factor (there is none) for great value. You will be hard-pressed to find a better deal within city limits. For that reason, there are a lot of young couples here.

I second the Norwood mention as well. Parts of Norwood look sketchy but are not, and there are hidden-away parts that are downright gorgeous (Indian Mound). That part of town is also a pretty good deal in a good location.

justincredible
03-05-2008, 01:53 PM
What streets should I be looking at in Norwood? I am not familiar with the Indian Mound but would like to check it out.

We found a great house in Hyde Park but it unfortunately has a pending offer on it.

Dom Heffner
03-05-2008, 02:24 PM
However.. it's pretty close to Withamsville and I know a place there you can get a fried baloney sandwich and chips for about $4

I lived right by Withamsville for 26 years and couldn't tell you where to get a sandwich like that.

I did, however, play knothole at WT park and remember that little ice cream place across the street where we would get treats if we won.

vaticanplum
03-05-2008, 02:35 PM
What streets should I be looking at in Norwood? I am not familiar with the Indian Mound but would like to check it out.

We found a great house in Hyde Park but it unfortunately has a pending offer on it.

Indian Mound is itself the name of a big (lovely and quiet) street off Montgomery with many smaller streets off it. Some that I can remember offhand are Cypress, Parmalee...well, that's it actually. I would recommend you mapquest directions and take a drive through the neighborhood. Just a really beautiful neighborhood with a wide range of houses and it's like 10 seconds from 71 and 5-10 minutes from Kenwood. Lindner Park is hidden in there too and that's a good place for short little hikes.

Pleasant Ridge borders Norwood and that would actually be a good place to look too. Bit more expensive I would think.

westofyou
03-05-2008, 02:36 PM
I lived right by Withamsville for 26 years and couldn't tell you where to get a sandwich like that.

Going east, right hand side... one block before the Church of Christ

justincredible
03-05-2008, 02:49 PM
vatican, thanks a ton for the suggestion. I am looking at some of the mls listings on those houses on Indian Mound and the like. There are some gorgeous houses and most are in our price range.

vaticanplum
03-05-2008, 02:57 PM
vatican, thanks a ton for the suggestion. I am looking at some of the mls listings on those houses on Indian Mound and the like. There are some gorgeous houses and most are in our price range.

No problem, if you end up moving there I will accept a 5% redszone realtor commission :)

Heath
03-05-2008, 03:13 PM
No problem, if you end up moving there I will accept a 5% redszone realtor commission :)

Or, she'll take Reds Tickets. Diamond Seats. She's a sucker for baseball games, I've been told. :D

justincredible
03-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Or, she'll take Reds Tickets. Diamond Seats. She's a sucker for baseball games, I've been told. :D

Speaking of Diamond Seats, anyone know when they go on sale?

SunDeck
03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Pleasant Ridge borders Norwood and that would actually be a good place to look too. Bit more expensive I would think.

My wife grew up in PR/Kennedy Heights. The area north of Montgomery between Ridge and Section is nice. Grand Vista Ave. has some stunning homes. But the real amenity is the nearness of French Park, one of my all time favorite places.

Jerry Narron
03-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Indian Hill is always a nice place to live.

GoReds33
03-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Indian Hill is always a nice place to live.You might need a couple million handy though.:D

Ltlabner
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm late to the party, but I'll throw another vote for Milford out there. I am biased but the area does offer a lot.

pedro
03-06-2008, 01:46 AM
It's not the hippest place but as a resident of Mariemont from 2nd through 8th grade I can only say that it was as perfect a place to be of that age that I could ever imagine. I walked to school, walked home for lunch, rode my bike to sports practices and the pool. Until I was in middle school and wanted to hang out with friends from Terrace Park my parents almost never had to drive me anywhere. I know for a fact that having grown up in that type of environment is why today I prefer to live in semi urban neighborhoods where there are sidewalks and I can ride my bike almost anywhere I want.

justincredible
03-06-2008, 09:21 AM
It looks like we have limited our searching areas to:

Hyde Park
Columbia/Tusculum
Oakley
and possibly Pleasant Ridge

So far my favorite house that we have looked at is in PR so if we don't end up going with it we will probably eliminate it from our search area.

cincinnati chili
03-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Chili went to WHHS I believe... so did Miller Huggins

Don't forget ESPN correspondent Ric Bucher and the Chicago 7's Jerry Rubin.

