PDA

View Full Version : Irritating co-worker habits--Coughing

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Do you have any coworkers with habits/issues that drive you nuts? Ok, I'm not going to say anything to her directly because at her age it would appear there is nothing she can do about it now but I work with a lady that has to be in her mid-60's. She has to be close to retirement. The lady coughs incessantly all day long. I am assuming she is/was a heavy smoker. She is not my boss but her office is next to my boss's. I mean literally every 20 seconds all day long one after the other after the other. It's a wonder she can even draw a good breath or have a productive day. However, I have noticed when we have our 1 hour floor meetings she doesn't cough one time?!?!?The way our pods are positioned I seem to be in the line of fire and the department closest to her office is customer service so they are on the phone 24/7 and probably dont hear her anyway...oh well......

Dom Heffner
03-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I have an employee who goes through paper towels like they're going out of style.

Oh, the wind blew a certain way? Well, let me pull out this endless roll of paper towels that my boss keeps springing for.....

:)

SunDeck
03-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Some of them keep showing up. Drives me nuts.

savafan
03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Saying I'm sorry and excuse me for every little thing. It drives me crazy!

GAC
03-18-2008, 08:43 PM
One who has no problem picking his nose, even when he's talking with you.

SunDeck
03-18-2008, 10:48 PM
One who has no problem picking his nose, even when he's talking with you.

Is that a Honda plant or a day care? Please tell me you call him Digger.

Ltlabner
03-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Had a past coworker with whom I shared an office.

About once a week she would let loose with a sneeze. One of those ones where it's sorta like...aaaahhhhhhCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW WWWWW and it's done at the top of your lungs.

Not only was it anoying, it was embrassing when you were on the phone with a customer and they'd be startled by it. One guy even said, "what the hell is wrong with that idiot". I really wanted to ask him to repeat himself and throw it on speaker.

SunDeck
03-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Past coworker? Was he a loud eater too, Ltlabner?

Ltlabner
03-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Past coworker? Was he a loud eater too, Ltlabner?

Listen here Man-Purse!

And no, she wasn't a loud eater. Just insanely loud sneezes that would startle the hell out of me.

:p:

CrackerJack
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Throat clearing woman in her 30's...very loud, heard all the way across a large office. Some days better than others, but done a couple of times about every 15-20 minutes or so for about 5-8 hours a day. "Eh heh heeemmmm!!!" "Uh hemmmm!"

Surprisingly I have never worked with anyone like that before.

But then, there are the two chatty girls, you know, good friends, bent on creating their own small cubicle empire within the company no one can touch or break up, thinks everyone is conspiring against them, and alllll day long non-stop chatting about shopping, jewelry, pets, kids, and God knows what else, combined with high pitched laughing, repetitive use of the word "yeah" and so on. 8:30am? You get a loud, roaring "Good Morning <insert your name here>!!!!!!!!!!!!!" followed by laughter and teasing because you are tired - because they've been in since 7:30 slugging coffee like liquor, preparing for the day's 8 hour chat session.

Does work get done? Hardly. Does it distract the hell out of me and disrupt me and make me fairly miserable? Absolutely.

Do I want to get the hell out of the corporate office environment? Of course. I can act the part well, but I don't fit in and it shows at times. So much so I'm going back to school no matter what it takes and changing career paths near age 40. Thank God they pay me fairly well, the only thing that keeps me there at all.

Razor Shines
03-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I have co-workers who get in fist fights once or twice a week. It was mildy amusing at first but now it's midly annoying.

paintmered
03-18-2008, 11:40 PM
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Do-the-Best-Office-Prank-Ever-6012496

(Not that I condone doing this to your co-worker)

TeamSelig
03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
I had a co-worker that would do nothing and just talk to me. So i'd chat with the guy... as I worked. Sometimes I'd get mistaken for slacking off, even though I can talk & work at the same pace as just working.

MrCinatit
03-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Had a coworker who made a living at talking. He tried it with me, until I uttered that fatal phrase: "Hey, pick up the other end of this box..." Before I could even finish, he suddenly had something very important to do.

The chronic smokers get me. Not the ones who take a couple of smoke breaks a day, the ones who take a couple of smoke breaks an hour.
The same goes for those who have to use the bathroom a couple of times an hour.
Or those who go into the break room every hour for a few minutes.

