PDA

View Full Version : Janish and Dickerson to AAA; Justin Lehr reassigned

reds44
03-14-2008, 07:09 PM
From the Reds:

Following today’s games, the Reds optioned to Class AAA Louisville IF Paul Janish and OF Chris Dickerson and reassigned to minor league camp non-roster RHP Justin Lehr.
-Fay

So much for the Janish bandwagon. It's down to Castro, Rosales, and Hairston for the backup SS spot. Bruce lives to play another day.

Far East
03-14-2008, 07:52 PM
The battle among OF and IF reserves is interesting, some of whom Dusty has looked at both in the infield and the outfield.

Those who have survived the first cuts include:

Hairston (.600)
Patterson (.529)
Anderson (.407)
Green (.393)
Cabrera (.333)
Rosales (.333)
Freel (.323)
Keppinger (.303) --starter at SS until Gonzales gets healthy?
Castro (.286)
Hopper (.267)
Phillips (.219)

Although ST numbers are nearly meaningless, it looks like Andy Phillips is being outplayed by nearly everyone else, including those more versatile, especially those at the "skill" positions.

Joseph
03-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I thought Janish would last longer.

KronoRed
03-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Still room available on the Juan Castro bandwagon :)

pedro
03-14-2008, 08:21 PM
As much as I'd like to have Janish on the team as opposed to say... Juan Castro, I'd also like him to get regular AB's as it seems the reds have been trying to alter his approach and he needs reps to work on it.

Matt700wlw
03-14-2008, 08:27 PM
HOW DARE THEM!!!

THAT'S IT!!! I'M DONE!!!

:p:

pedro
03-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Still room available on the Juan Castro bandwagon :)

Gonzalez can't get back fast enough.

Joseph
03-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Gonzalez can't get back fast enough.

Mid April is the target date.

Highlifeman21
03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I thought Janish would last longer.

(shaking head about this organization....)

so much for Wayne preaching defense......

Patterson fits the preaching defense mold, demoting Janish directly contradicts that mandate.

Cedric
03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
(shaking head about this organization....)

so much for Wayne preaching defense......

Patterson fits the preaching defense mold, demoting Janish directly contradicts that mandate.

Shaking head about demoting a guy that had a .590 ops in AAA ball? Unless Janish can field 3rd, SS, and 2b at the same time he's pointless with that ops.

I was ok with Janish until I saw his numbers. He isn't going to cut it at the plate right now.

Highlifeman21
03-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Shaking head about demoting a guy that had a .590 ops in AAA ball? Unless Janish can field 3rd, SS, and 2b at the same time he's pointless with that ops.

I was ok with Janish until I saw his numbers. He isn't going to cut it at the plate right now.

We know the guy has little to no stick.

But, we also know that he's the best defensive SS we have in the entire organization.

So, do we continue to trot out guys in the field that are inconsistent with the stick, and suspect at best with the glove, or do we start to trot out guys that are legitimate with the leather and can hopefully find themselves at the plate?

Eventually we're going to have to address preventing the other team from scoring runs, rather than trying to muster enough offense to attempt to consistently outscore our opponent(s).

M2
03-14-2008, 11:18 PM
The guy who's becoming fascinating is Rosales.

RFS62
03-14-2008, 11:21 PM

No kidding. This has been a very interesting spring so far.

OnBaseMachine
03-14-2008, 11:28 PM

Yep. His bat looks very good. His defense is still a question mark, though. I'd like to know the story on his defense - Is he good enough to stay at SS or will he have to move to a corner infield spot?

Patrick Bateman
03-14-2008, 11:36 PM

He can clearly hit enough to play a middle infield position, but how well can he actually field? Based on his usage in the minors, I was led to believe that his future was at 1st base, but now I'm unsure based on the recent comments.

If he can field well enough to at least cover SS, then the Reds can dump Castro, and go with Rosales-Kepp until Gonzalez gets back (well they should dump Castro either way). The ability to play SS even a little makes him a very intriguing utility guy.

Highlife, regarding Janish, I agree getting good defense is important, but when your that bad a hitter, then even poor defensive guys with decent bats are going to be infinitely more valuable. Even with a good glove you gotta hit to some level. He's not even close to being a decent AAA hitter yet. All glove and sub replacement level stick is certainly not the answer to any problems. I agree, the fielding needs to be addressed, but you can only sacrifice offense to a degree.

OnBaseMachine
03-14-2008, 11:39 PM
AK, IIRC Rosales was shifted off SS because of an elbow injury.

