PDA

View Full Version : Mario Soto for assistant pitching coach

red-in-la
03-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I was watching the game today and I saw Cueto sitting next to Soto. As it appears, the Reds 2008 season is riding on Messers Cueto and Volquez. Doesn't that make it worth asking Soto to ride around with the Reds for all 162 games?

I just wonder if anyone has heard anything like this thrown around down in Sarasota. Does the Reds brass have enough imagination to think of it on their own or should we send an email to WK?

Joseph
03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I think he decided last season that he couldn't do it after filling in for a while in Louisville.

dougdirt
03-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I think he decided last season that he couldn't do it after filling in for a while in Louisville.

Right. He has duties in Latin America to take care of and helps run the academy down there.

fearofpopvol1
03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
No. I think it makes more sense for him to work with the younger players than it does with the Reds.

*BaseClogger*
03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
then I wouldn't be able to get a chuckle everytime the anouncer says "Dick Pole"...

CTA513
03-17-2008, 10:03 PM
then I wouldn't be able to get a chuckle everytime the anouncer says "Dick Pole"...

:thumbup:

StillFunkyB
03-17-2008, 10:22 PM

You said chuckle....

:D :cool:

Team Clark
03-17-2008, 11:06 PM
He has business interests in the Dominican. Last year his wife, for various reasons, forbade him to stay in Louisville any longer than he already had.

red-in-la
03-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Well, the man's gotta do what the man's gotta do.....but he could help a great deal.

dougdirt
03-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Well, the man's gotta do what the man's gotta do.....but he could help a great deal.

I am sure he does help a great deal already. I am sure he works with those kids down in the Dominican during the season at times, he comes up here at times during the season as well.

Topcat
03-18-2008, 04:21 AM
His Job in the D R is vital to long term interests for our Reds.

icehole3
03-18-2008, 04:21 AM
better to have him on call than not at all, happy wife = happy life

Joseph
03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I saw him at the Millenium Hotel two seasons ago when he was Marshall of the OD parade [at least I think he was marshall lol]....the wife says he dressed too much like a pretty boy to be a good pitcher.

My wifes good to me, so I let that slide.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I was watching the game today and I saw Cueto sitting next to Soto. As it appears, the Reds 2008 season is riding on Messers Cueto and Volquez. Doesn't that make it worth asking Soto to ride around with the Reds for all 162 games?

I just wonder if anyone has heard anything like this thrown around down in Sarasota. Does the Reds brass have enough imagination to think of it on their own or should we send an email to WK?

I saw that too and immediately compared Cueto's willingness to listen and learn from Mario Soto and Homer Bailey's reported stubborn attitude problems that I most recently read in a quote from Buster Olney saying (I'm paraphrasing here) Bailey thinks he already knows everything. Sadly, if Bailey doesn't get an attitude adjustment I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him dealt away at the trade deadline this year.

But I digress. Hopefully one day, one year, Mario Soto can get his current obligations squared away and become the awesome pitching coach for the Reds which obviously would further enhance the pitching of Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, et al.

OnBaseMachine
03-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I saw that too and immediately compared Cueto's willingness to listen and learn from Mario Soto and Homer Bailey's reported stubborn attitude problems that I most recently read in a quote from Buster Olney saying (I'm paraphrasing here) Bailey thinks he already knows everything. Sadly, if Bailey doesn't get an attitude adjustment I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him dealt away at the trade deadline this year.

"I told Homer (Bailey) to go to talk to Mario (Soto) during the game because (Dick Pole's) busy during the game. I saw him down there all game. I like that. It's like going to school," Baker said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080315/SPT04/803150403/1071/SPT

Vada Pinson Fan
03-18-2008, 01:56 PM
"I told Homer (Bailey) to go to talk to Mario (Soto) during the game because (Dick Pole's) busy during the game. I saw him down there all game. I like that. It's like going to school," Baker said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080315/SPT04/803150403/1071/SPT

I didn't say Homer was stupid. Bailey, I'm sure, either reads the papers or hears it from reporters that there is a perceived attitude problem on his part... So of course he is going to be the "good soldier" and sit next to Soto. Problem remains, will he do anything with what Soto tells him?