PDA

View Full Version : The NCAA Brackets

Chip R
03-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Post your thoughts here on the field of 65.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Carolina's the overall #1 seed.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Memphis, Kansas and UCLA are the other 1 seeds.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Time for me to make my yearly complaint about the "Play-in" game:

It's ridiculous and insulting that teams that get automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament are forced to play an extra game to get into the "field."

The play-in game should be between 2 bubble teams -- preferably the "last two" in.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:11 PM
IU is an 8 seed in Raleigh and will play Arkansas. The winner to face Carolina.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:12 PM
#2 seed Tennessee will play American at Birmingham. East Region.

Louisville will also play in Birmingham as a 3 seed and play Boise St.

Razor Shines
03-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Butler got hosed big time as a #7 seed.

GoReds
03-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Tennessee in the same region as Carolina? Wow. If Tennessee had won the SEC, they would have been the #1 see over Kansas.

GoReds
03-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Time for me to make my yearly complaint about the "Play-in" game:

It's ridiculous and insulting that teams that get automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament are forced to play an extra game to get into the "field."

The play-in game should be between 2 bubble teams -- preferably the "last two" in.

I agree. Add to that, instead of one play-in game, expand the field by three and have four play-in games. The winners matchup with the #1 seeds.

GoReds
03-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Clemson a #5 seed? Thought they would be a potential #3 seed.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:20 PM
O.J. Mayo and USC taking on K-State and Michael Beasley in Omaha.

GoReds
03-16-2008, 06:20 PM
USC-Kansas State is the game of the first round, so far.

GoReds33
03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Tennessee in the same region as Carolina? Wow. If Tennessee had won the SEC, they would have been the #1 see over Kansas.They shouldn't have lost. It's all about what you have done recently.

GoReds
03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Not arguing that Tenn should be a #1 seed - they shouldn't. But that's an awfully strong #2 to match up against the top seeded Carolina.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
UK in as an 11 seed playing Marquette in Anaheim.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:34 PM
WVU and Huggs playing Arizona in DC

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
XU in as a 3 seed and playing Georgia in DC.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
tOSU does not make it.

AccordinglyReds
03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Bout damn time Arizona was shown! :)

GoReds33
03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
XU in as a 3 seed and playing Georgia in DC.Georgia's going to be tough for them. They have gone under the radar most of the year.

Caseyfan21
03-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Some interesting choices there for sure with the at large teams.

joshnky
03-16-2008, 06:47 PM
The Midwest seems like an awfully tough bracket with some tough lower seeds like Kent St and Davidson.

I was hopeful that Louisville would get a #3 and I don't know how they could have gotten a better draw. Oklahoma shouldn't be too tough and I'm more worried about Butler than I am about Tennessee. I think its very realistic to think they might make the Elite 8 and hopefully someone else will upset UNC.

Boston Red
03-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Georgia's going to be tough for them. They have gone under the radar most of the year.

Xavier will kill Georgia IMO. There's a reason Georgia was 13-16 a few days ago.

Reds Freak
03-16-2008, 06:55 PM
My Muskies will definately have a tough road to the Final Four, as many had predicted for them, assuming the seeds hold true: Georgia, Purdue, Duke, UCLA...

Boston Red
03-16-2008, 06:57 PM
BTW, it's kind of cruel of the Selection Committee to put Georgia in a Thursday/Saturday bracket.

GoReds33
03-16-2008, 07:00 PM
My bracket:

AccordinglyReds
03-16-2008, 07:02 PM
My bracket:

How did you make that? Via Yahoo? GL. :)

GoReds33
03-16-2008, 07:06 PM
How did you make that? Via Yahoo? GL. :)Yahoo. That's my bracket for our Redszone competition.

Razor Shines
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't understand how Xavier can get a 3 seed and Butler drops to a 7 seed. I think Xavier deserves the 3. Xavier's 9th in RPI, and Butler is 17th. To me Butler should have gotten a 4 seed, and at the absolute least a 5 seed.

I guess it was losing to Drake that killed them.

GoReds33
03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't understand how Xavier can get a 3 seed and Butler drops to a 7 seed. I think Xavier deserves the 3. Xavier's 9th in RPI, and Butler is 17th. To me Butler should have gotten a 4 seed, and at the absolute least a 5 seed.I agree. I also thought that Xavier's loss the other night would drop them into a 4 seed.

Cyclone792
03-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Well I've made my picks ... or should I say most of my picks. Here's the games I'm a bit stuck on right now (suggestions welcome!) ...

6 seed Oklahoma vs. 11 seed St. Josephs (I have Louisville winning the second round here anyway)
7 seed Miami (FL) vs. 10 seed St. Marys (I have Texas winning the second round here anyway)
8 seed BYU vs. 9 seed Texas A&M (I have UCLA winning the second round here anyway)

and last but not least ...

2 seed Duke vs. 3 seed Xavier (I'm leaning on taking UCLA to the Final Four over the winner of this game, but that's only set in really thick paper rather than stone).

Mutaman
03-16-2008, 08:21 PM

I remember the last time Marquette played UK in the NCAA. I think that fellow Wade had a pretty good game.

Razor Shines
03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Well I've made my picks ... or should I say most of my picks. Here's the games I'm a bit stuck on right now (suggestions welcome!) ...

6 seed Oklahoma vs. 11 seed St. Josephs (I have Louisville winning the second round here anyway)
7 seed Miami (FL) vs. 10 seed St. Marys (I have Texas winning the second round here anyway)
8 seed BYU vs. 9 seed Texas A&M (I have UCLA winning the second round here anyway)

2 seed Duke vs. 3 seed Xavier (I'm leaning on taking UCLA to the Final Four over the winner of this game, but that's only set in really thick paper rather than stone).

I like St. Joe's (I think OK is overrated as a 6), Miami (coin flip), BYU (A&M has been pretty bad of late) and Duke. But with Duke I'm probably going with my heart more than I should. I could easily see Xavier winning that one.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2008, 08:50 PM

When in doubt, bet on Coach K.

I'm pulling for X, but there is no way, no how that they beat Duke.

bucksfan
03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
tOSU does not make it.

I can't complain. I'm bummed but can't complain. Knew this was coming ever since that fateful 42 seconds of eleventy billion fouls against the Spartans Friday afternoon. For every Villanova that I think the Bucks are better than there is another excluded team that are probably more or at least equally deserving. It's funny how this dampens my enthusiam for this event though, things usually improve for me once it all gets underway. I just need to make myself get my brackets filled out so I don't regret not having the fun of tracking and rooting fo rmy picks throughout.

Highlifeman21
03-16-2008, 08:58 PM

Duke very well could lose to WVU in Round 2.

In fact, I openly welcome that result.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
It's funny how this dampens my enthusiam for this event though, things usually improve for me once it all gets underway.

Hey, at least you made it this far. My alma mater started the season with a broken bubble.

Sea Ray
03-16-2008, 09:02 PM

Kentucky has the lowest RPI of any at large team. They made it by an eyelash...

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Kentucky has the lowest RPI of any at large team. They made it by reputation alone...

Fixed it for ya... ;)

Cyclone792
03-16-2008, 09:34 PM
When in doubt, bet on Coach K.

I'm pulling for X, but there is no way, no how that they beat Duke.

That's pretty much my line of thinking too.

I went Duke over Xavier, St. Joe's over Oklahoma, BYU over Texas A&M, and St. Marys over Miami (FL). Of course that means I'll probably miss all four games, but what the heck.

