PDA

View Full Version : Reds actively looking for a catcher

Will M
03-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I caught this on Lance's show driving home. He said that he had talk to Marty and word around the league is that the Reds are actively looking for a catcher.

IMO this is good news.
Ross is a good backup catcher when healthy.
Javy is a 3rd catcher/pinch hitter.
Bako is good to ease the load off Ross & Javy in spring training but should never get an at bat in a Reds uniform once the season starts.

cincyinco
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
In the game thread, its reported Marty said the Reds were targeting Gerald Laird from Tex.

Not a bad target, thats for sure. His bat is intriquing, and he's solid defensively.

I know many would clamor for Teagarden around here.

Jeff Clement from Seattle could be that rare LH power hitting catcher, but he may not stick at C down the line.

Mathis or Napoli from LAA.

Wilson Ramos from the twins? He's too far off..

Who else could the Reds target? Someone from the A's?

MartyFan
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Deleted the post because of the one before me...thanks

Joseph
03-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Freel for a catcher? Belisle?

BRM
03-18-2008, 04:55 PM
From Fay regarding this rumor.

I think the Reds would move Ryan Freel in a second to get catching help. The problem is Freel is owed $7 million over the next two years. Freel has been playing some infield, i.e, the Reds maybe showcasing him as utility guy.

princeton
03-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I catch eh

--Joey Votto

westofyou
03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
the Reds maybe showcasing him as utility guy.

John Fay beat writer?

has he not picked up that that is already Freel's greatest asset?

RYAN FREEL

SECOND BASE
YEAR TEAM AGE G PO A E DP PCT RANGE
2001 Blue Jays 25 7 11 20 1 4 .969 4.43
2003 Reds 27 11 14 20 1 2 .971 3.09
2004 Reds 28 15 25 23 0 4 1.000 3.20
2005 Reds 29 48 91 127 6 24 .973 4.54
2006 Reds 30 13 23 25 1 2 .980 3.69
2007 Reds 31 2 3 3 0 1 1.000 3.00
TOTALS 96 167 218 9 37 .977 4.01

THIRD BASE
2003 Reds 27 2 0 2 0 2 1.000 1.00
2004 Reds 28 56 42 107 12 11 .925 2.66
2005 Reds 29 10 5 25 2 1 .938 3.00
2006 Reds 30 13 7 25 0 2 1.000 2.46
2007 Reds 31 19 17 29 2 3 .958 2.42
TOTALS 100 71 188 16 19 .942 2.59

OUTFIELDER
2001 Blue Jays 25 1 0 0 0 0 0.00
2003 Reds 27 24 58 2 0 0 1.000 2.50
2004 Reds 28 89 184 8 3 1 .985 2.16
2005 Reds 29 51 109 7 0 0 1.000 2.27
2006 Reds 30 105 238 12 5 1 .980 2.38
2007 Reds 31 60 136 3 2 0 .986 2.32
TOTALS 330 725 32 10 2 .987 2.29

lollipopcurve
03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
The Reds may need to overpay a bit here -- it's pretty clear they're over a barrel.

BRM
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Here is the MLBTradeRumors take:

John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer is hearing a rumor that the Reds are "actively seeking a catcher." He speculates that Ryan Freel could be trade bait.

Fay's note conveniently gels with some info from a Jeff Brantley radio appearance that a reader passed along. Brantley reportedly said the Reds have been scouting the Rangers' Gerald Laird. On a not necessarily related note, Brantley also mentioned that they may look to trade Matt Belisle.

MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan recently wrote that the Rangers don't intend to trade Laird despite some interest. On the other hand, Jon Daniels admitted in Sullivan's article that he wouldn't turn a deaf ear to anything. Laird is set to be the Rangers' starting catcher this year. Jarrod Saltalamacchia would take on a smaller role or try Triple A.

The Reds could also consider trying to acquire San Diego's Michael Barrett, who has played under Dusty Baker with the Cubs. Bengie Molina and Ramon Hernandez may also be available.
(http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2008/03/rumors-mill.asp)

Highlifeman21
03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Michael Barrett would be an interesting choice.

He has history with Dusty, would benefit more from 1/2 season in GABP than 1/2 in that Yellowstone Park called Petco, and is certainly better than anything we have currently in-house or in the organization.

