PDA

View Full Version : 40 Man roster decisions

Chip R
03-17-2008, 11:46 AM
It looks like the Reds are going to have some 40 man roster decisions to make since it looks like Cueto's a cinch to make the team, Ross' injury opens up a spot for Bako and Patterson's probably going to make the team too. Could be that Cappelan will stick too. I know in a perfect world, guys like Stanton and Castro would get cut but we all know they are more than likely going to make the roster. So, who's going to get dropped off for these guys?

princeton
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
It looks like the Reds are going to have some 40 man roster decisions to make since it looks like Cueto's a cinch to make the team, Ross' injury opens up a spot for Bako and Patterson's probably going to make the team too. Could be that Cappelan will stick too. I know in a perfect world, guys like Stanton and Castro would get cut but we all know they are more than likely going to make the roster. So, who's going to get dropped off for these guys?

I don't think that these are tough decisions yet, because Reds are carrying guys that didn't show up this spring like Richie Gardner, Gary Majewski, Ramon Ramirez, Paul Janish. Drew Anderson's no biggie.

these things will get tougher next year and the one after that, when a baby boom happens for Reds.

Capellan is already on 40, BTW. He took Valenzuela's spot.

flyer85
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I would take Hanigan over Bako. Bako is an awful hitter ... always has been. In addition he bats LH which is Javy's best side. It makes no sense to match up Javy/Bako as tandem.

If you want to know how bad Bako can be his line from last year with Baltimore .213/.293/.265 Yes a ~560 OPS in 174 PAs. His defense graded below average as well ... which is not an issue with Hanigan. This is another one of these worthless vets versus a younger guy issue. PECOTA sees Bako with a -3.8 VORP and Hanigan with a 5.7

redsmetz
03-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't think that these are tough decisions yet, because Reds are carrying guys that didn't show up this spring like Richie Gardner, Gary Majewski, Ramon Ramirez, Paul Janish. Drew Anderson's no biggie.

these things will get tougher next year and the one after that, when a baby boom happens for Reds.

Capellan is already on 40, BTW. He took Valenzuela's spot.

Unless, Ross goes on the 60 day DL, that's not a spot to be had. It's also possible they DFA someone like Hanigan and see if he clears waivers and accepts assignment to the minors.

Then again, I would assume we'll see a trade or two before that time, particularly if room is necessary for not just Cueto, but also Bruce.

Joseph
03-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Wouldn't Ross' injury only open a 40 man spot if he's moved to the 60 day DL?

A Freel deal will open a spot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an arm or two dealt.

chicoruiz
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd drop Majeski, Capellan and Anderson, then Gardner if I needed another spot. There now, that was easy...

flyer85
03-17-2008, 12:01 PM
if Bako is on the 25 man roster he'll quickly have fans wishing for a healthy Ross.

Chip R
03-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't Ross' injury only open a 40 man spot if he's moved to the 60 day DL?

A Freel deal will open a spot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an arm or two dealt.

Only if he goes on the 60 day DL. I don't think that's an option right now though. Gonzo's due to be reexamined sometime within the week. He may be a candidate for the 60 day DL depending on how his bone has healed.

NC Reds
03-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Janish played exceptional defense this spring (as usual). I think he takes Castro's roster spot at some point in the season.

There is enough pitching fodder to cut loose that I don't see a roster problem yet.

MartyFan
03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
if Bako is on the 25 man roster he'll quickly have fans wishing for a healthy Ross.

LOL!!!

I AGREE..

Kc61
03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I would take Hanigan over Bako. Bako is an awful hitter ... always has been. In addition he bats LH which is Javy's best side. It makes no sense to match up Javy/Bako as tandem.

If you want to know how bad Bako can be his line from last year with Baltimore .213/.293/.265 Yes a ~560 OPS in 174 PAs. His defense graded below average as well ... which is not an issue with Hanigan. This is another one of these worthless vets versus a younger guy issue. PECOTA sees Bako with a -3.8 VORP and Hanigan with a 5.7

I'd be shocked if Hanigan makes the Reds over Bako.

Team Clark
03-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Maybe they can bring Mark Stefanski out of retirement?

I am a big Vance Wilson fan. I'd take him in a backup role. His wife is from Cincinnati too.

Wiki Gonzalez is a very good defensive catcher but I think he may have hung 'em up.

Ryan Doumit might be another option. I'd have to get a report on his health first.

OnBaseMachine
03-17-2008, 02:02 PM
I would love to have Ryan Doumit. I wonder what it would take to get him from Pittsburgh?

Falls City Beer
03-17-2008, 02:03 PM

I suspect catching will be addressed. But I don't like it being addressed at the last minute.

Falls City Beer
03-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Damon Berryhill

Team Clark
03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I would love to have Ryan Doumit. I wonder what it would take to get him from Pittsburgh?

Good question. I'm sure we have SOMETHING the Pirates would want. :D

Doumit might have options left which could come in handy with the 3 catcher rotating circus.

Team Clark
03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Damon Berryhill

He has a nice website. Pretty damn good instructor too!