GoReds33
03-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Fixed it for ya... ;)Good job.:)

Danny Serafini
03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
First reaction for me is that this has to be the least controversial bracket in a long time. There's no "huh?" team in and no one out who seriously got robbed. ESPN keeps trying to hype up Arizona St., but they never had a prayer. Butler got hosed, not only with getting a 7 but having to play S. Alabama in Birmingham, but if that's the biggest mistake it's not a bad bracket.

15fan
03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Before everyone turns in their brackets & makes their wagers, I recommend reading this piece by Stewart Mandel from a few weeks ago re: Duke down the stretch recently:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/02/21/duke/index.html

3/1/08 - Duke rallies from a big deficit to win @ 15-16 / 4-12 NC State 87-86

3/5/08 - Duke wins @ Virginia 86-70

3/8/08 - Duke loses @ Home to UNC 76-68

3/14/08 - Duke has a fight on their hands with about 10 minutes left before pulling away from Georgia Tech 82-70

3/15/08 - Duke loses to Clemson 78-74.

3-2 in their last 5. On one hand, one loss is to #1 UNC. On the other hand, 1 win is by the skin of their nose at a really bad NC State.

Duke isn't terribly deep. Nor are they very athletic.

Chip R
03-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Duke isn't terribly deep. Nor are they very athletic.

Yep. They are overrated. If they were playing Carolina in the Dean Dome last week, they would have lost by 20.

Jack Burton
03-16-2008, 10:58 PM
I believe Wisconsin is ranked 5th but they got a 3 seed??

WVRed
03-16-2008, 11:04 PM
I have UNC winning the whole thing and beating UCLA in the championship. I feel so dirty.

OSUredsFAN
03-16-2008, 11:09 PM
First reaction for me is that this has to be the least controversial bracket in a long time. There's no "huh?" team in and no one out who seriously got robbed. ESPN keeps trying to hype up Arizona St., but they never had a prayer. Butler got hosed, not only with getting a 7 but having to play S. Alabama in Birmingham, but if that's the biggest mistake it's not a bad bracket.

What, are you serious??
What about Oregon being a 9, let alone in the tourney.
How about Villanova
Speaking of South Ala, they shouldn't even be in the tourney.
Kentucky, no way they should be in
should i keep going???

Degenerate39
03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
O.J. Mayo and USC taking on K-State and Michael Beasley in Omaha.

My friend got O.J.'s autograph at states last year. He said he wouldn't have gotten it if the cheerleader O.J. was with didn't help him out.

I'm hoping Mayo and USC can get pretty far into the tournament he's a heck of a bball player. Not to mention this is probably his last tournament before he goes to the pro's.

WVRed
03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
What, are you serious??
How about Villanova
should i keep going???

Always set your standards low and you will never be disappointed.:)

Speaking of which, didn't you say Kentucky would be NIT dancing?

Crow tastes a lot like chicken doesn't it?

Good luck to the Buckeyes in the NIT.

WVRed
03-16-2008, 11:15 PM
My friend got O.J.'s autograph at states last year. He said he wouldn't have gotten it if the cheerleader O.J. was with didn't help him out.

I'm hoping Mayo and USC can get pretty far into the tournament he's a heck of a bball player. Not to mention this is probably his last tournament before he goes to the pro's.

I have Kansas State beating USC. Beasley will be too much on the inside.

BTW, the real matchup IMO isn't Mayo-Beasley, it will be Mayo-Walker. Two best friends going against each other.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2008, 11:21 PM
I have UNC winning the whole thing and beating UCLA in the championship. I feel so dirty.

Same here.

Kevin Love v. Psycho-T.

Sign me up.

cumberlandreds
03-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Kentucky has the lowest RPI of any at large team. They made it by an eyelash...

Oregon's is lower and they are nine seed. Go figure.

OSUredsFAN
03-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Always set your standards low and you will never be disappointed.:)

Speaking of which, didn't you say Kentucky would be NIT dancing?

Crow tastes a lot like chicken doesn't it?

Good luck to the Buckeyes in the NIT.

I knew the Bucks had no chance to be dancing. There is no way UK should be in, their body of work is terrible, if you ask me. But I don't count.

Danny Serafini
03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
What, are you serious??
How about Villanova
should i keep going???

There's virtually no controversy in what you brought up. Oregon got overseeded, but getting a 9 instead of an 11 isn't going to cause any riots. Villanova got the very last spot. Every team at that point is flawed. Personally I would've taken Massachusetts, but there are plenty of teams you could make cases for and against, and you can make a legit argument for Villanova. There was pretty much mutual agreement that S. Alabama would make the field. And Kentucky is a no-brainer. They went 12-4 in the SEC, there's no way they weren't going to be in the bracket. What four teams would you replace these four with?

cumberlandreds
03-16-2008, 11:30 PM

I agree with you. I think they did the best job I can remember. Arizona State and Va Tech,IMO, don't have much of an argument. Dayton has more to gripe about than those two.

OSUredsFAN
03-17-2008, 12:22 AM
There's virtually no controversy in what you brought up. Oregon got overseeded, but getting a 9 instead of an 11 isn't going to cause any riots. Villanova got the very last spot. Every team at that point is flawed. Personally I would've taken Massachusetts, but there are plenty of teams you could make cases for and against, and you can make a legit argument for Villanova. There was pretty much mutual agreement that S. Alabama would make the field. And Kentucky is a no-brainer. They went 12-4 in the SEC, there's no way they weren't going to be in the bracket. What four teams would you replace these four with?

Oregon should not be in, they are terrible and have and RPI in the 50's
Kentucky-yes they 12-4 vs a bad SEC but what did they do in the OOC.

For one, they should let more of the "non-BCS" teams in (I hate that term)
I would put Dayton in ahead of Ky. or Nova.
Not everyone had S Ala in, but thats ok.

Razor Shines
03-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Before everyone turns in their brackets & makes their wagers, I recommend reading this piece by Stewart Mandel from a few weeks ago re: Duke down the stretch recently:

Is that dude your brother? Because you are really pimpin' that article.

Reds Fanatic
03-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Here is the schedule for the first round:

Thursday March 20

12:20 PM ET No. 14 Georgia at No. 3 Xavier
12:25 PM ET No. 16 Portland State at No. 1 Kansas
12:30 PM ET No. 12 Temple at No. 5 Michigan State
2:30 PM ET No. 11 Kentucky at No. 6 Marquette
2:50 PM ET No. 11 Baylor at No. 6 Purdue
2:55 PM ET No. 9 Kent State at No. 8 UNLV
3:00 PM ET No. 13 Oral Roberts at No. 4 Pittsburgh
5:00 PM ET No. 14 Cornell at No. 3 Stanford
7:10 PM ET No. 11 Kansas State at No. 6 USC
7:10 PM ET No. 15 Belmont at No. 2 Duke
7:20 PM ET No. 13 Winthrop at No. 4 Washington State
7:25 PM ET No. 9 Texas A&M at No. 8 Brigham Young
9:40 PM ET No. 14 Cal State Fullerton at No. 3 Wisconsin
9:40 PM ET No. 10 Arizona at No. 7 West Virginia
9:50 PM ET No. 12 George Mason at No. 5 Notre Dame
9:55 PM ET No. 16 Mississippi Valley State at No. 1 UCLA

