PDA

View Full Version : Cueto rising through Reds' ranks

OnBaseMachine
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
The other Cueto thread is getting kind of long so that's why I started a new thread.

Cueto rising through Reds' ranks
Right-hander opens eyes after impressive spring outings
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Until this spring, few Reds fans had seen Johnny Cueto pitch in person, and even fewer Reds scribes.

Yet over his past couple of seasons in the Minors, rumblings of Cueto's impressive stuff had spread like snarky gossip on TMZ.com. His name had almost taken on mythical proportions last season, even as Homer Bailey overshadowed most others in the organization.

With Cueto in his first big league camp as a non-roster invitee, the buzz has only increased. Now that his ability has been witnessed in person, it's backed up the talk.

"Sometimes people live up to the hype," manager Dusty Baker said Friday morning. "Most of the time, they don't. But he's kind of exceeded the hype so far."

Cueto made his first spring start in Friday afternoon's 13-8 loss to the Pirates, and succeeded at adding to the hype. The 22-year-old smoothly worked three scoreless innings and allowed one hit with no walks and four strikeouts -- including three in a row.

Just as important, Cueto used all of his pitches and felt very comfortable facing big league hitters. One scout's radar gun had Cueto's fastball mostly at 95 mph, topping out at 97.

"I trust my stuff," the Dominican native Cueto said through catcher and interpreter Javier Valentin. "I do nothing specific to prove something to anybody. I just throw the ball the way I'm used to throwing."

Of Cueto's 35 pitches, 25 were strikes. It was such short work that he threw an additional 15 pitches in the bullpen after his outing.

The tone for Cueto's start was set from the first batter. Pittsburgh leadoff man Nate McLouth was frozen on a changeup called for strike three.

"If he has that kind of changeup, welcome to the big leagues," Valentin said. "He's the next Pedro Martinez."

Valentin wasn't behind the plate when Cueto pitched, but has caught him in batting practice. Valentin, however, has seen what the changeup does to Reds hitters on the practice fields. Cueto's fastball is considered his best pitch. He also throws a slider and two-seam fastball.

"I'm impressed with his stuff," said Paul Bako, who caught Cueto on Friday and the right-hander's previous relief outing on Sunday. "I'm also impressed with his command and how effortless his delivery seems and how consistent it is. It appears he's never really out of control out there, which is pretty rare for a guy his age with as good of stuff as he has."

Combined at Class A Sarasota, Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville in 2007, Cueto was 12-9 with a 3.07 ERA. In 161 1/3 innings, he struck out 170 batters compared to 34 walks.

The Reds have several pitchers competing to fill the back three spots in the rotation this spring. Because he had logged just four Triple-A starts, indications before camp were that Cueto had an outside chance against the likes of Bailey, Matt Belisle, Jeremy Affeldt and Edinson Volquez. The odds appeared even longer once Josh Fogg signed as a free agent late last month.

Not too long, perhaps.

"I've seen a number of pitchers come through Double-A and spend very little time at Triple-A," Baker said. "Talking to a lot of scouts, they said Double-A might be a better competitive league than Triple-A. And he throws strikes. If you throw strikes with good stuff and if you can get your off-speed stuff over, you have a chance to win. Every time he gets hit a little bit, he's got another gear."

Baker's first impression of Cueto in game action came against the Blue Jays on Sunday. The pitcher was hampered by the flu, but worked two perfect innings seemingly effortlessly.

"He could have been skipped and didn't want to skip," Baker said. "I like that. He comes to play. It also means he wants to try and make this team. You can't make it on the bench or training room. I like the young man. He's quiet. He goes about his business. You can tell he's in real good company here. He's already around [closer Francisco] Cordero and Mario Soto."

Generously listed at 5-foot-10 and 183 pounds, Cueto walks taller with confidence. He knows he'll be in the big leagues -- sooner than later. He firmly believes he has a good chance to go north with the Reds when camp breaks at the end of the month.

"That's why we're here," Cueto said.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080307&content_id=2410359&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

OnBaseMachine
03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Here's an article from Trent with more quotes.

Cueto rotation ready
Friday 03-07-2008 4:36pm ET

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Put Johnny Cueto in the Reds' rotation right now. Put him third behind Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo -- not because Cueto could be the Reds' third-best starter, but because Arroyo’s done it long enough to have earned the No. 2 spot.

