PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick your favorite team

TOBTTReds
03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Votes are public.

If you could pick your favorite team to naturally love, who would you choose. Take these things into consideration:

Current or past players
Success
Front office
Front office philosophies/personalities
Ticket prices
Stadium
Media Coverage
Game Atmosphere
Fans
Overall Image of Team
Other things as well...

Always Red
03-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I have always enjoyed watching and following the Oakland A's. Even after the heartbreaking loss to them in the 1972 WS.

Why? Just their history, from Connie Mack to today, all the losing after Mack until Dick Williams and Finley, the characters, the characters, the characters :D , their cross country odyssey from Philly to KC to Oakland, only to settle in their role as red headed stepchild of the Bay Area. Not to mention the winning- they have won 9 WS Championships in all.

The uniforms. Don't know why, but I love them.

OH, and one other thing: they know have Chris Denorfia on their side. ;)

camisadelgolf
03-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I'd go with the Kansas City Royals because I like underdogs, and the franchise is practically doomed.

Screwball
03-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Tampa Bay Rays. They're going to be an exciting young team for a few years. Until, of course, they can't afford their players anymore.

RedsManRick
03-05-2008, 03:23 PM
I voted Cleveland.

- Interesting history
- Good recent success
- Great management
- Beautiful park
- Smallish market (fewer bandwagoneers)

Joseph
03-05-2008, 03:23 PM
If I didn't pick the Reds, I think I'd be a Dodgers fan.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I took into consideration past players. If I could go back in time and had been Billy Crystal's friend growing up, it would have been great to watch Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris in 1961. Along with Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Elston Howard and even a future Red - Deron Johnson was on that '61 Yankee team.

*BaseClogger*
03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Oakland A's--because Billy Beane and that computer wrote Moneyball :D

macro
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
If I didn't pick the Reds, I think I'd be a Dodgers fan.

Same here. I hated them in the 70s and 80s, but since the realignment of 1994 I have come to appreciate their class and continuity with regard to their ballpark, their uniforms, their history, and the way they run the franchise.

M2
03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I assume this means other than the Reds.

My criteria would be NL team, plays an appealing brand of baseball, preferably located in the northeast, wears blue (I like blue).

Raisor
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey, the Reds are one of the choices. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Highlifeman21
03-05-2008, 05:44 PM
My parents are both from Cleveland, so I was brought up to love the Indians.

While the Indians still have a place in my heart, I love the Reds first and foremost, but will always root for the Indians except when they are playing the Reds.

RichRed
03-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Dodgers for me, too. And no, Steve Garvey is not my padre.

Red in Chicago
03-05-2008, 07:05 PM
I was torn between the Cubs and Yankees. I picked the Cubs just becaues my life would be much easier in Chicago. If I were to go with past players and tradition, I would have picked the Yanks.

Tom Servo
03-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I already had my choice and I picked the Reds. I may not always like my decision but dammit, I'll stand by it.

fearofpopvol1
03-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm going to roll with the Devil Rays. They've been an underdog their entire existence and they have ridiculously awesome young players both in the farm system and on the field. I hope one of these seasons they overtake both evil empires.

TOBTTReds
03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I guess I assumed more people would have picked a team other than the Reds. I would choose an organization that has the same baseball philosophies as me, and has a great stadium with a good atmosphere for a young crowd. I went with the Red Sox.

gonelong
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I could pretty easily be a Cardinal fan.

Dodgers and Indians as 2A and 2B.

GL

cincrazy
03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd have to go with the Yankees. I have family on Long Island and they bleed Yankee pinstripes, it'd be pretty easy to fall in love with that tradition and atmosphere.

Gainesville Red
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I watch a lot of Tampa Bay. Two hours away, young and exciting squad, may have a stadium with a sailboat attached to the top soon. What's not too like.

Unassisted
03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
I don't do AL baseball, so because of geography and ease of following the team that's 4 hours away, I would go with Houston.

KronoRed
03-05-2008, 10:02 PM
San Diego, the AL is a farce.

bucksfan
03-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Assuming the Reds were not an option, I chose Boston. Everything from their history to Cheers to the ball park to Tony Perez playing for them to Oil Can Boyd to Dewey Evans always kinda drew me in. I don't know that I was ever so anxious to gvisit somewhere as I was my 1st visit to Fenway when I was 19. But the Reds were always the 1st and most natural team for me.

Spitball
03-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I no longer live in New England, but I will always be a New Englander at heart. I'm from a long line of hardcore Red Sox fans. I adopted the Reds while playing wiffle ball as a kid. No one could be the Sox because that would result in arguments. No one would choose an American League team because that would be blashemy. Ted (named for Williams) chose the Giants. Bob the Braves. I chose the Reds. Then, we moved to Cincinnati for my junior high years, and my other favorite team was firmly cemented.

Actually, the wiffle ball choice wasn't arbitrary. My dad worked for General Electric, and I was born in Cincinnati during his first tour in Evendale. My family moved back home to Topsfield, north of Boston, when I was young, but the connection with the Reds had been made.

RedEye
03-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I voted for Boston because I assumed this poll was meant to be for choosing which team other than the Reds. There has to be something deeply gratifying about being a BoSox fan these days. After so many decades of losing, they are finally on top, and they have a front office that actually takes modern approaches to scouting and statistical analysis seriously. They also have a pretty kick ass 'net community in Sons of Sam Horn. All in all, I think it's pretty good to be a Boston fan these days.

The Reds are my favorite team and always will be. But if I had to choose... I'd make their present a lot more like the Red Sox (I prefer the Cincinnati past, thank you very much).

Jpup
03-06-2008, 01:51 AM
The Reds are my favorite team and the Yankees are my second. I love them both, but the Reds are 1st no matter what. I just love baseball with a passion and really like watching anyone, for the most part. I don't think I could ever be a Red Sox or Cubs fan. I get sick thinking about it. I really don't like St. Louis either. I've always kind of liked watching the west coast teams a lot as well. I used to hate Atlanta in the 90s, but I really enjoy watching them now.

jmcclain19
03-06-2008, 02:15 AM
I picked Oakland because I grew up every year going to see them in Spring Training.

Growing up where I did - everyone was either a Dodgers fan due to location and the Dodgers were the only baseball in season on the radio & TV here; or a Giants fan because the AAA squad was in town, or a Cubs fans, because Cubs fans are like bad weeds, they pop up everywhere, and my hometown tends to be a 2nd home for them.

The As were an AL team and I couldn't ever pull for another NL team besides the Reds - and they were entertaining with Rickey, Jose & Mark every year making Spring Training a circus - in the mid to late 80s so it was easy enough to make them my 2nd team.

I've been attending their spring training games for over 20 years now.

cumberlandreds
03-06-2008, 08:05 AM
I assume other than the Reds. I would go with the Pirates. Even though they were big rivals with the Reds in the 70's I always liked them too. Some of those 70's Pirates players are my favorite non Reds.Stargell,Oliver,Hebner,Sanguillen and others are just a notch below the Big Red Machine for me. Believe it or not they do have a great baseball tradition and I still like to watch them if the Reds aren't on TV.

camisadelgolf
03-06-2008, 08:47 AM
If it weren't for the Reds, I'd just obsess over a minor league team or two (i.e. Dragons, Indians, Clippers, Bats).

Caseyfan21
03-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Other than the Reds, I always follow the Arizona Diamondbacks. I lived out in Arizona for a summer a couple years ago and since they had the $1 tickets I went to at least 10-15 games over the summer. They had a nice stadium (change of pace from Cincy) and they also had a lot of young, exciting players so they were an easy team to root for.