PDA

View Full Version : Redszone Community Prospect Vote #40

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #40 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher
Prospect 15 - Juan Francisco
Prospect 16 - Neftali Soto
Prospect 17 - Brandon Waring
Prospect 18 - Adam Rosales
Prospect 19 - Tyler Pelland
Prospect 20 - Daryl Thompson
Prospect 21 - Pedro Viola
Prospect 22 - Chris Valaika
Prospect 23 - Sam Lecure
Prospect 24 - Marcus McBeth
Prospect 25 - Justin Turner
Prospect 26 - Chris Dickerson
Prospect 27 - Scott Carroll
Prospect 28 - Richie Gardner
Prospect 29 - Justin Reed
Prospect 30 - Paul Janish
Prospect 31 - Alexander Smit
Prospect 32 - Danny Herrera
Prospect 33 - Zach Cozart
Prospect 34 - Tzu-Kai Chiu
Prospect 35 - Ramon Ramrirez
Prospect 36 - Derrik Lutz
Prospect 37 - Evan Hildenbrandt
Prospect 38 - Josh Ravin
Prospect 39 - Ben Jukich

AdamDunn
03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Juan Duran!!

New Fever
03-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Juan Duran also.

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Maybe its just me, but I don't think he should qualify for the list. Heck, I would go back and put him with Todd Frazier and Devin Mesoraco on my personal list. Since he wasn't in the system when the list started, I decided to not vote for him here.

Danny Serafini
03-05-2008, 11:44 AM
That high for a 16 year old kid? Based on what?

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
That high for a 16 year old kid? Based on what?

Based on everything we rank prospects on. Tools and potential ability. The Reds paid him 200,000 less than both Todd Frazier and Devin Mesoraco got last year combined. They obviously think enough of him to pay him the kind of money top 10 draft picks get at age 16, which tells me the kid is something absolutely special.

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 11:58 AM
For a reference point, Angel Villalona signed last year at age 16 for nearly identical money and came in, without playing a game, at #3 on the Giants Top 10 list behind Tim Lincecum and Jonathon Sanchez. Now obviously their system at the time wasn't as strong as ours is currently, but basically ask yourself where you would rank a Top 10 draft pick in your teams top 10 list, because that is essentially what we are talking about here.

Danny Serafini
03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
OK, what exactly are his tools and his abilities? What do we really know about the guy other than his signing bonus?

Will M
03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Other - Juan Duran

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 12:25 PM
OK, what exactly are his tools and his abilities? What do we really know about the guy other than his signing bonus?

Did you not read the Baseball America article from the other post?

We don't really know what his arm is, since it does appear that it has been injured lately.

However his power potential is an 80 (Jay Bruce for example rates out at a 65).

He has very good speed as well.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2008/265719.html

Go read the article if you haven't. Tons of stuff in there that just make you sit back and say wow.

Screwball
03-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Is there any active player that currently rates as an 80 power? Guys like Pujols, Ryan Howard, or A-Rod?

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Is there any active player that currently rates as an 80 power? Guys like Pujols, Ryan Howard, or A-Rod?

I would imagine those guys are at least 70 type guys.

kheidg-
03-05-2008, 01:24 PM
For sake of this being the last vote and 'other' meaning nothing, I am going with Jose Castro here.

camisadelgolf
03-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I've got the hots for Heisey on this one. It's a shame he's been over-shadowed by Dorn.

AdamDunn
03-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I would imagine those guys are at least 70 type guys.

If those guys aren't 70, then who in history qualifies as an 80?

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
If those guys aren't 70, then who in history qualifies as an 80?

I said AT LEAST.

Danny Serafini
03-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Did you not read the Baseball America article from the other post?

Nope, didn't see it. I tend to stay out of 115 post threads, my attention span isn't nearly that long. :laugh:

We don't really know what his arm is, since it does appear that it has been injured lately.

However his power potential is an 80 (Jay Bruce for example rates out at a 65).

He has very good speed as well.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2008/265719.html

Go read the article if you haven't. Tons of stuff in there that just make you sit back and say wow.

Personally, I think it's completely unrealistic to forecast 80 power out of a 16 year old when his body is still going through all sorts of development. People are getting way ahead of themselves there.

Reading the article the main theme seems to be he's athletic and was showing a bunch of batting practice power. The player that popped into my head was Wily Mo Pena. Not bad, but not exactly franchise-changing. Maybe this kid turns out to be the real deal, I'd be pretty happy if that was the case, but with him being so young and raw I'm not going to get real excited just yet.

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Nope, didn't see it. I tend to stay out of 115 post threads, my attention span isn't nearly that long. :laugh:

Personally, I think it's completely unrealistic to forecast 80 power out of a 16 year old when his body is still going through all sorts of development. People are getting way ahead of themselves there.

Reading the article the main theme seems to be he's athletic and was showing a bunch of batting practice power. The player that popped into my head was Wily Mo Pena. Not bad, but not exactly franchise-changing. Maybe this kid turns out to be the real deal, I'd be pretty happy if that was the case, but with him being so young and raw I'm not going to get real excited just yet.

When you start paying kids this type of money, they are absolute cream of the crop type of players. I think its hard to not get excited by this kind of thing, but I guess I am a prospect nerd.

marcshoe
03-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I was voting for Castro a few rounds ago, but I've lost interest in him. I'm going for Heisey.

btw, googling Rafael Gonzalez can lead to some rather disturbing results in the images that sometimes show up at the beginning of a search. Images that aren't work safe, to say the least.

GoReds33
03-05-2008, 04:43 PM
It'll be great to get to see Duran play. From what I've read on BA, and here he seems like he's going to be a star. I know that two million dollars is alot to give to a 16 year old, but he seems like he's worth it. I wish I'd have voted for him, because I didn't look down at the conversation before voting.

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
It'll be great to get to see Duran play. From what I've read on BA, and here he seems like he's going to be a star. I know that two million dollars is alot to give to a 16 year old, but he seems like he's worth it. I wish I'd have voted for him, because I didn't look down at the conversation before voting.

Its pointless to vote for him here. I don't think anyone thinks this kid is even close to the #40 prospect in our system, it just so happens he is only available to be voted on now because of when he signed.

GoReds33
03-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Its pointless to vote for him here. I don't think anyone thinks this kid is even close to the #40 prospect in our system, it just so happens he is only available to be voted on now because of when he signed.I know, but I would rather him be 40th, than not be on there at all.

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I know, but I would rather him be 40th, than not be on there at all.

Well its going to be painfully obvious that he wasn't on the list because of the signing date and not because we are all morons who didn't vote for him.

REDblooded
03-05-2008, 06:00 PM
duran

GoReds33
03-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Well its going to be painfully obvious that he wasn't on the list because of the signing date and not because we are all morons who didn't vote for him.Maybe we could do a poll with where people would rank Duran. Something setup so they can pick where he could be listed, and we would move everybody behind him back. Then it would be the top 41 prospects.

dougdirt
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Maybe we could do a poll with where people would rank Duran. Something setup so they can pick where he could be listed, and we would move everybody behind him back. Then it would be the top 41 prospects.

Could be a good idea, but I think there would be a broad array of where to place him. I know that I would have him in the top 10 without thinking twice about it, but others wouldn't put him in the top 15 because of how far he is from contributing.

GoReds33
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Could be a good idea, but I think there would be a broad array of where to place him. I know that I would have him in the top 10 without thinking twice about it, but others wouldn't put him in the top 15 because of how far he is from contributing.Atleast he wouldn't be 40th.:)

Blue
03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Juan Duran