PDA

View Full Version : Mets looking for OF/Alou out

Benihana
03-06-2008, 03:36 PM
With Moises Alou out for six weeks, Omar Minaya has acknowledged he is seeking a 4th OF type in a trade. He says he won't make a move til the end of the spring, but this has Ryan Freel/Norris Hopper written all over it as far as I'm concerned.

Ryan Freel for Aaron Heilman

Sign me up!

M2
03-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Freel for Joe Smith.

Benihana
03-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Freel for Joe Smith.

I'd do that too. My guess is they want to hang onto any youngsters they have left after the Santana deal. Their counter would probably be Jorge Sosa, who they're rumored to be dangling anyway.

Patrick Bateman
03-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Freel for Joe Smith.

That might be feasible considering how poorly they used Smith last season. Against righties he looks like a great high leverage arm.

M2
03-06-2008, 03:49 PM
My guess is they want to hang onto any youngsters they have left after the Santana deal.

I'd think they'd be more willing to move the kid than Heilman. They're sort of Pinky and the Brain this year, their plan is to take over the world.

Highlifeman21
03-06-2008, 03:50 PM
I'd rather see Hopper go before Freel.

Regardless, one of them needs to go, but between these two, it's Hopper 8 days a week.

cincyinco
03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Disagree Highlife.. Send Freel 8 days a week. Oft injured, expensive, and on the decline.

Mets can take on salary. Dump him, while you can~!

TOBTTReds
03-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Disagree Highlife.. Send Freel 8 days a week. Oft injured, expensive, and on the decline.

Ditto. Freel + 1 mil for Joe Smith...see if they budge.

Highlifeman21
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Freel can at least be a warm body @ 3B or 2B also.

Hopper is at best a warm body for CF, but with Patterson now in camp, I see little use for Norris Hopper.

Freel is expensive, I can't argue that, and he's probably on the decline, but he's still an overall better player than Hopper, and as long as Freel's just providing depth for the bench, his value is exponentially higher than Hopper's.

lollipopcurve
03-06-2008, 04:11 PM
but he's still an overall better player than Hopper

matter of opinion

I'll take Hopper

redsmetz
03-06-2008, 04:11 PM
It's interesting because Krivsky has said since before Spring Training started that they'd continue to talk to everybody and anybody and that they'd see how things unfold with various potential trade partners. That's obviously a generic answer, but we all know anything can happen in Spring Training and that teams suddenly find a need they hadn't expected.

Are the Mets in need of a Scott Hatteberg type too?

RedsManRick
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Freel is incredibly more valuable than Hopper off the bench due to his pop (he has some) and his defensive flexibility. But if we can trade either for another good arm, move whichever makes it happen quicker.

Nugget
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
But you have Kepp for the 3B or 2B and I doubt that Hopper gets you any of the Mets guys mentioned whereas Freel maybe. Sure if they say Freel or Hopper then let them take Hopper.

Anyway I doubt that the Mets will need to take on anyway remotely everyday as Alou is due back before the end of Spring Training.

REDREAD
03-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Speaking of Freel, are there any updates on him? How's he been doing this spring? Has he recovered from his injuries?

Personally, I think the Reds would do cartwheels to get any team to accept Freel.

I doubt the Mets are willing to pay much for Freel/Hopper considering guys like Lofton are still out there (is that true? Don't know).. Isn't Reggie Sanders a free agent as well or is he still with KC?

Kc61
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Both Freel and Hopper should have value. Freel has the versatility. But I'll take Hopper because he hits consistently. He's probably a better defensive player in the outfield too.

Probably this comes down to dollars. Reds will probably try to trade Freel because he is expensive. Other teams will probably prefer Hopper because he is cheaper.

A team like the Mets may prefer Freel, though, because he has more of a proven major league track record.

It's logical to think that the Reds will shed one of Freel, Hopper or Patterson -- hard to see them all on the team.

Highlifeman21
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM
How about let them have both Freel and Hopper.