With the Padres seemingly unhappy with the health and potential lack of production of Jim Edmonds, Ryan Freel might be the best fit for them.

I'm not sure what else we could send to the Padres along with Freel, along with my token suggestions of Wood and Stubbs.

Falls City Beer
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Michael Barrett's less athletic behind the dish than Ross. No thanks.

Falls City Beer
03-18-2008, 05:42 PM
The Reds may need to overpay a bit here -- it's pretty clear they're over a barrel.

To me it's astounding that they've waited this long. I've been honking this horn for goodness knows how long.

Sabo Fan
03-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Mentioned this in another thread when it was discussed earlier: Ryan Doumit of the Pirates. Affordable, young, likely only viewed as a platoon guy in Pittsburgh, and seems like he's pretty fair offensively. Plus the Pirates have never been a team to shy away from making a bad deal.

*BaseClogger*
03-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I'll take Ramon Hernandez

chicoruiz
03-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Hernandez would be OK, but what the O's really need is a SS, and we don't really have one to give (Andy MacPhail isn't dumb enough to go for Castro). I'd offer them Coffey and LeCure and see if they bite.

Laird hit well as a backup, but his .224/.278/.349 line as a starter last year makes me want to run back into the arms of David Ross.

Call me crazy, but I'd give Old Leatherpants a call and inquire about Flores. He's a player on the rise, and the Nats have LoDuca and could use an arm or two from us.

Blitz Dorsey
03-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I'll take Ramon Hernandez

That's what I was thinking. Course, the O's might ask for Jay Bruce in return ;-)

fearofpopvol1
03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Hernandez would be OK, but what the O's really need is a SS, and we don't really have one to give (Andy MacPhail isn't dumb enough to go for Castro). I'd offer them Coffey and LeCure and see if they bite.

Laird hit well as a backup, but his .224/.278/.349 line as a starter last year makes me want to run back into the arms of David Ross.

Call me crazy, but I'd give Old Leatherpants a call and inquire about Flores. He's a player on the rise, and the Nats have LoDuca and could use an arm or two from us.

Do we even have any former Reds not named Dunn here left from his tenure (other than KGJ who would for sure turn down a trade)?

harangatang
03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Jason Kendall? :evil:

Gainesville Red
03-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Is Molina one of the guys San Fran's trying to unload?

mth123
03-18-2008, 08:51 PM
The Blue Jays have Greg Zaun, Sal Fasano and Rod Barajas with J.P Arencibia the likely catcher of the future in the minors. This leave Curtis Thigpen as the odd man out. Thigpen can hit a little (not much power though) and is athletic enough to play other positions. He probably could be had for a minor leaguer with bullpen potential down he road. He may not be a guy that is a full-time catcher long-term, but could be a decent RH Bat to share time with Javy. I like the idea of a multi-position utility guy that can add catcher to his list of positions. As a catcher, he needs to improve his footwork. I wonder if Johnny Bench could do for him what Mario Soto seems to be doing for some of the pitchers.

I prefer Ramon Hernandez though, if he could be had and afforded. I'd give 'em Maloney and try to deal Stanton and Freel separately for prospects to make the salary room.

11larkin11
03-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Why exactly are we searching for catchers? Ross guns down runners like crazy, and is pretty good all around defensively. We dont need anymore offense, we need someone to control the pitching staff, and that is what Ross does. Now, if Ross is going to be out for an extended period of time, then I can see it.

Reds Nd2
03-18-2008, 09:16 PM
In the game thread, its reported Marty said the Reds were targeting Gerald Laird from Tex.

Yea', Marty said he had heard from sources outside the Reds organization that the team was targeting Laird. Unless the Rangers are willing to go into the season with Adam Melhuse as their regular catcher, that deal isn't going to happen.
Saltalamacchia, never known for his defense behind the plate, is having a rough spring with the stick as well.

Spitball
03-18-2008, 10:45 PM
I watch lots of Ranger games and am not real impressed with Laird, particularly his approach at the plate. I don't see him as a significant upgrade from Ross.

Joseph
03-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Eddie Taubensee is a significant upgrade from what we have at this point.

