PDA

View Full Version : John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

Chip R
03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080312/ap_on_sp_go_ne/glf_bay_hill_daly

WMR
03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Somebody get this man a reality show. :D

texasdave
03-12-2008, 05:13 PM
John Daly - Grip it and Tip it. =)

Unassisted
03-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Daly has had multiple interventions and refuses to change his lifestyle. He isn't going have much more life to go through or many more opportunities to play in tournaments if he doesn't make some changes.

camisadelgolf
03-12-2008, 05:56 PM
He's the Chris Farley of golf.

Oxilon
03-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Daly has had multiple interventions and refuses to change his lifestyle. He isn't going have much more life to go through or many more opportunities to play in tournaments if he doesn't make some changes.

Daly still has yet to hit rock bottom. And, as he's already a millionaire, and will continue to make money by accepting invitations to tournaments, I don't see rock bottom in the foreseeable future.

Highlifeman21
03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
In his defense, he was given the wrong tee time for his Pro-Am round. He was given his tee time for Round 1, and showed up at that time for the Pro-Am, which was incorrect.

Imada and O'Hern also missed their tee times for the Pro-Am due to the same mix up, but no one's making a big deal about them.

John Daly may very well be his own worst enemy, but I can't help but root for the guy week to week. He has one of the best short games I've ever seen, some of the softest hands (which lead to great touch), and he's been a hell of a great guy to me the times I've been in his company. John Daly's biggest problem is he wants to please everyone, and in the process can't even please himself.

JD needs to worry about #1 for a little while, and he'll be just fine.

Highlifeman21
03-12-2008, 07:10 PM

He used to have one on the Golf Channel.

Betterread
03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
In his defense, he was given the wrong tee time for his Pro-Am round. He was given his tee time for Round 1, and showed up at that time for the Pro-Am, which was incorrect.

Imada and O'Hern also missed their tee times for the Pro-Am due to the same mix up, but no one's making a big deal about them.

John Daly may very well be his own worst enemy, but I can't help but root for the guy week to week. He has one of the best short games I've ever seen, some of the softest hands (which lead to great touch), and he's been a hell of a great guy to me the times I've been in his company. John Daly's biggest problem is he wants to please everyone, and in the process can't even please himself.

JD needs to worry about #1 for a little while, and he'll be just fine.

It is decent of you to defend Daly, who I agree seems to be a friendly, approachable guy. Even though I'm not a fan of his swing, I also root for him to do well.

WMR
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Daly still has yet to hit rock bottom. And, as he's already a millionaire, and will continue to make money by accepting invitations to tournaments, I don't see rock bottom in the foreseeable future.

It's unfortunate, but Daly will likely die before he ever hits rock bottom.

TeamSelig
03-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Makes me think of Mitch Hedburg... alcholism is the only disease you can get yelled at for having

Oxilon
03-12-2008, 11:19 PM
It's unfortunate, but Daly will likely die before he ever hits rock bottom.

Let's not get carried away here. Is Daly an alcoholic? Yes. Is it going to ruin any personal relationships he has with friends and family? There's a good chance. Will it cost him his life? Most likely not.

Indeed, Daly is an alcoholic. But there are millions of alcoholics around the United States today. Unfortunately it's a very common disease that leads to many calamitous endings. But direct death due to alcoholism is usually not one of those endings.

KronoRed
03-12-2008, 11:20 PM

Well according to some loon on FSN radio Daly is better for golf then Tiger Woods because he's more of a story.

Redhook
03-12-2008, 11:24 PM
I've been in Daly's Winnebago at West Orange CC. That's gotta count for something, right?

Seriously, Daly is a good dude, but his priorities are all screwed up. Butch calling him out might do him some good. Who knows? Daly has had as many ups and downs as the stock market this year, I just hope he gets it figured out before it gets the best of him. Good luck John!!

WMR
03-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Let's not get carried away here. Is Daly an alcoholic? Yes. Is it going to ruin any personal relationships he has with friends and family? There's a good chance. Will it cost him his life? Most likely not.

Indeed, Daly is an alcoholic. But there are millions of alcoholics around the United States today. Unfortunately it's a very common disease that leads to many calamitous endings. But direct death due to alcoholism is usually not one of those endings.

The man is a heart attack waiting to happen. He's obese, he drinks like a fish, and smokes like a chimney.

Oxilon
03-13-2008, 12:45 AM
The man is a heart attack waiting to happen. He's obese, he drinks like a fish, and smokes like a chimney.

