PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn: Expecting bigger things

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Adam Dunn: Expecting bigger things

Reds outfielder focused on fulfilling his potential

Everywhere you go in baseball you'll hear that word "potential," and it applies to me just like everyone else. I know I'm capable of a lot more than I've accomplished so far in my career. It's a source of frustration, because I know I can do so much more. Hopefully this will be the year that everything comes together.

I feel good right now. I felt good the second half of last year and I feel good in Spring Training so far, so we'll see what happens, but I know in my heart that I have a lot more to offer and that I need to go out and do it on the field.

My expectations for our club don't change. Every season that I've come to Sarasota, I've expected our club to go out and win our division. And I'm always disappointed when we don't achieve that goal. We weren't a bad club last season. We had the talent and the capability to win.

This is a new year now and my hopes are as high as ever -- with good reason. With the acquisitions we've made and a healthy group of core veterans, we're in position to move up dramatically.

Having a guy like Dusty Baker come in as our manager this season makes a big difference, too. It sends a signal through the clubhouse that we're playing to win. A manager plays a big role. He's been there and he has experience with winning teams as a player and as a manager. If you can't listen to him, to whom can you listen?

Dusty's track record speaks for itself. Personally, I'm excited. He's going to be a fun guy to play for and he'll get the best out of everyone. Players will go to war for a guy like Dusty.

I've known him for a little more than a month now, and what really sets him apart is that you know he genuinely cares for you. It's not just about your numbers and what you're doing for the club; he wants to know how things are at home. He asked me just this morning about my family. Heck, I've played for people who didn't even know I had a family.

These are the kind of things that make me optimistic about this season, for our club and me. I think I can improve by getting back to basics. For example, strikeouts have been an issue for the past four or five years, but I didn't have a problem with strikeouts in the Minors. It's been frustrating experience. I cut down on strikeouts last season, and there's still plenty of room to cut down some more.

Sometimes I get too selective. Statistics will show you that it's hard to hit from behind in the count at this level, so my plan is to be a little more aggressive early in the count.

If I can reduce my strikeouts and get my batting average out of the .260s and up to .300 where it's supposed to be, I can hit 50 home runs or more. But if I stay in the .260s, it's going to be near impossible to get there. My goal is simply to be a better overall hitter. Everything else will flow from that.

Adam Dunn, who has had 40 or more homers and 100 or more walks in each of the past four seasons, is a key to the Reds' success this season. In 2007, the 6-foot-6 Texan had a career-high 106 RBIs.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080312&content_id=2421397&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

MartyFan
03-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Who wrote this for Adam?

If you can't listen to him, to whom can you listen?

camisadelgolf
03-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Who wrote this for Adam?

I thought the same thing. This supposedly came from a Texan? Hmmm . . .

Cyclone792
03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Who wrote this for Adam?

It's likely an editor wrote that line, or molded some type of similar sentence into that line. Dunn may have written the original copy, but then you can bet an editor tore through it top to bottom.

For the most part, that's typical for published writing ... John Fay's blog being an exception (and it shows).

Jpup
03-13-2008, 05:01 AM
Adam is very sarcastic. ;)

rotnoid
03-13-2008, 09:11 AM
If I can reduce my strikeouts and get my batting average out of the .260s and up to .300 where it's supposed to be, I can hit 50 home runs or more. But if I stay in the .260s, it's going to be near impossible to get there. My goal is simply to be a better overall hitter. Everything else will flow from that.

I'll take it. ;) If he hits .300 and has 50 HR's, he'll be an MVP candidate. I, for one, would love to see it-just not in a contract year.

redsmetz
03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
A lot of times, guys employ publicists or ghost writers. Both books Lonnie Wheeler did with Hank Aaron and Bob Gibson were published "as told to Lonnie Wheeler," as I recall. I would guess that his agent employs such publicist, but I could be wrong. It would be money well spent, IMO.

Highlifeman21
03-13-2008, 11:28 AM
I'll take it. ;) If he hits .300 and has 50 HR's, he'll be an MVP candidate. I, for one, would love to see it-just not in a contract year.

If it means the Reds do the right thing, the smart thing and lock him up, then let's see it.

If we see the same Adam Dunn we've seen since 2001, then the Reds need to still do the right thing, the smart thing and lock him up.

Adam Dunn would have to strike out over 225 times this year, and OPS South of .800 for the Reds not to lock him up.

And neither of those things are going to happen.

mth123
03-23-2008, 08:32 AM
From Fay in the Enquirer

The Reds should sign Adam Dunn to a contract extension.

Half of you just said, "Exactly."

The other half just threw down the paper in disgust.

One caveat here: The Reds should do so only if they can get the deal done for a reasonable amount of money. I know "reasonable amount" is a relative term when talking about baseball contracts, but Dunn is a reasonable guy. My guess is he'd sign for below market value to stay with the Reds.