I'm the first to say "it's only spring." But this time I'm answering my own statement -- "I don't care. The kid is good."

The kid is really good.

It's not just me, listen to what Cueto said when asked if he should start in the big leagues.

"Yes," Cueto said through interpreter and catcher Javier Valentin as if he'd been asked nothing more if he wanted a bottle of water after pitching three innings and striking out four Pirate batters, while surrendering a single hit. "That's why I'm here. I'm throwing the ball good, if I've got a chance to start the season in the big leagues, I'll be happy."

On display on the mound is not just Cueto's outstanding fastball and change-up (oh, the change), but also his confidence. Not at any point did Cueto look as if he didn’t belong -- not just on the Ed Smith Stadium mound, but on the mound at Great American Ball Park or Yankee Stadium or the moon.

Not only did Cueto dominate -- the only hit he surrendered was a liner by first baseman Scott Hatteberg by former National League batting champ Freddy Sanchez -- he did it making the Pirate hitters look like Little Leaguers. Those same Pirate hitters greeted Cueto's replacement, Richie Gardner, with seven runs on five hits in 1/3 of an inning.

"I feel good, I felt comfortable," Cueto said after Friday's performance. "I trust my stuff, I don't do anything specific to impress anybody. I throw the way I'm used to throwing and challenge the hitters."

Sunday in Dunedin, Fla., Cueto made his first appearance of the spring, striking out two batters in two innings against the Blue Jays, one of those being All-Star Vernon Wells. Cueto also gave up four hits and a run against Toronto, but he was dealing with the flu. Still, after that game, Reds manager Dusty Baker called Cueto's stuff "electric."

If Cueto was electric against the Blue Jays, he was nuclear against the Pirates.

"He throws easy, he throws strikes, he mixes up his pitches well," Baker said following the 13-8 Pirates win. "He threw the ball well, he looks nice and relaxed. He's coming fast. He looked good."

None of this surprises those who have seen him pitch before. Jay Bruce, ranked as the No. 1 prospect in all of baseball by Baseball America, isn't surprised at anything Cueto does on the mound.

"Sometimes those guys have no chance -- no chance at all," Bruce said. "I asked him how he was throwing, he said, 'maybe 98.' I believe him. He's ridiculous. He's going to be good for a long, long time."

Even though Cueto can touch the upper 90s, his fastball is merely a set-up for a devastating change-up, which will be his out pitch. It's what he got Pirates' leadoff man Nate McLouth looking at to start Friday's game, and the pitch he had several Pirates whiffing at throughout his three innings. Bruce called it "dirty" while future Hall of Famer Frank Thomas lost his balance swinging at one last weekend.

"If you have that kind of changeup, welcome to the big leagues," Valentin said. "Everyone says the next Pedro Martinez, and hopefully that's what we've got here, the next Pedro Martinez."

http://1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

Reds1
03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Kind of funny. Cueto is one I figured didn't have a shot and he rocks and others you think are going to make it like Bruce or Homer and they just may not. It's exciting. I can't wait to see him pitch. I guess the 1st game on tv is Monday. Probably too soon for him again. Wish more games were on, but this outing was awesome. We lost the game, but the guys who gave up the big runs won't make this team.

Also, anyone notice Salmon so far this year. He just might be a sleeper. No ER yet.

OnBaseMachine
03-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Kind of funny. Cueto is one I figured didn't have a shot and he rocks and others you think are going to make it like Bruce or Homer and they just may not. It's exciting. I can't wait to see him pitch. I guess the 1st game on tv is Monday. Probably too soon for him again. Wish more games were on, but this outing was awesome. We lost the game, but the guys who gave up the big runs won't make this team.

Also, anyone notice Salmon so far this year. He just might be a sleeper. No ER yet.

Homer and Volquez are pitching Monday night...I'm pretty excited for that.

Reds1
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM

Very cool. I still see Volquez in the pen, but he looked like he did ok last outing. Some command issues. Love all these young pitchers with some heat though. thanks

dougdirt
03-07-2008, 08:40 PM

I am curious to if that holds true, or if tonights weather messes that schedule up a little bit or not.

OnBaseMachine
03-07-2008, 11:47 PM
This comes from a Canadien blogger with no Reds ties...

* I have seen the future and it looks a lot like Pedro Martinez. The single most impressive thing I've seen this spring was Cincinnati Reds prospect Johnny Cueto pitching against the Toronto Blue Jays.

