PDA

View Full Version : Trade Advice- 2 teams, 2 trades

Benihana
03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I have two teams, and there are two trades I'm considering. Both are standard 5x5 leagues:

TEAM A

C G.Soto
1B P.Fielder
2B I.Kinsler
SS C.Guillen
3B E.Encarnacion
OF M.Holliday
OF L.Berkman
OF C.Granderson
UT C.Hart

BN V.Wells
BN J.Hamilton
BN O.Cabrera

SP R.Oswalt
SP F.Liriano
SP D.McGowan
SP D.Lowe
SP J.Guthrie
SP Z.Greinke
RP F.Cordero
RP B.Lyon
RP G.Sherrill

I'm considering trading Vernon Wells and Brandon Lyon for Roy Halladay. I'd prefer to keep Lyon and move a starter, but the guy is insisting on a closer being included. Do you think that's too much for Halladay? (He would accept Sherrill instead of Lyon if I preferred.) I'm worried that my (starting) pitching is too weak.

TRADE A
I trade Wells and Lyon for Halladay

Additionally, I think I'm going to drop Guthrie and Greinke to pick up Cueto and Volquez. Is that too much of a homer move or does it make sense for the upside?

TEAM B (in a different league than Team A)

C Posada
1B Pena
2B NONE
SS Reyes
3B A.Ramirez
OF Beltran
OF Guerrero
OF Markakis
UT Swisher

BN Kemp
BN E.Encarnacion

SP Bedard
SP Oswalt
SP Kazmir
SP Hill
SP Cain
SP Harden
RP F.Cordero
RP Soria
RP Gregg
RP Sherrill
RP Howry

I'm concerned that this team is the opposite of TEAM A, and it is too pitching-heavy. Also, I'm mainly concerned about the lack of a second baseman. So here's the deal I'm considering:

TRADE B
I trade Rich Hill and George Sherrill for Dan Uggla

I don't need stolen bases, I need power. Uggla provides that at a position I need. I would then pickup either Cueto or Volquez with the newly vacated roster spot. Thoughts?

What is your overall evaluation of either/both of these two teams in a standard 5x5 league? Any glaring weaknesses?

Thanks in advance.

REDblooded
03-19-2008, 11:36 AM
trade b is solid for you. I'm not a big Uggla fan, but he does fit a need

Benihana
03-19-2008, 11:58 AM
trade b is solid for you. I'm not a big Uggla fan, but he does fit a need

I'm not either, but I agree.

As an alternative, I've been considering moving either Beltran or Bedard along with Bob Howry for Chase Utley on Team B. What do you think?

Also, what do you think about Trade A? Thanks.

REDblooded
03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I'd see if you can't land a better arm than Halladay

Buckeye33
03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm not either, but I agree.

As an alternative, I've been considering moving either Beltran or Bedard along with Bob Howry for Chase Utley on Team B. What do you think?

Also, what do you think about Trade A? Thanks.

I'd trade Bedard and Howry for Utley everyday of the week. If you can do that deal on that team, your offense will be sick. You would also still have plenty of pitching and closers.

Get that deal done if you can. I'd even do the Beltran/Howry for Utley/bench player? deal, but try the Bedard one 1st.

Benihana
03-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd trade Bedard and Howry for Utley everyday of the week. If you can do that deal on that team, your offense will be sick. You would also still have plenty of pitching and closers.

Get that deal done if you can. I'd even do the Beltran/Howry for Utley/bench player? deal, but try the Bedard one 1st.

I agree. What do you think of the Wells/Lyon-Halladay deal?

Redsnake
03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I agree. What do you think of the Wells/Lyon-Halladay deal?

Wells and Lyon are primed for a big year. I thought Lyon was the best relief pitcher for the Diamondbacks last year even with Valverde. Wells numbers should be much better than last years. I would try and swap Lyon for Sherrill since we was just named the O's closer. Or use that combo and try for player like Felix, Haren, Verlander or even a Dice-K.

Just my opinion.

Benihana
03-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Wells and Lyon are primed for a big year. I thought Lyon was the best relief pitcher for the Diamondbacks last year even with Valverde. Wells numbers should be much better than last years. I would try and swap Lyon for Sherrill since we was just named the O's closer. Or use that combo and try for player like Felix, Haren, Verlander or even a Dice-K.

Just my opinion.

So you're not concerned about Lyon's awful numbers in ST and the lurking of Tony Pena?

mlbfan30
03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
You have 6 OF for 4 spots, and it's very possible Wells is the worst one there. Lyon is an injury risk, and is probably going to struggle. This is a VERY lopsided trade in favor of you.

Benihana
03-19-2008, 03:30 PM
You have 6 OF for 4 spots, and it's very possible Wells is the worst one there. Lyon is an injury risk, and is probably going to struggle. This is a VERY lopsided trade in favor of you.

would you rather move lyon than sherrill? I believe the other guy is indifferent between the two

Benihana
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Just pulled the trigger on a deal for Team B:

I trade: Matt Cain and Kevin Gregg
I receive: Dan Uggla and my choice of Lastings Milledge or Alex Gordon

Thoughts?

Buckeye33
03-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Just pulled the trigger on a deal for Team B:

I trade: Matt Cain and Kevin Gregg
I receive: Dan Uggla and my choice of Lastings Milledge or Alex Gordon

Thoughts?

I'd want Gordon. Going into last season Gordon was the next big thing. He struggled in his rookie season and should rebound and have a good year. As well, he has 1B and 3B eligibility.

One thing I'd debate on Team B is to drop Howry for a more dominate middle reliever. Howry has no chance to close this year unless Wood and Marmol get injured. I'd try to get Heath Bell, Pat Neshek, Betencourt, or Broxton to fill a reliever spot. These type of pitchers can really off set bad outings by your starters by getting you 1+ IP, with a couple Ks 3 or 4 times in a week and have great ERAs and WHIPs

NorrisHopper30
03-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Lyon has blown his chance of being a closer in ST, I think his ERA is north of 10. Expect Pena or the other guy they have to get it.

REDblooded
03-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Gordon..... that's a no-doubter

Benihana
03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
TEAM A has just offered Curtis Granderson and Brandon Lyon for Jake Peavy, and the Peavy owner is strongly considering it. A definite no-brainer for Team A, no?

Buckeye33
03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
TEAM A has just offered Curtis Granderson and Brandon Lyon for Jake Peavy, and the Peavy owner is strongly considering it. A definite no-brainer for Team A, no?

Yes. You have plenty of depth at OF with Wells and Hamilton. You could really use Peavy to anchor your staff.

No brainer IMO.

Benihana
03-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Yes. You have plenty of depth at OF with Wells and Hamilton. You could really use Peavy to anchor your staff.

No brainer IMO.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Hopefully they accept, I know they're strongly considering it.