And Hatteberg while we're at it.

I'm not sure those 3 together would get us Aaron Heilman, but it's at least worth a call to Queens/Flushing.

VR
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Hopefully Alou is still around camp to show the youngsters how to toughen the skin on their hands so they don't require batting gloves. Even if you are injured, you can still teach.

paulrichjr
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Kenny Lofton is my bet...Why get Freel when Lofton is just as good for shorter guarantees?

redsmetz
03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Someone asked about Reggie Sanders and he is a free agent who is unsigned, but I think he's coming off of some injury from last season.

BRM
03-06-2008, 04:39 PM
According to Minaya, Moises Alou will have surgery and should be on a bike roughly one week later, “hopefully.” He is expected to be back in four to six weeks, as had been reporters yesterday.

Minaya said, although he has already identified a few teams who have a surplus of outfielders, if he were to make a trade it would be for a player who is not an every-day guy like Alou – but who is better than a guy like Angel Pagan – and that it would likely be towards the end of the spring, not now.

Of course, it was pointed out to him that Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds are still on the market, to which he smiled and said, “Well, we are happy with the guys we have.”

LINK (http://www.metsblog.com/2008/03/06/psl-omar-talks-with-reporters-from-dugout/)

fearofpopvol1
03-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Don't the Mets still have a hole at 1B? How about Freel and Hatteberg for Joe Smith?

mth123
03-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Don't the Mets still have a hole at 1B? How about Freel and Hatteberg for Joe Smith?

I think dealing Freel & Hatte to the Mets makes a lot of sense. I also like some of the names being mentioned. Joe Smith, Aaron Heilman, etc. I think Heilman would be difficult to get. Smith maybe less so. I'd throw in a prospect or two to get Heilman. The Mets need to replenish the system. Adding Heilman to the Reds pen would move this team well up into contention IMO. The Reds need multiple guys capable of pitching the 8th inning. Even if Weathers and Burton don't have the drop off many are envisioning, they can't pitch every day. Heck, I throw in Maloney, Coffey and Darryl Thompson and take both Heilman and Smith. (I know multi-player deals like that rarely happen in the Spring. I'm just saying this bullpen has the look and feel of another big time chink in the armor IMO and I believe something to add some solid "game on the line" capable relief pitching can mean a number of wins for this team.)

camisadelgolf
03-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Here's what I'd offer for El Duque:

Javier Valentin (who would probably love being on the same team as his brother)
Scott Hatteberg (the obvious Carlos Delgado replacement)
Ryan Freel (the fourth outfielder/utility-type)
Mike Stanton (to dump salary)
Juan Castro (other salary dump that theoretically helps the team--besides, it can't be good to have El Duque with a Castro)

This way, the Reds get a guy who will produce at an average or above-average level for 150 innings or so (before his inevitable injury ends his career).

wally post
03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
First, I cringe at the thought of El Duque, but he would help all of those youngsters. We need a wiley vet or two to pass on some secrets to the younger pitchers! The mets are definitely frustrated with El Duque because he says he won't pitch out ofc the bullpen and the Mets are loaded at starting right now - plus his foot has been hurting. It would be a good trade I think.

fearofpopvol1
03-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Here's what I'd offer for El Duque:

Javier Valentin (who would probably love being on the same team as his brother)
Scott Hatteberg (the obvious Carlos Delgado replacement)
Ryan Freel (the fourth outfielder/utility-type)
Mike Stanton (to dump salary)
Juan Castro (other salary dump that theoretically helps the team--besides, it can't be good to have El Duque with a Castro)

This way, the Reds get a guy who will produce at an average or above-average level for 150 innings or so (before his inevitable injury ends his career).

I think that's too many players. The Mets don't have enough roster spots for all those players!

I think I'd prefer another bullpen arm at this point and I don't think it's a given that El Duque will pitch 15 innings at average or league average this season.

Will M
03-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Hat and Freel would both help the Mets but I am not sure they have anyone who would help us ( anyone that they would be willing to deal ). Heilman would be great but I don't think they would deal him.

