PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Krivsky Approval Rating

Jpup
03-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Wayne Krivsky is in the final year of his contract and the Reds have to decide whether or not to give him an extension. Do you approve of Wayne Krivsky's job as General Manager of the Cincinnati Reds?

Spring~Fields
03-15-2008, 02:20 AM
I have to wait and see how he and the staff handle the pitching staff and how that works out and see what he does about the offense, will it be Hopper, Freel, Gonzalez, Castro and their present catchers to the rescue or will he upgrade. Plus he has question marks to solve with Griffey and Dunn's contracts.

fearofpopvol1
03-15-2008, 02:46 AM
I wish an option was present that said, "I'll have a better idea by the end of this season." I realize that "not sure" is the closest thing, but still.

GAC
03-15-2008, 03:38 AM
Voted yes.

He's entering his 3rd season as our GM, and I've gotten a better "feel" of the plan/direction he wants to take this team. In my mind that was firmed up when he refused to trade any of our prospects during the off-season when he has opportunities to do so. He held his hand.

In the performance of his job he has made some good moves, bad moves, and some "we'll have to wait and see" moves.

I simply am more optimistic going into this season then prior. And it's what he has attempted to do (address) in the area of pitching.

And I hope he is given a vote of confidence and extended IMO.

My eyes are going to be more on what Dusty does with what he has been given. ;)

Ron Madden
03-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Voted yes.

In the performance of his job he has made some good moves, bad, moves, and some "we'll have to wait and see" moves.

I simply am more optimistic going into this season then prior. And it's what he has attempted to do (address) in the area of pitching.
;)

C"mon GAC, You say that every year. :D

Ron Madden
03-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Wayne has devoted a whole bunch of energy, time and money in order to improve the bullpen. The bullpen still sucks.

krivski is far too often given credit for the Reds talented farm system while the organization has yet to draft anything close to the talent drafted under Dan O'Briens or Jim Bowdens watch.

This is just my honest and humble opinion, I'll duck and take cover now.

icehole3
03-15-2008, 05:56 AM
thats crazy talk right there, saying "he has yet to draft anything close" is just taking a cheap shot and not accurate, his drafts are on par IMO.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Props/thumb-down.gif

Ron Madden
03-15-2008, 07:07 AM
thats crazy talk right there, saying "he has yet to draft anything close" is just taking a cheap shot and not accurate, his drafts are on par IMO.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Props/thumb-down.gif

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My opinion just happens to disagree with yours.

Crazy talk or not. I quess time will tell.

:)

RedlegJake
03-15-2008, 07:08 AM
K has had some good, some bad moves. The only major bad move to me was the trade and I don't pan it as much as some do but the pitching is getting younger and better and moving toward hard throwers, the minor leagues look much improved depth wise, and I for one am glad he didn't pull the trigger on a mega deal this winter involving 2 or 3 or more of the top kids. He hasn't been a bad GM, and he isn't a top tier GM - yet - but he seems to be growing in his job. And - if he's willing and able to listen and to learn from Jocketty while keeping his own strengths then he should grow even better. I vote yes.

icehole3
03-15-2008, 07:43 AM
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My opinion just happens to disagree with yours.

Crazy talk or not. I quess time will tell.

:)

I respect your opinion, if you just look at everyone's top 10 list and I mean everyone's, youll see that allthough he doesnt have the top 4 guys the rest are his picks so to just blatantly say he hasnt come close is a senseless comment.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/doh.gif

GAC
03-15-2008, 08:30 AM
C"mon GAC, You say that every year. :D

You won't find where I ever said that about ol' leatherpants. :p:

OnBaseMachine
03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Yep. I've gone from a Wayne Krivsky critic to a Krivsky fan in about a 15-month span. There have been a few of his moves that I didn't approve of but I still think his positives have far outweighed the negatives.

I made this post in another thread yesterday but I'll copy-and-paste it in here because it's more appropriate for this thread:

At one time I was a big critic of Wayne Krivsky but that has really changed over the past year or so. I'm very pleased with the direction he has this organization headed in - I've never seen this much young talent in this organization since I've been a fan. Look at all the talent he has acquired for basically nothing: Phillips, Burton, Hamilton, Coutlangus, and Keppinger. He then flipped Josh Hamilton for a guy who looks like he could go all Jose Rijo on the NL this year. That trade is going to end up being the deal we look back on and say it's what put the Reds back on the map. Yeah, I like Volquez that much.