My god, this guy looks like Pedro looked when he first came to the Montreal Expos - a little thicker through the hips, maybe, but he's got the jaunty leg and arm swing that Pedro has when he finishes off a pitch and feels as if he's healthy. Bill Lee once told friend Mitch Melnick that Pedro must be one helluva dancer because of the waye he uses his hips to generate power and the statement's kind of stuck with me. Oh, sure: you're already hearing some B.S. about whether or not Cueto's strong enough. Rubbish. Manager Dusty Baker, whose handling of young pitchers has never been a strong suit, is already saying he might let Cueto make the team as a reliever and build him up in the majors. Based on what I saw, I'd have no problem letting the guy run with it. There is nothing in spring training - nothing - that beats seeing a good young arm, either in a game or in the bullpen. Still takes your breath away.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080307.WBbaseball20080307121421/WBStory/WBbaseball

OnBaseMachine
03-07-2008, 11:51 PM
At 22, Cueto has Reds talking
Young pitcher throws 98 mph with a superb changeup, and Baker likes his work ethic.

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Saturday, March 08, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. — Johnny Cueto was a shy, quiet kid of 19 from San Pedro de Macoris, the dirt-road Dominican town that produces major-league baseball players like Florida produces oranges.

It was three years ago, and the Reds had just hired Mario Soto to work in their Dominican camp when Cueto walked in. Soto had a one-word response the first time he saw Cueto throw: "Wow." Then two more words, "Wow, wow."

When he pitched for the Reds in the 1980s, Soto succeeded with two pitches — a better-than-average fastball and the world's best changeup, a pitch he still teaches. And Cueto was an eager, willing pupil.

Now Soto proudly talks about the changeup in Cueto's arsenal.

"That pitch is really working for him," said Soto. "We've worked and worked on it. It's a pitch you have to keep working on. And he likes the pitch. He enjoys throwing it."

The Pittsburgh Pirates didn't enjoy it Friday, March 7. Cueto buzzed through their everyday lineup for three innings, giving up no runs and one hit while striking out four — 37 pitches, 26 strikes. His fastball hit 98 miles per hour, but the money pitch is the changeup.

Cueto turned over a 4-0 lead to the bullpen, but the Reds lost, 13-8.

Said catcher Javier Valentin of Cueto, "The changeup is his best pitch. With that changeup, welcome to the big leagues. People say he is the next Pedro Martinez."

And some people say Cueto will be in the middle of the Reds rotation this year.

"That kid has really, really good stuff," said Ken Griffey Jr. after watching from his right field spot. "He is going to make it real tough on some guys who think they're going to be in the rotation. No. 34 (Homer Bailey) better step it up a notch."

The Mario Soto Deluxe Changeup isn't the only thing Soto likes about Cueto.

"Man, he has the arm and he has the pitches. It is just a matter of time," said Soto. "Everybody who watches him pitch likes him. The more you watch him, the more you like him.

"He is so comfortable pitching, especially for a kid. For the little time he has been pitching, he looks very calm on the mound. He has great mound presence. Nothing bothers him. He is not afraid to pitch inside, and that's a real good thing."

Manager Dusty Baker is as effusive over Cueto as Soto is.

"Some people live up to their hype, but most of the time they don't," said Baker. "Cueto has exceeded the hype so far. I've seen his demeanor, his actions, his desire inside.

"The last time he pitched, he was sick and we wanted to skip him. He didn't want to skip, and I like that. He comes to play, and it means he wants to try to make this team. You can't make it on the bench, and you can't make it in the training room.

"I like the young man because he is quiet and goes about his business," added Baker. "He is in good company because he is always around (closer) Francisco Cordero and Mario Soto. He couldn't choose two better to be around as far as working, attitude and the experience Mario has. He is never fooling around with kid's play."

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/03/07/ddn030808reds.html

red-in-la
03-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Can you imagine Mario Soto on this team? If Cueto is 80% of Soto in his prime, he is the Reds ACE right now.

I used to love to listen to Vin Scully announce games in which Soto pitched against his Dodgers. Scully just drooled with appreciation of the embarrassment Soto would wrought on them.

Superdude
03-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Did his changeup get a lot better or is this just the usual prospect hyperbole? Last year people summed it up as merely a good third pitch. This article makes him sound like Johan Santana.

dougdirt
03-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Did his changeup get a lot better or is this just the usual prospect hyperbole? Last year people summed it up as merely a good third pitch. This article makes him sound like Johan Santana.