SunDeck
03-19-2008, 07:31 AM
I have allergies that affect me all year long. My throat is always full of gunk, so I am an annoying throat clearing guy at work.

There are a couple people at my office who don't understand when a conversation is over. And what's worse, one of them often pauses for a long time after one topic, then starts another just when you are starting to turn and walk away. It's like a game.

03-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Rats in a union shop.

BRM
03-19-2008, 11:05 AM
I have co-workers who get in fist fights once or twice a week. It was mildy amusing at first but now it's midly annoying.

They get into fist fights at work? Wow.

TeamCasey
03-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Wow! You guys are tough.

3 things:

Someone who wants to chat and doesn't take a hint that you're busy.

Someone who interrupts a work conversation like their stuff is more important, or interjects in a conversation they have no part in.

Someone who stands at your door and desk and just stares.

rotnoid
03-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I know this is a given, but I can't stand the loud talkers. For right now I'm stuck smack in the middle of Cube City and I can hear every last detail about the personal lives of some of the folks around me (and not just those directly adjacent). Quiet down guys, this isn't Mayberry and Sarah doesn't have to connect you. Technology's come a long way. Stop yelling!

SunDeck
03-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Razor works with ultimate fighters.

CrackerJack
03-19-2008, 11:15 AM
I have allergies that affect me all year long. My throat is always full of gunk, so I am an annoying throat clearing guy at work.

There are a couple people at my office who don't understand when a conversation is over. And what's worse, one of them often pauses for a long time after one topic, then starts another just when you are starting to turn and walk away. It's like a game.

I figured it was allergies regarding my co-worker with the throat clearing. I have them too. I have bought and use an air filter/purifier in my bedroom at night and it has completely cleared up my sinus and allergy problems. May not work for everyone.

I don't dislike her because of it, but feel she could clear her throat without someone 50 feet away hearing every bit of it I suppose. It's just obnoxious and I've never heard someone in my life have to clear their throat so loudly and often like that - she needs to see a doctor as others in the office complain about it too. It can't be healthy and something is obviously pretty wrong with her - take care of it!

Razor Shines
03-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Yeah. They're lowly roofers, I do copper work. I am far above their fighting. :p:

Actually it's not really as bad as it sounds, most of them are younger guys who have been friends for a long time and hang out all the time outside of work, so it's more like brothers getting on each other's nerves. My younger brother is one of the worst offenders. The only times I step in and stop it are the times that they are fighting on the roof of a house 30-40ft up, which does happen occasionally (hard to believe, I didn't believe it until I saw it the first time). I am sure I would find it much more annoying if I worked around them all the time.

Razor Shines
03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Razor works with ultimate fighters.

Pretty much. I'm not kidding, they think they are going to be in the UFC someday.

BRM
03-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Pretty much. I'm not kidding, they think they are going to be in the UFC someday.

It's good to have dreams.

Razor Shines
03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
It's good to have dreams.

I know. I wish I could grow up to get the crap kicked and punched out of me.

BRM
03-19-2008, 11:35 AM
I know. I wish I could grow up to get the crap kicked and punched out of me.

As long as you get paid well for it...

SeeinRed
03-19-2008, 01:48 PM
When working for TWC, I knew a lot of guys who constantly claimed they were training to do mixed martial art competitions to get into the UFC. Its pretty much the new WWF as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, the fighting is real, but when people at work and school repeat what you say because they think it was funny and try to replicate your signature move it is exactly the same. I also worked with a guy there who was still into the whole wrestling thing. He would always walk around and imitate WWE stars and try to put you in headlocks and what have you. He was one of my GF's friends so that made it even worse. She would always drag me along to the wing joint where they had the pay-per views. BTW, if you think you look cool by imitating your favorite wrestler, you couldn't be more wrong. As cheesey as it looks on TV, its even worse in person.

HeatherC1212
03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
I have one coworker who talks loudly all the time (on the phone or just talking to the person in the next cube), who doesn't stay in her area at all (and she's a customer service rep so she's really supposed to stay there for most of the day instead of disappearing for sometimes twenty minutes at a time :eek: ), and who makes every single little thing into some big drama that has to be dealt with RIGHT NOW. She is one of the most annoying coworkers I have ever had and this is coming from someone who now sits on the other side of the room and STILL notices all these things! There is a very noticable change in everyone when she's not here...we're all a lot happier, LOL :lol:

WebScorpion
03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I work in a building where everyone is in these small outer offices, some have one person, some have 2 people, and some have 3 depending upon the employees position's. There are a couple people who alwys use their speakerphone for every phone conversation, turn up the volume and talk loudly, so that everyone can hear both sides of their conversation. Each office has a door, so you'd think they could at least close their door.

