PDA

View Full Version : Reds claim pitcher off waviers send 6 others to minor league camps

captainmorgan07
03-12-2008, 06:43 PM
The reds claimed 21 year old jose cappellan off waivers from the Giants. No not that Jose Cappellan that used to play for the brewers. They also outrighted Alexander Smit to Sarasota. They Optioned Richie Gardner and Tyler Pelland to Louisville. They sent Chris Croski to minor league camp along with Adam PettyJohn and Matt Maloney. They now have 57 guys on the roster.

BearcatShane
03-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Anyone know what he throws, and how hard?

sweetsport06
03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20071206&content_id=2319669&vkey=pr_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf

NASHVILLE -- The San Francisco Giants selected left-handed pitcher Jose Capellan from the Boston Red Sox in the Major League Phase of the Rule V Draft, club Senior Vice President and General Manager Brian Sabean announced this morning.
The 22-year-old hurler posted a 4-3 record with a 3.69 ERA (31er, 75.2ip) in 14 starts for Boston's single-A affiliate Lowell. The 6-3, 170-pound Dominican registered 71 strikeouts, while walking just 11 during the 2007 campaign, while limiting opponents to a .238 batting average. Originally signed as a non-drafted free agent, the southpaw owns a 13-8 lifetime ledger with a 2.74 ERA (63er, 207.0ip), .220 batting average against, 217 strikeouts and 49 walks in 50 games (29 starts) in four professional campaigns.

Capellan is the Giants' first selection in the Rule V Draft since they picked infielder Felix Escalona from Houston in 2001. Players selected in the Major League phase of today's draft are placed on the 40-man roster and must remain on the 25-man roster throughout the season or be offered back to the team from which they were selected. San Francisco's roster now has 39 players. The Giants also tabbed shortstop Juan Ciriaco from the San Diego organization in the Triple-A portion of the Rule V Draft.

San Francisco lost left-handed pitcher Travis Blackley, who was selected by Philadelphia in the big league portion, and right-handed pitcher Joe Bateman, who went to Milwaukee in the triple-A phase.

Seems that Jose Capellan, as a rule 5 draft, will have to follow the usual rules as a rule 5 pick, even after being traded to the reds. So if he's not on the 40-man roster on opening day hes either injured or gone. like nobody else new, just felt like i had to type something.

Capellan works with an arsenal of three pitches that he mixes in well. His fastball sits around 89-91 mph which moves away from righties and in on lefties. Doesn’t get enough swings-and-misses with his fastball, but he does have good command to paint corners. His mid-70s curveball has plus-potential with a nice bite, but Capellan still needs to perfect his command of the pitch. The curve is his best pitch, and he uses it to get out of jams very well. Variations of his curve can also get up to the mid 80s with slurve-type movement. His changeup sits around 78-79 mph and is average to above average. Capellan’s 3/4 delivery is fairly smooth and repeatable. As a lefty, he has a quick sidearm pickoff move to first base. Great clubhouse guy, mature and intimidating mound presence. Good focus. Needs to work on keeping his weight down.

DannyB
03-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Seems that Jose Capellan, as a rule 5 draft, will have to follow the usual rules as a rule 5 pick, even after being traded to the reds. So if he's not on the 40-man roster on opening day hes either injured or gone. like nobody else new, just felt like i had to type something

I think thats right but suppose the Reds offer him back to Boston for the $25k and they reject that?

sweetsport06
03-13-2008, 11:36 AM
good question. i know you can also trade a player back to boston to keep him and allow to stay on the reds without being on the 25 man roster. but i suppose if they reject it he'd be ours.

Brian
03-13-2008, 11:42 AM
It's hard to imagine Capellan makes this bullpen. There are going to be plenty of hard decisions already. I would however eat Stanton's contract to give him a shot. Heck, I'd eat his contract to give Rijo a shot...

GoReds33
03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
I think he can make the team. I don't think it'll be a lock or anything, but he has put up good numbers. What's to say he doesn't repeat what Burton did last year?

sweetsport06
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Capellan works with an arsenal of three pitches that he mixes in well. His fastball sits around 89-91 mph which moves away from righties and in on lefties. Doesn’t get enough swings-and-misses with his fastball, but he does have good command to paint corners. His mid-70s curveball has plus-potential with a nice bite, but Capellan still needs to perfect his command of the pitch. The curve is his best pitch, and he uses it to get out of jams very well. Variations of his curve can also get up to the mid 80s with slurve-type movement. His changeup sits around 78-79 mph and is average to above average. Capellan’s 3/4 delivery is fairly smooth and repeatable. As a lefty, he has a quick sidearm pickoff move to first base. Great clubhouse guy, mature and intimidating mound presence. Good focus. Needs to work on keeping his weight down.

not that it means much but if he werent to make it those are the two biggest reasons. well besides his lack of expeirence never completing a full minor league season that is. a medicore fastball that doesnt get swings and misses sorta of contradicts that he hits the corners well with it. either he can hit the corners well but nevertheless doesnt or he does hit the corners often with his fastball but it is just that terrible there able to hit it to often. and having a curveball as your best pitch at such a young age with so little expeirence is asking for catastrophe. when he does, because he will, suffer the first few months just as burton did due to pressure, using his curve and a simple mistake- hanging breaking pitch-park like great american= homeruns and lots of them. unless he has a real great changeup to depend on like mcbeth was somewhat able to, i dont see him getting to far. but who knows. just some wild assumption.

GoReds33
03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
not that it means much but if he werent to make it those are the two biggest reasons. well besides his lack of expeirence never completing a full minor league season that is. a medicore fastball that doesnt get swings and misses sorta of contradicts that he hits the corners well with it. either he can hit the corners well but nevertheless doesnt or he does hit the corners often with his fastball but it is just that terrible there able to hit it to often. and having a curveball as your best pitch at such a young age with so little expeirence is asking for catastrophe. when he does, because he will, suffer the first few months just as burton did due to pressure, using his curve and a simple mistake- hanging breaking pitch-park like great american= homeruns and lots of them. unless he has a real great changeup to depend on like mcbeth was somewhat able to, i dont see him getting to far. but who knows. just some wild assumption.The only reason he may not make it will be experience. He has pitches that could translate to the MLB level. He has a curve that by this account is already MLB ready. He also has performed very well to this point in the minors. I don't see any reason why this kid can't make it in the majors with another couple years of seasoning.

sweetsport06
03-14-2008, 05:29 PM
yeah and your assumptions are only as good as mine. if expierence was the only thing holding back players like him from being in the mlb im sure the giants wouldnt of allowed him to be picked up off waivers. as they themselves arent set to well rotation-wise. and for that matter bullpen wise either.

Rocket_Fuel
03-14-2008, 07:14 PM
There have been plenty of players who didn't do well on one team but did well on another team. Maybe the Giants coaching staff didn't know how to work with him properly and the Reds do. Maybe he didn't feel comfortable in San Francisco or needed a change of scenery, who knows.

Edd Roush
03-15-2008, 07:25 PM
No reason for the Reds not to take this risk on Capellan. Some one has to be more effective than our lefties have this spring. It's the law of averages lol.

BEETTLEBUG
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
When is Capellan going to pitch I thought he had been pitching already with Giants so he should be ready!!!