PDA

View Full Version : You're the MLB Commish for a Day - What do you change?

jmcclain19
03-16-2008, 01:06 AM
So I've booted out Bud Selig for the day, and installed you as the Commissioner. You've got one day to overhaul the sport you love.

What do you do? Or do you not change a thing?

Here's my laundry list

If I were Commish for a day - I'd make the NL teams institute the DH rule, the mound would get hiked up and football like pads would be completely eliminated from baseball.

Here's my explanation.

Every level of baseball has the DH rule - from little league on up, except for the National League. Fans come out to the ballpark to watch the best take on the best, and watching Aaron Harang swinging the lumber doesn't come anything close to that. I firmly believe that given the choice, baseball fans would rather see guys like David Ortiz, Travis Hafner, Ken Griffey & Jim Thome spray balls all over the yard long past when they are useful with a glove than watch pitchers do their blindfolded swinging at a pinata routine five times a night.

The padding rule & hiked up mound gives the edge back to the pitchers, while the DH rule swings the balance back just a hair.

Any thoughts?

WMR
03-16-2008, 01:09 AM
1) Institute world-wide draft

2) Institute a salary cap

3) Abolish the DH

Coffeybro
03-16-2008, 02:22 AM
while the DH rule swings the balance back just a hair

Just one thought on this. The DH rule protects a pitcher in an unexpected way also. It allows a pitcher to not have to worry about retaliation against himself when he next comes to the plate.

redsfan4445
03-16-2008, 05:21 AM
1) No pitcher ever bats in the All-Star game again(DH belongs in the All-star game)
2) Draft Day, trades can be made using MLB players to get those draft picks
3) Reinstate Pete Rose (If Steroid Cheaters can change the outcome of a game and get away with it, Pete did his betting after he was done being a player and his stats werent Roids enhanced!!and deserves a 2nd chance as he paid his dues)
4) sell stock on wall market for fans to purchase that helps every team be competitive, so a salary cap is allowed!
5) Cincinnati gets back the tradition of playing the first game of each season (1st team ever deserves this)
6) Hall of Fame changes to allow 2 players voted in by the most ballots each year (no more ridiculous 75% of the ballot to let some players get 1 vote or 2 that never deserved it keep somebody out deserving)
7) increase the All-Star roster by 5, to include a player about to retire from each league that has a long history and allow the fans to vote 3 of the 4 additional remaining spots
8) cut down spring training games by 10 and include 2 Double Headers during the season to keep the World Series from ending late October into early November.
9) ALL Post season games will not start past 7:30 pm as well as not have any NL and AL playoff games start at the same time!!
10) Ask for Replay for every post season game to keep any bad call from costing a team a championship (foul ball, Safe on a close play at a base and if its a homerun or not)

Jpup
03-16-2008, 07:20 AM
end interleague play and mandate a salary structure.

Redhook
03-16-2008, 08:18 AM
end interleague play and mandate a salary structure.

Dido.

TOBTTReds
03-16-2008, 08:32 AM
1) Institute world-wide draft

2) Institute a salary cap

3) Abolish the DH

Bingo.

mth123
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I'd be pretty radical and eliminate the AL and NL completely. I'd realign geographically (as best you can) to 6 divisions of 5 teams each. Each team would play the other 4 teams in its own division 20 times (80 Games) and on a rotating basis each team in 2 other divisions 8 times (another 80 games) for a 160 game schedule. All series would be 4 game series to limit travel and reduce the "missed the best pitcher" element of the schedule a bit. The top two teams in each division would make the playoffs (12 teams total) with the 4 best records skipping directly to the second round.

A possible alignment:

North East Great Lakes Southeast NorthWest SouthWest MidWest
New York Yankees Detroit Tigers Florida Marlins Seattle Mariners LA Angels Chicago Cubs
Boston Red Sox Toronto Blue Jays Tampa Bay Rays Colorado Rockies LA Dodgers Chicago White Sox
New York Mets Cleveland Indians Atlanta Braves Oakland A's SD Padres St Louis Cardinals
Philadelphia Phillies Minnesota Twins Houston Astros SF Giants AZ Diamondbacks Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles Milwaukee Brewers Washington Nationals Kansas City Royals Texas Rangers Cincinnati Reds

nate
03-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I'd be pretty radical and eliminate the AL and NL completely. I'd realign geographically (as best you can) to 6 divisions of 5 teams each. Each team would play the other 4 teams in its own division 20 times (80 Games) and on a rotating basis each team in 2 other divisions 8 times (another 80 games) for a 160 game schedule. All series would be 4 game series to limit travel and reduce the "missed the best pitcher" element of the schedule a bit. The top two teams in each division would make the playoffs (12 teams total) with the 4 best records skipping directly to the second round.