The most important thing in the Krivsky era has been the health and develoent of the Reds top prospects. Look at the past regimes...all the top prospects seemed to come down with career ending injuries and the few that stayed healthy could never take that step forward. Since Krivsky was hired our top prospects have maintained their health (knock on wood) and have progressed throughout the upper levels.

Aside from the Kearns/Lopez trade (and that trade still has a chance to improve from a Reds standpoint, if Bray stays healthy and lives up to his potential, not to mention Daryl Thompson has looked strong so far this spring), and letting Juan Castro hang around, I think Krivsky has did a very solid job. I don't think anyone can argue that the man can negotiate contracts - the Arroyo/Harang/Phillips extensions are steals for the Reds compared to what other players at their positions are getting.

One other thing that I love about Krivsky is his understanding of the importance of the Dominican Republic and International signings in general. The signing of Juan Duran shows the Reds are serious about being big players in the DR...and it's not just the Dominican Republic, in the last year the Reds have signed players from the Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Panama, Taiwan, Australia, Venezuela, Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands, plus a few drafts picks from Canada. That's impressive.

Highlifeman21
03-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I look at Krivsky's tenure from an accounting perspective. For every asset he's obtained, he's also subsequently obtained a liability. Maybe the asset vs liability isn't always in a timely fashion, but it seems that for every positive, "righting the ship" move, he makes one that leaves us scratching our heads.

Asset(s) Liabilities
Arroyo The Trade
Phillips drafting Stubbs
Hamilton drafting Mesoraco
Volquez Stanton still on the roster
Harang's extension Castro still on the roster
the return for Conine not extending Dunn (yet)
the return for Lohse handling Bailey incorrectly
Hatteberg not obtaining Haren or Bedard
Keppinger

My biggest "concern" with Krivsky has been his ability to completely waste or punt 1st round draft picks. An organization can't afford to miss as badly as the Reds have in the 1st round in consecutive years with Stubbs and Mesoraco. My second biggest "concern" would be his handling of the youngsters. He's rushed Bailey (but perhaps he was forced to by Bob, last year), and he's held onto the kids when it seems that he could have moved some of them for the TOR pitching the Reds desperately need. If the Reds have such a deep, stocked farm, as advertised by some of the industry publications, then I'm left scratching my head how and why Krivsky hasn't used our questionable strength to address our glaring weaknesses.

I just wish Krivsky would pick a direction with the Reds and damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. If we're really in a "win now" mode, it clearly isn't reflected on the 25 man roster. Bottomline, to win now, we need better players than we have in our organization, and hoping that the kids are the answer isn't the way to "win now".

lollipopcurve
03-15-2008, 08:46 AM
It's hard to know to know much without being on the inside. But from the point of view of building tha talent base, he's been very good, and I have to think that's job #1.

OnBaseMachine
03-15-2008, 08:55 AM
So we've already detereminded Devin Mesoraco to be a bust or wasted pick after only 156 professional plate appearances? Wow.

And you mention his failure to trade the youngsters for Bedard or Haren as a liability. I consider it a positive that he didn't deal Jay Bruce and others or a package of Johnny Cueto, Joey Votto, and Homer Bailey for Bedard/Haren.

Highlifeman21
03-15-2008, 09:05 AM
So we've already detereminded Devin Mesoraco to be a bust or wasted pick after only 156 professional plate appearances? Wow.

And you mention his failure to trade the youngsters for Bedard or Haren as a liability. I consider it a positive that he didn't deal Jay Bruce and others or a package of Johnny Cueto, Joey Votto, and Homer Bailey for Bedard/Haren.

Mesoraco was a futile attempt to draft for need. I'm not saying he is a bust or will be a bust, just that he wasn't the best talent available when we were on the clock. We repeated the same mistake that we committed when we drafted Stubbs.

We need him to be ready a lot sooner than he actually will, much like Stubbs.

I hope Mesoraco develops, and I root for him b/c he's a Red, but I can't even remotely begin to understand the logic behind drafting Mesoraco.

I prefer Haren over Bedard, but either of them would have drastically improved our rotation, and our team. Bruce and Cueto are the only 2 of the Big 4 I wouldn't have traded for either Haren or Bedard, but if our farm is as stocked as advertised, we should have definitely been able to land one of Haren or Bedard with a package of Bailey, Votto and then selecting from that plethora of the rest of our kids ranked below those 2.