They do have two catchers that are probably better than either of ours :(

Will M
03-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Could the Padres be interested in Freel? They seem to need another outfielder.

From MLB Trade Rumors:
" Crumbling Edmonds Makes Pads Think Trade
The Jim Edmonds Implosion Watch is on in San Diego. The centerfielder is on the shelf until the end of the month with a strained calf muscle, suffered in Thursday's spring game.

Just a little more impetus for the Pads to get a deal done for an outfielder. Kevin Towers, though, says not so fast. He'll wait a week or so to see how Edmonds is progressing before pulling the trigger on any trades. Edmonds, who's in the last year of a two-year deal he signed with the Cardinals, will make $8MM this season. He's missed 97 games over the last two years with a variety of aches and pains.

The strain may be worse than the one Edmonds suffered in 2003, causing him to miss significant playing time. Towers and Theo Epstein chatted yesterday over email, though Coco Crisp is seen as a long shot. Towers says Boston can't have either Chase Headley or Matt Antonelli."

boognish
03-08-2008, 11:04 AM
The Padres have a couple of bullpen arms in whom I would be interested. Towers is generally pretty savvy, and as such I doubt we could get much for Freel or NoHo, but a burner who could (theoretically) patrol that spacious CF might appeal if the risky Edmonds remains on the shelf.

The Garrison/Inman caliber--guys who project as starters--would likely be off-limits, but Joe Thatcher would definitely be a guy to target, IMO. Freel and Hopper are kind of redundant on this team and I'd like to add another interesting arm for one of them.

corkedbat
03-08-2008, 01:22 PM
We have serveral spare parts - Hatte, OF, Bullpen and maybe a couple of minor league arms that interest other clubs (not to mention Castro and Stanton - they don't come much sparer than that). Hopefully, WK can turn them into something even more helpful for the future.

Maybe a young SS with both a glove and a bat, a soild young catching prospect a bullpen arm or a lower-level (AA/A) pitcher with a lot of upside. The periphreal-type deals are what Krivsky has excelled at, moreso than the blockbuster deals. I'll be interested to see what Krivetty (or is it Jocksky?) can accomplish over the next 2-3 weeks.

Benihana
03-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Looks like Wayne may have missed the boat on this one. Word circulating that Coco Crisp may be headed to New York.

EDIT: Looks like the rumor was bogus.

TRF
03-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I'd gladly take Germano back for Freel. I think Germano would be a very good long reliever.

bucksfan2
03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Looks like Wayne may have missed the boat on this one. Word circulating that Coco Crisp may be headed to New York.

How did Wayne miss the boat on this one. Crisp is a much better player than Freel and not to mention younger. I find it funny that Wayne missed the boat when in reality the Mets could have wanted nothing to do with Freel. Pretty much everyone on this board who has seen Freel wants him traded, GM's aren't that stupid.

RedsManRick
03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
How did Wayne miss the boat on this one. Crisp is a much better player than Freel and not to mention younger. I find it funny that Wayne missed the boat when in reality the Mets could have wanted nothing to do with Freel. Pretty much everyone on this board who has seen Freel wants him traded, GM's aren't that stupid.

This rumor is being strongly denied by both sides.

blumj
03-12-2008, 05:07 PM
This rumor is being strongly denied by both sides.
Funny thing. This rumor was hated equally by both Mets and Sox fans. All are relieved.

KronoRed
03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Last hot rumor was the Reds were about to get Crisp

blumj
03-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Last hot rumor was the Reds were about to get Crisp

No, the Cubs were the last one, the Reds were the one before that, or maybe before the A's. Let's see, first it was the White Sox for someone, then Rangers for Laird, then Reds for Freel and something, then the A's, then Cubs for Murton, then Cubs again for Marquis, then Mets for Pagan. Next up, I call Padres. Kind of depressing when the Mets fans would rather keep Angel Pagan, though.