A possible alignment:

North East Great Lakes Southeast NorthWest SouthWest MidWest
New York Yankees Detroit Tigers Florida Marlins Seattle Mariners LA Angels Chicago Cubs
Boston Red Sox Toronto Blue Jays Tampa Bay Rays Colorado Rockies LA Dodgers Chicago White Sox
New York Mets Cleveland Indians Atlanta Braves Oakland A's SD Padres St Louis Cardinals
Philadelphia Phillies Minnesota Twins Houston Astros SF Giants AZ Diamondbacks Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles Milwaukee Brewers Washington Nationals Kansas City Royals Texas Rangers Cincinnati Reds

Interesting. I had similar thoughts about realignment. I think interleague play is...well...played.

1. Get rid of the idiotic blackout rules. Allow people in any region to watch any team they want via cable, dish or internet package.

2. I echo trading for draft picks and salary cap.

3. Change the rule that makes a pitcher throw four wide ones for an intentional walk. Just say "walk the guy" and get on to the next batter.

4. Trade Tim McCarver to the WNBA for a pack of Starburst tropical.

RedFanAlways1966
03-16-2008, 11:42 AM
No more MLB games (incl. Spring Training games) in Asia (esp. China) or Europe. Not fair to the players and teams who have to adjust to time differentials when they get there or when they come back. I see no purpose in it other than an attempt to sell more MLB merchandise. The owners get richer while the players suffer for it. Some players are trying to make ML rosters and do not need that obstacle in their attempt. The add'l revenue from merchandise does not amount to squat compared to advertising and TV contracts.

Do not be fooled by the oft heard phrase, "We are trying to make it a worldwide game." They are trying to add a small chunk of change to their already full pockets. Just like the idea of advertising the Spiderman movie by putting logos on the bases during games. The rich getting richer while selling out the game.

So much for a commissioner who does the right thing for the game. Hence, the reason Bud has been there for so long. It is about making more-and-more-and-more money for owners. The game be damned when there is more money to be made.

:censored:

Kc61
03-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Teams play each other no more than 12 times per regular season.

In interleague play, rivalries (Reds-Indians, Yanks-Mets, etc.) play only one series -- except can play two series in years when their divisions play each other as part of regular rotation.

Cut back to 154 game schedule, with regular season ending ten days earlier than now. 8 fewer games, ten fewer days. Overall season ends too late in the year, currently.

All playoff series best 4 of 7.

Enforce a rule requiring pitcher to pitch within x seconds (25?) after getting return throw from catcher. Pitchers have to work faster to speed up games, which are too long.

New ballparks shouldn't be band boxes, nor should they be cavernous. Ball parks should have different features but dimensions shouldn't vary as much as they currently do.

Would try to get mid-market teams more national tv exposure.

And would continue to take steps to enhance competitive balance.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I would appoint Raisor as my assistant and then he'd take over the next day.

RedsManRick
03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
1. Draft picks may be traded, limited to the current and subsequent draft
2. No player can be signed unless he's drafted and cannot be signed until he's age 18
3. Realignment to 4 divisions in each league with 4 teams in each (expansion!)
4. No more wild-card -- win your division
5. Elimination of interleague Play, except for a permanent cross league rival.
6. Luxury tax of 100% for every dollar spent over the soft cap -- soft cap defined based roughly off 200% of the average salary

dougdirt
03-16-2008, 07:36 PM
1. Salary cap of 130 million dollars starting in 2010 (if you go over, for every 5 million over you lose 1 40 man roster spot).
2. Salary floor of 60 million dollars starting in 2010 (for every 5 million you are under, you lose 1 40 man roster spot).
3. Balanced schedules.
4. Balanced leagues and divisions (same number of teams in each league and division).
5. Slot drafting. You sign for slot or you don't sign. No more paying 10th round picks first round money.

Raisor
03-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I would appoint Raisor as my assistant and then he'd take over the next day.

Darn straight!

Will M
03-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Put a team in Toyko and a team in Seoul Korea.

No DH.

154 games schedule.

