PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton watch

UPRedsFan
03-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Through today Josh is OPSing 1.740

I hope he stays healthy all year so we can see what he's truly capable of.

JBChance
03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Excerpt from:

Hamilton sizzles in Rangers' win
Outfielder reaches base for 10th consecutive plate appearance
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

Josh Hamilton went 2-for-2 and has reached base in 10 consecutive plate appearances, spanning nine hits and one walk. He's batting .607 (17-for-28).

He's absolutely ripping the cover off the ball this spring. Pretty impressive.

I still think, though, that the trade may be a win-win if Volquez continues to show promise.

I'll root for both.

jmac
03-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Excerpt from:

Hamilton sizzles in Rangers' win
Outfielder reaches base for 10th consecutive plate appearance
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

He's absolutely ripping the cover off the ball this spring. Pretty impressive.

I still think, though, that the trade may be a win-win if Volquez continues to show promise.

I'll root for both.
Great outlook.
This could very well be a win-win situation for both teams.

durl
03-14-2008, 11:00 PM

I'll root for both.

+1

mlbfan30
03-14-2008, 11:18 PM
At least our new CF is one of the best defenders in baseball.....

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080314/capt.d544459d9f6446cab61ad0686a85f97f.phillies_red s_spring_baseball_flgp101.jpg

redlegs7089
03-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Through today Josh is OPSing 1.740

I hope he stays healthy all year so we can see what he's truly capable of.

i hope not or ill be one really unhappy person

JBChance
03-14-2008, 11:34 PM
At least our new CF is one of the best defenders in baseball.....

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...ll_flgp101.jpg

:laugh:

Man, He sure can jump

REDblooded
03-15-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm just happy that the rangers are my second favorite team in baseball..... My grandpa used to take me to the games in Arlington when we'd visit him....

This willl prob be a win-win, but it will favor the Rangers. Hamilton is a stud.

smoke6
03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm glad he's doing well, BUT he's not coming back. No point in agonizing on what might have been.

Oxblood
03-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Hope this continues through the regular season, he's gotta stay healthy.

HokieRed
03-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Prediction: the deal that will bring Krivsky down.

SultanOfSwing
03-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I really doubt that.

REDblooded
03-15-2008, 01:49 PM

Yeah, not feeling this one........

What's funny to me, is that at the time we were shopping Hamilton, nobody had a problem with it because it opened up space for Bruce.

Va Red Fan
03-15-2008, 03:57 PM
WK does not have to fear this deal. Volquez is a quality arm and we were in need. You give quality to get quality.

Casey
03-15-2008, 04:26 PM
The guy is tearing it up this spring and it's great to see him doing so well. I agree that it will work out for the Reds in the end though. You have to give up something to get something...no one is going to give up quality pitching without gettting anything in return. I think this will wind up being a great deal for both teams.

Rocket_Fuel
03-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm just happy that the rangers are my second favorite team in baseball..... My grandpa used to take me to the games in Arlington when we'd visit him....

This willl prob be a win-win, but it will favor the Rangers. Hamilton is a stud.

Good pitching always beats out good hitting. If Volquez continues to improve there is no way this trade favors the Rangers. Take a look at what good hitting has done for the Rangers the last 5 years.

Rocket_Fuel
03-15-2008, 05:12 PM

:rolleyes:

Red in Atl
03-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Please, why would one deal bring anyone down? Besides, this trade looks to be good for both sides right now. And I would feel better with a prediction that Josh's injury history will make him overall less desireable to a team than a young pitcher with a great arm.

But the big issue with Josh is having a grown man needing a 24/7 baby sitter. I mean him no harm, and I hope that he overcomes his demons. All I'm saying is that his "issues" get in the way of the "team". And we can debate all day long whether it should be overlooked, or no big deal, but the fact is this - The Reds Organization decided after a year of dealing with this issue that it was bad for the team. Seems to me, that's the only thing that matters. And the fact that they got a starting pitcher is a huge bonus.

Time will tell, as it always does, but this one won't be ready for judgement for quite a few years.

laxtonto
03-17-2008, 01:14 PM
The suprising thing about Hamiltonis now that hes in Texas is that the Texas locker room embraces him and his demons. Hes hinted at in many different quotes that most of the vetrans in Cin didnt and in fact thought less of him for it.

I dont know if its because the relative youth of the players in Texas or hard headedness in Cin, but Hamilton is fitting in well in Texas.

On the EV vs. JH deal...

Ive seen EV pitch in AA and in AAA and on T.V. for the Rangers, and all i have to say is that hes a feast or fammin guy. I hope he continues to do well, but ive seen him melt down on to many occassion to dance and cheer that i know hes turned that corner. I hope that the move to the NL helps him, and that the shock of him getting traded motivates him to finally reach his potential. Ill just say im cautiously optomistic about EV until hes pitched in MLB parks to MLB lineups for a month or 2. I still personally belive he will end up as a setup man and then eventually a closer.

HokieRed
03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
If Dunn goes, in a year the outfield is Bruce and who else? A 40 something Griffey Jr.? Corey P? I predict that by the middle of this season, when it's clear again that this team is no contender, there will be discussion about whether Krivsky didn't overpay for Volquez--even though he's going to be a help--especially if Dunn cannot be signed. You have to confront the possibility with Hamilton that you had five extremely cheap years ahead of an enormously talented player. Here's a question: would you rather have Hamilton right now or Dunn? or Griffey?

Red in Atl
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
If Dunn goes, in a year the outfield is Bruce and who else? A 40 something Griffey Jr.? Corey P? I predict that by the middle of this season, when it's clear again that this team is no contender, there will be discussion about whether Krivsky didn't overpay for Volquez--even though he's going to be a help--especially if Dunn cannot be signed. You have to confront the possibility with Hamilton that you had five extremely cheap years ahead of an enormously talented player. Here's a question: would you rather have Hamilton right now or Dunn? or Griffey?

You can ask that question, but it's not really fair. Dunn or Griffey could not be moved for Volquez. And Krivsky couldn't improve the rotation without selling off his kids (Votto, Bruce, Bailey and Cueto) who are all under contract for almost 5 years.

I think he did what he had to do in order to get the fans off his back, clean up the clubhouse problem he had, and still get a pitcher that could improve the club. Yes it cost Hamilton. Sadly.

But it improves the team in the long run.

BLEEDS
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM

I'd rather have Volquez/Dunn/Griffey then Hamilton/Dunn/Griffey/Milton(or any other of the #5 pitchers we used last year).

I agree that if we don't extend Dunn, our OF offense will be in dire straits, but that was regardless of Hamilton. We needed to extend Dunn period.

I still don't buy into the long-term prospects of Hamilton. It's not like he's 21. He's almost 27, with a 40 year old Body due to the damage he's done to it with drugs over the years.

I'll take the "risk" associated with Volquez over that. His upside is a #2 SP by all accounts, and we need pitching WAY more than we need OF-ers. The Reds always seem to develop/find plenty of OF-ers. Josh wasn't home-grown, he was a penny stock that we invested in and cashed out before the market for him crashed.

PEACE

-BLEEDS