OnBaseMachine
03-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Eh, I didn't mind the Mesoraco draft pick. It's not like they overdrafted him or anything (rumors were the Pirates considered him at No. 4, now that would have been an overdraft). If that's who the Reds liked the most then I have no problem with it. He's got great talent but like most HS catchers it's going to be a while before he can help the Reds. I guess that's why some were upset at the pick, and I can understand that, but I really didn't it. Rick Porcello is really the only better talent to be selected in the first round behind Mesoraco IMO. Jason Heyward was my No. 1 choice but the Braves unfortunately grabbed him one pick ahead of the Reds.

mth123
03-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Voted don't know. A GM's job is obviously to acquire talent, but it's for the purpose of putting the team together. While Krivsky has added some talent, I'm not sure if that makes him a good GM or just a really observant scout.

Opening day may tell me a lot. This team could have a roster containing Juan Castro, Gary Majewski, Mike Stanton, superfluous LH Hitting 1B, totally replaceable Norris Hopper and maybe a retread or two like Jerry Hairston JR, Jolbert Cabrera or Jim Brower to go along wirth the worst catching tandem in baseball outside of Miami. I realize that not every player is going to be a star and a couple guys like this at the end of the bench or for mop up innings are necessary for cost containment and resource management, but we could be looking at 20% to 30% of the roster being comprised of total chaff while players with redundant skills are going to waste. I'm a believer in the youngsters and Bruce in CF, Votto at 1B and a young power arm or two in the rotation have me quite optimistic, but if this pen has Stanton, Majewski and a wishcast or two (Mercker, Brower, etc) the team is doomed to another year of 85 losses. Hatte on the bench provides little in the way of utility and the mess in the OF potentially was worsened with the additions of Patterson (who I like in the right role and at least has some strengths that the other players out there lack), Hairston, Cabrera and Rios to the mix. The way those bench and pen spots sort themsleves out will give us a better indication of WK's GM skill IMO. Putting the team together is important. If guys like this are to be brought in, then guys like Hatte and Freel need to be converted to some real help for the bullpen. I suspect that this team may have a 3rd consecutive abomination in the pen and it just is not necessary.

I love that WK added Phillips, obtained Arroyo, nabbed Hamilton and flipped him for Volquez. Hatte was a good stopgap move and I've been proven wrong on WK's re-upping of David Weathers. I like the admittedly pricey Cordero signing.

But... the lack of movement with Adam Dunn and the steady stream of Rheal Cormier, Mike Stanton, Kirk Saarloos, Juan Castro and Jeff Conine brought into this organization as solutions has my head hurting. Add that the insane decision to annoint the rotation ready in the winter of 2006 by re-upping Kyle Lohse while already being committed to Eric Milton is among the worst GM moves I have seen. The team needed an obvious upgrade and signing Lohse and declaring the rotation filled still gives me nightmares. No way that this team should have gone into last spring with both Lohse and Milton as rotation mainstays. And of course the deal to acquire a batting practice pitcher with ski at the end of his name and a probable career LOOGY is horrific.

boognish
03-15-2008, 11:11 AM
I just wish Krivsky would pick a direction with the Reds and damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. If we're really in a "win now" mode, it clearly isn't reflected on the 25 man roster. Bottomline, to win now, we need better players than we have in our organization, and hoping that the kids are the answer isn't the way to "win now".

I voted "don't know," but in essence this post (latter part only quoted) sums it up nicely. The overall talent base is vastly improved from the days of Dave Williams, Jimmy Anderson, Tony Womack, et al, but it remains to be seen how the overall talent will be shaped into a winning 25-man.

There are key decisions coming up this season and off-season, some of which are steeped in philosophical direction (what to do with Dunn, will any of the kids be traded for veterans) and some of which are deveopmental (how many of the talented prospects step forward to become MLB contributors). Many are disconcerted that the direction has not become apparent already, but at the risk of continually saying "wait and see," I will state that I believe it important for Wayne to have two full offseasons before cutting bait. As OBM said, the initiatives in the international markets are encouraging--and we can pretty much all agree that we would like to see more--and the overall talent has increased, but at the same time there is a lot left about which to scratch one's head: why are Stanton and Castro still here? If the Reds are going to mess around with those two in big league unis, why devote so many financial resources ($, high draft pick) to signing Cordero? If Votto, Bailey, and Bruce aren't going north with the big club, why not aggressively pursue Haren?

