PDA

View Full Version : Patton out for year; interesting quote from MacPhail

princeton
03-08-2008, 10:58 AM
LHP Troy Patton (a princeton cyberdraftee obtained in the Tejada trade) just got shut down for season with labrum surgery. Interestingly the O's seem to have known that this was a strong possibility

Patton was shut down in Houston last September with left biceps tendinitis, so the Orioles knew there was a chance he would have problems with his left arm this spring. Before the trade with the Astros was completed, Baltimore was provided an MRI of Patton's left shoulder.

"It's pretty much what I expected. I could've gone a different way (but) sometimes you've got to go the high-risk, high-reward type deal," said Andy MacPhail, president of baseball operations. "I could've had a different player in there, but (Patton is) 22, left-handed and already worked his way to the big leagues. I can wait."

I'm not sure that MacPhail's quote wasn't taken out of context. No way I make a guy with a labrum problem a key part of a trade.

Hoosier Red
03-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I think what he meant to say was,

"Well Miguel Tejada was going to the Astros, and we just felt it was really important to make the trade on Tuesday, because there was something about it being done on Thursday that makes me think it would have fallen through."

traderumor
03-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Brandon Claussen part duex

vaticanplum
03-08-2008, 08:52 PM
The existence of the Orioles makes me relieved to be a Reds fan. That's saying something.

Chip R
03-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure that MacPhail's quote wasn't taken out of context. No way I make a guy with a labrum problem a key part of a trade.

I think working for the Cubs is the baseball equivilant of a lobotomy.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Jim Bowden- hurriedly looking for MacPhail's phone number.

WVRed
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I think the Orioles were looking to unload him to distance themselves from the Mitchell Report.

PuffyPig
03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Getting rid of Tejada was the key.

Patton's value was less because of the pending surgery.

I still do that trade if I'm Baltimore.

Raisor
03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
can I ask what a "cyberdraftee" is? If it's what I think it is, I'm taking Krono with my pick.

KronoRed
03-09-2008, 11:40 PM
I hustle.

Reds Nd2
03-09-2008, 11:42 PM
can I ask what a "cyberdraftee" is?

More importantly, can I get a shot for it?