Alright, I'll give you the heart attack argument. I guess I overlooked that (I don't know how, I guess I just forgot about his obesity).

Redhook
03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
It still surprises me that the PGA Tour doesn't allow a player one free pass per year to miss a pro-am. The pro-ams are an integral part of the PGA Tour and I'm not downplaying them, but a player should be able to miss one during the season. Misinformation, accidents, family obligations, etc. happen. Plus, over half the field doesn't play in the pro-ams so getting an alternate to fill-in wouldn't be much of a problem.

I believe something similar happened to Goosen last year or the year before. Daly was given wrong information from the tournament office. It happens. Should he have double-checked? Probably. But, I doubt a lot of players double-check it.

I wish Daly would take his life and his golf game a little more seriously. He's very talented and good for the game when he's on. We'll see what this latest event does to him. Will it be positive or negative? I don't think anyone knows including John.

Highlifeman21
03-13-2008, 12:00 PM
It still surprises me that the PGA Tour doesn't allow a player one free pass per year to miss a pro-am. The pro-ams are an integral part of the PGA Tour and I'm not downplaying them, but a player should be able to miss one during the season. Misinformation, accidents, family obligations, etc. happen. Plus, over half the field doesn't play in the pro-ams so getting an alternate to fill-in wouldn't be much of a problem.

I believe something similar happened to Goosen last year or the year before. Daly was given wrong information from the tournament office. It happens. Should he have double-checked? Probably. But, I doubt a lot of players double-check it.

I wish Daly would take his life and his golf game a little more seriously. He's very talented and good for the game when he's on. We'll see what this latest event does to him. Will it be positive or negative? I don't think anyone knows including John.

And it wasn't like JD simply didn't show up. He showed up at the time he was told. Unfortunately, that time was for his 1st Round, not his Pro-Am.

Like I previously said, if this was anyone but JD, this wouldn't be news. The only reason anyone's making a fuss about this, is b/c Butch Harmon called out JD as an alcoholic pretending to be a golfer. So, the media's trying to make this an issue that his drinking caused him to be late for his tee time. Maybe that's the case, maybe it's not.

Redhook
03-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I'd bet my Wilson 8802 that drinking wasn't the reason JD missed his pro-am tee-time. S**t happens unfortunately, and for John, that pile fell on him big-time this week.

RFS62
03-13-2008, 11:32 PM
I'd bet my Wilson 8802 that drinking wasn't the reason JD missed his pro-am tee-time. S**t happens unfortunately, and for John, that pile fell on him big-time this week.

Do you still putt with an 8802 or do you just have it in your collection?

You're not really Ben Crenshaw, are you?

Redhook
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Do you still putt with an 8802 or do you just have it in your collection?

You're not really Ben Crenshaw, are you?

No, I'm not Crenshaw, but I do putt like him. :D

I've used the 8802 for 16 years now. It's in the bag and it scares my opponents. I cut it down to 33 inches, slapped some lead tape on the back and it's good to go. Unfortunately, it's not one of the originals worth over a grand, but it's still a great putter. I love it.

I do have an Wilson Arnold Palmer blade putter that's worth a few hundred though. Nice putter.

RFS62
03-14-2008, 09:16 AM

I've used the 8802 for 16 years now. It's in the bag and it scares my opponents. I cut it down to 33 inches, slapped some lead tape on the back and it's good to go. Unfortunately, it's not one of the originals worth over a grand, but it's still a great putter. I love it.

I do have an Wilson Arnold Palmer blade putter that's worth a few hundred though. Nice putter.

Arnie putted with an 8802 back in the day, too.

MaineRed
03-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Arnie was on the golf channel yesterday and he spoke of his putters with Faldo and Kelly Tilghman.

Speaking of Arnie, what a great guy he is. He just has such a great attitude and he comes off as someone you would enjoy spending the day with. Not everyone is like this. Jack Nicklaus is a good clean guy but he kind of gives off the feeling you don't want to ask him a stupid question. Arnie is the same no matter the subject.

Who are the living Arnold Palmer's of the other sports? Not the best living player but the guy who just never seems like he has a bad day who also happened to be pretty good in his day while also continuing to grow the sport?

Or is Arnie one of a kind?

FIRELEFT
03-14-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm From Arkansas. I have been around Daly a few times, in bars mainly, go figure.
He is a real nice guy but he is going to find out all of the people that are pulling for him are starting to get tired of his act.
Like i said I've been around him I do not know him personally. That being said I feel if he does not change somethings in his life style, playing Golf is going to be the least of his problems.