Friday March 21

12:15 PM ET No. 15 American University at No. 2 Tennessee
12:25 PM ET No. 10 Davidson at No. 7 Gonzaga
12:30 PM ET No. 10 Saint Mary's at No. 7 Miami (FL)
12:30 PM ET No. 12 Western Kentucky at No. 5 Drake
2:45 PM ET No. 10 South Alabama at No. 7 Butler
2:55 PM ET No. 15 UMBC at No. 2 Georgetown
3:00 PM ET No. 15 Austin Peay at No. 2 Texas
3:00 PM ET No. 13 San Diego at No. 4 Connecticut
7:10 PM ET No. 11 Saint Joseph's at No. 6 Oklahoma
7:20 PM ET No. 13 Siena at No. 4 Vanderbilt
7:25 PM ET No. 9 Oregon at No. 8 Mississippi State
9:40 PM ET No. 9 Arkansas at No. 8 Indiana
9:40 PM ET No. 14 Boise State at No. 3 Louisville
9:50 PM ET No. 12 Villanova at No. 5 Clemson
9:55 PM ET No. 16 Texas-Arlington at No. 1 Memphis
TBA No. 16 TBA at No. 1 North Carolina

Cedric
03-17-2008, 01:57 AM
How is Dayton left out for teams like Kentucky and Oregon? Who exactly has Kentucky beaten outside of Lexington? I don't like Kentucky and never will, but they will never get left out of the tournament if there is a shot. It's just not gonna happen.

Kentucky lost to Houston, UAB, Belmont, San Diego, and Georgia. And I don't care if Georgia won a defacto home tournament considering the SEC is weak as hell. That's not even mentioning that Georgia beat Kentucky in their first conference tournament game. UK won exactly three games against tournament teams and two against Georgia who is a joke tournament team.

Kentucky won exactly zero games against any team on the road. Dayton won AT Louisville, beat Pitt, and beat three other tournament teams. They also had two of their three best players out for an extended period of time. Kentucky got rewarded because of their name and the fact they beat Tennessee at home. I think a team with zero good road wins just doesn't deserve a bid.

Another team that has a complaint is Syracuse. They played in a much better conference and still beat more tournament teams than Kentucky. They beat Georgetown, @ 'Nova, against Marquette, and lesser tournament teams like Siena and Cornell.

How can you look at Kentucky and then Syracuse and tell me that Kentucky had a better resume? Where does Kentucky have an advantage? Hell 'Cuse won at Virginia. That is about as good as any Kentucky road win and they also had wins against the teams above. Syracuse seems to always get screwed.

Caseyfan21
03-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Kentucky lost to Houston, UAB, Belmont, San Diego, and Georgia. And I don't care if Georgia won a defacto home tournament considering the SEC is weak as hell. That's not even mentioning that Georgia beat Kentucky in their first conference tournament game. UK won exactly three games against tournament teams and two against Georgia who is a joke tournament team.

You also forgot their losses to Gardner Webb and Vandy by 41.

When they had the tournament selection chair on ESPN he basically said they ignored the results of the SEC tournament because of the circumstances. Agree or disagree at least it makes more sense. I figured since Georgia got the automatic bid they would bump UK out of the field.

improbus
03-17-2008, 06:45 AM
I remember the last time Marquette played UK in the NCAA. I think that fellow Wade had a pretty good game.

One of the darker days of my life....BUT, Bogans did have a bad ankle....

I think I'm going to start crying....

WVRed
03-17-2008, 07:13 AM
How is Dayton left out for teams like Kentucky and Oregon? Who exactly has Kentucky beaten outside of Lexington? I don't like Kentucky and never will, but they will never get left out of the tournament if there is a shot. It's just not gonna happen.

Kentucky won exactly zero games against any team on the road. Dayton won AT Louisville, beat Pitt, and beat three other tournament teams. They also had two of their three best players out for an extended period of time. Kentucky got rewarded because of their name and the fact they beat Tennessee at home. I think a team with zero good road wins just doesn't deserve a bid.

Another team that has a complaint is Syracuse. They played in a much better conference and still beat more tournament teams than Kentucky. They beat Georgetown, @ 'Nova, against Marquette, and lesser tournament teams like Siena and Cornell.

How can you look at Kentucky and then Syracuse and tell me that Kentucky had a better resume? Where does Kentucky have an advantage? Hell 'Cuse won at Virginia. That is about as good as any Kentucky road win and they also had wins against the teams above. Syracuse seems to always get screwed.

Kentucky lost to Belmont this year? News to me.

I also love how everybody piles on the SEC even though we placed SIX teams in the tournament(Georgia would not be there if they had not won the tournament). By contrast, the ACC and Big Ten only placed four.

I think I mentioned in the other thread that everybody would be claiming the Georgia loss was illegitimate as an argument for Kentucky making the tournament.

I guess I can bring this out:

http://www.forcedinduction.net/videos-main/funny/hatorade.gif

15fan
03-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Is that dude your brother? Because you are really pimpin' that article.

No relation at all.

Believe that's only the 2nd time I've mentioned it. If mentioning something a 2nd time constitutes pimpin, then I guess I'm guilty. :cool:

Thought the author did some decent leg work quantifying and analyzing what many of us in ACC land have been noticing the past handful of years. Duke doesn't play anybody away on their home court out of conference. Nor are they athletic or deep (despite having 6-8 McDonald's AAs on their roster in any given year). That's been their achilles heel and it's come back to bite them in March on what's becoming a regular basis.

15fan
03-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I also love how everybody piles on the SEC even though we placed SIX teams in the tournament(Georgia would not be there if they had not won the tournament). By contrast, the ACC and Big Ten only placed four.

If Georgia doesn't win their conference tourney, Va Tech is likely the team that gets in, making it 5 for the SEC and 5 for the ACC.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Game times are now all official.

Thursday:
12:20 PM Georgia at (10) Xavier
12:25 PM Portland State at (5) Kansas
12:30 PM Temple at (19) Michigan State
2:30 PM Kentucky at (25) Marquette
2:50 PM Baylor at (17) Purdue
2:55 PM Kent State at UNLV
3:00 PM Oral Roberts at Pittsburgh
5:00 PM Cornell at (11) Stanford
7:10 PM Belmont at (7) Duke
7:10 PM Kansas State at USC
7:20 PM Winthrop at (21) Washington State
7:25 PM Texas A&M at (24) Brigham Young
9:40 PM Arizona at West Virginia
9:40 PM Cal State Fullerton at (8) Wisconsin
9:50 PM George Mason at (14) Notre Dame
9:55 PM Mississippi Valley State at (3) UCLA

Friday:
12:15 PM American University at (4) Tennessee
12:25 PM (23) Davidson at (20) Gonzaga
12:30 PM Western Kentucky at (16) Drake
12:30 PM Saint Mary's at Miami (FL)
2:45 PM South Alabama at (12) Butler
2:55 PM Maryland-Baltimore County at (9) Georgetown
3:00 PM San Diego at (15) Connecticut
3:00 PM Austin Peay at (6) Texas
7:10 PM St. Joseph's (PA) at Oklahoma
7:20 PM Siena at (18) Vanderbilt
7:25 PM Oregon at Mississippi State
9:40 PM Arkansas at (22) Indiana
9:40 PM Boise State at (13) Louisville
9:50 PM Villanova at Clemson
9:55 PM Texas-Arlington at (2) Memphis

Razor Shines
03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
No relation at all.