One piece of the big picture evaluation for me as far as WK's overall grade as GM will be the turnover from "increased talent" to improved 25-man throughout this season, and another will be what happens with Dunn and Griffey after this season. Unfortunately, if he fails the latter, he will have already been extended, leaving us holding a proverbial bag. I suppose that is the danger inherent in a "waiting to evaluate" approach.

**Edit: I see mth123 pretty much beat me to it.

RedsManRick
03-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I voted not sure. This season is really an inflection point for me.

Falls City Beer
03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Oddly, where most folks have trended from "mostly faithful" to "a decent amount of agnosticism" concerning Wayne, I've moved from "he's the pits" to "a decent amount of agnosticism." I'm with RMR; how he plays his considerable hand this season is key.

fearofpopvol1
03-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Mesoraco was a futile attempt to draft for need. I'm not saying he is a bust or will be a bust, just that he wasn't the best talent available when we were on the clock. We repeated the same mistake that we committed when we drafted Stubbs.

We need him to be ready a lot sooner than he actually will, much like Stubbs.

I hope Mesoraco develops, and I root for him b/c he's a Red, but I can't even remotely begin to understand the logic behind drafting Mesoraco.

I prefer Haren over Bedard, but either of them would have drastically improved our rotation, and our team. Bruce and Cueto are the only 2 of the Big 4 I wouldn't have traded for either Haren or Bedard, but if our farm is as stocked as advertised, we should have definitely been able to land one of Haren or Bedard with a package of Bailey, Votto and then selecting from that plethora of the rest of our kids ranked below those 2.

FWIW, it was reported that Cueto was the sticking point in the discussions for Haren.

Highlifeman21
03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
FWIW, it was reported that Cueto was the sticking point in the discussions for Haren.

I remember that Beane has a fondness for Cueto, and doesn't think much of Bailey. Depending on what else it would have taken besides Cueto would have made up my mind on a Cueto for Haren.

Cueto was the sticking point for Haren supposedly, and Bruce was the sticking point for Bedard supposedly. I put the blame on Wayne for not finding a counter offer either team would have accepted. We have plenty of kids that are ranked as B and C prospects, and I refuse to believe that a bevy of them plus Bailey and or Votto wouldn't have landed Haren or Bedard.

I mean just look at the offers accepted for Haren and Bedard. We could have trumped both of those easily without giving up Cueto or Bruce.

fearofpopvol1
03-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I agree to a point, but in all fairness, we don't really know what was offered and what the sticking points were. It's entirely possible that more than fair counter offers were made and wern't accepted.

redsrule2500
03-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Aren't these supposed to know yes/no? lol

I said Yes.

Will M
03-15-2008, 02:17 PM
I generally agree. I think that certain aspects of a GM's job are really learned on the job. Like managing the 25 man roster, pulling the trigger on trades, negotiating contracts,etc. GM is a big leap from assistant GM. I think this is one reason Castellini brought in Jocketty. Jocketty has these types of skills/experience and can help mentor Wayne. The team of Krivsky/Jocketty is much better than either one. They have very complimentary skills.

boognish
03-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I generally agree. I think that certain aspects of a GM's job are really learned on the job. Like managing the 25 man roster, pulling the trigger on trades, negotiating contracts,etc. GM is a big leap from assistant GM. I think this is one reason Castellini brought in Jocketty. Jocketty has these types of skills/experience and can help mentor Wayne. The team of Krivsky/Jocketty is much better than either one. They have very complimentary skills.

If I am incorrect, please let me know, but I thought one of WK's strong suits coming over from the Twins was experience in contract negotiation?

Jojo has an excellent post in the latter part of the "Reds acquire a pitcher..." thread which details WK's contractual highlights and lowlights in this respect, and I think we can generously give an incomplete on the contract issue with a huge final exam in the form of addressing Adam Dunn in 2008.

Jocketty's reputed strength in St. Louis had always been trading players with little to no service time for established veterans--highlighted by Bottenfield/Kennedy for Edmonds, 3 PTBNL for Larry Walker, Polanco/Timlin for Rolen, Braden Looper/Pablo Ozuna et al for Edgar Renteria and Coco Crisp for Chuck Finley--but his most recent big move turned out a real stinker (Mulder), so there is strong data on either side of the ledger. Conversely, he dealt J.D. Drew and Eli Marrero for Adam Wainwright, Ray King, and Jason Marquis. Bear in mind that I am probably omitting more than a few key moves...Jocketty's experience is a boon in his consulting role, but I believe his mentoring influence on WK specifically can be overstated.