PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Rules

Superdude
03-16-2008, 07:26 PM
What has to happen in order for a season to count towards the whole free agency clock? Is it based on the date you were called up or how much playing time you got? Did last season count for Bailey? If so, does spending the next year in the minors change anything? I really don't understand this whole process so any help would be nice.

blumj
03-16-2008, 07:53 PM
What has to happen in order for a season to count towards the whole free agency clock? Is it based on the date you were called up or how much playing time you got? Did last season count for Bailey? If so, does spending the next year in the minors change anything? I really don't understand this whole process so any help would be nice.
It's based on service time, how many days the player is actually on a 25 man roster. So, the days Bailey was on the major league roster count towards his service time, the days he spends in the minors, past and future, do not.
A player needs to complete 3 years of service time to become arbitration eligible, and 6 years of service time to reach free agency.

Superdude
03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks.

blumj
03-16-2008, 10:01 PM
You're welcome. I always wonder why there isn't a site just to look up mlb rules. And it always amazes me how little media people seem to know. Or, they just don't realize that fans care.