PDA

View Full Version : Pujols to eventually need elbow surgery

Chip R
03-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I wonder if they tried having George Grande kiss it and make it feel better. I know you wouldn't have to ask him twice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArDL6UnrI2c.3hgDfLIDkwMp0bYF?slug=txcard inalspujols&prov=st&type=lgns

princeton
03-07-2008, 09:41 AM
:thumbup:

remdog
03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Pujols, whatever his age, whatever his 'enhanced' medicinal use may or not be, is one of the top 10 hitters I've ever seen. And that goes back to people like Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams and Willie Mays.

George may be 'over-platitudinous' (OK, I just made that word up :p: ) but the guy (Pujols) can swing the stick.

Rem

remdog
03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
The only thing that puzzels me about this is that the Cards look to be 'also-rans' this year so wouldn't Albert be better off having the operation now?

Maybe he's decided to wait and see what kind of start the Cards get off to. If they flounder early maybe he'll pull the plug on the season and have the operation to get ready for '09.

Rem

PuffyPig
03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
The only thing that puzzels me about this is that the Cards look to be 'also-rans' this year so wouldn't Albert be better off having the operation now?

Maybe he's decided to wait and see what kind of start the Cards get off to. If they flounder early maybe he'll pull the plug on the season and have the operation to get ready for '09.

Rem

He can wait until the all star break, and then have the surgery if need be and still be ready for 2009.

But Pujols seems to be able to play through this injury quite comfortably at this stage.

Jpup
03-07-2008, 10:05 AM
maybe he can use some HGH and heal quicker.

Chip R
03-07-2008, 10:06 AM

Rem

I think that's it exactly. So is it better for the Reds that the Cards stay in contention for as long as possible this year since he would probably miss a couple of months in 09?

GoReds
03-07-2008, 10:21 AM
In this division, I'm think it would more difficult for the Cards to be out of contention by the ASB. Pujols is doomed.

Strikes Out Looking
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
While Pujols will continue to be a feared hitter, I believe that due to his elbow and the weaker lineup around him, his best statistical days have passed him.

While I'm not a Doctor, I wonder if he increases the chances of more dramatic injuries by his continuing to play. For instance, will he do something to another part of his body because he is attempting to compensate for the elbow?

Chip R
03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
While Pujols will continue to be a feared hitter, I believe that due to his elbow and the weaker lineup around him, his best statistical days have passed him.

While I'm not a Doctor, I wonder if he increases the chances of more dramatic injuries by his continuing to play. For instance, will he do something to another part of his body because he is attempting to compensate for the elbow?

One of the problems he has is arthritis. I don't think that's the kind Fred Sanford had either. That doesn't really go away. But he had a pretty good year last year all things considered.

WMR
03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Most players begin to have injury problems at his age. :rolleyes:

Sea Ray
03-07-2008, 01:52 PM
The only thing that puzzles me about this is that the Cards look to be 'also-rans' this year so wouldn't Albert be better off having the operation now?

Rem

I fully agree. If this is the diagnosis:

Pujols, 28, has a torn ulnar collateral ligament, bone spurs, arthritis and swelling in his elbow - all results of a minor injury the slugger suffered in 2003.

Then why isn't he on the operating table as we speak? I think guys like Norris hopper should be bunting his way a lot this year, particularly when there are runners on base

Highlifeman21
03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Pujols seems to be swinging the stick and playing D just fine while dealing with his elbow.

Imagine what he'd do if healthy.... (insert sarcasm here)

RedsManRick
03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
On the Fantasy 411 yesterday, they were discussing Pujols and the point was raised that for Carpenter, the bone spurs were actually providing stability to the joint. The removal of the spurs actual caused more problems.

I think we sometimes think in very black & white terms -- it's broken, so fix it. Perhaps it's more complicated than that. How certain are we (the Cards) that surgery will really "fix" what's going on in Pujols' arm. Given the complexity of the injury, specifically the arthritis condition which will never be "fixed", the only thing surgery truly guarantees is that Pujols misses a full season. There's another layer of downside that perhaps we're not considering -- one in which his full recovery by next spring, if at all, is less that certain.

If Pujols can play through the pain without causing any more permanent damage than he already has, I can understand a school of thought which says let him play until he can't any longer. Imagine you had a 60" flat screen tv and a handful of pixels were out and is developing a flicker. They tell you that at some point, the whole thing is likely to go at which point you'll need a big repair on it. They also tell you that they can't guarantee you the same picture quality when you get it back and that they may never fix those pixels. They also tell you that you aren't doing any extra damage by waiting longer. The repair will take a year and you can't afford a new TV. What do you do?

15fan
03-07-2008, 02:08 PM
If I ran the Cards, I'd make darn sure that the best proctologist on the planet was available for any Pujols sugery. ;)

KronoRed
03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Most players begin to have injury problems at his age. :rolleyes:

Mid 30's? :D

wheels
03-07-2008, 03:36 PM
If I ran the Cards, I'd make darn sure that the best proctologist on the planet was available for any Pujols sugery. ;)

Bwahhhh haahhh hahhhh!!

I seriously just had my first spit take of the year of our lord 2008.

All courtesy of 15 Fan.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

KYRedsFan
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Major league pitchers are pretty much the only humans on the planet who need an ulnar collateral ligament. And as far as bone spurs, I would be shocked if the majority of throwing athletes did not have some amount of bone spurrin on their elbows, so that is not likely a huge issue. Will be interested what kind of brace he is or is not wearing, as that can sometimes be more detrimental than the injury. In all likelihood the sucky Cardinal lineup will hurt him more than the injury.

gm
03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Follow Favre into retirement, Albert. The water's fine

pedro
03-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Bwahhhh haahhh hahhhh!!

I seriously just had my first spit take of the year of our lord 2008.

All courtesy of 15 Fan.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Funny, I was thinking that elbow surgery on your Pujols could really hurt.....

your team.

gm
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Funny, I was thinking that elbow surgery on your Pujols could really hurt.....

your team.

It's elbows and asjols in here