Thats how I feel about it all right now. I wonder how much of it is 'shiny and new' syndrome. Obviously Cueto has good stuff, no one is going to question that, but from the reports we are hearing it sounds as if all of a sudden he throws harder and his change up is much improved from reports from the previous two years. Not saying it hasn't happened, but just curious as to if it did, or just a case of a bunch of people that have never seen him before seeing him for the first time.

Superdude
03-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Not saying it hasn't happened, but just curious as to if it did, or just a case of a bunch of people that have never seen him before seeing him for the first time.

I guess you can't rule out the improvement of his changeup. Latching onto Mario Soto is probably helpful. I'd like to see him stretched out a bit before I grant him another 2-3MPH on his fastball though. When you pitch three incredibly quick and boring innings, you can go at it pretty hard. I'd love to see him sitting at 94 in the 7th inning, but I'll take a wait and see on that.

Aronchis
03-08-2008, 01:08 AM
I guess you can't rule out the improvement of his changeup. Latching onto Mario Soto is probably helpful. I'd like to see him stretched out a bit before I grant him another 2-3MPH on his fastball though. When you pitch three incredibly quick and boring innings, you can go at it pretty hard. I'd love to see him sitting at 94 in the 7th inning, but I'll take a wait and see on that.

Good point. Besides, Johnny throwing all his guns lead to a very good performance and puts pressure on Bailey and Volquez.

redsrule2500
03-08-2008, 01:34 AM
This is so exciting to see so many young, talented pitchers for this team. I just hope they pan out!!!

Pass the Goldstar

dougdirt
03-08-2008, 02:36 AM

Of course at the same time he has been latched on with Soto for the last 3 years. Its not like his changeup went from something he learned to getting help with Soto in the offseason.

I am with you on your assessment of the velocity. Cueto threw 37 pitches, with incredible efficiency of course, but 37 pitches is something where one can ratchet it up a little more than usual.

OnBaseMachine
03-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Guys, it's not unusual for a young pitcher to improve one of his pitches. He always had a solid above average changeup, and after working with the master of changeups, it sounds as if the hard work with Soto has paid off and the changeup has gotten even better. Hopefully Homer Bailey and others are working with him as well.

princeton
03-08-2008, 09:48 AM
who wants to trade Cueto for Danny Haren or Erik Bedard?

OnBaseMachine
03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
The kid has it

By Hal McCoy | Saturday, March 8, 2008, 09:36 AM

The scouts seated around a table in the McKechnie Field media dining room late Friday afternoon were chattering like Alvin the Chipmunk.

Earlier in the day they had witnessed the three-inning performance of 22-year-old Cincinnati Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto, scribbling notes about his 97 to 98 miles an hour fastball, his tantalizing changeup and his seldom-used slider.

They were dazzled. And who wouldn’t be?

If they say this kid isn’t ready and don’t have him in the rotation on Opening Day, then they aren’t trying to win the division. Some say he isn’t experienced enough, only 61 innings last year at Class AA Chattanooga (6-3, 3.10) and only 22 innings at Class AAA Louisville (2-1, 2.05).

But for those of you who feel manager Dusty Baker doesn’t look kindly at young talent, well, if he follows his words with action, then minds might be changed.

Baker talked eloquently and positively about Cueto on Saturday morning.

Of the short experience, Baker said, “Everybody doesn’t have to go through the natural progression. Especially pitchers. I’ve seen a lot of pitchers go from Double-A to the majors. Who has looked better than Cueto’s performance yesterday? He has aligned himself with the other starters.

“If he has good stuff and control and guts, then he has a chance,” Baker added.

Isn’t that a perfect description of the 5-10, 183-pound Dominican?

“Yeah, and he doesn’t get rattled,” Baker added. “I saw Kerry Wood, Mark Prior and Carlos Zambrano come up with the Cubs. I don’t care who you are, if you have good stuff, you can make ‘em swing and miss or foul it off. If you don’t have good stuff, you better be perfect.”

Of Cueto’s velocity, Baker said, “Ninety-five is 95. If you can locate it at 97, whew, boy.”

It was mentioned that Cueto was throwing 97 Friday, clicking off some at 98.