Chip R
03-14-2008, 02:37 PM
The problem with Daly is that the things that make him popular are things that cause problems for him.

FIRELEFT
03-14-2008, 02:44 PM
The problem with Daly is that the things that make him popular are things that cause problems for him.

True

SunDeck
03-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Arnie was on the golf channel yesterday and he spoke of his putters with Faldo and Kelly Tilghman.

Speaking of Arnie, what a great guy he is. He just has such a great attitude and he comes off as someone you would enjoy spending the day with. Not everyone is like this. Jack Nicklaus is a good clean guy but he kind of gives off the feeling you don't want to ask him a stupid question. Arnie is the same no matter the subject.

Who are the living Arnold Palmer's of the other sports? Not the best living player but the guy who just never seems like he has a bad day who also happened to be pretty good in his day while also continuing to grow the sport?

How about Pete Rose? He's exactly like Arnie, isn't he?
Seriously, no man who makes as much money as Arnie or Jack or Tiger do from golf have any right whatsoever to be anything other than deliriously happy all the time.

MaineRed
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Right but the thing I am talking about you are born with and Jack and Tiger weren't born with what Arnie has. Few are. Plenty of people are good at what they do and are nice people but Arnie is truly special.

Gary Player comes the closest but he can sound like your angry grampa at times. Player has a good, strong message though and I think his delivery is plenty effective for what he wants to get across.

Highlifeman21
03-14-2008, 05:43 PM

33 inches and lead tape.... Kirk Kurry would be proud....

Redhook
03-14-2008, 06:26 PM

I think Arnie is one of a kind which is why he's still so popular now and is making more money than everyone else outside of Tiger and maybe Norman.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Arnold and watching him play 9 holes. I caddied one winter at Bay Hill and he joined the back 9 of the group I was caddying in. What a nice surprise that was! I got to watch Arnie hit for 2 hours and I paid $100 to do it. Not a bad deal. What a genuinely nice person. He looks you in the eye better than anyone I've ever met and truely seems to care what you're saying.

I don't get the same vibe from Jack either. I actually don't have any interest in meeting him. He just comes across as somebody I don't want to talk to.

improbus
03-14-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't usually side with Colin Cowherd, but I do on Daly. He said that we the fans are his enablers. We continue to follow him, support him, and cheer for him. Because of that, sponsors and tournaments continue to invite him to play and his patterns of behavior are allowed to continue. He's never been allowed to hit "rock bottom." Callaway bailed him out of 2 million in gambling debts, and he went and did it again. The only way he will get help is for us to stop feeding into it.

It's a similar phenomenon to Mike Tyson. Tyson only gets better when he is out of the public spotlight. Maybe Big John can do the same.

Redhook
03-14-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't usually side with Colin Cowherd, but I do on Daly. He said that we the fans are his enablers. We continue to follow him, support him, and cheer for him. Because of that, sponsors and tournaments continue to invite him to play and his patterns of behavior are allowed to continue. He's never been allowed to hit "rock bottom." Callaway bailed him out of 2 million in gambling debts, and he went and did it again. The only way he will get help is for us to stop feeding into it.

It's a similar phenomenon to Mike Tyson. Tyson only gets better when he is out of the public spotlight. Maybe Big John can do the same.

Interesting take.

Daly and Tyson are nothing alike as human beings, but as athletes they are viewed similarily by the public. I have to admit, I always looked forward to seeing Tyson fight no matter what was going on with him. My curiousity won that battle. It's the same with Daly. He's like a folk legend. Big John. Long hitter. Beer drinking, chain-smoking mess. People love to look at a big mess and accidents waiting to happen. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I do hope JD turns it around, but I don't see him changing. Ever.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh, guess who won the tournament?

Highlifeman21
03-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh, guess who won the tournament?

Was 0 for every putt he'd attempted outside of 20 feet until that last one....

I think we're going to see a very special year from him this year.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Was 0 for every putt he'd attempted outside of 20 feet until that last one....

I think we're going to see a very special year from him this year.

Think he'll win the Grand Slam?

Redhook
03-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow, what an awesome finish!

Will he win the grand slam? Probably not, but I'd never bet against Tiger. He'll win the first two. I imagine he'll dominate the Masters along with the US Open at Torrey Pines. The weather across the pond could derail him again from shooting for the grand slam at the PGA. We'll see. I hope he wins the first 3 because I just can't imagine how awesome the PGA Championship would be if Tiger has a shot at the grand slam.

