PDA

View Full Version : What do Spring Training Stats Mean?

WVRedsFan
03-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm trying to figure this out. It appears if a starting lineup had to be put on the field today, it would consist of:

1B - Scott Hatteberg - .394
2B - Brandon Phillips - .235
SS - Juan Castro - .296
3B - Jeff Keppinger - .361
LF - Adam Dunn - .214
CF - Ryan Freel - .378
RF - Ken Griffey Jr. - .286
C - Paul Bako - .304
(Phillips, Griffey, and Dunn added just because they will)

Freel has been given more chances at bat than anyone (37) but Bruce (39), which given their statistics (Freel has him in average by .378 to .254, and has shown more RBI's and hits) it would appear that Bruce might not be with the big club in a couple of weeks. That's sad. Encarnacion is on the interstate and Votto is likewise. The pitching is a mystery with Bailey and Beslile getting lit up among potential starters and Majewski and Affeldt doing the same in the bullpen. What does it mean?

*BaseClogger*
03-19-2008, 12:48 AM
almost nothing

blumj
03-19-2008, 01:05 AM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7247
Nothing

Ltlabner
03-19-2008, 06:56 AM
1B - Scott Hatteberg - .394
2B - Brandon Phillips - .235
SS - Juan Castro - .296
3B - Jeff Keppinger - .361
LF - Adam Dunn - .214
CF - Ryan Freel - .378
RF - Ken Griffey Jr. - .286
C - Paul Bako - .304
(Phillips, Griffey, and Dunn added just because they will)

Where do you get Kepp at 3B? Has he even been mentioned as an option there? He may have played a few games there durring ST but lots of utility guys get reps at different spots during spring. Doesn't mean they are being handed the position. I don't recall anything to suggest EE wasn't going to be at 3B.

I can see Kepp at SS over Castro, but I'll grant you that with Dusty at the helm + the Reds love of Castro it's not unreasonable to suggest he'll get lots of time at SS until Gonzo returns.

You might as well pencil in Patterson in CF, not Freel. A Patterson/Hopper combo is far more likely IMO. Check out all the various news stories that have been posted in other threads.

RedlegJake
03-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Patterson, Griffey and Dunn in the outfield, with Bruce to AAA
Hatteberg at first with Votto going to AAA until he gets his stroke back
BP at 2nd
Kepp at SS with Castro the first IF sub
EE at third (Dusty doesn't care about his slow start - he's a vet, with Joey, however, it matters)
Ross, Bako and Javy - unless they get a trade done
Freel, Hopper and Green on the bench??

The bench positions are fluid but he starters are, imo, pretty much set for Dusty right now. I think he likes Votto but will send him down to start just to get his stroke going at AAA then bring him up later.

Bako is #2 behind Ross and may even end up #1 with Dusty. He has veteran presence and can handle the kids.:rolleyes:

If they've targeted Laird you have to wonder if Bailey is being dangled. Home to Texas, a young arm to replace Volquez, with Laird coming to Cincy and I'd hope, a young prospect arm as well. If so, I don't like it. Texas is desperate for pitching (again). I'd rather see Belisle for Laird but the Reds may feel they have to overpay at this point, especially if Dusty is really unhappy with Ross/Bako/Javy and tells Wayne they won't get it done.

WVRedsFan
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Where do you get Kepp at 3B? Has he even been mentioned as an option there? He may have played a few games there durring ST but lots of utility guys get reps at different spots during spring. Doesn't mean they are being handed the position. I don't recall anything to suggest EE wasn't going to be at 3B.

I can see Kepp at SS over Castro, but I'll grant you that with Dusty at the helm + the Reds love of Castro it's not unreasonable to suggest he'll get lots of time at SS until Gonzo returns.

You might as well pencil in Patterson in CF, not Freel. A Patterson/Hopper combo is far more likely IMO. Check out all the various news stories that have been posted in other threads.
I was going by what they had done in the spring and the number of at-bats they had been given. I don't think any of this has been mentioned. I still say that Dusty will play Freel most of the time in CF if he's still here come Opening Day, but you can bet that Castro will see plenty of playing time, something I cannot understand. I guess a good personality and a reputation go a long way with the Reds. I can't imagine any other club even having Juan on their roster.

Far East
03-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Too few plate appearances upon which to make a life and death decision, but by opening day, the ability to get on base by hitting the ball in addition to having a batting eye that produces walks might have the "most" meaning among ST's small sample of ABs -- at least for those who did not come to camp already having a lock on a roster spot.

Here is OBP for the top guys having at least 10 AB:

Player -------- AB ----- OBP

Jerry Gil --11 --1.000
Andy Green 28 --0.786
Jerry Hairston --13 --0.692
Scott Hatteberg --34 --0.559
Corey Patterson --22 --0.545
Craig Tatum --13 --0.538
Adam Rosales --28 --0.500
Drew T. Anderson --34 --0.500
Ken Griffey --29 --0.483
Brandon Phillips --38 --0.447