Ok, thats stretching it, but we've got a big ol' heaping pile o' junk back there right now. That includes Ross when healthy. He had one decent year with the stick, he's not the answer.

*BaseClogger*
03-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I've got no problems with David Ross's glove or stick... just his back...

OnBaseMachine
03-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Eddie Taubensee is a significant upgrade from what we have at this point.

Ok, thats stretching it, but we've got a big ol' heaping pile o' junk back there right now. That includes Ross when healthy. He had one decent year with the stick, he's not the answer.

Eddie Taubensee...I loved that guy. He was one of the nicest guys to ever put on a Reds uniform. I remember one time during the 1999 season when he stayed after the game for about two hours and just signed autographs and talked with the fans in the players parking garage in Cinergy. He would always sign for the fans. Heck of a guy. He couldn't field a lick but boy could he hit.

He had a few big seasons with the bat in Cincy.

Min. 240 PA in a season:

1995 - .284/.354/.491
1996 - .291/.338/.462
1997 - .268/.323/.457
1998 - .278/.352/.418
1999 - .311/.354/.521

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Eddie-Taubensee.shtml

M2
03-18-2008, 11:31 PM
31-year-old catcher with a bad back coming off a .203/.271/.399 season. That's why the Reds are looking for a catcher. If people are happy with that then why not trade for someone else as you'll surely be happy with that too.

I'll toss Chris Iannetta into the mix. He's young. He's hit very well in the minors. He plays defense. Plus, the Rocks seem committed to Yorvit Torrealba.

OnBaseMachine
03-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Here's a list of catchers I would target in order of preference:

Jeff Clement
Chris Iannetta
Ryan Doumit
Jeff Mathis
Gerald Laird

For Clement I'd imagine the Reds would have to part with Jeff Clement. I would probably do that if the Reds could land another prospect in return. I wouldn't trade Bailey for Iannetta but I would offer up a package of Matt Maloney + Matt Belisle/Chris Valaika for him.

Doumit would probably cost us Maloney + a prospect like Dorn maybe.

Mathis and Laird could probably be had for Belisle.

M2
03-18-2008, 11:40 PM
The Rockies need a 2B. Whether Freel or Keppinger would fill the bill I don't know.

pedro
03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
The Rockies need a 2B. Whether Freel or Keppinger would fill the bill I don't know.

If I was the Reds I'd be hesitant to trade Keppinger as thin as they are at SS in the organization. Unless, of course, they really think Rosales can hack it there defensively.

redsfan4445
03-18-2008, 11:55 PM
to bad Piazza is too old :(

SteelSD
03-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Here's a list of catchers I would target in order of preference:

Jeff Clement
Chris Iannetta
Ryan Doumit
Jeff Mathis
Gerald Laird

For Clement I'd imagine the Reds would have to part with Jeff Clement. I would probably do that if the Reds could land another prospect in return. I wouldn't trade Bailey for Iannetta but I would offer up a package of Matt Maloney + Matt Belisle/Chris Valaika for him.

Doumit would probably cost us Maloney + a prospect like Dorn maybe.

Mathis and Laird could probably be had for Belisle.

Doumit really interests me. His offensive game profiles well for a Catcher. My concerns are that his defensive game may not profile as well. Secondly, he's been a bit injury-prone over the past couple years. Two hamstring issues (both left hammy- 2006, 2007), a sprained left wrist (2007), and a right high ankle sprain (2007) caused him to miss significant time. We'll excuse the head injury caused by Ryan Freel's swing on May 27th, 2007. After all, Freel is a force of nature like that.

I'd target Doumit but I'd certainly use the injury issues to try to downgrade Doumit's value. Do I think he's worth Maloney and Dorn? Yeah. I'd do that. But I'd also try to grab him for less.

I also really like Jeff Clement, but I'd suggest that his standing as a prospect would likely require a larger investment than other options.

KronoRed
03-19-2008, 12:36 AM
to bad Piazza is too old :(

and an awful catcher.

Jpup
03-19-2008, 01:20 AM
I think the Reds have to have another catcher. I'm not sure they have any other choice than to make a trade. Bako might be ok as a backup, but not someone that is playing everyday or even 4 days a week. Valentin is horrid behind the dish.

