PDA

View Full Version : Jorge Cantu possibly favored to win Marlins' 3B job

Blitz Dorsey
03-11-2008, 01:34 AM
The Marlins are just looking for warm bodies this year following their latest firesale, but I found this tidbit from CBS Sportsline interesting:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cantu now favored to win 3B job?

Jorge Cantu, 1B FLA

News: Marlins INF Jorge Cantu, according to the The Sports Xchange, has gained ground on Jose Castillo in the battle to start at third base. Cantu hit a double in three consecutive innings March 8 and drove in five runs to lead the Marlins to a 12-4 win against the Mets at Tradition Field. "He's been real impressive the whole camp," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "The way he's been swinging the bat in the games, and the way he's been going about his business. The whole package, he's been real impressive."

Analysis: After a 1-for-3 performance March 9, Cantu was batting .407. Through the weekend, both Castillo and Dallas McPherson were batting less than .190. The Marlins like Castillo's defense, but don't be surprised if McPherson winds up starting the year in the minors while Castillo and Cantu platoon.

Jpup
03-11-2008, 07:28 AM
not much competition at the hot corner in Miami.

Will M
03-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Jorge Cantu seemed perfectly ok as a RH platoon 1B and pinch hitter. I still scratch my head as to why we released him.

Blitz Dorsey
03-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Jorge Cantu seemed perfectly ok as a RH platoon 1B and pinch hitter. I still scratch my head as to why we released him.

That is what I would thinking as well. Maybe he had an attitude problem and was a bad clubhouse guy. That is the only thing I can figure out. Because judging just from the numbers, if the Reds had a chance to keep this guy for cheap (and they did) as RHH bench player, it doesn't make any sense to cut him. Oh well, not exactly the type of move that is going to make or break a season, but certainly a head-scratcher like you said.

M2
03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
I miss Jorge Cantu like I miss that time when I had mono. If the Marlins intend to start him that team is worse off than I thought and I thought they were built to lose 95.

flyer85
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Jorge Cantu seemed perfectly ok as a RH platoon 1B and pinch hitter. I still scratch my head as to why we released him.The Reds didn't want to pay the money he would have gotten in arbitration.

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Cantu doesn't hit lefties (or righties for that matter) particularly well and plays terrible defense. The Reds don't miss him.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
The Reds didn't want to pay the money he would have gotten in arbitration.

Makes sense, but then I don't understand why they picked up Cantu in the first place. They knew he was up for arbitration in 2008.

KronoRed
03-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Cantu doesn't hit lefties (or righties for that matter) particularly well and plays terrible defense. The Reds don't miss him.

In other words He stinks, the Marlins don't want to rush the kids and don't mind watching the stinking for a few months.

ramp101
03-11-2008, 11:50 PM
I miss Jorge Cantu like I miss that time when I had mono. If the Marlins intend to start him that team is worse off than I thought and I thought they were built to lose 95.

he's gonna win the job, only one of Castillo and McDallas that is hitting so far

ramp101
03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
In other words He stinks, the Marlins don't want to rush the kids and don't mind watching the stinking for a few months.

he won't be blocking anyone

M2
03-11-2008, 11:57 PM
he's gonna win the job, only one of Castillo and McDallas that is hitting so far

Well, it's not like he's up against two world-beaters there. It's also early March. When the games start counting I doubt it will be long before you're thinking, "Hey, we need a 3B."

ramp101
03-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Well, it's not like he's up against two world-beaters there. It's also early March. When the games start counting I doubt it will be long before you're thinking, "Hey, we need a 3B."

I have a feeling with any of the 3, we'll be thinking that

TRF
03-12-2008, 11:46 AM

I can't for the life of me figure out why he was acquired in the first place.

Blitz Dorsey
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I didn't even know we had a Marlins fan as a member of the ORG.

TRF
03-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Ramp's been around these parts for a long time.

ramp101
03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I didn't even know we had a Marlins fan as a member of the ORG.

now you know

and knowing is half the battle

Raisor
03-12-2008, 08:16 PM
I miss Jorge Cantu like I miss that time when I had mono.

The "kissing disease".

Playa.