All three playoff series are best of seven.

Eliminate the draft.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Put an age-restriction on all professional signings at 20 years-old.

The "next step" baseball has to take is growing the college game. It would be to the benefit of the league if top prospects were household names before they were even drafted. That can happen when top-HS talent goes to college and when said college games are televised by the ESPN Networks (which they inevitably would be).

It would also benefit the league if drafted players entered professional ball on a shorter development track than the current 18 year-old prep phenom usually is.

StillFunkyB
03-16-2008, 10:07 PM
The very first thing I would do is totally restructure and/or eliminate the STUPID blackout rules. I would make it so that if you PURCHASED the MLB package on TV, you get to watch any game that is televised. If I'm not mistaken, I am pretty sure every single game is televised now.

Second thing I would do is allow Pete Rose to be voted into the HOF. I would not allow him to work in the majors again, but if the voters would vote him in I would let them.

I would keep the DH the way it is, but as already suggested, I would have the DH in the All-Star game.

I would also go back to the tradition of having the Reds play the first game of the season. Why they went away with this makes no sense to me. To me it's the same thing as if they stopped using the mud from the Delaware to dull the shine of the ball.

Highlifeman21
03-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Add a designated fielder. If we're going to keep the DH, then we might as well institute the DF. 10 players in the lineup, 9 bat.

Eliminate agents. All contracts have the same base level salary, and then you have performance based bonuses. Individual players set their respective goals, and then are subsequently rewarded for achievement.

Raise the damn mound. It's been 40 years since they lowered it. It's time to bump it back up.

Increase the roster size. 25 isn't enough. 30 would be too many. There's a happy number inbetween. 28 sounds good to me.

Eliminate the infield fly rule.

Modify the drop 3rd strike rule to allow the batter to take off towards 1st at any time. The play at 1st is obviously a force out, but make the plays at 2nd or 3rd (if applicable) a tag out.

Modify the out of play rule. If a defender goes completely into the stands to catch a ball, any runners on base get a free base.

Cedric
03-17-2008, 12:36 AM
I would abolish the DH for the good of baseball and battle with the players union in court if need be. It's absolutely the dumbest rule in any major sport, much less our oldest of the major sports.

Cedric
03-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Put an age-restriction on all professional signings at 20 years-old.

The "next step" baseball has to take is growing the college game. It would be to the benefit of the league if top prospects were household names before they were even drafted. That can happen when top-HS talent goes to college and when said college games are televised by the ESPN Networks (which they inevitably would be).

It would also benefit the league if drafted players entered professional ball on a shorter development track than the current 18 year-old prep phenom usually is.

If baseball used a 20 year old signing rule the sport would lose even more athletes to other sports. The one thing that is keeping any African Americans in the game is allowing the football/baseball prospects to sign early. With that rule I can't even imagine how many great players/prospects would never play baseball again.

George Anderson
03-17-2008, 01:05 AM
1) Eliminate the rule where the league that won the All Star Game will get the home field advantage in the WS.

2) Like the NBA, have the teams with the best records decide who has home field advantage.

3) Keep the season 162 games but demand that the owners allow 3-4 doubleheaders be played during the season. This will allow the WS to end in late October as opposed to in some cases early November.

4) Create a system that an umpire who continually performs poorly on the field be demoted the minors.

5) Allow the managers to not have to wear a uniform on the field.

6) Keep interleague play, it helps spark interest during the season.

7) Get rid of the new rule that base coaches have to wear helmets, this isn't little league.

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2008, 01:35 AM
If baseball used a 20 year old signing rule the sport would lose even more athletes to other sports. The one thing that is keeping any African Americans in the game is allowing the football/baseball prospects to sign early. With that rule I can't even imagine how many great players/prospects would never play baseball again.

Baseball's abysmal efforts at reaching the African American youth is a topic worthy of it's own thread.

Here's my logic with the rule change, though:

If you increase the signing age, you send more players to college. If you send more players to college, the competition level at college increases. If the competition level at college increases, it'll force colleges to do a better job developing talent in order to compete. When that happens, the players exiting college will be at a higher level and more prepared to succeed in the minor/major leagues. When that happens, you'll also see more college games on television.