Of course, I handle it very maturely by slamming my door whenever they annoy me, so the person on the other end asks, "What was that?"

Probably the only thing the other people in my office hate worse than the loud speakerphone users is the guy who always slams his door.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

RichRed
03-19-2008, 06:04 PM
"Joan," we'll call her, is STILL saying "Hasta la vista, baby" when someone leaves for the day.

Surely no judge would convict me, right?

Razor Shines
03-19-2008, 06:09 PM
"Joan," we'll call her, is STILL saying "Hasta la vista, baby" when someone leaves for the day.

Surely no judge would convict me, right?

Nope. A sand wedge to the temple ought to do it.

RichRed
03-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Another "Joan"-ism, though it's not exclusive to her:

"Mary" is away from her desk. "Burt" from IT sits at her desk temporarily to fix her computer. "Joan" walks by and says, "Mary, how you've changed! Ha-ha!"

Has that ever been funny? And is my company the only one where people do this?

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find my sand wedge.

WMR
03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Looks like someone's got a case of the Monday's!

RichRed
03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Looks like someone's got a case of the Monday's!

:) Funny you should say that. I've often said that "Joan" is one step away from being that woman.

http://circadianshift.net/images/peter1.jpg

MrCinatit
03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
There are a couple people who alwys use their speakerphone for every phone conversation, turn up the volume and talk loudly, so that everyone can hear both sides of their conversation.

The excessive use of speaker phones annoys me. There are many who use the speaker phone option simply because they have finally figured out the speaker phone option and want to show off.
If you are calling someone for a short conversation while you have your feet propped on your desk and hands knit behind your head, you don't need to be using a speaker phone.

I have found a good solution when coworkers call me while using speaker phone. "What?" "Huh?" "I can't understand a word you're saying."

GAC
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Co-workers at lunchtime who can't chew their food with their mouths closed. It's like looking down your garbage disposal.

Redlegs23
03-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Wow, this is the topic for me.

Let's see, a guy I work with in my office literally runs wherever he goes. Need to ask someone a question, better run there. I get it you're busy, I'm busy too, but running in the office? C'mon.

Same guy pretty much yells while he's on the phone. I can just picture the people on the other end holding the phone 4 feet from their ear. What makes it worse is that he has a bad lissssp.

Another office "joke" that is way overly used and completely not funny..."Oh, I see you and Eric are both wearing blue, I didn't get the memo that today is blue shirt day." har har har har har!!!!!!!!!

Nothing is worse than the running though. I'll be plugging away and I have somebody dart past my cube shaking the entire floor and I just want to stab someone with my pencil.

I'm sure there are more, I'll be back.

GAC
03-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I work in a factory, and it simply amazes me the way the employees, and it's primarily men, treat the cafeteria and locker rooms. They simply trash them. And it really urks me when people don't know how to flush a urinal or toilet.

I really feel sorry for the help that has to daily clean up after these slobs.

westofyou
03-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I work at home...always have as my main work center... something like 14 years now.

I loath office work, and will make sure that any future job allows some time to work from home... as for coworkers I have a guy who wants to talk over things prior to a client meeting after a client meeting and at times when on the phone with the clients he'll IM me instructions.... I told him recently to stop that and to assume that I knew what I was doing and he'd have a smoother time operating under that assumption then the other way.

rotnoid
03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
:) Funny you should say that. I've often said that "Joan" is one step away from being that woman.

http://circadianshift.net/images/peter1.jpg

Interesting, we've got one of these, only nowhere near as funny.

http://www.esoterically.net/log/images/mimi.jpg

Red in Chicago
03-21-2008, 04:51 PM
We have a manager in our office that really should be working as a Walmart greeter. The only time you see him, is first thing in the morning, when he makes the rounds...Hi John! Hi Sue! Oy vey. This brief greeting followed by his prior nights highlights of events. Who cares. No one likes you. Shut up and go away already jackass