We had a thread last week and I think most people tend to think Texas is the direction to look. The Reds are probably not going to go after a young guy since they have so many young pitchers. I think that's something to keep in mind.

*BaseClogger*
03-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Bengie Molina is making more and more sense...

Jpup
03-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Bengie Molina is making more and more sense...

talk about a base clogger. ;)

mth123
03-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Anyone like Shawn Riggans of Tampa Bay? The Rays have Navarro, Defelice and Paul, so Riggans seems like a guy who could be expendable. In his 2005 through 2007 seasons in AA and AAA, Riggans has posted OPS numbers of .819, .785 and .804 respectively. He is 27 and had elbow problems in 2007. I'm not up on Riggans' defensive abilities, but he is a RH bat that could at least split time with Javy. Earlier there was talk of TB looking for OF help with Baldelli out and the others like Gomes and Floyd having their own durability issues while being questionable in the field. I have doubts that TB would take on Freel's salary, but they may be interested in Hopper and an excess reliever like say Coffey or McBeth. (I actually prefer that the Reds keep Freel and deal Hopper and some of the bullpen glut. The time to get value for Freel was last Spring with Hamilton coming and the market craving lead-off CF types. Now I think he is more valuable on the Red's bench than anything he could pull in.)

I like John Jaso better as far as young TB catchers are concerned, but he probably won't be ready to help much in 2008.

klw
03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Wasn't Mirabelli released by the Red Sox last week? His bat is awful but if the Red Sox start slow they will send the state police and overpay to get him back in a month.
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080313&content_id=2423992&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Ltlabner
03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Plus, the Rocks seem committed to Yorvit Torrealba.

Well sure.

His name is "Yorvit" afterall.

lollipopcurve
03-19-2008, 08:44 AM
I prefer an established guy like Laird or Molina who can handle the young pitchers well and hit a little bit. Kids with defensive question marks like Doumit and Iannetta might drag on the development of Cueto and Volquez, in my opinion.

princeton
03-19-2008, 08:55 AM
I prefer an established guy like Laird or Molina who can handle the young pitchers well and hit a little bit. Kids with defensive question marks like Doumit and Iannetta might drag on the development of Cueto and Volquez, in my opinion.

I figure that's why Bako is here, and in turn the reason for talk of three catchers. Bilingual catcher who's good with kids would be optimal in minds of the Reds, where developing pitchers is the name of the game.

Krivsky: It's the cheap pitching, stupid.

Krusty
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
According to MLB radio and listening to Buck Martinez this morning, he thinks the Reds acquiring Laird from Texas would be a good move. Reds have a surplus of lefthanded relievers and the Rangers might be looking at Bray, Coutlangus and Saurebeck.

remdog
03-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Send them Sauerbeck. PLEASE! ;)

Rem

RedlegJake
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I gotta believe Texas wants more than Sauerbeck or Coutlangus or Bray for Laird. If I'm Texas I'd be asking for Bailey and then (when the Reds say NO) asking what else was needed to make that work.

Benihana
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
According to MLB radio and listening to Buck Martinez this morning, he thinks the Reds acquiring Laird from Texas would be a good move. Reds have a surplus of lefthanded relievers and the Rangers might be looking at Bray, Coutlangus and Saurebeck.

Keep Bray unless you're getting Teagarden, send the others. Gerald Laird barely OPSed over .600 last year, in his first full season. I'd offer Coutlangous, Sauerback and/or Stanton, maybe with a C prospect, but that's about it.

I'm generally against trading Homer Bailey right now, as I'd like to see him improve himself in AAA, but how about Homer Bailey for Saltalamacchia? Homer goes back home to Texas and the Reds get their catcher for the next decade. Meanwhile, Texas gets their pitching boost and Laird keeps the plate warm until Teagarden is ready.

Texas does have a history of moving prospects they acquired just before they're ready to bloom, like Adrian Gonzalez for instance. They have also traded away future stars like Carlos Pena, Chris Young, (and hopefully Edinson Volquez.)

REDREAD
03-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Just wondering.. Would anyone trade Belisle for any of the catchers that's likely to be available?