Believe that's only the 2nd time I've mentioned it. If mentioning something a 2nd time constitutes pimpin, then I guess I'm guilty. :cool:

Thought the author did some decent leg work quantifying and analyzing what many of us in ACC land have been noticing the past handful of years. Duke doesn't play anybody away on their home court out of conference. Nor are they athletic or deep (despite having 6-8 McDonald's AAs on their roster in any given year). That's been their achilles heel and it's come back to bite them in March on what's becoming a regular basis.

I'm just messing with you, obviously I didn't think it was your brother. Although one mention of the article was enough for me, but you've done your duty. You've warned us of the evils of Duke and tried to save us from ruining our brackets. Of course this is a site where Duke is pretty much thoroughly hated anyway, so you're probably preaching to the choir. Either way I appreciate your service. :thumbup: Just don't let the hatred consume you. I'd hate to hear one day that you stopped going to work and where found rocking back in forth in front of your computer mumbling "Duke's overrated, Duke gets all the calls...."

15fan
03-17-2008, 09:25 AM
I'd hate to hear one day that you stopped going to work and where found rocking back in forth in front of your computer mumbling "Duke's overrated, Duke gets all the calls...."

Nah - I'm not that bad off.

Yet. ;)

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Brucie Pearl is upset with their placement in the bracket. Perhaps it's because he was wearing a spacesuit as they watched.

http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20080317&Category=SPORTS0601&ArtNo=80316008&Ref=AR&Profile=1035&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080317/SPORTS0601/80316008/1035

Johnny Footstool
03-17-2008, 09:58 AM
BTW, the real matchup IMO isn't Mayo-Beasley, it will be Mayo-Walker. Two best friends going against each other.

Walker has been a non-factor for the past 6 weeks. His NBA stock has tumbled considerably. He's started fancying himself as a 3-point shooter, which he really isn't.

WVRed
03-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Walker has been a non-factor for the past 6 weeks. His NBA stock has tumbled considerably. He's started fancying himself as a 3-point shooter, which he really isn't.

Still, as far as Cincinnati goes, that will be what is talked about. If the OHSAA had not ruled Walker ineligible, Mayo would have stayed in Cincinnati.

Walker's temper has been a problem, but he and Beasley both are very emotional players. I remember watching him Walker play Nebraska and picking up three fouls(one a technical for slamming the ball in celebration after a putback) in two minutes.

His biggest strength is dunking the ball. Only problem is, that doesn't work well in college unless you have other tools to be successful. I see Demar DeRozan from USC being a similar player.

Puffy
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Boy, Carolina gets the number 1 seed and gets rewarded with probably the top 2 seed and the top 3 seed (Tennessee and Louisville), not to mention ND as the 5 - thanks tourney committee.

Gonzaga v. Davidson - yipes, great first round game!

Watch for Siena to give Vandy some problems. Don't think the Saints will win, but will give them problems.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Watch for Siena to give Vandy some problems. Don't think the Saints will win, but will give them problems.

People said the same thing last year about George Washington. :)

And Washington State. :D

BRM
03-17-2008, 12:08 PM

Same here. I don't see an overly controversial bracket. The only "wow" factor for me was how tough the East bracket is for Carolina. They don't have the easiest road by any stretch and they are supposed to be the top overall seed.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Same here. I don't see an overly controversial bracket. The only "wow" factor for me was how tough the East bracket is for Carolina. They don't have the easiest road by any stretch and they are supposed to be the top overall seed.

And in turn, UT got a little jobbed if you consider them the top #2 seed. (Never thought I'd say that.)

BRM
03-17-2008, 12:30 PM
And in turn, UT got a little jobbed if you consider them the top #2 seed. (Never thought I'd say that.)

Yep. I can't imagine they were considered the "worst" 2 seed but it looks like they were.

joshnky
03-17-2008, 12:34 PM

I think their only complaint is being paired with UNC. Although I don't think potential Elite 8 matchups are any reason to gripe. You never know what will happen before then.

Also, they were kind of locked into this bracket because of scheduling difficulties. Duke couldn't be paired with UNC, Texas couldn't be paired with Kansas, and the committee might not have wanted a Memphis-UT matchup. Those considerations make it difficult to align.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Also, they were kind of locked into this bracket because of scheduling difficulties. Duke couldn't be paired with UNC, Texas couldn't be paired with Kansas, and the committee might not have wanted a Memphis-UT matchup. Those considerations make it difficult to align.

Duke couldn't be paired with UNC for an Elite 8 matchup? Why not?

It still could have been done as such:
UNC-Gtown
Memphis-Duke
UCLA-Texas
Kansas-Tennessee

joshnky
03-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I believe that I heard that the committee tries to ensure that the top two teams in each conference don't meet before the final 4

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I believe that I heard that the committee tries to ensure that the top two teams in each conference don't meet before the final 4

The brackets certainly are laid out that way.

Seems silly to do that at the expense of giving the #1 overall seed a potentially tougher match-up.

I still would have done it the way I proposed above.

Boston Red
03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I think it's relatively unfair to Tennessee that they may have to play South Alabama in the second round in Birmingham (though I think Butler will take care of that for them). If Memphis has to play Texas in the Regional Final in Houston it will be a total screwing.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I think it's relatively unfair to Tennessee that they may have to play South Alabama in the second round in Birmingham (though I think Butler will take care of that for them). If Memphis has to play Texas in the Regional Final in Houston it will be a total screwing.

Guaranteed that UT will have more fans in Birmingham than USA.

Knoxville to Birmingham: 257 miles
Nashville to Birmingham: 191 miles

Mobile to Birmingham: 258 miles

Agreed about Memphis vs. Texas in Houston being a screwjob.

WVRed
03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Boy, Carolina gets the number 1 seed and gets rewarded with probably the top 2 seed and the top 3 seed (Tennessee and Louisville), not to mention ND as the 5 - thanks tourney committee.

Gonzaga v. Davidson - yipes, great first round game!

I think Vandy, if they can get to the Sweet 16, will give Kansas problems.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 01:00 PM
I think Vandy, if they can get to the Sweet 16, will give Kansas problems.

From your lips to God's ear. :pray:

If that matchup occurred I could see Darrell Arthur and Darnell Jackson having 80 points.

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Mick Cronin was on Ch. 5 last night, and said Siena was his sleeper. I saw them play a bracketbuster game earlier in the season, and they fly on D.

Should be an interesting matchup.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Mick Cronin was on Ch. 5 last night, and said Siena was his sleeper. I saw them play a bracketbuster game earlier in the season, and they fly on D.

Should be an interesting matchup.

Come on. These guys don't look so tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOPwUc2XPU&feature=related

BRM
03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
It still could have been done as such:
UNC-Gtown
Memphis-Duke
UCLA-Texas
Kansas-Tennessee

I would approve of that setup.

Hoosier Red
03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Guaranteed that UT will have more fans in Birmingham than USA.

Knoxville to Birmingham: 257 miles
Nashville to Birmingham: 191 miles

Mobile to Birmingham: 258 miles

Agreed about Memphis vs. Texas in Houston being a screwjob.

I also find it a bit funny when commentators try to make it sound like the location matters for schools like South Alabama.

I imagine if the game were played in Mobile, Tennessee would have more fans than South Alabama who averaged less than 6,000 people for home games in conference.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Should the Final Four be Butler, Notre Dame, Purdue and Western Kentucky? If the NCAA tourney were based on graduation rates it would be.