Highlifeman21
03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Think he'll win the Grand Slam?

No, I agree with Redhook.

Tiger cares about Augusta, and loves Torrey Pines, so while I don't want to say he's a lock for both, I certainly wouldn't give anyone else great odds. Tiger looked dominating at Torrey Pines earlier this year, so he obviously has to be the early favorite.

The British Open will be the hurdle, b/c it's at Royal Birkdale, and TBO hasn't been there since 1998. Last time it was there, a young Tiger Woods finished 1 stroke behind winner, Mark O'Meara. Had he not fired a 3rd round 77, Tiger would have easily won the Claret Jug that year. That being said, Tiger's only played RB once. Granted, he played it with 2 phenomenal rounds, 1 good round, and 1 crappy round. What Tiger has shown is he's matured at TBO by hitting less drivers each year. He's adapted his game to any condition, so while TBO will be a hurdle, it's only b/c he's played 4 competitive rounds at RB in his professional career.

Based on how he plays in TBO at RB, will dictate how he approaches the PGA. If he wins TBO, then you will see him then focus solely on the PGA, make no mistake about that. If he doesn't win TBO, then I think the PGA will be an after-thought to him, b/c he looks so focused and determined to win the slam this year that I have a feeling that if he doesn't, he will look at 2008 as a failure. Tiger wants to continue to re-write history, and he would be the 1st professional to ever win the modern day slam.

SunDeck
03-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I was pretty impressed that Singh was able to hang after being so sick. That guy is an iron man.

Chip R
03-18-2008, 12:36 PM
A golfer in 2nd to Woods after three rounds was once asked what he'd
have to shoot on Sunday to win, and he said, "Tiger". ;)

BuckeyeRedleg
03-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Jack is not that well liked around Dublin, Scioto (his first CC), or OSU for that matter.

I worked for ABC sports on the Santini crew for a few years at the Memorial Tournament (Muirfield). My experience with John Daly was that he was a very cool dude. I was surprised at his height as I expected him to be bigger. Not that imposing. He was very nice and smoked like a chimney, as we all know. He just, to me, represents the every man. So many of these guys have been coddled their whole life, growing up on country clubs, never having to get their hands dirty and I think Daly appeals to people, because he seems to be the opposite of that stereotype. He's like Happy Gilmore without the temper.

Other good guys from my experience (off the top of my head): Justin Leonard, Hubert Green, Jerry Kelly, Larry Mize, Fred Couples, Paul Stankowski, Ernie Els, Paul Azinger, and of course, Payne Stewart.

Speaking of Stewart. In 1999, on the last day of the tournament, I'm on the left side of 15 fairway and Payne hooks his drive down into the gully along the tree line. This is a side of the fairway that fans can't get to. Just ABC, the golfers, and their caddies. I walked around with him, his caddy, and a PGA official and helped him find his ball. Anyway, he wasn't having a great round. I think he was pretty much out of it at this point, even though he had started the day in contention. As frustrated as you'd think he'd be, he seemed very nice and so causal about the whole thing. He had a really bad lie in deep rough and had a tiny gap to punch his ball out. So he just casually walks up, drops his cigarette, stands over his ball for about 5 seconds, and punches out one of the most beautiful shots I had ever seen. I felt like the four of us (his caddy, Payne, the camera guy and me) are the only people on the entire golf course as we are so removed from everything down in this gully. It was surreal. I mention what an incredible shot it was and he just gives me a smile with such a casual "thanks", as he picks up his cigarette and climbs up out of the gully. I don't know what it was, but the dude just had "it". Pretty cool.

He died later that year.

I saw Bagger Vance the next year and I was reminded of that experience after watching Walter Hagen (Bruce McGill) hit the ball off the beach in that final scene.

Highlifeman21
03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Jack is not that well liked around Dublin, Scioto (his first CC), or OSU for that matter.

I worked for ABC sports on the Santini crew for a few years at the Memorial Tournament (Muirfield). My experience with John Daly was that he was a very cool dude. I was surprised at his height as I expected him to be bigger. Not that imposing. He was very nice and smoked like a chimney, as we all know. He just, to me, represents the every man. So many of these guys have been coddled their whole life, growing up on country clubs, never having to get their hands dirty and I think Daly appeals to people, because he seems to be the opposite of that stereotype. He's like Happy Gilmore without the temper.