I went there from grades 7-9 before my mom moved us out of state. Great public school. It's a magnet school. Kids take a written test to get in and come from all over the city. I was bused in from Clifton. Some were bused from as far away as Western Hills (West) or Beachmont Levy (East)

That brings up a point. Someone said they wouldn't raise their kids in the city because of the public schools. I disagree because of Walnut Hills or the School for the Performing Arts. If your kids can pass the test to get into these schools, then they're just as good as just about any public school in Ohio. Relatedly, if your kid can't pass the written test to get into Walnut Hills (not exactly the California bar exam) more than likely one might want to scrounge up the money for private schooling/tutoring regardless of what neighborhood you're living in. I realize that there might be learning disabilities, test anxiety issues, etc involved. But for most kids, it's not that tough of a test considering the quality of the school.

As for the neighborhood of Walnut Hills, it's still VERY transitional. Some of the old mansions are in E. Walnut Hills and those blocks are gorgeous, but you also have some serious blight throughout most of it. I have a soft spot for the area, but you'd want to look closely at whatever block you buy on.

cincinnati chili
03-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Indian Mound is itself the name of a big (lovely and quiet) street off Montgomery with many smaller streets off it.

Damn how times have changed. My dad grew up on Indian Mound, and my grandparents stayed in the house until I was 8.

We used to make fun of him for being from Norwood. He'll be glad to know that it's a hot street now.

SunDeck
03-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Don't forget ESPN correspondent Ric Bucher and the Chicago 7's Jerry Rubin.

I went there from grades 7-9 before my mom moved us out of state. Great public school. It's a magnet school. Kids take a written test to get in and come from all over the city. I was bused in from Clifton. Some were bused from as far away as Western Hills (West) or Beachmont Levy (East)

That brings up a point. Someone said they wouldn't raise their kids in the city because of the public schools. I disagree because of Walnut Hills or the School for the Performing Arts. If your kids can pass the test to get into these schools, then they're just as good as just about any public school in Ohio. Relatedly, if your kid can't pass the written test to get into Walnut Hills (not exactly the California bar exam) more than likely one might want to scrounge up the money for private schooling/tutoring regardless of what neighborhood you're living in. I realize that there might be learning disabilities, test anxiety issues, etc involved. But for most kids, it's not that tough of a test considering the quality of the school.

I brought that up.

Walnut is a great school , no disagreement there (my wife went to SCPA and would disagree about that one, though), but the neighborhood school system in Cincinnati's real problem. For instance, we lived in Westwood and the neighborhood school was a nightmare. We would have had the choice of getting our kids into the Covedale Montessori school, but there was a preference for people from that neighborhood, so it went to a lottery system after that. Not only were we faced with getting our kids over to Covedale for school, but we weren't guaranteed they'd even get in.

In the end, we were faced with the problem you point out Chili- we could have paid the money to send our kids to St. Catherine's, then to Mercy and Elder, but that is not an option for hundreds of other families in our situation. Luckily for Cincinnati, there are great parochial schools; otherwise it's just Detroit.

cincinnati chili
03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
In the end, we were faced with the problem you point out Chili- we could have paid the money to send our kids to St. Catherine's, then to Mercy and Elder, but that is not an option for hundreds of other families in our situation. Luckily for Cincinnati, there are great parochial schools; otherwise it's just Detroit.