By the way, no talks are going on right now. But given chief executive officer Bob Castellini's fondness for Dunn, they are likely to start.

No player divides the Reds' fan base like Dunn.

Many of you would prefer that the Reds let him walk.

Those of you who like the "Moneyball" numbers game love Dunn. His OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage) annually is among the best in baseball.

He's 22nd in the category among active players. Only three players under age 30 are above him - No. 2 Albert Pujols, No. 14 Miguel Cabrera and No. 20 Mark Teixeira.

Those who value the more traditional numbers - batting average and strikeouts - dislike Dunn. His average isn't going to approach Pete Rose's and he has a long list of strikeout records.

I think OPS is much more important than batting average. I also think the most overlooked stat in baseball is games played.

Dunn is among the best in baseball in durability. He's been on the disabled list only once in his career, and he plays through things that sideline other guys.

But my argument for keeping Dunn goes beyond numbers.

He came to the Reds almost at the exact time I took over the beat in July 2001. He's a guy who always has been liked by everyone who covers the team on a daily basis, although not so much by some columnists.

Dunn's a stand-up guy. Good game or bad game, he's there to talk. He's funny, self-deprecating - probably to a fault - and unafraid to speak his mind.

He's a regular guy - if a regular guy can be 6 feet 6 and 275 pounds, hit the ball 500 feet and make $13 million a year.

As much as I like Dunn, I'm not sure I would have advocated signing him long-term three or four years ago.

But there's been a difference in him the last couple of years. He's more mature - having a wife and kid will do that. He's more serious about the game. He came in last year determined to be a better fielder and, though he didn't win a Gold Glove, he went from 13 errors to six.

But, most important, he's become a leader. He'll call out guys. The karaoke event he organized last week was one of the best things the Reds have done for new players in a long time.

It's hard to say what the chances are of the Reds reaching a deal with Dunn.

"I haven't heard anything," Dunn said.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky confirmed that no talks are going on.

"It's something we'll have to address at some point," he said.

Whether the deal ultimately gets done probably will come down to how the team plays.

If the Reds win early and Dunn performs as usual - 40 home runs, 100 RBI, 100 runs and 100 walks - Castellini will work out a deal.

I don't understand why no talks are going on. A theory: this is out of WK's hands now and it will be Dusty's call and its on hold while Dusty decides what to make of a base clogging guy who walks too much ;). Dusty has the long term deal and if he decides he likes Dunn, the Reds will probably pursue a deal. Maybe with Jocketty doing the bargaining. Maybe not, just throwing it out there, because there has to be a reason that no talks are going on. It seems ownership would like to sign the guy.

I'm a little baffled by the situation frankly.

RedLegSuperStar
03-23-2008, 09:16 AM
I think the Reds are going to take the wait and see aspect not only on Dunn, but on Junior as well. Jay Bruce is going to need a spot on this roster sometime this year.. if not this year then the start of 2009. Corey Patterson might be a player the Reds keep as well depending on his 2008 campaign.

jojo
03-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Truthfully, Dunn shouldn't set the bar so low. Why not aim for .350? :cool:

osuceltic
03-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I think the Reds are going to take the wait and see aspect not only on Dunn, but on Junior as well. Jay Bruce is going to need a spot on this roster sometime this year.. if not this year then the start of 2009. Corey Patterson might be a player the Reds keep as well depending on his 2008 campaign.

Junior is gone. If not sometime this summer in a trade, then certainly after the season. I don't think keeping him beyond this season is even a consideration.

I think the hesitation on Dunn is this: They'll talk themselves into it, even though they have reservations about him as a player, then six months into next season, they'll realize they still have those reservations. They'll regret the deal and end up taking less for him just to get out from under the contract.

Personally, I think they'll get more from Dunn as a rent-a-player than they would as a 31-year-old with a six-year, $90 million contract. Because they'll have more suitors. I realize not everyone agrees with that, but we can't agree about anything with Dunn.

redsrule2500
03-23-2008, 01:09 PM
good to hear, but I think we hear a similar version of this every year. What I realy liked hearing was his comments about how dusty is changing the tone of the team.

klw
03-23-2008, 01:33 PM
What no 77 steals this year?
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/03/20/ddn032007redsweb.html

Chip R
03-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I think OPS is much more important than batting average.

Who is this writer and what has he done with John Fay?

Raisor
03-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Who is this writer and what has he done with John Fay?

Pod person!!!!!

Run for the hills!

gm
03-23-2008, 04:32 PM
I thought the same thing. This supposedly came from a Texan? Hmmm . . .

Yippie yi Ohhhhh
Yippie yi yaaaaay
Ghost writers in the sky

flyer85
03-23-2008, 05:00 PM
if the Reds don't sign him then when they dtrade him they had better get his replacement because that player isn't in the system.

KronoRed
03-23-2008, 06:17 PM
if the Reds don't sign him then when they dtrade him they had better get his replacement because that player isn't in the system.