“I believe that and it was an easy 97-98, easy. And with location,” Baker said. “With a nasty change-up and a slider. His delivery is consistent, which is what permits him to throw strikes and to throw hard with little effort.”

And his small stature doesn’t bother Baker…and it shouldn’t.

“He’s smaller than Pedro (Martinez) when Pedro came up,” said Baker. “As a player, I was wrong about Pedro. I thought they made a mistake when they took him out of long relief and made him a starter because I didn’t think he was big enough to be durable. But there have been a bunch of skinny little guys who were durable.

“If you passed Greg Maddux would you believe what he does? Looks like some school teacher,” Baker added. “‘Damn, dude? You got 300 wins?’ He’s been on the DL one time and that was when he got hit in the toe. And there have been some big ol’ King Kong dudes who can’t stay healthy.”

If all that isn’t a sincerely strong stamp of approval for Johnny Cueto, then there isn’t a Mercedes in the players’ parking lot.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

dougdirt
03-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Guys, it's not unusual for a young pitcher to improve one of his pitches. He always had a solid above average changeup, and after working with the master of changeups, it sounds as if the hard work with Soto has paid off and the changeup has gotten even better. Hopefully Homer Bailey and others are working with him as well.

Sure, its not unusual, its just strange that all of a sudden Cueto now is throwing significantly harder than usual and his changeup, that he has worked with Soto on for the last 3 years, all of a sudden went up another notch in an offseason. I hope its all true, but for right now, I am thinking its more of a 'never seen him before, stuff is really good' kind of thing on the change up and that his fastball is being successful (more so than usual) because he knows he is only out there for 20-40 pitches thus far.

OnBaseMachine
03-08-2008, 01:20 PM
The right-hander said he's been working on his change-up, and the results of mentoring by former Reds ace Mario Soto are showing.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080308/SPT04/803080379/

sonny
03-08-2008, 01:28 PM
This Cueto guy sounds pretty good.

But seriously, I find it funny that his expectation to be in the rotation comes off as confident and sure of his abilities, whereas Homer is cocky and hard headed. Maybe if Bailey had a better personality, he would be considered confident and sure.

"Of course, he'd have to have to be one charming pig though, 10 times more charming that that pig on Green Acres."

traderumor
03-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I had to laugh listening to the Hot Stove League show for a few minutes the other night and this hooked on phonics gent called in and said "this Cueto (phonetically pronounced it Cue-to [as in "cue ball"]) sounds pretty good."

paulrichjr
03-08-2008, 05:39 PM

But seriously, I find it funny that his expectation to be in the rotation comes off as confident and sure of his abilities, whereas Homer is cocky and hard headed. Maybe if Bailey had a better personality, he would be considered confident and sure.

"Of course, he'd have to have to be one charming pig though, 10 times more charming that that pig on Green Acres."

I think Homer's problem is he is regarded as stubborn and hard headed AND cocky. Cueto is regarded as confident because he isn't stubbron and hard headed. The article talks about his time with Soto, while too many articles have been written, about Bailey not wanting to learn a new way, to completely discount the fact that it might be true.

Chip R
03-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Homer was the darling of ST last year. Never heard a word about him being uncoachable last year. It wasn't his attitude that got him sent down it was his performance. People were saying he just needs a little more time to fine tune his stuff in LOU. If he is such a bad guy, why were the same media people clamoring for the Reds to bring him up last year?

Spitball
03-08-2008, 06:17 PM

I believe the "cocky and hard headed" perception of Bailey comes from eye-witness stories that have appeared in the newspaper and on the internet. There is not some conspiracy against Bailey, and there would be no reason to assume there is a double standard being applied to two young pitchers. That would not make any sense at all.

jojo
03-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Homer was the darling of ST last year. Never heard a word about him being uncoachable last year. It wasn't his attitude that got him sent down it was his performance. People were saying he just needs a little more time to fine tune his stuff in LOU. If he is such a bad guy, why were the same media people clamoring for the Reds to bring him up last year?

When you're up and confident, you have swagger indicating a good makeup. When you're down and confident, you're cocky indicating a problematic make up.

The trick is to never be down..... :cool:

Everybody has a different learning curve and it's very possible Homer is the kind of individual that needs to touch the flame. That said, I think he is known as both a hard worker and a student of his craft.

As for the media, well, the easy story is the easiest to write.

red-in-la
03-09-2008, 12:07 AM

Faster than you can say......well......idiot.

