PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know when first cuts are?

Danny Serafini
03-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I imagine they'll have to start thinning the herd sometime soon.

LincolnparkRed
03-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Haven't seen a date posted but quite a few teams have sent people down already.

Nugget
03-07-2008, 01:46 PM
On that point ex-RED William Bergolla was sent down by the Nats last/earlier this week.

MartyFan
03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I read where Scott Williamson got released by the Giants yesterday.

Highlifeman21
03-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I can't wait until we read that Stanton and Castro have been released.

Chip R
03-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Don't hold your breath.

MrCinatit
03-07-2008, 03:51 PM

2011?

KronoRed
03-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I was thinking 2014

LawFive
03-07-2008, 08:45 PM
they have a couple of split-squads next week. I imagine we'll see some after that.

Reds Nd2
03-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Have the Reds minor league camps opened yet? I wouldn't expect any cuts untill then.

mth123
03-08-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm guessing we will see a few cuts this week-end. After Arroyo pitches, the Reds will be going through the rotation for the 3rd time and the starters will probably start stretching to 5 innings or so. Even with the split squad games on Tuesday and Friday, there probably aren't enough innings to go around. If the team gets in a bind, it can always take a minor leaguer or two to a game. The team will probably need to send out the minor leaguers that are going to prepare as starters and have no shot at the rotation and maybe a few others who look like there is no hope.

My guess for first cuts: Alex Smit, Richie Gardner, Matt Maloney, Scott Sauerbeck, Mike Lincoln, Tom Shearn, Tyler Pelland, Ramon Ramirez, Daryl Thompson and with a few less pitchers Chris Kroski and Alvin Colina probably go down. That would still leave 22 pitchers in camp, 8 of whom (Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Fogg, Affeldt) are still rotation candidates who will probably get starters innings and a few guys who only have hope as long relievers like Adkins, Brower, Pettyjohn, and Lehr who may stretch to more than an inning at a time as well. I don't see any of the other position players going down yet. Maybe Tatum goes instead of Colina or in addition to him.

Topcat
03-08-2008, 06:37 AM

From god's mouth to your ear's sadly I believe 1 of the2 will make roster.:confused:

Unassisted
03-08-2008, 07:42 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080308&content_id=2413188&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Cuts? The Reds still have 62 players in camp, including 35 pitchers -- some of whom have yet to get work. Although Baker met with general manager Wayne Krivsky on Saturday morning, the team has yet to make any roster cuts. Baker gave no indication about when the trimming would start.

"I don't really know. If I did, I really wouldn't say," Baker said. "It'd be like walking death row for some guys. Cut day is no joke. It's the day I hate most in baseball season, especially the later cuts. Those are really tough. There might be more than 25 guys that deserve to be on the team. That makes it tough, too."

Unassisted
03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/03/08/ddn030908redsnotesweb.html

Baker won't say when first cuts will come

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Saturday, March 08, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. — It is 11 games into the exhibition season and the Cincinnati Reds have yet to cut a player — 64 players still dress in the main clubhouse.

Manager Dusty Baker was asked when the first trim will come and he said, "If I knew, I wouldn't say. That's like Death Row when a player hears what day cuts are coming. I remember it as a player and it was the date I hated most in a baseball season."

So, 35 pitchers, seven catchers, 14 infielders and eight outfielders are collecting big-league meal money, with Baker scrambling to find innings for the squadron of pitchers.

"I'm looking at everybody and we have some tough decisions to make," he said. "We have some really tough decisions on who we'll keep as utility guys. We have more depth in that area than they've had in a long time. Who are we going to keep in the bullpen? Who are our starters?"

fearofpopvol1
03-09-2008, 06:04 AM
They really should be cutting some of these pitchers that are CLEARLY not making the team.

WebScorpion
03-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Krivsky actually made a JOKE about this: :eek: I didn't know he had a sense of humor?!?!

QUOTABLE (from the Enquirer (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080310/SPT04/803100381/))

"We're not. We're hoping to sneak 64 through on Opening Day." General manager Wayne Krivsky, when asked when the first cut was coming.

M2
03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
They really should be cutting some of these pitchers that are CLEARLY not making the team.

Agreed. Some of these guys aren't even getting out on the mound - Sergio Valenzuela, this means you.