M2
03-14-2008, 11:39 PM
He can clearly hit enough to play a middle infield position, but how well can he actually field? Based on his usage in the minors, I was led to believe that his future was at 1st base, but now I'm unsure based on the recent comments.

It seems as if the major league staff has seen something it likes from him in the field. I doubt anyone expects him to be a GG, but I wonder if there's some thinking he can be a Michael Young/Rich Aurilia type fielder.

Patrick Bateman
03-14-2008, 11:55 PM
It seems as if the major league staff has seen something it likes from him in the field. I doubt anyone expects him to be a GG, but I wonder if there's some thinking he can be a Michael Young/Rich Aurilia type fielder.

Ya that's what I was thinking. Baker gave Rosales a pretty nice endorsement. If he can field to that degree, then his hitting will make him a really nice utility/fill in type. And saves the Reds from having to carry a token back-up SS like Castro or Janish.

fearofpopvol1
03-15-2008, 12:12 AM

But, we also know that he's the best defensive SS we have in the entire organization.

So, do we continue to trot out guys in the field that are inconsistent with the stick, and suspect at best with the glove, or do we start to trot out guys that are legitimate with the leather and can hopefully find themselves at the plate?

Eventually we're going to have to address preventing the other team from scoring runs, rather than trying to muster enough offense to attempt to consistently outscore our opponent(s).

Only to a point. Seriously, if Janish were to make the team, it is very possible that he wouldn't hit higher than .150 and that's just not going to cut it. At some point, you have to balance defensive productivity with some level of offense. I'd love to have his glove at SS, but not at his current level of production. He has to imrpove at the plate.

Team Clark
03-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Sending these guys down just gets them more work in Minor League camp. You can FULLY expect to see Janish get some playing time at SS again. Dickerson isn't forgotten either.

Topcat
03-15-2008, 06:01 AM
Till Janish can equate to atl east a .245 hitter with a decent ops the guy needs to play in minors. kid has spectacular skills but with the Reds catching situation in a guess mark stage batting wise you can not put this team into a 6 batters and dead on plate mode.

mth123
03-15-2008, 06:47 AM
We've seen the likes of Janish before. Even spent some time with the Reds in 1992. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Gary-Green.shtml

If Janish made enough of an impression with the glove to entice some offers, the Reds should work something out and cash in. Rosales is the guy to get excited about.

dfs
03-15-2008, 10:35 AM
We've seen the likes of Janish before. Even spent some time with the Reds in 1992. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Gary-Green.shtml

Damn. I'm impressed. That's some serious prospect necromancy going on there.

I'm pretty sure you meant to include "with the exception of Alex Gonzalez." when you wrote that.

Highlifeman21
03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty sure you meant to include "with the exception of Alex Gonzalez." when you wrote that.

Alex Gonzalez needs to find his former self and actually play above average D. We've seen average D, at best from him, so far as a Red.

westofyou
03-15-2008, 11:07 AM

If Janish made enough of an impression with the glove to entice some offers, the Reds should work something out and cash in. Rosales is the guy to get excited about.

Didn't Green start over Larkin on a Team USA squad? I believe he did.

Reds1
03-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Janish wasn't as loved as some had him. He was gone quickly. Lots of talent for these spots.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-15-2008, 03:56 PM
How about a platoon at 1B with Rosales/Keppinger (RH) with Votto (LH)?

Keppinger (util), Rosales (util), Patterson (cf), Hopper (4th OF).

Hopefully Freel and Hatteberg are dealt soon. They are no longer needed and clogging up the bench.

Steve4192
03-15-2008, 05:10 PM

From what I have read, many scouts feel Cozart is better.

*BaseClogger*
03-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Hopefully Freel and Hatteberg are dealt soon. They are no longer needed and clogging up the bench.

I wonder how Dusty feels about 'bench cloggers'? :p:

*BaseClogger*
03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Alex Gonzalez needs to find his former self and actually play above average D. We've seen average D, at best from him, so far as a Red.

I agree. In fact, I dont think Gonzalez has ever played anything better than slightly above average defense...

cincrazy
03-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Juan Castro is a better hitter than Paul Janish. Perhaps a MUCH better hitter. And that says all you need to know about Mr. Janish right now.

Will M
03-15-2008, 07:30 PM
How about a platoon at 1B with Rosales/Keppinger (RH) with Votto (LH)?

Keppinger (util), Rosales (util), Patterson (cf), Hopper (4th OF).

1. I like it

2. Then add a real catcher. Use Javy as lefty PH & Ross as backup catcher.

KronoRed
03-16-2008, 01:53 AM
I wonder how Dusty feels about 'bench cloggers'? :p:

As long as they stay off the bases I'm sure he's ok with it.