Fair enough. We don't have kids yet, but we will have similar concerns here in Denver when we look to buy in a couple years. Many of the suburban public schools are great. Most of the inner-city schools are not. Unfortunately, we don't like suburban living or commuting.

vaticanplum
03-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Damn how times have changed. My dad grew up on Indian Mound, and my grandparents stayed in the house until I was 8.

We used to make fun of him for being from Norwood. He'll be glad to know that it's a hot street now.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call it hot...I just think it's a great deal for the money. The pricing and location are hard to beat. I'm sure the residents still get made fun of from being from Norwood, but I like to think that they smile inside and go home to their beautiful houses with actual lawns that would cost four times as much on a dime-sized lot in Hyde Park :)

For the record I disagree about the education one gets at SCPA. I'm an ardent supporter of the arts and I believe them to be an intrinsic part of any education, but in the case of that school (and many performing arts schools), my impression is that the foundation in the liberal arts really suffers at the hands of the creative arts. We are lucky enough to live in a country where you don't have to be pigeonholed into a profession at age 16, and so I think the foundation at that age should be as broad and as strong as possible. But no matter how much someone may want to be a writer or a singer or a dancer at age 16, s/he might feel differently at 22 or 30 and so on (or in the case of a dancer, the body might have differend ideas), and my understanding is that SCPA grads leave pretty much thoroughly unprepared to do anything else. Just my impression from those I've known...I did not attend the school.

Walnut Hills, however, is a gem. Cincinnati is lucky to have it.

SunDeck
03-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call it hot...I just think it's a great deal for the money. The pricing and location are hard to beat. I'm sure the residents still get made fun of from being from Norwood, but I like to think that they smile inside and go home to their beautiful houses with actual lawns that would cost four times as much on a dime-sized lot in Hyde Park :)

Bingo, VP.
When we moved back to Cincinnati in '98 we looked at places on the east side (HP, Mt. Lookout mostly) and ended up buying a great bungalow in Westwood for about 2/3 the price of the same size house over on the East Side. And we lived in a neighborhood that was just as beautiful, neighborly (maybe more so) as any.

For the record I disagree about the education one gets at SCPA. I'm an ardent supporter of the arts and I believe them to be an intrinsic part of any education, but in the case of that school (and many performing arts schools), my impression is that the foundation in the liberal arts really suffers at the hands of the creative arts. We are lucky enough to live in a country where you don't have to be pigeonholed into a profession at age 16, and so I think the foundation at that age should be as broad and as strong as possible. But no matter how much someone may want to be a writer or a singer or a dancer at age 16, s/he might feel differently at 22 or 30 and so on (or in the case of a dancer, the body might have differend ideas), and my understanding is that SCPA grads leave pretty much thoroughly unprepared to do anything else. Just my impression from those I've known...I did not attend the school.

Walnut Hills, however, is a gem. Cincinnati is lucky to have it.

Same thing my wife says. She was fine arts at SCPA back in the early 80s. She said it was as if only the performers mattered. She called it the "Fame" effect.

justincredible
03-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, we think we found our house. We are going back to look at it tomorrow night with our realitor and hopefully be making an offer on it soon. It is in Hyde Park.

justincredible
03-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, we think we found our house. We are going back to look at it tomorrow night with our realitor and hopefully be making an offer on it soon. It is in Hyde Park.

We put in an offer on the house last night, so hopefully everything goes well.

westofyou
03-19-2008, 10:23 AM
We put in an offer on the house last night, so hopefully everything goes well.

So... is it near the square or closer to the cop station? I have several friends who live near the cop station on Erie.

justincredible
03-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Do you know where SCDS is located? It is very close to there. Not sure where the cop station is, but it is 1.1 miles from Hyde Park Square and 0.2 miles from O'Bryon's Pub (using google maps).

westofyou
03-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Do you know where SCDS is located? It is very close to there. Not sure where the cop station is, but it is 1.1 miles from Hyde Park Square and 0.2 miles from O'Bryon's Pub (using google maps).