Kc61
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
The first cuts probably won't tell us much about who is going north. I see the competition this way:

Starting pitching -- Harang, Arroyo locks. Belisle, very likely. Competition for remaining two spots between Fogg, Affeldt, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey. Five guys for three spots.

Relief pitching -- Burton, Cordero, Weathers, locks. Stanton, very likely. Competition for remaining spots between Volquez, Cueto, Affeldt, Coffey, Sauerbeck, Roenicke, Bray, Majewski, Coutlangus, Lincoln, Mercker, Salmon, McBeth. Probably about 12 guys vying for three spots.

Starting 8 -- Openings in CF, 1B. Candidates for center are Bruce, Patterson, Hopper, Freel.
Candidates at first base are Votto and Hatt.

Bench -- Valentin, Keppinger locks. Patterson, Hopper, Freel, Votto, Hatte, Dickerson, Castro, Janish, Hairston candidates for remaining three spots. Bako if needed due to injury.

Rule 5 -- Valenzuela -- don't know what's up with him, just has to go north or back to original team.

If there's anyone else truly competing for a spot on the roster, I'd be surprised.

rotnoid
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
From Lance's blog (http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html)

Reds news
Rule 5 draftee RHP Sergio Valenzuela today was sold back to the Braves.
RHP Ramon Ramirez was optioned to Class AAA Louisville.
The Reds have 62 players remaining in camp.

So the purging of arms has begun. I never understood the Valenzuela pick, unless they thought he could teach Homer to breathe out of his eyelids.

Danny Serafini
03-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure what's crazier, the fact that the Reds paid money for Valenzuela or the fact that the Braves paid money to take him back.

princeton
03-10-2008, 04:00 PM
in another move, the scout that recommended Valenzuela was given a little pink note with his paycheck.

our late-year 40 man adds look pathetic, BTW. How is li'l Carlos Guevara doing?

Matt700wlw
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
nevermind

M2
03-10-2008, 04:23 PM
in another move, the scout that recommended Valenzuela was given a little pink note with his paycheck.

our late-year 40 man adds look pathetic, BTW. How is li'l Carlos Guevara doing?

Only one uneventful IP so far. Unless the Padres start using him more he's not going to be making that club.

redsmetz
03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure what's crazier, the fact that the Reds paid money for Valenzuela or the fact that the Braves paid money to take him back.

I think the club believed this guy had some potential upside that could develop if they could right out the year with him on the club. I think it became apparent that there would be no room for him on the roster this year. I assuming the Braves wanted him back enough to pay back some of the money as opposed to taking something in trade for him to stay with us (or we wouldn't give the Braves what they asked for in trade).

The fact that we have no room for a Rule 5 guy who would only pitch when a mop was needed, speaks volumes in my opinion viz the state of the bullpen. It's better than it was in previous years. There's a lot of competition for not many slots either in the rotation or the pen, IMO.

M2
03-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I believe today was the last split squad date on the schedule, probably meaning that either this evening or tomorrow morning Dusty will have to do his Grim Reaper routine.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/MaffYouMe/Grim.jpg

traderumor
03-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I think Matt Maloney took himself out of the "young pitchers with a chance to make the club" list and will be in the first cuts.

Hoosier Red
03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
"Good practice, kids. Now its time for the easiest part of any coach's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you. Wendell is cut. Rudy is cut. Janey, you're gone. Steven, I like your hustle. Thats why it was so hard to cut you. Congratulations, the rest of you made the team!
Except you, you and you."

Reds Nd2
03-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I believe today was the last split squad date on the schedule, probably meaning that either this evening or tomorrow morning Dusty will have to do his Grim Reaper routine.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/MaffYouMe/Grim.jpg

They have a SS scheduled for Friday.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/spring_training/schedule.jsp?c_id=cin

When do the Minor League camps open?

BRM
03-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Per C. Trent:

What's next?
Wednesday is the only off day of the spring. Expect cuts either Wednesday or before Thursday night's game at Minnesota. There are currently 50 on the roster -- that should be down to 35ish by Tuesday. The biggest cuts could be Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce. Bruce may stick around a little longer, but maybe not too much. Decision will have to be made soon on guys like Andy Green, Andy Phillips and Jolbert Cabrera.