Votto to LF perhaps.

*BaseClogger*
03-23-2008, 08:34 PM

Depends on what they do with Jr. Griffey. I'm still not totally convinced that he will be gone...

KronoRed
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Depends on what they do with Jr. Griffey. I'm still not totally convinced that he will be gone...

It'll only be 4 million more then this year, if he has a nice year stays healthy and if Dunn leaves town it wouldn't be a stretch to see the Reds keep him around.

mth123
03-23-2008, 08:53 PM
It'll only be 4 million more then this year, if he has a nice year stays healthy and if Dunn leaves town it wouldn't be a stretch to see the Reds keep him around.

Especially when they have to give him that extra $4 Million as a buyout if they decide to get rid of him. The basic decision is simply pay him what they are paying him this year again in 2009.

I used to think that excercising the option was a fall back plan in case they couldn't sign Dunn. Now I think it may be the other way around. They only sign Dunn if it becomes apparent that Griffey has lost it and they just don't want to bring him back in 2009. I think waiting to see how Griffey does in 2008 is what they are waiting for in Dunn's case. Just my guess.

edabbs44
03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Votto to LF perhaps.

And a 3 year extension for Hatteberg? ;)

KronoRed
03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
And a 3 year extension for Hatteberg? ;)

He'd solid. :D

flyer85
03-23-2008, 09:30 PM
even if he isn't the chances of his PT and performance taking a dive are quite likley.

flyer85
03-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Jrs option is for $16M ... I can't see the Reds hoping to get another year with his injury history and decreasing performance.

*BaseClogger*
03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
He can sign for less... and they could move him to LF and Bruce to RF...

pahster
03-24-2008, 02:25 PM
He can sign for less... and they could move him to LF and Bruce to RF...

That could happen. But it shouldn't.

KronoRed
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
That could happen. But it shouldn't.

All depends on what JR does this season.

pahster
03-24-2008, 03:22 PM
All depends on what JR does this season.

150 games of .950 OPS wouldn't make it ok, at least not at the expense of Dunn. Bruce can't replace them both, which is what he'd have to do should they let Dunn go instead of Griffey. The latter can't stick around for that much longer.

*BaseClogger*
03-24-2008, 03:29 PM
150 games of .950 OPS wouldn't make it ok, at least not at the expense of Dunn. Bruce can't replace them both, which is what he'd have to do should they let Dunn go instead of Griffey. The latter can't stick around for that much longer.

Depends on what Dunn is asking for. Players with his skills decline quickly, and he will be 29 next season...

TRF
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
IF, IF Dunn were allowed to walk away this year, his replacement is likely Danny Dorn Or Rosales within the system. Dorn is a very interesting player offensively. He showed good power at Sarasota and was the third best hitting prospect behind Bruce and Rosales. Rosales could be the 1B of the future, IF, IF both Dunn and Jr. leave after this season.

OnBaseMachine
03-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Prospect grown up
Has Adam Dunn lived up to the hype? The numbers say yes; so why aren't some critics and fans so sure?
BY SHANNON RUSSELL | SRUSSELL@ENQUIRER.COM

Adam Dunn has a feeling good things are yet to come.

Prepared to improve at the plate in 2008, the veteran big-leaguer arrived at spring training relaxed and ready to flex his bat.

"The second half of last year I felt a lot better, and I feel a lot better this spring," Dunn said.

"So I don't know, maybe something clicked. It feels good. I'm trying to hit the ball more up the middle and in the gaps. (I hit) the ball down the third-base line. I've never done that my entire life."

In his first 46 spring training at-bats, Dunn hit .174 .

Last season he hit .264 and became the first batter in franchise history to hit 40 home runs in four consecutive seasons.

His best batting average as a Red was .266 in 2004. His worst was .215 in 2003.

Dunn's numbers have long inspired debate, from proponents (some believe he's the next Reds great) to opponents (some believe he has underachieved). His batting stats may have made him a superstar on another club; here, he's often knocked for his fielding and strikeouts with runners in scoring position.

He's also a man of extremes: Last season he had the team-best 40 home runs and a team-worst 165 strikeouts.

Manager Dusty Baker knows what Dunn can do, and he wants him - among other batters - to be more aggressive.

During a spring training media meeting several weeks ago, Baker said he hates the called third strike. He was originally talking about Joey Votto needing to be more aggressive, but was asked if the thought applied to Dunn.

"Like I said, I don't like called third strikes," Baker said. "Dunn's not a kid. He's not old, but he ain't a kid. I bet you he gets better. He's from Texas, right? There's not a cow in Texas if he doesn't get better."

Baker said Barry Bonds always told him that Dunn would be one of the best around.

"(When it) comes to hitting, Barry's got a pretty good idea," Baker said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/SPT04/303280121

WMR
03-29-2008, 01:23 AM
And Barry knows a thing or two about clogging up those bases with walks, doesn't he Dusty?