PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - CB Radio Advice

gonelong
03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
OK, I drive roughly 70 miles round trip a day, about 60 of that on I-75 and/or I-70. Given the construction in the area I have considered getting a CB Radio so that I have some idea of what is going on if an accident has occured. I know the area well enough to get off on about any exit and make my way home.

I don't really want to mount a CB if I can get away with anything else. Does anyone have any recommendations about handhelds that might suffice for what I am interested in, or another option?

GL

Ltlabner
03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
My experience has been handhelds tend to not work very well without an externally mounted antenna. Without one (ie just using the one on the unit) you'd be lucky to pick up anything beyond a mile, if that. I had a Cobra handheld that was ok a long time ago.

You can get a decent magnetic mount antenna (The Lil Wil is only $40) so the antenna can be removed easily when needed. Run the coax into the vechile and then you can hook up the hand held unit as needed. The antena is a little taller than I'd like but it isn't some massive unit that looks hideous.

I use one (lil will) with a piece of crap Cobra mounted unit and easily pick up transmissions from 5 to 6 miles out and send up to 2 miles.

Maybe start with the hand held and then add an external antenna if you aren't happy with the results.

WebScorpion
03-19-2008, 02:20 PM
My father always had a magnetic mount antenna and the CB was on a slide mount...he put a slide mount in his truck at work and both family cars, then he only used one CB in whichever vehicle he was driving. Oh yeah, his truck had its own antenna, so the magnetic one was always in/on one of the family cars. Shake the trees and rake the leaves! 10-4? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/alien2.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

gonelong
03-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys, a magnetic antenna and a handheld might be the way to go for me.

GL

SunDeck
03-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Trying....not....to....make....joke....about....Sm okey....and....the....Bear.....

westofyou
03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
I have a friend who went into trucking because of the song Convoy, Pedro's 2nd grade class sang the same song at the Christmas Pageant.

Classy...

pedro
03-19-2008, 06:16 PM
True story.

My buddy used to be an insurance salesman in Atlanta who often had to travel though deep Mississippi and Alabama on business so he thought it be cool to get a CB. So he gets the CB and starts listening in to the truckers and what does he here but a couple of truckers discussing whether or not they should run that faggot from Atlanta off the road.

OldRightHander
03-20-2008, 01:58 AM
True story.

My buddy used to be an insurance salesman in Atlanta who often had to travel though deep Mississippi and Alabama on business so he thought it be cool to get a CB. So he gets the CB and starts listening in to the truckers and what does he here but a couple of truckers discussing whether or not they should run that faggot from Atlanta off the road.

The sad thing about a lot of the CB talk is that most of the decent drivers are staying off the CB most of the time. I don't even own one and I know a lot of drivers who have one but don't use it anymore because of the type of talk on there. I'd rather listen to XM anyway.

Driver62
03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
I have a Cobra handheld with an antenna that slips over the passenger side window. Just roll the window down a little, slip the antenna over it and roll it back up.

Whatever you get, don't buy it at a truckstop. They are way over priced there. I know as I'm a retired truck driver.