PDA

View Full Version : 8 2/3 ip, 4 h, 9 k, 1 BB, 0 runs

TOBTTReds
03-14-2008, 06:24 PM
That is the combined line for our bullpen today (not including Shearn, Thompson bc they are starters).

Our pen has some nasty stuff in it, and today was a good example. Starting to get pretty excited about the possibilities.

Edit: add Lincoln stats

TRF
03-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Lincoln's a starter?

Nothing Shearn throws is Nasty. What he needs is to learn the knuckleball, quick.

TOBTTReds
03-14-2008, 06:27 PM
The standouts were:

Vs. Yankees
Roenicke: 1 ip, 0 baserunners
Viola: 1 ip, 0 baserunners
Coffey: 1 ip, 2 k, 0 baserunners

Vs. Pirates
McBeth: 1 ip, 1 k, 0 baserunners
Salmon: 1 ip, 3 k, 0 baserunners

TOBTTReds
03-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Lincoln's a starter?

Nothing Shearn throws is Nasty. What he needs is to learn the knuckleball, quick.

Fixed, my bad.

reds44
03-14-2008, 06:41 PM
The question is, who starts in the bullpen? We've seen McBeth and Salmon before. Both have good arms. Salmon has a little bit of success, and McBeth was very unlucky.

Harang
Arroyo
Belisle/Fogg
Cueto
Volquez

Cordero
Weathers
Burton
Fogg/Belisle
Affeldt

Seem to be 9 guys who are going to make the team in one way or another leaving three spots for:

Bray
Coffey
Majewski
McBeth
Salmon
Coutlangus
Stanton
Capellean

Benihana
03-15-2008, 12:28 AM
The question is, who starts in the bullpen? We've seen McBeth and Salmon before. Both have good arms. Salmon has a little bit of success, and McBeth was very unlucky.

Harang
Arroyo
Belisle/Fogg
Cueto
Volquez

Cordero
Weathers
Burton
Fogg/Belisle
Affeldt

Seem to be 9 guys who are going to make the team in one way or another leaving three spots for:

Bray
Coffey
Majewski
McBeth
Salmon
Coutlangus
Stanton
Capellean

Isn't that 10 guys that you can pencil in? Which leaves 2 spots open for the field. My vote goes to Bray and either McBeth or Salmon. Assuming Volquez makes the rotation, Bray, Affeldt, and Fogg leave no room for another lefty in the pen, which eliminates Capellan and Coutlangous. And I can't bring myself to trust Coffey, Majewski or Stanton after watching the last couple seasons. The only way I can see Capellan making the team is if Fogg is in the rotation. Or if Bray starts the season on the DL, which just may happen.

M2
03-15-2008, 12:44 AM
I don't think Burton's a given. He's got options and I doubt Baker will think twice about sending him to AAA if there's other arms he likes better.

pedro
03-15-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't think Burton's a given. He's got options and I doubt Baker will think twice about sending him to AAA if there's other arms he likes better.

I expect Wayne to work the 40 man to its' fullest measures. That's his style.

icehole3
03-15-2008, 06:59 AM
with the bullpen, it wouldnt bother me at all if they went all veterans and anyone with an option would be sent to AAA except Burton who has proved he can get guys out in crunch time.

RedlegJake
03-15-2008, 08:31 AM
icehole's scenario is likely to be the one the Reds go with. Then they'll cherry pick the kids who are hot to come up when a veteran falters and gets cut. One note: I do expect Capellan to stick. A move for a rule 5 guy at this point is more likely to mean they're serious about keeping him, imo. Only if he is gets regularly trounced do I see him gone. He'll go north, imo.

Sea Ray
03-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Has Dusty said he's going with 12 pitchers? I'd prefer 11 myself.

I think we have to assume Stanton starts the season on the team. I'd be shocked if Dusty cut him before Opening Day. Where's Mercker in these possibilities? If Affeldt, Stanton and Bray make it, I doubt that leaves another spot for a lefty.

Endless possibilities. We need these last two weeks to sort all of this out.