I know exactly where that is... I had a good buddy who went to SCDS and played with Dexter Bailey 70's Cincy HS legend.

Good pub to be near too... good thai and indian food in that neighborhood too.

SunDeck
03-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Gotta listing to point us to? You really need to know if we approve.

justincredible
03-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Gotta listing to point us to? You really need to know if we approve.

Here you go, don't try and snake it away from us. :D

http://www.sibcycline.com/viewlisting.asp?mls=1111427&b=CIN&p=RESI&s=SFRD&m=1&sender=SearchResults

SunDeck
03-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Looks like a perdy darned nice house. Hope you land it.

justincredible
03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks. Just talked with our realtor and they have made a counter. They have upped the price we offered by $3,900 but will give us $3,000 for closing costs and they have also moved the closing date earlier. Looks like we might be homeowners soon. :)

SunDeck
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
So you made an offer on the old price? Tell your realtor to pay the other $900 for not knowing what the asking price was. And make them throw in a home warranty, which can't cost more than about $400.

Sorry- I can't help it. I am one of those people who loves this part of house buying.

rotnoid
03-19-2008, 12:34 PM
So you made an offer on the old price? Tell your realtor to pay the other $900 for not knowing what the asking price was. And make them throw in a home warranty, which can't cost more than about $400.

Sorry- I can't help it. I am one of those people who loves this part of house buying.

Beat me to it. I was going to suggest you ask for their dog too. Just throw in something ridiculous that you have no right to so they have to make the actual deal sweeter to keep it. :)

justincredible
03-19-2008, 12:43 PM
No, we made our offer on the currently listed price. I think I am confused as to what you guys are suggesting.

And I would ask for their dog, but the old lady won't allow me to have a big dog. :)

pedro
03-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Beautiful house!

It'd probably go for around $400,000 here in portland.

justincredible
03-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Beautiful house!

Thanks. I fell in love with it the minute I walked in the door. This may be a little silly, but one of the reasons I love it so much is because fireplace and woodwork throughout the house are essentially the exact same as in my mom's house. Just being inside of this house made me feel at home if for no other reason than it reminded me of the house I grew up in. Luckily my fiance liked it as much as I did. :)

pedro
03-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks. I fell in love with it the minute I walked in the door. This may be a little silly, but one of the reasons I love it so much is because fireplace and woodwork throughout the house are essentially the exact same as in my mom's house. Just being inside of this house made me feel at home if for no other reason than it reminded me of the house I grew up in. Luckily my fiance liked it as much as I did. :)

It's looks to be roughly the same era as my house (1911).

I have a front hallway that's very similar. I love old houses.

justincredible
03-19-2008, 03:44 PM
It's looks to be roughly the same era as my house (1911).

I have a front hallway that's very similar. I love old houses.

Yeah, it was built in 1908 or 1909. Mom's house was built in 1900.

Also, it apparently used to be a two family house.

WebScorpion
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
That is a beauty! Love the hardwood floors and the tub with feet! Just looks like a warm, cozy place and if you felt 'at home' that's what you look for in a house.

My first project would be remodeling the kitchen though...or at least putting in a ceramic tile floor. I'm a sucker for ceramic tile.

Seriously, congratulations! Hope you close soon and have many happy years there! :beerme:

justincredible
03-19-2008, 05:21 PM
My first project would be remodeling the kitchen though...or at least putting in a ceramic tile floor. I'm a sucker for ceramic tile.

That, as well as a granite counter top are already on the list. :)

klw
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
That, as well as a granite counter top are already on the list. :)

You should check under the floor that is in the kitchen. (It looks like vinyl in the pic) Our last house was a similar age. Below about 3 or 4 layers of vinyl was plywood then the original hardwoods. They were in good shape and after sanding and staining looked like new. You make also get lucky.

justincredible
05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I forgot all about this thread. Just an update, we close on that house next Thursday. We are very excited to move in, now we are just trying to find people to help us. It is weird how busy people get when you need help moving. :)