Here are the results from a study released today about graduation rates at the 65 NCAA tourney institutions. http://www.ncasports.org/2008_Mens_Basketball_Tournament_PR.pdf

I'm surprised by Western Kentucky.

Boston Red
03-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't think USA is going to have a home crowd by any stretch. I just think it's odd that a 2 seed is set up to possibly play a 10 seed in that 10 seed's home state. Don't you think the "average joe" fan in Birmingham who bought tickets just to go will be rooting for USA? USA certainly won't have a crowd advantage, but UTK won't have the same overwhelming advantage that they would for a game against, say, St. Mary's in Birmingham.

Boston Red
03-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Should the Final Four be Butler, Notre Dame, Purdue and Western Kentucky? If the NCAA tourney were based on graduation rates it would be.

Here are the results from a study released today about graduation rates at the 65 NCAA tourney institutions. http://www.ncasports.org/2008_Mens_Basketball_Tournament_PR.pdf

Interesting (yet ridiculous) link. Does the author REALLY think that a 61% vs. 37% white vs. black disparity in graduation rate is because college campuses "aren't welcoming places to people of color"? Wrong thread, I know, but I'm going to have to guess that the root cause goes just a bit deeper than that.

BRM
03-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Kentucky looks pretty sorry in that study. Indiana's rate is higher than I expected to see.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't think USA is going to have a home crowd by any stretch. I just think it's odd that a 2 seed is set up to possibly play a 10 seed in that 10 seed's home state. Don't you think the "average joe" fan in Birmingham who bought tickets just to go will be rooting for USA? USA certainly won't have a crowd advantage, but UTK won't have the same overwhelming advantage that they would for a game against, say, St. Mary's in Birmingham.

Joe Average fan in Kalamazoo Michigan would be rooting for a #10 seed over a #2 seed as well.

Based on what I know about the "resourcefulness" of UT fans, they'll be there, in force. Especially for a second round game.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Kentucky looks pretty sorry in that study.

Blame Tubby? :dunno:

Boston Red
03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, but the Birmingham fans will have an actual hometown rooting interest. Not a huge deal, obviously, but it's definitely not ideal for Tennessee.

BRM
03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Blame Tubby? :dunno:

For some reason, I doubt it was much higher during the Hall, Sutton, or Pitino era's. But I could be wrong.

BRM
03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Based on what I know about the "resourcefulness" of UT fans, they'll be there, in force. Especially for a second round game.

Man, I sure hope they bring their band along to play Rocky Top every couple of minutes.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 02:58 PM
For some reason, I doubt it was much higher during the Hall, Sutton, or Pitino era's. But I could be wrong.

Nope. I'd say you're right.

BTW, this is only a survey of 4 freshman classes. So... small sample size.

BRM
03-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Nope. I'd say you're right.

BTW, this is only a survey of 4 freshman classes. So... small sample size.

Ah, I didn't read the entire attachment.

dabvu2498
03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Man, I sure hope they bring their band along to play Rocky Top every couple of minutes.

Just in case they don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFNc_rHEXiI&feature=related

BRM
03-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Here's some bracket advice from Paul Daugherty.

Don't go nuts with the upsets. The committee knows what it's doing. It gets better at it every year.

If you must, I advise these bracket-busters: St. Joe's over Oklahoma. Davidson over Gonzaga. Either WVU in Round 2 or Xavier in Round 3 over Duke. I think the only 1 seed not in San Antonio is Memphis, which will lose either to Pitt or Texas.

If all of this happens, I will gloat until the Fourth of July. If none happens, I will disavow all knowledge.

Highlifeman21
03-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Anyone else got George Mason over Notre Dame in the 1st Round?

BRM
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM

A 1st round exit two years in a row for the Irish? My heart says no way.

BRM
03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
IU's Lance Stemler was surprised with the 8 seed. Dakich wasn't surprised at all.

"We're going to focus on Arkansas, but we know there's a great opportunity for us ahead if we do get to play North Carolina and shock the world with an upset," Stemler said. "Then we become the No. 1 seed.

"We're going to take it one game at a time and hopefully come together and play well."

I wish I shared Lance's optimism.

klw
03-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Go Wildcats!

No not those Wildcats the other ones.

No not those Wildcats the other ones.

Fine. Go Davidson! (RPI 19 Ranked 23 in two polls. 22 straight wins. Oh lets make you a 10 seed.)

Danny Serafini
03-17-2008, 08:00 PM

George Mason is going to be a hugely popular upset pick that doesn't come through. People think of the Final Four team, but this team isn't that one.

CrackerJack
03-17-2008, 08:51 PM

WKU is a notrious grade inflation school , like many other medium-sized public universitiy/diploma factories these days. I went to one - NKU. But that's probably why it would surprise someone - it's out of whack with their requirements to get in, which are pretty typical or low compared to a school like ND. Why would they be in the top 4? The NCAA should take a peek. :)

macro
03-18-2008, 11:45 AM

I may be wrong, and I'm too lazy/busy to check out this year's brackets, but I think they spread out teams from the same conference so that they cannot even meet in the round of sixteen.

Either way, this goes back to the 1986 season. Kentucky found itself in a Sweet Sixteen Southeast Regional bracket with conference rivals Alabama and LSU, both of which they had beaten twice in the regular season and also in the SEC tournament.

In order to make the Final Four, Kentucky would have to go 4-0 on the season against Alabama (which they did) and then turn around and go 4-0 on the season against LSU (which they did not).

The law of averages got the best of that UK team, which had entered the game 35-3 against the #11 seeded LSU Tigers. It was then that the committee decided to begin delaying any potential intra-conference matchups until the round of eight.

The 1986 LSU team is tied for the lowest seed to ever make the Final Four, by the way. Had they not been given a fourth shot at their rivals, they would not have made the Final Four in 1986.

Roy Tucker
03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I have made my picks.

This year, instead of the serious study I normally do and end up being horribly wrong, I took about 2 minutes and clicked down through the bracket and went with my knee-jerk reaction. And then I didn't change a one and exited.

We'll see.

Highlifeman21
03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
George Mason is going to be a hugely popular upset pick that doesn't come through. People think of the Final Four team, but this team isn't that one.

I think the basis of my logic for picking George Mason hinges largely on the fact that I can't stand Notre Dame.

My love for Notre Dame trumps my love for Duke, and my love for tOSU, if you can imagine that.

macro
03-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I have made my picks.

This year, instead of the serious study I normally do and end up being horribly wrong, I took about 2 minutes and clicked down through the bracket and went with my knee-jerk reaction. And then I didn't change a one and exited.

We'll see.

My 65-year-old mother, who watches no one but UK, did that last year and won her pool over about 150 people, many of them coaches and/or former athletes.

BRM
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
My 65-year-old mother, who watches no one but UK, did that last year and won her pool over about 150 people, many of them coaches and/or former athletes.

Die-hard fans tend to over-analyze every single matchup. I've participated in several office pools over the years and the winners by and large are casual fans, not die-hards. Same goes for quite a few weekly football pick'ems.

dabvu2498
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Some fun ways to pick your bracket: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pool/080314

BRM
03-18-2008, 12:21 PM
When are you heading south, Dab?

Boston Red
03-18-2008, 12:23 PM
The 1986 LSU team is tied for the lowest seed to ever make the Final Four, by the way. Had they not been given a fourth shot at their rivals, they would not have made the Final Four in 1986.