I know there will be hestitancy, but if Volquez and Ceuto are going into the rotation and the Reds are confident they will stick there, now is probably a prime time to trade Belisle.
He's cheap, reasonably young and enough of a mystery to intrigue some people.. OF course, that's the same reason why many people here wouldn't want to trade him, and want him slotted as #3 (Not mocking anyone, just making an observation, it's certainly a defensible position).

I guess I see Belisle as a guy who is going to be a long man at best. Now might be a good time to cash him in. After 2008, he's going to get more expensive, and I'm guessing he will not improve enough to keep his market value. I doubt he'll stink it up, but I see him as being a decent longman/swing guy/borderline #5.. I guess I don't consider Belisle someone that you go out of your way to keep as a building block, especially since we aren't sure when the Reds are actually going to "go for it".

So, I'm saying I would have no problem trading Belisle for the right young catcher. Not necessarily a future superstar, but someone that could competently hold the position.. I guess someone who is average or projects to be average in a year or two. I'm not familiar with who is available though.

WebScorpion
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I'll toss Chris Iannetta into the mix. He's young. He's hit very well in the minors. He plays defense. Plus, the Rocks seem committed to Yorvit Torrealba.

I'd personally take any of the three young catchers the Rockies are hoarding. Torrealba, Iannetta, or Bellorin.

My problem with Clement is he's a lefty...we are already lefty heavy. Which is what brings me to Bellorin... although he's unproven at the ML level, he crushes left-handed pitching. He's also Venezuelan, which might mesh well with our young Dominican pitchers. :thumbup: Leave no stone unturned.

Benihana
03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Just wondering.. Would anyone trade Belisle for any of the catchers that's likely to be available?

I know there will be hestitancy, but if Volquez and Ceuto are going into the rotation and the Reds are confident they will stick there, now is probably a prime time to trade Belisle.
He's cheap, reasonably young and enough of a mystery to intrigue some people.. OF course, that's the same reason why many people here wouldn't want to trade him, and want him slotted as #3 (Not mocking anyone, just making an observation, it's certainly a defensible position).

I guess I see Belisle as a guy who is going to be a long man at best. Now might be a good time to cash him in. After 2008, he's going to get more expensive, and I'm guessing he will not improve enough to keep his market value. I doubt he'll stink it up, but I see him as being a decent longman/swing guy/borderline #5.. I guess I don't consider Belisle someone that you go out of your way to keep as a building block, especially since we aren't sure when the Reds are actually going to "go for it".

So, I'm saying I would have no problem trading Belisle for the right young catcher. Not necessarily a future superstar, but someone that could competently hold the position.. I guess someone who is average or projects to be average in a year or two. I'm not familiar with who is available though.

We've talked on here about trading Belisle for Teagarden, and IIRC most people were definitely open to the idea. Makes sense for both sides.

REDREAD
03-19-2008, 10:47 AM

That's interesting. Countlangus' star seemed to fall in Wayne's eyes last year. I could see him getting moved out in a trade.

Bray is still hurt, so I think the Reds should hold him in AAA and try to give him another year to get healthy and improve. Obviously, the Reds should let him rest as much as he needs to, instead of prematurally activating him as they did with Maj when he was hurt. (and they've done with other players, IMO).

IslandRed
03-19-2008, 11:09 AM

I can see the hesitancy. Fogg would be the #5 (probably is anyway), the Affeldt experiment didn't work and Bailey desperately needs more time in AAA in most people's opinions. So if there's a short-circuit with any of the five starters, particularly the younger ones, with Belisle gone there's no clear-cut next-in-line who could be counted on to step in and get the job done.

Of course, I can also see that if we can sufficiently upgrade the catcher position, that's a risk we'd be willing to take.

RedlegJake
03-19-2008, 11:10 AM
At least one Texas fan thinks big and is delusional -

Texas fan: Who else would want him?
I know Boston and the Mets are possible trade targets. I have trouble seeing Boston giving us Crisp, since Laird would just be their backup. Seems more likely that a team wanting him for a starter would pony up more for him. I guess from this, both the Marlins and Rockies would be interested if they lose out on Torrealba.