I would think the last few weeks would display how much distance there is between prospect and successful major leaguer.

:eek:

Screwball
03-09-2008, 06:44 AM
If he is such a bad guy, why were the same media people clamoring for the Reds to bring him up last year?

Because the press is incredibly fickle.

Jpup
03-09-2008, 08:55 AM

in a second.

redsfan4445
03-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I cant wait to see him starting for our beloved Cincinnati Reds... I see him as the #3 and if he continues to improve, skipping over Arroyo to #2 behind Harang!!.. I am soooo glad the Reds didnt trade him for Blanton!! Bailey YES, Cueto NO..

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Cueto went a long way in helping his cause for making the Reds Opening Day rotation tonight. Against the Phillies A lineup (who played the whole game btw), Cueto threw 4 innings of 1-hit shutout ball and retired Utley/Howard/Burrell in order in the 9th.

Cueto's final line from tonight: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.

Updated spring stats:

9 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 8 K, 1.00 ERA

Raisor
03-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Cueto went a long way in helping his cause for making the Reds Opening Day rotation tonight. Against the Phillies A lineup (who played the whole game btw), Cueto threw 4 innings of 1-hit shutout ball and retired Utley/Howard/Burrell in order in the 9th.

Cueto's final line from tonight: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.

Updated spring stats:

9 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 8 K, 1.00 ERA

He needs to up his K rate.

Slacker.

:cool:

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2008, 09:51 PM
To steal a line from Trent's blog, Johan Santana wears Johnny Cueto pajamas to bed.

Matt700wlw
03-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Would that make him available again on Monday? That would be an ESPN game vs Detroit at 1:05...

reds44
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
From Fay:

This just in: Johnny Cueto's good.

He went four innings against Phillies and allowed a hit, a walk, hit a batter and struck out two. 49 pitches, 33 strikes.

He worked out of a jam -- thanks to a Ryan Howard double play -- after giving up a single and hitting a batter in the sixth. That was the only trouble he get in. He faced the minimum nine batters in the seventh, eighth and ninth.

He faced the heart of the Phillies' order twice. He retired Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Pat Burrell a second time to close out the game.

Cueto's up to nine innings this spring. He's allowed one run on six hits. He's walked one and struck out eight.

I see no way he doesn't make the rotation.

Dusty Baker gushed a bit about Cueto before the game. He said he didn't spend a lot of time reading reports on the Cueto before spring training.

“I read but I scanned,” Baker said. “I didn’t want to be persuaded one way or other, so I didn’t really study, study. . . I’m not distrusting of reports; it’s just I trust my own eyes more.”

So what do his eyes tell him?

“Same thing yours tell you,” Baker said.

That is to say Cueto has off-the-chart stuff.

“I’ve had some really good people tell me about Cueto – guys from other organizations who had nothing to gain by telling me what they told me,” Baker said.
Cueto has looked extremely good.

“Spring ain’t over,” Baker said. “Just pitch, son, that’s all. No pressure, no expectations. Just pitch.

“I’ve got some expectations. I ain’t going to tell him yet. That comes later. Next year or two years.”

Tommyjohn25
03-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Would that make him available again on Monday? That would be an ESPN game vs Detroit at 1:05...

Really? I'm not showing it on my guide, are you sure it's on?

Raisor
03-12-2008, 10:01 PM

I just checked the guide, and there doesn't seem to be an ESPN game for monday at 1. Detroit is playing the Nats on Tuesday on ESPN.

Matt700wlw
03-12-2008, 10:04 PM
I just checked the guide, and there doesn't seem to be an ESPN game for monday at 1. Detroit is playing the Nats on Tuesday on ESPN.

FSN, sorry...FSN Ohio. I looked at it too fast.

Gainesville Red
03-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Is it regional or something? I'm not seeing any baseball coverage Monday on my guide.

Matt700wlw
03-12-2008, 10:05 PM
It's FSN...my fault.

Tommyjohn25
03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
FSN, sorry...FSN Ohio. I looked at it too fast.

NOOOOOOO!!!! I won't get it! I just moved to Charlotte! Matt, my heart lept, it lept....and then.....sorrow.

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2008, 10:33 PM
On the Q-T with Cueto

By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 03:44 PM
Latest comment

This one stunned even me - because I’ve been covering this team for 36 years and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything this strong from a scout.