In the Selection Committee's defense, who in their right mind thought LSU would make it to the Regional Final? They were an 11 seed. They should have been out in round one.

In any event, the loss just saved UK the embarrassment of getting bounced out of Dallas by Never Nervous Pervis and the Cards. ;)

dabvu2498
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
When are you heading south, Dab?

Thursday late afternoon. :cool:

BRM
03-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Thursday late afternoon. :cool:

Have a great time buddy. I'll be rooting for your Commodores this weekend.

dabvu2498
03-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Have a great time buddy. I'll be rooting for your Commodores this weekend.

Gonna be a blast. The wife decided to go with when she heard Tampa.

And my old man and a couple of his buddies got tickets through his Western Kentucky connections.

I can't wait.

BRM
03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Sounds like a great weekend for you.

I'm planning on burning up a few vacation hours Thursday and Friday to watch the games. I love this time of year!

dabvu2498
03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Sounds like a great weekend for you.

I'm planning on burning up a few vacation hours Thursday and Friday to watch the games. I love this time of year!

Nothing better in the world than tournament basketball.

BRM
03-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Here's a pretty good article on Bruce Pearl, for those who may be interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3299331&sportCat=ncb

Revering4Blue
03-18-2008, 06:56 PM
This ranking list comes with a warning label—not unlike a pack of cigarettes, but unquestionably better for your health.

Warning: This is not designed as a rank of team accomplishments, perceived strength or best uniforms. It is intended to list the teams in the 2008 NCAA Tournament in order of their potential to win the national championship. The ranking factors in the qualities most tournament winners possess, as well as individual talent, injuries, particular matchups and the demands of each team’s draw.

Now that you’ve read this, you are free to move on to the list:

1. UCLA
2. Kansas
3. North Carolina
4. Memphis
5. Texas
6. Louisville
7. Tennessee
8. Connecticut
9. Southern California
10. Xavier
11. Georgetown
12. Duke
13. Pitt
14. Washington State
15. Wisconsin
16. Stanford
17. Michigan State
18. Indiana
19. Arizona
20. Clemson
21. Notre Dame
22. Purdue
23. Butler
24. Marquette
25. Gonzaga
26. Arkansas
27. Vanderbilt
28. Kansas State
29. Drake
30. Oklahoma
31. Villanova
32. Mississippi State
33. West Virginia
34. Texas A&M
35. Davidson
36. Western Kentucky
37. St. Mary’s
38. Oregon
39. Temple
40. Baylor
41. Saint Joseph’s
42. Miami
43. Kent State
44. Kentucky
45. UNLV
46. BYU
47. South Alabama
48. George Mason
49. Georgia
50. San Diego
51. Siena
52. Winthrop
53. Cornell
54. Oral Roberts
55. Cal State Fullerton
56. Boise State
57. Belmont
58. UMBC
59. Austin Peay
60. American
61. Texas Arlington
62. Portland State
63. Mississippi Valley State
64. Mt. St. Mary’s
65. Coppin State

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=A0WTeR5jR.BHGJEA0wDevbYF?slug=rankingthe ncaafieldteams&prov=tsn&type=lgns

macro
03-18-2008, 07:14 PM
In the Selection Committee's defense, who in their right mind thought LSU would make it to the Regional Final? They were an 11 seed. They should have been out in round one.

In any event, the loss just saved UK the embarrassment of getting bounced out of Dallas by Never Nervous Pervis and the Cards. ;)

Oh, I don't know about that. The Cats handled Pervis and the Cardinals by five or six points earlier that season. Louisville didn't want any of Kentucky in the Final Four. :cool:

Boston Red
03-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Hell, even the "mighty" Bearcats under Tony Yates managed to handle the Cards earlier that year. Not in March, though.

1986 was also the year the world really met Coach K and, of course, the esteemed Jay Bilas, Esq.

Razor Shines
03-18-2008, 07:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=A0WTeR5jR.BHGJEA0wDevbYF?slug=rankingthe ncaafieldteams&prov=tsn&type=lgns

That list is BULL!!! How the crap is Coppin St. ranked below Mt. St. Marys? Coppin St. should be at least 63 or 64. No respect. I'm tired of it.

Reds Fanatic
03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
You can see what games are going to be shown in different parts of the country for Thursday's games here. Just click on coverage map and you can see what games your station is showing.

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/ncaabb/

WMR
03-19-2008, 01:36 PM
UK has a great shot to beat Marquette. Crean is an extremely over-rated coach.

BRM
03-19-2008, 01:39 PM
UK has a great shot to beat Marquette. Crean is an extremely over-rated coach.

UK can't beat anyone away from Rupp Arena. Haven't you heard?

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I love this game!

Tom Crean: 163-64 = 66.0% Final Fours: 1
Billy Gillispie: 118-70 = 63.1% Final Fours: 0

:)

BRM
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I love this game!

Tom Crean: 163-64 = 66.0% Final Fours: 1
Billy Gillispie: 118-70 = 63.1% Final Fours: 0

:)

That just proves Crean is lucky, not good. :rolleyes:

Billy is a 5 time COY, darnit!

WMR
03-19-2008, 01:48 PM
How many NCAA tourney wins does Crean have w/o Dwyane Wade?

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 01:52 PM
How many NCAA tourney wins does Crean have w/o Dwyane Wade?

How many does Billy have without Acie Law?

WMR
03-19-2008, 01:54 PM
How long was Billy G at A&M? How long has Crean been at Marquette?

BRM
03-19-2008, 01:57 PM

So Crean is overrated because he's stuck with one school for a long time while Billy jumps ship every couple of years?

WMR
03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
:lol: Yeah, that was the point I was making.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 01:59 PM

Yeah. You're right. Billy G didn't actually recruit Law to A+M. :D

BRM
03-19-2008, 01:59 PM
:lol: Yeah, that was the point I was making.

What exactly was the point you were making?

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Crean has been at Marquette for a LONG time and has won in the NCAA tourney only ONCE, when he had a superstar.

Billy G was at A&M very, very briefly.

Comparing Billy G's resume at A&M versus Crean's at Marquette is giving a huge advantage in time to Crean (Time that Crean has been unable to utilize into any appreciable results).

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Crean has been at Marquette for a LONG time and has won in the NCAA tourney only ONCE, when he had a superstar.

Billy G was at A&M very, very briefly.

Comparing Billy G's resume at A&M versus Crean's at Marquette is giving a huge advantage in time to Crean (Time that Crean has been unable to utilize into any appreciable results).

Billy G hasn't been anywhere long enough to see an entire recruiting class through for all 4 years.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
The performance of Marquette's James will determine the outcome of this game. He is a really streaky shooter. If he is on his game, Ramel and Joe will need to drop about 25 apiece. Hopefully a combination of Ramon Harris, Joe, and Ramel will be able to frustrate him defensively.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
My gut tells me IU and UK are both getting bounced in the 1st round.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Billy G hasn't been anywhere long enough to see an entire recruiting class through for all 4 years.

Do you honestly blame him for that?

If I was in his shoes, and wanted to reach the pinnacle of my profession, each of the step-ups that he has taken is a no-brainer IMO.

Does Billy G have NBA aspirations? I don't believe he does; he doesn't come across as that kind of coach interested in dealing with the NBA ego, HOWEVER, if that WAS his goal, I could not fault him for leaving UK for an NBA gig if it was his life-long dream to coach in the NBA.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
My gut tells me IU and UK are both getting bounced in the 1st round.