If that happens, the development track for drafted talent shrinks. When the development track is short, it makes teams more willing to part with dollars and gives the players extra leverage to demand more dollars (since the odds of failure diminish). When contracts paid to drafted baseball talents increase, it will increase interest in the game among youths who are looking at baseball as a career.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the two most popular HS sports are also the two most popular college sports, the two most televised college sports, and the two sports which (when the kids go pro) pay the most up-front money to top-drafted talent.

Cedric
03-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Baseball's abysmal efforts at reaching the African American youth is a topic worthy of it's own thread.

If you increase the signing age, you send more players to college. If you send more players to college, the competition level at college increases. If the competition level at college increases, it'll force colleges to do a better job developing talent in order to compete. When that happens, the players exiting college will be at a higher level and more prepared to succeed in the minor/major leagues. When that happens, you'll also see more college games on television.

If that happens, the development track for drafted talent shrinks. When the development track is short, it makes teams more willing to part with dollars and gives the players extra leverage to demand more dollars (since the odds of failure diminish). When contracts paid to drafted baseball talents increase, it will increase interest in the game among youths who are looking at baseball as a career.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the two most popular HS sports are also the two most popular college sports, the two most televised college sports, and the two sports which (when the kids go pro) pay the most up-front money to top-drafted talent.

Baseball is way more popular than the NBA in terms of ratings and overall attendance/income. And honestly until last year the NCAA had been missing the best players for about ten plus years. I don't think college baseball will ever be popular no matter what happens with an age limit. People just hate the "ping" and the fact that Nortern teams are at such a disadvantage. It's a hot weather sport and that leaves out the biggest media market and plenty of other huge baseball towns.

BCubb2003
03-17-2008, 01:56 AM
I'd extend my contract. Then I'd institute the world-wide draft.

OldRightHander
03-17-2008, 04:57 AM
1. DH has got to go.

2. If a broadcast station just happens to stream their broadcast online, or is also broadcast on satellite radio, the same programming that can be heard over the air shall be heard over those other formats, even if that programming happens to be a baseball game. If WLW is carrying the Reds, there's no reason why the XM broadcast of WLW shouldn't have the game as well. Likewise with the internet stream.

3. No team should play their first series outside of the country. The fans of the team deserve to see the beginning of the season in their own park, or at least the home park of the opponent.

4. Opening Day is a day game...period. No more Sunday night games to start the season. The Reds get the first game too. Why mess with tradition.

15fan
03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Scrap interleague play, the DH, home field being decided in the ASG, and ditch the wild card.

Both leagues go back to 2 divisions - East & West.

Pants can't come down any lower than 1/2 way between the knee and ankle.

Draft picks can be traded.

Implement some sort of revenue sharing mechanism, but in no way, shape or form do I ever want to see anything along the lines of a salary cap.

bucksfan2
03-17-2008, 09:40 AM
1) Salary cap. Both ceilings and floors.
2) Draft slot figures. You are not allowed to go beyond the slot amount. It is just stupid that the teams that need the top players are unable to draft them because of signability concerns.
3) Bye bye DH. If you can't play the field then you don't belong in the game.
4) Olympic type random drug testing. As long as it physically doesn't effect your performance then any test any time.
5) Move a team out of Florida.
6) Abolish Bud Selig from baseball.

membengal
03-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Make batting Juan Castro second, even in spring training games, illegal.

Screwball
03-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Ouch.

membengal 1, Juan Castro 0.

klw
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
1) 7) Get rid of the new rule that base coaches have to wear helmets, this isn't little league.

Had the rule been in place, maybe Mike Coolbaugh would be not have been killed. Keep the rule.
http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=2945798

George Anderson
03-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Had the rule been in place, maybe Mike Coolbaugh would be not have been killed. Keep the rule.
http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=2945798

In the 100 plus years of professional baseball one guy was killed because of a freak accident.

Herb Score had a HOF career that was cut short because of a line drive hitting his face. Shouldn't we mandate helmets for the pitchers then?

klw
03-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I see your point and I thought of that when I first read your post. (not the Score example but the idea behind it) The odds are certainly against the helmets being necessary. Unlike with a player trying to field with a helmet, putting a little extra protection on a coach, who isn't necessarily always focused on the batter, won't harm his ability to the job. I say try the rule out for a year or two at least.

KronoRed
03-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I like the new rule, it isn't keeping coaches from doing their jobs and it might save a life.

KronoRed
03-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Take it one step further, no Juan Castro in MLB.

Team Clark
03-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Reinstate Pete so I could watch Redszone go wild for weeks on end.