:cool:

Jpup
03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
What happened to Marlins third baseman Jorge Cantu? How did he go from being an afterthought a year ago in Tampa Bay and Cincinnati to becoming one of the hottest hitters this spring? The answer to that mystery lies in a swimming pool in Houston, where Cantu's career was reenergized because of a unique offseason program that pushes players by using everything from underwater exercises to yoga to swinging chains. ''We have our own techniques,'' trainer Dennis Fay said of the Texas Sports Medicine facility in Houston. ``We use water exercises, breathing-underwater drills, extreme yoga. We work on a player's bat speed with a series of chains. The chains are on a handle, and they swing the chains to build up their speed.'' Unconventional? ''It works,'' Cantu said. ``That was the key for me being really strong this spring, Dennis Fay. He pushed me to the max to see what was my strength level.'' Give an assist to Cincinnati's Adam Dunn, who liked Fay's program so much he persuaded Cantu to enlist in the four-month ordeal. -- Miami Herald

Cyclone792
03-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Give an assist to Cincinnati's Adam Dunn, who liked Fay's program so much he persuaded Cantu to enlist in the four-month ordeal. -- Miami Herald

How could this be true? A bunch of Reds fans I've heard from always tell me that Dunn doesn't do anything in the offseason but play video games.

Jpup
03-24-2008, 11:39 AM
How could this be true? A bunch of Reds fans I've heard from always tell me that Dunn doesn't do anything in the offseason but play video games.

maybe he's playing the Wii a lot. ;)

Dunner looks to be in great shape this spring and obviously he's been working hard.

Highlifeman21
03-24-2008, 11:40 AM

And fish and hunt.

Can't forget those.

pahster
03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
And fish and hunt.

Can't forget those.

While drunk.

Highlifeman21
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
While drunk.

In Texas, fishing and hunting aren't done properly unless drunk. I hear driving is in the same category.

Team Clark
03-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Dunn, by his own admission in the Enquirer and IIRC the Dayton Daily News has typically done little or nothing, baseball wise, in the off season in years past. This is not breaking news. There was a pretty good article not that long ago about Dunn just chillin in the off season and going to his favorite restaurant every day.

I had to chuckle when I read this Cantu article. Just because Dunn recommended it doesn't mean he actually did it himself.

Last year and a little bit this year were really the first times I ever heard Dunn mention working out or swinging a bat in the off season. He worked out with Bruce a few times, talked shop with a few minor leaguers, hit a little, went to therapy for his knee and that was about it. Griff used to be that way too until he started to get a little older. Maybe with Dunn's knee giving him problems he started taking the off season a bit more serious.

Jpup
03-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Dunn, by his own admission in the Enquirer and IIRC the Dayton Daily News has typically done little or nothing, baseball wise, in the off season in years past. This is not breaking news. There was a pretty good article not that long ago about Dunn just chillin in the off season and going to his favorite restaurant every day.

I had to chuckle when I read this Cantu article. Just because Dunn recommended it doesn't mean he actually did it himself.

Last year and a little bit this year were really the first times I ever heard Dunn mention working out or swinging a bat in the off season. He worked out with Bruce a few times, talked shop with a few minor leaguers, hit a little, went to therapy for his knee and that was about it. Griff used to be that way too until he started to get a little older. Maybe with Dunn's knee giving him problems he started taking the off season a bit more serious.

Have you seen him this spring?

M2
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Are we talking about the same Adam Dunn who went to Tampa in the offseason to train with Jr. and Larkin back in the early part of this decade?

I guess he just ate pizza while they did cardio.

OnBaseMachine
03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Are we talking about the same Adam Dunn who went to Tampa in the offseason to train with Jr. and Larkin back in the early part of this decade?

It's amazing the lengths people will go to to bash Adam Dunn isn't it? This guy is one the best hitters to wear a Reds uniform in a long time and yet people still go out of there way to bash him. If he were a bad guy I could maybe understand it a little better, but Dunn is the exact opposite of that. He's a great guy and loved by his teammates. It's truly baffling to me why Dunn gets treated the way he does.

TRF
03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
First of all, Dunn's knee problem was a torn meniscus. That usually isn't the result of a lack of conditioning. And the rehab for it is almost nothing. My son was running full speed in a week after his surgery, and he had a major tear. There is nothing to rehab, just getting a little strength back.

Dunn's a naturally big guy, one I am glad isn't ripped like a Glen Braggs was. He'd be injured all the time if he were. Guys that size need a little cushion.

Team Clark
03-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Have you seen him this spring?

Not yet. I know last Spring he looked pretty good. Hopefully this year he looks the same or better.

Team Clark
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM

Hanging out at Junior's house and Larkin's guest house isn't exaclty working out. Having been to both of those homes and knowing the circumstances I can tell you that it is hard to work out. Kearns was there too. It wasn't Tampa either. It was Orlando. Kearns and Dunn were supposed to stay for about 10 days and ended up there a little over a month. The big attraction was Junior first big boat that they took on a a couple 4-5 day trips.