There's a good chance you're right.

This year, I'm just ecstatic that UK made the big dance.

Quite an accomplishment considering how they began the season when everyone in the media was proclaiming them D.O.A.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Do you honestly blame him for that?

Blame him? Nahhh... Just not ready to annoint him as the second coming of John Wooden till he proves he can win with his own players. :D

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I agree with ya wholeheartedly.

It just feels so damn good to finally begin to remember what it feels like to be optimistic about the future of UK basketball.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:10 PM
If UK lost in the 1st round, the season would still be considered a success considering where they were in December. IU losing in the 1st round would be pretty disheartening considering where they were a month ago. However, IU's season changed in dramatic fashion when Mr. AT&T got the axe.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Blame him? Nahhh... Just not ready to annoint him as the second coming of John Wooden till he proves he can win with his own players. :D

Patrick Patterson is his player. Is that enough?

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I wonder where Ebanks will end up now. Kid is a stud.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:12 PM

I don't know and I don't care.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:12 PM
I wonder how many kids will transfer? I could definitely see Crawford transferring... who do you think are the likeliest candidates?

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't know and I don't care.

He's saying IU is still in the picture...

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:13 PM

Memphis, allegedly.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I wonder how many kids will transfer? I could definitely see Crawford transferring... who do you think are the likeliest candidates?

Crawford and Ellis are the likeliest in my opinion. I could also see Bassett and McGee leaving as well.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:16 PM
He's saying IU is still in the picture...

He's trying to be nice. It will never happen.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll be in Cleveland for the game tomorrow... question: I have ESPN Full Court. Will they be broadcasting the games on the ESPN Full Court channels or will I need to watch it online?

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:20 PM
I agree with ya wholeheartedly.

It just feels so damn good to finally begin to remember what it feels like to be optimistic about the future of UK basketball.

You don't remember 3 years ago?

28-6, 14-2 in the conference
Ranked #5/#7
#2 seed in the tourney
Stud recruiting class (Morris, Rondo, Crawford, Bradley) coming in.

Those were pretty heady days. And not ages ago.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I'll be in Cleveland for the game tomorrow... question: I have ESPN Full Court. Will they be broadcasting the games on the ESPN Full Court channels or will I need to watch it online?

Online. Go here: http://ncaasports.com/mmod to sign up for a free VIP pass. It will same you alot of time waiting in line.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:22 PM
That was a Tubby Smith team so it clearly doesn't count.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:23 PM
You don't remember 3 years ago?

28-6, 14-2 in the conference
Ranked #5/#7
#2 seed in the tourney
Stud recruiting class (Morris, Rondo, Crawford, Bradley) coming in.

Those were pretty heady days. And not ages ago.

Having good players is one aspect of it... player development and running a good offense is something else.

Also, difficult to succeed at Kentucky when you only recruit UK-caliber athletes every other year.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Online. Go here: http://ncaasports.com/mmod to sign up for a free VIP pass. It will same you alot of time waiting in line.

Already did that.

So the games definitely won't be on ESPN Full Court?

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Already did that.

So the games definitely won't be on ESPN Full Court?

I wouldn't think so. CBS has the rights to all things March Madness.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Having good players is one aspect of it... player development and running a good offense is something else.

Also, difficult to succeed at Kentucky when you only recruit UK-caliber athletes every other year.

Yeah. Developing Chuck Hayes, Erik Daniels, Gerald Fitch, Cliff Hawkins sure did pay off for Tubster.

You don't just forget how to do that overnight.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:30 PM
When did those guys graduate?

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't think so. CBS has the rights to all things March Madness.

I think you can buy a package through DirecTV that will get you all of em. Close to 70 bucks, IIRC.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Can't we all just get along? How about we just sing Rocky Top together?

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:32 PM
I think you can buy a package through DirecTV that will get you all of em. Close to 70 bucks, IIRC.

You are correct and CBS owns that too. It's the March Madness package for $69.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:33 PM
When did those guys graduate?

Graduate? I dunno.

The ran out of eligibility in 04: Hawkins, Fitch and Daniels and 05: Hayes.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Think I can get that through my cable system or is it just directv? (I have Time Warner)

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Graduate? I dunno.

The ran out of eligibility in 04: Hawkins, Fitch and Daniels and 05: Hayes.

Hell, you're a UK fan... you're not really claiming that the UK program wasn't becoming stagnant the last 3-4 years are you?

Tubby got us a National Championship. I'll always be grateful for that. Doesn't mean it wasn't time for a change.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Think I can get that through my cable system or is it just directv? (I have Time Warner)

Their website doesn't have it listed as a sports package.

WMR
03-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Their website doesn't have it listed as a sports package.

I wonder how good the games will look on the web feed?

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:38 PM

I've never watched them on the web. :dunno:

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:40 PM

It's not bad. I did it to watch the Dores in the 1st and 2nd rounds last year.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:41 PM
It's not bad. I did it to watch the Dores in the 1st and 2nd rounds last year.

I've got your Dores in the Sweet Sixteen. They better not disappoint. ;)

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Hell, you're a UK fan... you're not really claiming that the UK program wasn't becoming stagnant the last 3-4 years are you?

Tubby got us a National Championship. I'll always be grateful for that. Doesn't mean it wasn't time for a change.

Actually, I think the thing played out about as it should.

Administration wanted him to make changes on his staff. He wanted to be loyal to his guys. He leaves. I think the way it ended was wholly appropriate.

I don't appreciate UK fans acting like the guy didn't know what the hell he was doing.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I've got your Dores in the Sweet Sixteen. They better not disappoint. ;)

I got em winning the whole thing.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:43 PM

I thought you might. :)

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Hedge all bets on Xavier. SI cover jinx?

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
LOON-ardi says Saints will defeat Commodores.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/news/story?page=videopreviews

He also says Vandy's only wins over NCAA tourney teams were against Tennessee and South Alabama. Guess he didn't see Foster put 42 on Mississippi State. Or the 41 point whoopin of Kentucky. Or beating Georgia twice. Or beating Austin Peay. He just lost all credibility with me.

WMR should feel better, he picked UK to lose also.

BRM
03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I'll quote Dab on this one: If Lunardi said it, take it to the bank.

WMR
03-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Actually, I think the thing played out about as it should.

Administration wanted him to make changes on his staff. He wanted to be loyal to his guys. He leaves. I think the way it ended was wholly appropriate.

I don't appreciate UK fans acting like the guy didn't know what the hell he was doing.

The program was regressing.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
The program was regressing.

Perhaps. Like I said, I'm not angry at how it went down. I just don't like the treatment Tubby gets from quite a few UK fans.

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree with you. Anytime I poke fun at Tubby, I don't mean it with any real ill will. As I've said before, he was the consummate gentleman his entire time at Kentucky.

Also, I think Tubby had definitely had enough. The assistant thing was a convenient excuse, IMO. How many of those assistants did he take with him to Minny?

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I will always laugh, however, when I see that goof ball Saul Smith looking all stupid on the Minny sidelines. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:12 PM
How many of those assistants did he take with him to Minny?

None.

Razor Shines
03-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Crawford and Ellis are the likeliest in my opinion. I could also see Bassett and McGee leaving as well.

You know the way they have played since Sampson left, I say don't let the door hit you on the way out, or let it hit you I don't care.

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:14 PM
You know the way they have played since Sampson left, I say don't let the door hit you on the way out, or let it hit you I don't care.