Other good guys from my experience (off the top of my head): Justin Leonard, Hubert Green, Jerry Kelly, Larry Mize, Fred Couples, Paul Stankowski, Ernie Els, Paul Azinger, and of course, Payne Stewart.

Speaking of Stewart. In 1999, on the last day of the tournament, I'm on the left side of 15 fairway and Payne hooks his drive down into the gully along the tree line. This is a side of the fairway that fans can't get to. Just ABC, the golfers, and their caddies. I walked around with him, his caddy, and a PGA official and helped him find his ball. Anyway, he wasn't having a great round. I think he was pretty much out of it at this point, even though he had started the day in contention. As frustrated as you'd think he'd be, he seemed very nice and so causal about the whole thing. He had a really bad lie in deep rough and had a tiny gap to punch his ball out. So he just casually walks up, drops his cigarette, stands over his ball for about 5 seconds, and punches out one of the most beautiful shots I had ever seen. I felt like the four of us (his caddy, Payne, the camera guy and me) are the only people on the entire golf course as we are so removed from everything down in this gully. It was surreal. I mention what an incredible shot it was and he just gives me a smile with such a casual "thanks", as he picks up his cigarette and climbs up out of the gully. I don't know what it was, but the dude just had "it". Pretty cool.

He died later that year.

I saw Bagger Vance the next year and I was reminded of that experience after watching Walter Hagen (Bruce McGill) hit the ball off the beach in that final scene.

The day Payne Stewart tragically died, I cried as if I'd lost a family member. He truly was cut from a different mold. Thank you for sharing your story about him from The Memorial!

As for the list of guys you have, Kelly and Els are the only two I'd met for any significant time. I watched Jerry Kelly hit balls down in Port St. Lucie, and he saw me taking notes and thought I was a reporter so he chatted me up, but I quickly told him I wasn't a reporter, but rather a PGA Apprentice, so we got to talking about why I wanted to become a golf pro, and we even had a very interesting (if you're a passionate golfer) conversation about the 1 plane swing vs the 2 plane swing.

I actually played 9 holes with Ernie Els at Merion. I was playing with a member and his guest from the club at which I worked in Philly at time at Merion, and we made the turn and I hear this "Do you mind if I join you on the back 9?" Turns out the member knew Els from a business venture, and set up the "chance meeting" so that his guest could meet Els. I was in awe of Els' size. He has to easily be 6'6", and has a ridiculously firm handshake. Very easy guy to talk to, was very engaging, not dismissive at all.

Redhook
03-18-2008, 07:49 PM
I actually played 9 holes with Ernie Els at Merion. I was playing with a member and his guest from the club at which I worked in Philly at time at Merion, and we made the turn and I hear this "Do you mind if I join you on the back 9?" Turns out the member knew Els from a business venture, and set up the "chance meeting" so that his guest could meet Els. I was in awe of Els' size. He has to easily be 6'6", and has a ridiculously firm handshake. Very easy guy to talk to, was very engaging, not dismissive at all.

I'm jealous. Pretty cool story. Serious question for you. Which was better? Playing with Els or playing Merion? Fortunately, you got both at once, but I think I'd rather play Merion than play with Els. I'd love to play there.

Highlifeman21
03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm jealous. Pretty cool story. Serious question for you. Which was better? Playing with Els or playing Merion? Fortunately, you got both at once, but I think I'd rather play Merion than play with Els. I'd love to play there.

Thankfully my first boss in the biz was a former Asst. Pro at Pine Valley. When I passed my PAT, that was my treat. He took me there. I was amazed at the level of reciprocity tossed around when you're associated with the magical words "Pine Valley". I was able to play both courses at Merion numerous times in my 2+ years in Philly thanks to my boss. I wouldn't say he was a fixture in the Philly golf community, but he was the pro at the 1st course I worked for about 15 years, and was well known and well respected. I definitely took advantage of every opportunity he provided me/rewarded me.

I guess since I've probably played Merion almost 20 times between the 2 courses (11 east, 9 west), playing with Els was better for me. It also doesn't hurt that I'm a huge Els fan.

I'm still jealous of you, though. You've caddied on a pro tour. I've only caddied for amateurs in their various local tourneys.

I must say, I've played at countless courses I never would have the opportunity unless I was in the biz. Gotta continue to take advantage.

RFS62
03-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Pine Valley, eh. I now officially hate you.