Jpup
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Not yet. I know last Spring he looked pretty good. Hopefully this year he looks the same or better.

much better than I have even seen him.

M2
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Hanging out at Junior's house and Larkin's guest house isn't exaclty working out. Having been to both of those homes and knowing the circumstances I can tell you that it is hard to work out. Kearns was there too. It wasn't Tampa either. It was Orlando. Kearns and Dunn were supposed to stay for about 10 days and ended up there a little over a month. The big attraction was Junior first big boat that they took on a a couple 4-5 day trips.

Well I guess they're all liars then. Though it's odd how Larkin stayed in top shape through age 40 thanks to the power of bass fishing.

pahster
03-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Well I guess they're all liars then. Though it's odd how Larkin stayed in top shape through age 40 thanks to the power of bass fishing.

If it's anything like Wii fishing, it's gotta be pretty high impact.

Gainesville Red
03-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I think you guys are missing the important thing about the article.

Jorge Cantu has taken a big step in human evolution.

breathing-underwater drills

Now we can finally take back Atlantis from Namor and Aquaman.

Team Clark
03-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Well I guess they're all liars then.

There are A LOT of guys that don't do a thing until January. If you can get away with doing that I really don't see the problem. You come to camp and you're ready to go, hey good for you.

As far as me bashing someone... I have given Dunn a lot more props in the last two years than ever. I even mentioned that Dunn has started to do more in the last two years than his previous years. This isn't a revelation. Again, by his own admission he hasn't done very much in the offseason as a whole. If it works for him it works for him. I was mightily impressed at the way he came into camp last year. Not sure why you are trying to admonish me over the facts. I could really care less if Dunn or anybody else never touched a glove, bat or weights. As long as he's ready to go when camp opens he could live on the moon from Oct to Feb for all I care. Just don't act like he's Jack LaLane in the off season.

Team Clark
03-24-2008, 12:45 PM

Did I say Larkin wasn't working out? Sure didn't. Larkin was heavily involved in Tae Kwon Do in the off season. He also was part of an "acceleration" academy that helped him with his footwork and agility. Deion used to go with him on occasion. Never seen anybody move that quick. Deion can catch a few bass too.

M2
03-24-2008, 12:55 PM
There are A LOT of guys that don't do a thing until January. If you can get away with doing that I really don't see the problem. You come to camp and you're ready to go, hey good for you.

As far as me bashing someone... I have given Dunn a lot more props in the last two years than ever. I even mentioned that Dunn has started to do more in the last two years than his previous years. This isn't a revelation. Again, by his own admission he hasn't done very much in the offseason as a whole. If it works for him it works for him. I was mightily impressed at the way he came into camp last year. Not sure why you are trying to admonish me over the facts. I could really care less if Dunn or anybody else never touched a glove, bat or weights. As long as he's ready to go when camp opens he could live on the moon from Oct to Feb for all I care. Just don't act like he's Jack LaLane in the off season.

I never suggested he was a fitness freak, but he did more than "little or nothing." Jr.'s had to do some serious rehab pretty much every winter he's been with the team. Larkin pretty much was Jack LaLane. Those two, indisputably, were working out. Wasn't Boone part of the workout group as well? He's always been a fit fellow.

I'm sure it wasn't all work and no play, but if Dunn spent better than a month around guys who were working out (and, IIRC, this was multiple offseasons), then I find it difficult to believe he blew off the workouts. That would cheese off the vets in short order.

Dunn needed to pay less attention to strength and more to general fitness and flexibility. Like you mentioned, he probably needed to spend more of the offseason working out, but the guy did spend a decent chunk of every offseason with a group of players who were in training. That's something.

Team Clark
03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Dunn needed to pay less attention to strength and more to general fitness and flexibility. Like you mentioned, he probably needed to spend more of the offseason working out, but the guy did spend a decent chunk of every offseason with a group of players who were in training. That's something.

I can agree with you 100% there. I can say with absolute certainty that just by being around Griff and Lark in the off season you can learn a great deal. Say what you will about them on the field but both are as SOLID as it gets off the field.

Deion stopped by a lot, I honestly do not remember if Boone was there or not.

Again, I am not trying to put a black cloud over the past. I am PROUD that Adam NOW does more than he ever has to prepare for the season. Maybe a few late season injuries or the wear and tear on his body has convinced him to do more. In any case I am very glad that he is moving forward. Like I said earlier, Griffey went through the same growing pains. Now he works out religously.

jmcclain19
03-25-2008, 03:21 AM
now you know

and knowing is half the battle

Yo Joe