As for other teams, would Cincinnati be a fit? They are low-budget and if I'm not mistaken, have had fits at the catcher position for a while now. Maybe work out a deal for Dunn starting with Laird

http://www.lonestarball.com/story/2007/11/14/13718/993

Jpup
03-19-2008, 11:13 AM
At least one Texas fan thinks big and is delusional -

Texas fan: Who else would want him?
I know Boston and the Mets are possible trade targets. I have trouble seeing Boston giving us Crisp, since Laird would just be their backup. Seems more likely that a team wanting him for a starter would pony up more for him. I guess from this, both the Marlins and Rockies would be interested if they lose out on Torrealba.

As for other teams, would Cincinnati be a fit? They are low-budget and if I'm not mistaken, have had fits at the catcher position for a while now. Maybe work out a deal for Dunn starting with Laird

http://www.lonestarball.com/story/2007/11/14/13718/993

give me Eric Hurley and Teagarden and probably Francisco and you got a deal.

M2
03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Here's the thing about the catcher situation: Krivsky's the practical sort, if he thinks he needs it, he goes and gets it.

Whether he finds a good catcher I don't know, but I'll be stunned if the Reds dont have a new catcher within the next two weeks.

princeton
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Here's the thing about the catcher situation: Krivsky's the practical sort, if he thinks he needs it, he goes and gets it.

Whether he finds a good catcher I don't know, but I'll be stunned if the Reds dont have a new catcher within the next two weeks.

Phone lines are hot, trying to anticipate who's up tight against options and 40 man roster. Waiver wires are scrutinized.

Krivsky's team is at its best when they're knocking over the old ladies in Filene's Basement.

Jpup
03-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Phone lines are hot, trying to anticipate who's up tight against options and 40 man roster. Waiver wires are scrutinized.

Krivsky's team is at its best when they're knocking over the old ladies in Filene's Basement.

He found Brandon Phillips for a song.

M2
03-19-2008, 11:30 AM

Does this mean Krivsky's wearing nothing but a bra and panties and he bounces between discount racks?

Falls City Beer
03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Krivsky's the practical sort, if he thinks he needs it, he goes and gets it.

This is a bit like saying: that prisoner's a quick thinker--he knows who to call to get bail money. :p:

RFS62
03-19-2008, 11:31 AM

Agreed. And you'll never know he was working on a deal when it materializes.

That's awesome.

:laugh:

hippie07
03-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm generally against trading Homer Bailey right now, as I'd like to see him improve himself in AAA, but how about Homer Bailey for Saltalamacchia? Homer goes back home to Texas and the Reds get their catcher for the next decade. Meanwhile, Texas gets their pitching boost and Laird keeps the plate warm until Teagarden is ready.

Texas does have a history of moving prospects they acquired just before they're ready to bloom, like Adrian Gonzalez for instance. They have also traded away future stars like Carlos Pena, Chris Young, (and hopefully Edinson Volquez.)

I think I'd do Bailey for Saltalamacchia, but that would be kinda weird from Texas's standpoint - they basically trade Volquez for Bailey and Salty for Hamilton... I don't know...

How does Salty handle pitchers?

2 Points:
1. The Reds are probably looking for a SOLID catcher - if they were interested in getting by at the catching position, I think they'd wait on Ross and fill in w/ Valentin and Bako (or minor leaguers, etc). So, I'm thinking they're looking for more than just a stop-gap if they are indeed desperately seeking a cathcer.
2. I would guess that WK is also seeking someone good at handling a young pitching staff.. that's probably more important to him to the catcher's defense or offense, because WK seems to be all about getting the best out of pitching (good up-the-middle defense, etc.)

Saltalamacchia matches point 1, but not point 2... but I suppose Javy could handle Cueto & Volquez if they can't work well w/ Salty, I suppose.

Benihana
03-19-2008, 11:56 AM
I think I'd do Bailey for Saltalamacchia, but that would be kinda weird from Texas's standpoint - they basically trade Volquez for Bailey and Salty for Hamilton... I don't know...

Actually I think that makes a lot of sense from Texas' standpoint. Bailey has always been rated ahead of Volquez as a pitching prospect, and moving Salty for Hamilton is trading from a position of surplus (Laird and Teagarden) to obtain a position of extreme need. Both are young and have had success at the major league level, but it's simply moving a surplus to fill a need.