A scout who once pitched successfully in the major leagues and whose opinion I trust implicitly, has seen young Johnny Cueto pitch every time he has pitch this spring. BEFORE Cueto’s appearance Wednesday night against the Phillies this scout said:

“Cueto is that team’s ace. Right now.”

Yikes. Pretty strong stuff, huh?

Then Cueto pitched the last four innings of a 6-1 win over the Phillies and even when he is less than glamorous he is pretty cute.

With a new shaved head, Cueto hit the first batter he faced and gave up a bloop single to the second hitter he faced. Then he got a double play and a pop-up.

Then he pitched a 1-2-3 inning with two punchouts and when his night was over his line was: 4 innings, 0 runs, 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 hit batsman, two strikeouts. And this didn’t come against a Phill-in Phillies team. It was the big boys - Ryan Howard, Pat Burrell, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Geoff Jenkins - everybody but Richie Allen and Richie Ashburn.

The kid has style and pizz-zazz and is confident enough in himself to shave off his straggly hair when he was doing good and risking a dose of bad luck from the Superstitious Gods.

“He ain’t Samson,” said manager Dusty Baker. You could have fooled the Phillies, who took some swings that looked like Delilah twirling a broom. He threw 49 pitches, 33 for strikes.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Chip R
03-12-2008, 10:35 PM
On the Q-T with Cueto

Latest comment

This one stunned even me - because I’ve been covering this team for 36 years and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything this strong from a scout.

A scout who once pitched successfully in the major leagues and whose opinion I trust implicitly, has seen young Johnny Cueto pitch every time he has pitch this spring. BEFORE Cueto’s appearance Wednesday night against the Phillies this scout said:

Wow! No kidding.

sonny
03-12-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm here gettin' all excited to see this guy in the rotation this year.

red-in-la
03-12-2008, 11:31 PM
On the Q-T with Cueto

Latest comment

Then Cueto pitched the last four innings of a 6-1 win over the Phillies and even when he is less than glamorous he is pretty cute.

With a new shaved head, Cueto hit the first batter he faced and gave up a bloop single to the second hitter he faced. Then he got a double play and a pop-up.

Then he pitched a 1-2-3 inning with two punchouts and when his night was over his line was: 4 innings, 0 runs, 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 hit batsman, two strikeouts. And this didn’t come against a Phill-in Phillies team. It was the big boys - Ryan Howard, Pat Burrell, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Geoff Jenkins - everybody but Richie Allen and Richie Ashburn.

The kid has style and pizz-zazz and is confident enough in himself to shave off his straggly hair when he was doing good and risking a dose of bad luck from the Superstitious Gods.

“He ain’t Samson,” said manager Dusty Baker. You could have fooled the Phillies, who took some swings that looked like Delilah twirling a broom. He threw 49 pitches, 33 for strikes.

So does Baker pull a Mark Prior on Cueto? Cueto has pitched a lot of innings in the past year.....just sayin'

Matt700wlw
03-12-2008, 11:32 PM
NOOOOOOO!!!! I won't get it! I just moved to Charlotte! Matt, my heart lept, it lept....and then.....sorrow.

Sorry....I misinformed the public...a media no no :nono: ;)

dougdirt
03-12-2008, 11:47 PM
So does Baker pull a Mark Prior on Cueto? Cueto has pitched a lot of innings in the past year.....just sayin'

Doubtful. Bailey had a pitch count last year. Cueto will likely have one this year.

While the innings put a hurting on Prior, it didn't help that over his final 10 starts of the year he had pitch counts of 116, 118, 100, 116, 131, 129, 109, 124, 131 and 133. Not only was he likely worn from the season, he was also even more worn toward the end of games.

He was well into the season at that point and averaged 121 pitches over his final 10 starts of the year.... not even counting the playoffs where he threw 132, 119 and 115.

Every pitcher on the Reds should have at most, a pitch count of 115 pitches except Aaron Harang who gets 120. I don't think it will happen, but it should. Cueto should be capped at 110 pitches all year.

red-in-la
03-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Doubtful. Bailey had a pitch count last year. Cueto will likely have one this year.

While the innings put a hurting on Prior, it didn't help that over his final 10 starts of the year he had pitch counts of 116, 118, 100, 116, 131, 129, 109, 124, 131 and 133. Not only was he likely worn from the season, he was also even more worn toward the end of games.