Bassett has had some of his best games since Sampson left.

All in all though, I agree with you. I'm willing to watch a crappy team for a couple of years if the right coach is brought in.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I agree with you. Anytime I poke fun at Tubby, I don't mean it with any real ill will. As I've said before, he was the consummate gentleman his entire time at Kentucky.

Also, I think Tubby had definitely had enough. The assistant thing was a convenient excuse, IMO. How many of those assistants did he take with him to Minny?

That staff sucked. But he didn't want to be forced to cut those guys loose. I don't blame him.

Razor Shines
03-19-2008, 04:15 PM

For the first time I did a ton of research in filling out my bracket this year. I came up with a final four of: UNC, Notre Dame, Tenn and UCLA. With ND over Tenn in the championship. Mark it down.

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:15 PM
For the first time I did a ton of research in filling out my bracket this year. I came up with a final four of: UNC, Notre Dame, Tenn and UCLA. With ND over Tenn in the championship. Mark it down.

A ton of research? I'd say you're screwed then.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
FTR, Reggie Hanson is an assistant at USF now.

It appears that Scott Rigot and David Hobbs did not find new gigs.

WMR
That staff sucked. But he didn't want to be forced to cut those guys loose. I don't blame him.

Doesn't seem like a good coach would hold on to a sucky staff for how many years exactly?

So he was content to continue on his path towards mediocrity?

You're starting to make me dislike him again.

Razor Shines
A ton of research? I'd say you're screwed then.

Nope. I paid $29.95 to Brandon Link for the answers.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Doesn't seem like a good coach would hold on to a sucky staff for how many years exactly?

So he was content to continue on his path towards mediocrity?

You're starting to make me dislike him again.

Once again, though... those guys had been there through some of the good times, too.

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Once again, though... those guys had been there through some of the good times, too.

:lol: C'mon, dab, this is Kentucky. You're either on your way up--or staying on top--or you're on your way out. You know that.

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Nope. I paid $29.95 to Brandon Link for the answers.

How well did they predict last year?

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I think Dab and WMR need to hold hands and sing Rocky Top at the top of their lungs. A little bonding is in order here.

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I think Dab and WMR need to hold hands and sing Rocky Top at the top of their lungs. A little bonding is in order here.

If we do that, and I lose control of my upchuck reflex, I'm puking directly on YOU, BRM.

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
If we do that, and I lose control of my upchuck reflex, I'm puking directly on YOU, BRM.

:laugh:

I thought that song was your ring tone?

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:25 PM
:laugh:

I thought that song was your ring tone?

That song is the soundtrack to my nightmares.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:26 PM

That would be bondage, not bonding.

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Aren't you married to a UT grad?

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Hahahahahaha.

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I have an important question. If Pearl were to take the IU job, would he wear a Crimson sport coat every time they played Purdue?

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Aren't you married to a UT grad?

And I work with a UT fan. Glutton for punishment I am.

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:33 PM
And I work with a UT fan. Glutton for punishment I am.

Sweet. You are a lucky man to be surrounded by so much class.

dabvu2498
I have an important question. If Pearl were to take the IU job, would he wear a Crimson sport coat every time they played Purdue?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/magazine/12/28/knight.flashback/p1_knight.jpg

Why not?

BRM
Bobby wore that all the time back in the day. Right after he unloaded the plaid one.

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I bet he would wear it versus UK as well.

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
I bet he would wear it versus UK as well.

Probably. I'd rather he switched to a candy cane style, crimson and cream coat for Kentucky.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Bobby wore that all the time back in the day. Right after he unloaded the plaid one.

Him and Wimp Sanderson.

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Probably. I'd rather he switched to a candy cane style, crimson and cream coat for Kentucky.

As much of a clown as he is, he should get a suit patterned completely like the IU warm-up pants.

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:37 PM
You guys know why Pearl does that, right?

Tribute to Ray Mears, who used to wear one against UK and Vandy also.

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:38 PM
What was Ray Mears career record vs. UK? I wonder if bigbluehistory has that stat?

BRM
03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
As much of a clown as he is, he should get a suit patterned completely like the IU warm-up pants.

That's exactly what I was thinking on the color of the jacket. I disagree on the clown part.

WMR
03-19-2008, 04:42 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking on the color of the jacket. I disagree on the clown part.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/368530367_07184a5ddd_o.jpg

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
What was Ray Mears career record vs. UK? I wonder if bigbluehistory has that stat?

15-15.

5-1 with Bernard King.

Roy Tucker
03-19-2008, 04:55 PM
15-15.

5-1 with Bernard King.

The Ernie and Bernie Show.

cincy jacket
03-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Intersting turn of events. After Jay Bilas spent 2 months saying there was no way UK would make the tournament who ends up broadcasting their first round game? Dick Enberg and Jay Bilas. I personally was hoping for Gus Johnson who single handly makes the tournament just that much more special. I think this should be a good game. If Meeks is available, heard on Lance's show today he might play, I think UK pulls out a close one.

WMR
03-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Billy Gillispie gave a nice little interview on Jim Rome today...

http://www.audioacrobat.com/play/WMrXZPvP

dabvu2498
03-20-2008, 10:56 AM
http://ncaasports.com/mmod/welcome is allowing people into line. I'm in the 29,000s. If you don't have a VIP pass, you'd be in the 45,000s.

Get in line if you want to see tip off.

BRM
03-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks Dab. I'm in the 39,000s. I'm confident the video will get blocked by our server but it's worth a shot.

dabvu2498
03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
My guy has a great Midwest Regional preview on his site:

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Midwest Region Preview

Georgetown and Villanova highlight the Midwest Region's Big East participants this year. There are a bunch of other teams in this bracket, from a variety of conferences including the Big XII and the West Coast Conference. But none of that really matters, does it? This region is about two things.

Two things this region is about: Beasley & Mayo. Mayo & Beasley. Put them in any order you wish to, as long as you put Beasley first, because he's better. That's not to take anything away from Mayo, because he's an excellent player as well and stands as the only player in major college basketball who's name represents both Orange Juice and Mayonnaise. But, Beasley's better, and Kansas State should win despite their athletic department having never found a replacement for departed coach Bob Huggins.

The Big Ten is terrible: How else do you explain Wisconsin as a three seed? They're 29-4, have two losses away from home, and dominated the Big Ten. Normally that translates to a 1 seed. This year, that translates to purgatory in Omaha while nobody in the building knows that anybody besides Michael Beasley and O.J. Mayo are present.

Teams in the Midwest Region: Michael Beasley, O.J. Mayo, and Clemson

Teams that can win the Midwest Region: Michael Beasley, O.J. Mayo, and Clemson

Teams that are better than Clemson: Michael Beasley

Predicted Final Four Representative: Michael Beasley

Early Upset: We're going out on a limb here, against popular opinion, and picking Siena to beat Vanderbilt. Did you know that Siena beat Stanford earlier in the year?

Picture of Biff Tannen and Michael Beasley:

http://media.wsbt.com/images/Kansas_St_Notre_Dame%20harangody%20beasley.JPG

http://ordoreographology.blogspot.com/

dabvu2498
03-20-2008, 11:17 AM
In other NCAA hoops news, Arkansas State hired former LSU head coach John Brady to replace Dickey Nutt.

dabvu2498
03-20-2008, 11:55 AM
The rooms are now open.

BRM
03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
The rooms are now open.

I'm in! I really hope it's not blocked once the games begin.