Now as far as Salty handling a young pitching staff, I think you have a point there.

bucksfan2
03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
I think WK looks at catcher as a defensive position with little to do with offense. I have a feeling that he will pick up a catcher but I think it will be a primarily defensive catcher with a little pop in his bat. Someone similar to Ross.

chicoruiz
03-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I like the idea of Hernandez working with Cueto & Volquez this year, but he's a temporary fix- if we get him, we know we'll probably be right back in the catcher's market next year. Of course, if you don't see us as contenders this year, you can always gamble on trading Junior or somebody at the deadline and picking up a "catcher of the future"...

Chip R
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I think WK looks at catcher as a defensive position with little to do with offense. I have a feeling that he will pick up a catcher but I think it will be a primarily defensive catcher with a little pop in his bat. Someone similar to Ross.

So why is Javy still on the team?

BRM
03-19-2008, 12:51 PM

To help attract female fans?

Chip R
03-19-2008, 12:52 PM

Well, that's a given.

M2
03-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Bom chicka wah wah

Steve4192
03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I have a feeling that he will pick up a catcher but I think it will be a primarily defensive catcher with a little pop in his bat. Someone similar to Ross.

+1

I don't think he is aiming for one of the young guys with a high ceiling at the dish and questionable skills behind it. He's looking for guys in their late 20s who can handle a pitching staff and field the position. Guys like Laird.

RFS62
03-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Krusty
03-19-2008, 01:01 PM
How about Freel and Coutlangus to Texas for Laird and a minor leaguer?

chicoruiz
03-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Can't figure out the love for Laird...He's had one good season as a backup, but was clearly overmatched as a starter in 2007. I'd just as leave have Ross.

Steve4192
03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Can't figure out the love for Laird...He's had one good season as a backup, but was clearly overmatched as a starter in 2007. I'd just as leave have Ross.

I agree that Laird & Ross aren't all that different. But Ross has a balky back and is on the wrong side of 30. Chances are, the Reds #2 catcher will see a LOT of playing time in 2008.

Net, don't compare Laird to Ross. Compare him to Valentin &/or Bako.

BRM
03-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I was under the impression Laird would be a defensive upgrade over any of the current three (Ross, Bako, Javy). Is that incorrect?

Steve4192
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I was under the impression Laird would be a defensive upgrade over any of the current three (Ross, Bako, Javy). Is that incorrect?

He's a slight defensive upgrade versus a healthy Ross and a MASSIVE upgrade over Javy.

If the Reds can acquire him for Freel plus a miscellaneous single-A pitcher, I'm all for it.

*BaseClogger*
03-20-2008, 01:14 AM

amen

puca
03-20-2008, 07:26 AM
It's looking more and more like Ross might not be an option, and hence the scramble.

It shouldn't be all that difficult to find an upgrade over Valentin/Balko. It's much tougher to find one that is capable of starting the bulk of the season. The Reds need to find a defensively sound catcher with a repulation of handling pitchers. The Reds need Volquez/Cueto to succeed (short and long term) much more than they need average offensive production from the catcher slot in 2008.

*BaseClogger*
03-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Let 'em go get a vet like Bengie Molina or Ramon Hernandez...

OnBaseMachine
03-20-2008, 08:52 PM
If Ross does start on the DL, the Reds would likely go with Javier Valentin and non-roster invitee Paul Bako behind the plate -- if the season started today.

However, rumors have buzzed around the complex that the Reds are seeking catching help elsewhere. They are one of multiple teams that inquired about trading for the Rangers' Gerald Laird. But Texas isn't interested in dealing Laird and appears likely to go with him as its No. 1 catcher.

A Major League source said that free-agent catcher Humberto Cota, who was cut from the Nationals this week, offered his services to the Reds. Cota was told that Cincinnati wasn't interested.

Bako entered Thursday batting .304 (7-for-23) but batted .209 or lower the past two seasons. Valentin entered the day hitting .227 (5-for-22) this spring and has not caught regularly for an extended period. Ross batted .203 with 17 home runs and 39 RBIs in 112 games last season.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080320&content_id=2447528&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Reds Nd2
03-20-2008, 09:04 PM
But Texas isn't interested in dealing Laird and appears likely to go with him as its No. 1 catcher.

I don't blame them.