He was well into the season at that point and averaged 121 pitches over his final 10 starts of the year.... not even counting the playoffs where he threw 132, 119 and 115.

Every pitcher on the Reds should have at most, a pitch count of 115 pitches except Aaron Harang who gets 120. I don't think it will happen, but it should. Cueto should be capped at 110 pitches all year.

This is Dusty Baker we are talking about.

dougdirt
03-12-2008, 11:57 PM
This is Dusty Baker we are talking about.

Yeah, it is.... and Wayne had pitch counts on Bailey last year and I am sure he will this year. I just hope he is smart enough to cap the other guys too.

Seriously, a 22 year old Mark Prior threw 15 of his 30 games with 115 or more pitches. Aaron Harang had 8 such games last year in 34 starts. Boggles my mind that someone gave him a job with so much young pitching......

M2
03-13-2008, 12:23 AM
The good news is Cueto's so efficient he's a bit immune to ridiculously high pitch counts. Really the only way to get his pitch total inflate is to cuff him around and if that happens then he'll be yanked anyway.

Jpup
03-13-2008, 01:13 AM
when you are saying Cueto is better than Aaron Harang, your judgement should be questioned. He may be good but that's not even fair to Cueto.

fearofpopvol1
03-13-2008, 02:35 AM
when you are saying Cueto is better than Aaron Harang, your judgement should be questioned. He may be good but that's not even fair to Cueto.

You can blame Hal more than the scout who said it. The scout didn't publish it and maybe it is his opinion. That doesn't mean you, or I or anyone else agrees, but it's his opinion.

OnBaseMachine
03-13-2008, 06:41 AM
Cueto continues to shine
Reds righty adds four scoreless frames to resume
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Right-hander Johnny Cueto emphatically made his case, again, that he should be part of the Reds rotation.

"I think so. I'm working on it," said Cueto on Wednesday after dealing four scoreless innings of relief for a save in the Reds' 6-1 win over the Phillies.

Before the game, one observer believed the Reds should aim higher.

"He's your ace ... right now," a Major League scout opined before Wednesday's Reds-Phillies game.

Cueto allowed one hit, one walk and hit a batter. He struck out two. His outing consisted of 49 pitches, including 33 strikes. It was a strong follow-up to his impressive three-scoreless-inning start vs. the Pirates on Friday.

"I'm happy because I pitched good," Cueto said through teammate and interpreter Jolbert Cabrera.

Entering in the sixth, Cueto started by giving up Greg Dobbs' blooped single near the left-field foul line and then hit Chase Utley in the leg with a fastball. But, he escaped when he got Ryan Howard to ground into a 4-6-3 double play. Pat Burrell popped out behind the plate.

"Cueto was a little out of his routine," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He wasn't quite as sharp. He didn't get to prepare like he usually does before the game. He was very good, again."

In the 1-2-3 seventh, Cueto struck out two batters, including Geoff Jenkins on a hard pitch in the dirt.

"He looked good. It looked like he had real good stuff," Jenkins said. "He was keeping us off balance. His fastball was moving good."

In the ninth, Cueto finished with three flyouts to center field. On one of the at-bats, with Howard, he fell into a 3-0 count but didn't give in and got him out with a 3-2 pitch.

"That young man comes to pitch," Baker said. "He doesn't want to give up anything. He continues to impress."

Through three games, including one start, Cueto has a 1.00 ERA and eight strikeouts in nine innings with just one walk. He has continued to set the bar high in his competition for a rotation spot against Homer Bailey, Edinson Volquez, Matt Belisle, Josh Fogg and Jeremy Affeldt.

"I had some really good people tell me about Cueto," Baker said. "People from other organizations that had nothing to gain from telling me."

Upon taking over as manager of the Reds, Baker was handed dossiers about all of his new players and prospects, including Cueto.

Baker didn't want to read the reports too closely, however.

"I scanned a lot,'" Baker said before Wednesday's game. "Sometimes reports are a matter of interpretation. Not that I distrust the reports or anything. I'm more trusting of my eyes."

What did Baker's eyes say about Cueto?

"The same thing they're telling you," Baker said.

If that's the case, Cueto could be pitching in Cincinnati come April.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080312&content_id=2422375&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

princeton
03-13-2008, 08:52 AM

Let me interpret because, as we know, I speak scout

Aaron's a 2. This scout believes that Cueto has a chance to be a 1.